PDA

View Full Version : Some NFA questions I was asked via PM

LittleLebowski
04-08-2016, 07:00 PM
I'll preface this with my absolute hobbyist status. That is what I am.

Presently, I am thinking that I would like to take the two current Colt 6920's I have and SBR them. By that I mean applying for the tax stamps and then building two short barrel uppers as dedicated suppressor hosts to be attached normally, then when I want/need reattach the longer barrel uppers for use in things like out of state classes. With that, is there another platform that you would look at as a suppressor host over just building a SBR upper and dropping it on the registered and engraved lower? For example, I’ve looked at grabbing something like a SCAR ordering a short barrel and having a can permanently attached. But other than the advantage of just one tax stamp per gun, adjustable gas block and no gas to face I don’t know that that would be cost effective or advantageous.

I'd SBR the Colts. Use the savings to buy red dots and suppressors.

Secondly, I am unsure about possible maintenance issues with a suppressor being permanently affixed, inability to move the can from host to host; additionally there is the legal consideration of minimum overall length that must be satisfied if attached to a rifle so can selection will play a role there.

You would be severely limiting yourself. With a removable suppressor, you can swap it around.

Next, I am looking at purchasing both a .30 cal suppressor and a dedicated 22 suppressor for the first two. I want the .30 cal one for suppressing .300 BLK and the 22 for a 10/22 or the like.

Excellent reasoning, I concur. It depends on your family/friends situation (how many shooters you hang out with) but even two rimfire cans and one 7.62 can would be a good investment. Rimfire cans are so much fun.

I would like one that is both pistol and rifle mountable for 22LR. You know, because reasons… Is there anything else that you would look at specifically for a first purchase, any particular can that you would look at over another? I am thinking about things like quality, which typically equates to durability/longevity, ease of repair, long-term support, simple mounting solution, decibel reduction and warranty. I am I missing any priorities or do I have them in the right order?

Rimfire cans can swap in between hosts, whether they be rifle or pistol. Some rimfire cans are better on rifles than pistols due to FRP (First Round Pop which is when the oxygen in the can is consumed/goes off with the first shot). Monocore cans (one long core instead of many stacked baffles) are notorious for this like say the Sparrow (http://hansohnbrothers.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_66&product_id=56) which absolutely quiets down after the first shot. Don't obsess over cleaning the suppressor; centerfire cans don't need cleaning and rimfire cans need less cleaning than the gunternet tells you.

I'd get the Dead Air Mask (http://hansohnbrothers.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_66&product_id=295) and there's many good choices in the 7.62 can realm. It's really hard to go wrong with the Omega (http://hansohnbrothers.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_69&product_id=297). In fact, those are as close to the safest choices as one can get.

So, SBR the Colts, the Dead Air Mask, and the Omega. Get the SBR paperwork and suppressors ordered now.