PDA

View Full Version : Grip and retard comments

SLG
04-08-2016, 09:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33HD9NxwHp0

I tried to watch this video to improve my grip, but since it's a woman teaching, I just stared at her chest rather than learn anything. Apparently one of Hitler's youth also felt that way. It did make me want to buy more guns though.

Full disclosure, the video is not well edited (in more ways than one) but the info is sound.

Fuller disclosure, the chick in the video is also an SME here, though I haven't seen her in a while.

Dagga Boy
04-08-2016, 09:04 PM
Gamer....

BaiHu
04-08-2016, 09:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33HD9NxwHp0

I tried to watch this video to improve my grip, but since it's a woman teaching, I just stared at her chest rather than learn anything. Apparently one of Hitler's youth also felt that way. It did make me want to buy more guns though.

Full disclosure, the video is not well edited (in more ways than one) but the info is sound.

Fuller disclosure, the chick in the video is also an SME here, though I haven't seen her in a while.
Sexist. On the upside she does make videos so you can see her occasionally.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MVS
04-08-2016, 09:38 PM
Listened to her on a podcast recently while hiking. I think it was with Mike Seeklander. Very interesting. I was blown away when she said they were shooting 100,000 rounds a year at the AMU.

Lon
04-08-2016, 10:06 PM
Nice video. The first time I met her was back in her AMU days. Think she was 19 or 20. It was at a Single Stack Classic. Time flies.

MD7305
04-08-2016, 10:29 PM
Her hubby's gonna be pissed...

...if I put a magwell on my Glock. :p

In all seriousness, great video. Her book "Shoot" is also very informative. I've passed my copy along to a series of new shooters and they all took something away from it.

Drang
04-09-2016, 03:12 AM
She didn't do the "Shooting while standing on one foot" thing she did when she did S&W Days at the FLGS.

Chuck Haggard
04-09-2016, 05:29 AM
Douchebags like that need to be aggressively censored when they troll. No reason to keep comments like that on the site.

You Tube is a hive of fuckery and retardery. Idiots on there want to tell Kyle Lamb he doesn't know anything about gunfighting, Julie that she shouldn't be shooting, etc.

JM Campbell
04-09-2016, 08:14 AM
I was honestly disappointed her ear pro and eye pro did not color coordinate and that her earings also had no flow with her accessories.

;)

I got to get back on amazon and order some books to read.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

rob_s
04-09-2016, 08:50 AM
Met her many moons ago at an IDPA state match when she had a different name and shot for a different company. We all have our bad days, and perhaps she's grown up since then, but I was not impressed with her behavior. Threw several hissy fits about stages that tested skills she clearly did not have at the time. Meanwhile her teammate just smiled and did what was asked.

LittleLebowski
04-09-2016, 08:54 AM
Never read the comments, especially mine.

SLG
04-09-2016, 09:14 AM
Met her many moons ago at an IDPA state match when she had a different name and shot for a different company. We all have our bad days, and perhaps she's grown up since then, but I was not impressed with her behavior. Threw several hissy fits about stages that tested skills she clearly did not have at the time. Meanwhile her teammate just smiled and did what was asked.

Florida?

rob_s
04-09-2016, 09:32 AM
Florida?

Yes.

SLG
04-09-2016, 09:34 AM
Yes.

You are remembered as well.

eta: I'm a little biased, but Julie is widely regarded as one of the nicest, most professional people in the industry. Not to mention one of the most successful and in demand. At that match, (her first IDPA match) she was treated like garbage (as a person and a woman) from the RO's. Most of the top shooters left IDPA and have not really returned, because of how ridiculous IDPA RO's and others have acted over the years. It is one of the reasons Todd and I created KSTG.

If you disagree with information presented by a member here (in her case, an SME), feel free to provide facts or information to support your point. I don't expect anyone to blindly believe me, just because Todd did. However, insulting someone the way you did - "and perhaps she's grown up since then" - won't go well for you.

Then again, you obviously don't care, and are lucky we live in a civilized society.

LittleLebowski
04-09-2016, 09:50 AM
are lucky we live in a civilized society.

Well there went my Staff professionalism and a mouthful of coffee :D

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/f1/cb/32/f1cb3213249c849827956a72442401f6.gif

Beat Trash
04-09-2016, 10:06 AM
I've never met her. I watched the video. And yes, thanks to the comments in the original post, I did catch myself sneaking a peak at her chest.

Did I learn anything about my grip that I didn't already know? Nope. But I wish she could spend a day pretending to be one of my agency's instructors. She did an excellent job of explaining and demonstrating proper grip.

Many can do a task. Not everyone can teach how to do a task. Fewer still can articulate to a novice, using simple words, how to do a task. She could teach our training staff a few things on how to teach a proper grip to new recruits.

It amazes me to be on the line during training and see gaps between the top of the shooting hand and the pistol on issued M&P9's. The instructors either don't notice or don't care.

Totem Polar
04-09-2016, 11:29 AM
Douchebags like that need to be aggressively censored when they troll. No reason to keep comments like that on the site.

You Tube is a hive of fuckery and retardery. Idiots on there want to tell Kyle Lamb he doesn't know anything about gunfighting, Julie that she shouldn't be shooting, etc.
I wish I could remember who to credit for the wise words: "reading the comments after any story is like ordering a steak with a side dish of maggots."

HopetonBrown
04-09-2016, 12:41 PM
I like Julie, she seems born with a pleasant public demeanor. I wish I had 1/100th of the positive energy she exudes. She's a great ambassador for shooting sports. I think she shoots pretty good, too.

She posted about the negative comments on her Instagram. Anyone with swastikas in their user name should be immediately deleted, and waterboarded.

SLG
04-09-2016, 12:50 PM
I wish I could remember who to credit for the wise words: "reading the comments after any story is like ordering a steak with a side dish of maggots."

Very true. And is what I get here as well. I should have known better than to post an attempt at some light hearted humor. Of course, most of you get it, so maybe I just need to htfu.

LittleLebowski
04-09-2016, 12:54 PM
Very true. And is what I get here as well. I should have known better than to post an attempt at some light hearted humor. Of course, most of you get it, so maybe I just need to htfu.

You just need some p-dog therapy, that's all and I happen to know a guy... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b7UaHFosnU

LittleLebowski
04-09-2016, 01:49 PM
Julie is widely regarded as one of the nicest, most professional people in the industry. Not to mention one of the most successful and in demand.

I have many friends who have met her and they say the same. Friends outside of our little Todd-created circle. Not to mention my wife speaking to me about how impressed she is with Julie's social media and appearances.

GRV
04-09-2016, 01:56 PM
I'll just leave this post as a memorial to all the jokes I wanted to crack...before I remembered how much I like my head connected to my neck...or having a head at all...or only occasionally looking behind myself...

BillSWPA
04-09-2016, 08:10 PM
I thought it was a well done video. Not everyone has the benefit of proper training, and even for those that do, not every point has been made well by every instructor they may have had. Videos like this serve an important purpose. I didn't learn anything new, but given the length of time I have spent shooting and the amount of time and money I have invested in training, it would have been a surprisingly short time ago when I would have learned something from it.

Reading the comments afterward is always a waste of time.

TCinVA
04-09-2016, 10:11 PM
Nothing worthwhile can be attempted without some lower order primates throwing poo at it.

Lester Polfus
04-09-2016, 10:28 PM
I was reading this on my tablet, jumped on the computer to comment and couldn't find it. I thought it got deleted, but I guess not.

Two observations:

1) I sometimes wish dueling was still legal.

2) From time to time over the years I've run across JG in various interviews and such, and have always found that in addition to being an incredible shooter, to be articulate, positive and an excellent representative of the shooting community.

BaiHu
04-09-2016, 10:31 PM
I like purdy guns, purdy girls and purdy words.

45dotACP
04-09-2016, 10:36 PM
Ahhh the YouTube comments section...The internet version of writing on the bathroom stall.

SecondsCount
04-09-2016, 11:17 PM

That is the first negative thing I have ever heard about Julie G.

Every time I have been to SHOT, my wife asks to go visit with Julie in the S&W booth, and Julie is always very gracious and supportive of her, even when she is pregnant.

NickA
04-09-2016, 11:33 PM
One of the most successful, respected and apparently well liked people in the shooting industry but hey, maybe she'll grow up someday. Perhaps if she finds a good man ;-)

Nephrology
04-10-2016, 06:15 AM
Being a woman in the shooting sports - especially a successful woman in the shooting sports - has got to be one of the hardest gigs out there when you consider the kind of shit slobs like us put them through because we never really matured much beyond 9th grade. Glad JG and others like her are still around.

BaiHu
04-10-2016, 07:14 AM
Being a woman in the shooting sports - especially a successful woman in the shooting sports - has got to be one of the hardest gigs out there when you consider the kind of shit slobs like us put them through because we never really matured much beyond 9th grade. Glad JG and others like her are still around.
9th? What do you have a triple PhD? I wouldn't go higher than 6th, but maybe that's just because I only have a bachelor's.

Odin Bravo One
04-10-2016, 12:15 PM
Then again, you obviously don't care, and are lucky we live in a civilized society.

I believe your profession has biased you to believe that we are all civilized. Some of us are less civilized than people expect. And the world tends to be much smaller than they expect as well.

11B10
04-10-2016, 01:27 PM
You just need some p-dog therapy, that's all and I happen to know a guy... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b7UaHFosnU

Well, there went MY coffee!!

11B10
04-10-2016, 01:32 PM

Perfect! I have a co-worker who lives and dies on the "Comments" section of just about anything. He will have a side dish - thanks, Sidheshooter.

Lester Polfus
04-10-2016, 02:15 PM

I'm as "cis male" as they come. I have attended exactly two competitive pistol matches in my life. I was treated like shit at both of them, despite (or perhaps because) shooting quite well.

I can only imagine what a capable woman would endure from those dickheads.

Nephrology
04-10-2016, 04:19 PM
9th? What do you have a triple PhD? I wouldn't go higher than 6th, but maybe that's just because I only have a bachelor's.

well, I am an MD-PhD student, which required being able to spell my own name and refraining from farting loudly during my interview. It was a small miracle that I made it.

I'm as "cis male" as they come. I have attended exactly two competitive pistol matches in my life. I was treated like shit at both of them, despite (or perhaps because) shooting quite well.

I can only imagine what a capable woman would endure from those dickheads.

really? I've shot IDPA +/- USPSA in 3 different CONUS timezones and, with a minor exception of my experience at TCGC in Oregon, it was very collegial and highly enjoyable. Especially in MN. Clubhouse with cheeseburgers and beer after every match? Yes please.

Lester Polfus
04-10-2016, 07:08 PM
... minor exception of my experience at TCGC in Oregon, ...

It's really funny you should mention that.

In all fairness to the people at Tri-County, this was well over 10 years ago, and more a reflection of the people running the matches than the facility.

I really should give it another go. Back then I lived very close to TCGC, so I was bummed. I had plenty of free time, but was so broke I laboriously reloaded on a Lee single stage press c-clamped to my kitchen table.

Now I've got quite a bit more money, but much less time and I'm 32 miles from the closest Starbucks. I'll have to see what Washington state has to offer though.

Tamara
04-10-2016, 07:25 PM
Anyone with swastikas in their user name should be immediately deleted, and waterboarded.

Jesus, complete with the obligatory 14/88, too. :eek: I hate Illinois nazis.

45dotACP
04-10-2016, 07:34 PM
Jesus, complete with the obligatory 14/88, too. :eek: I hate Illinois nazis.
I recently learned that Cicero used to be the hometown of the American Nazi party before whatever reason...

Currently Cicero has the "little village" area...an enormously dense Latino population which makes me chuckle and hope that at least one nazi fuckhead blew an aneurysm when they learned that the overwhelming majority of their Illinois Vaterland speaks Spanish.

Nephrology
04-11-2016, 08:11 AM
It's really funny you should mention that.

In all fairness to the people at Tri-County, this was well over 10 years ago, and more a reflection of the people running the matches than the facility.

I really should give it another go. Back then I lived very close to TCGC, so I was bummed. I had plenty of free time, but was so broke I laboriously reloaded on a Lee single stage press c-clamped to my kitchen table.

Now I've got quite a bit more money, but much less time and I'm 32 miles from the closest Starbucks. I'll have to see what Washington state has to offer though.

It's been a while since I lived in that area, but yeah, my experiences with the matches was kinda meh. Many were nice, but there were a few people that threw hissy fits or threw their (minimal) authority around like real assholes.

Like I said though that was an anomaly. Have always gotten along great with the majority of people I've shot matches with. Really loved my USPSA community out in MN. All great guys.

Cecil Burch
04-11-2016, 08:34 AM
eta: I'm a little biased, but Julie is widely regarded as one of the nicest, most professional people in the industry. Not to mention one of the most successful and in demand. ......

If you disagree with information presented by a member here (in her case, an SME), feel free to provide facts or information to support your point. I don't expect anyone to blindly believe me, just because Todd did. However, insulting someone the way you did - "and perhaps she's grown up since then" - won't go well for you.

Driving anywhere or reading internet comments almost always makes me think of this quote:

“Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”
― Robert E. Howard

Also, in a community like the gun world that loves to dogpile on everyone every chance they get, I have never once seen a negative comment about Julie Golob. That says a lot.

JAD
04-11-2016, 08:40 AM
Florida?
I wonder what year that was. I was active in IDPA at a national level in the '98-'00 range and did not get to meet Ms. Golob, and wonder if I missed out because of that issue. Bummer if so -- I admire her video work and recommend her book frequently.

farscott
04-11-2016, 10:43 AM
As the husband of a wife who likes to shoot and the father of a daughter who inherited the "shooting bug", Ms. Golob is somewhat known to me. My wife and daughter have learned a lot from her, and I bet there are a few (one may be mine) copies of "Shoot" in family bookcases. Both my wife and daughter are partial to S&W firearms, something partially due to Ms. Golob.

Funny how none of that troll's "arguments" hold up under any objective scrutiny.

Rosco Benson
04-11-2016, 10:48 AM
I think the shooting community is lucky to have Julie as a spokesperson. She's a great asset to get more ladies interested in shooting.

A growing and diverse shooting community helps protect our RKBA.

Rosco

Odin Bravo One
04-11-2016, 11:16 AM
And every time a retard with a gun runs his mouth, we lose our RKBA.

taadski
04-11-2016, 09:48 PM
Let's get this thread back on track, mmmm-K? ;)

Boom!

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo324/taadski/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender_zps0o0mvnbi.jpg (http://s388.photobucket.com/user/taadski/media/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender_zps0o0mvnbi.jpg.html)

t

LittleLebowski
04-12-2016, 06:37 AM
Julie should teach a handgun class in Virginia. My wife would attend.

BN
04-12-2016, 07:59 AM
My wife met Julie when she attended one of the early Babes With Bullets classes at Kay and Jerry's. Some time later we saw Julie at an Area USPSA match and Julie remembered my wife and took time to chat with her. Nice lady. :)

We were a little concerned when we learned that Julie was going to marry someone we had never heard of. We hoped it was someone who would support her shooting career. I guess everything turned out OK. ;)

Odin Bravo One
04-12-2016, 03:58 PM

Mine would too. It's not a choice.

GRV
04-12-2016, 08:56 PM
Mine would too. It's not a choice.

Ditto.

...I'm detecting a pattern.

ETA: You know what, we should do a husband/wife shooting class. Boys on one range, girls on the other.

JAD
04-12-2016, 08:58 PM

Julie should teach a handgun class in Texas. I would attend.

Odin Bravo One
04-12-2016, 09:18 PM
Ditto.

...I'm detecting a pattern.

ETA: You know what, we should do a husband/wife shooting class. Boys on one range, girls on the other.

Who for the guys? Not very many people with the proper Mindset and enough technical instructional ability to make the trip north worthwhile. I have an idea of a certain PF.com personality but he would probably have to be bribed.

GRV
04-12-2016, 09:45 PM
Who for the guys? Not very many people with the proper Mindset and enough technical instructional ability to make the trip north worthwhile. I have an idea of a certain PF.com personality but he would probably have to be bribed.

Agreed. Don't you think being in the same square mile as Julie is a pretty good bribe though? Julie's awesome aura is pretty strong. So few people are blessed with that privilege. Maybe that'd sell whoever we decide on.

I'm going to go check with the astro guys to see when the next time the entire solar system will be in alignment is.

Odin Bravo One
04-12-2016, 10:43 PM
The guy I was thinking of is blessed to be in her presence routinely.

GRV
04-13-2016, 03:32 AM
The guy I was thinking of is blessed to be in her presence routinely.

Maybe my attempt at humor was a bit too vague.

LittleLebowski
04-13-2016, 06:57 AM

Name the bribes.

GRV
04-13-2016, 07:07 AM
Name the bribes.

I have an image in my head of LL, wide-eyed, a truck full of all his guns and gear behind him, holding a knife to his wrist ready to make a blood sacrifice.

........or maybe it's me in the image :eek:

Rich@CCC
04-13-2016, 08:34 AM
Sean M,
If you can get that put together the wife and I will drop everything and start making schwag for the event. (The rest of the world will have to wait a few more days. Sorry!)

Odin Bravo One
04-13-2016, 03:27 PM
I need to make it back home one more time before even starting to have that conversation with the parties involved.......... Maybe by this time next year, as I am busy or otherwise occupied for the remainder of this year.

Josh Runkle
04-13-2016, 03:48 PM
I need to make it back home one more time before even starting to have that conversation with the parties involved.......... Maybe by this time next year, as I am busy or otherwise occupied for the remainder of this year.

Stay safe bro.