PDA

View Full Version : Load data for .38 Special/WST powder

LSP972
04-08-2016, 05:06 PM
I've been using VV N320 for my .38 bunny fart loads, in conjunction with QC/reject Remington 110gr JHP bullets for the past few years. I stumbled across the bullets, several thousand of them, many moons ago, and was given two pounds of the powder; a very nice, clean-burning combination at 3.5 grains of the N320. They have lasted this long because I shoot relatively few of them

Both are running low, and I'm about to start shooting my K frames again, so I need to come up with another load. The local reloading shop has good prices on Bayou Bullets; the 135gr RN is perfect for my needs. But that VV powder must be made from unicorn nuts or something similar, because it is feloniously expensive. Since I'm sitting on 20+ pounds of WST; well, no sense in scrambling for the odd pound of old standby .38 powder, like 231, Bullseye, Unique, etc. that shows up infrequently.

I just finished a rather extensive perusal of the net, and loading info for WST in .38 Special is practically non-existent. I did find a mention of 3.0 grains under a 148 wadcutter; sounds a bit TOO light. And I don't feel like digging out all my reloading manuals; they're out of date anyway. What I'm looking to produce is a mid-range load suitable for practice in 2" and 4" K frames. A little more grunt, IOW, than the bunny farts I use in my featherweight J frames. I've got enough N320 and 110 JHPs to tide me over there for a while.

So, any of you guys who have loaded .38s with WST, I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts. Not interested in ANY other powder.

TIA.

SecondsCount
04-08-2016, 05:12 PM
The Hodgdon reloading data shows 2.5-2.8 grains for a 148 GR. HDY LHBWC.

WST is a faster burning powder so I am not surprised the charges are that low.

deputyG23
04-08-2016, 05:18 PM
WST was the only pistol powder I had on hand after my 231 ran out during the powder drought. I used 3.6 grains with a Georgia Arms 158 grain lead SWC bullet. It will easily shoot minute of coffee cup groups at seven yards out of my 4" M10 or my J frame or Colt Dick Special.

rsa-otc
04-08-2016, 06:11 PM
Load Data shows Winchester load data for nothing under 148 Bbwc and HBWC. For those rounds they list a max of 2.7 with a greater chamber pressure than the listed max of 3.7 under a 158 lswc. I attribute the higher pressures with the 148 due to the deeper seating depth.

LSP972
04-08-2016, 08:06 PM
I attribute the higher pressures with the 148 due to the deeper seating depth.

Yes, that makes sense.

Sigh.

Guess I need to do it the old-fashioned way… start VERY light, and work my way up to the desired level. I used to enjoy that sort of thing. Nowadays, its just a flaming PITA.

Thanks all.

LSP972
04-09-2016, 05:51 PM
Well, my local reloading monger told me that the local CAS guys are crazy about Clays, using 2.5 grains under a Bayou Bullets 105gr pill. Hmmm… Compared to just about every thing else, Clays is cheap- $25 a pound. So I bought one. I just loaded some 135gr RNL BB bullets under 2.6 grains; headed to the range in a minute to see how that works out.

Why, you say, when I said I didn't want to do exactly that (buy another powder)? Its relatively cheap, and the guy said it was burning pretty clean; a lot cleaner than a reduced charge of WST would.

Anyway, I'll see what it does and if this load needs any adjusting.

rsa-otc
04-09-2016, 06:29 PM
Well, my local reloading monger told me that the local CAS guys are crazy about Clays, using 2.5 grains under a Bayou Bullets 105gr pill. Hmmm… Compared to just about every thing else, Clays is cheap- $25 a pound. So I bought one. I just loaded some 135gr RNL BB bullets under 2.6 grains; headed to the range in a minute to see how that works out.

Why, you say, when I said I didn't want to do exactly that (buy another powder)? Its relatively cheap, and the guy said it was burning pretty clean; a lot cleaner than a reduced charge of WST would.

Anyway, I'll see what it does and if this load needs any adjusting.

Love Clays for 38. My go to load making IDPA 105 PF:

125 Coated RN or FP 3.6 grains making 867 FPS with a SD of 45, while the SD is a bit high they still produce decent accuracy
158 Coated RN 3.2 grains making 677 FPS with a SD of 21

When I know that the match will have a lot of knock down steel I go with 3.6 under 158 grain pill doing 843 with a SD of 16.

Spent my last sanctioned match 3 years ago with loads that passed the 105 IDPA minimum power factor center punching multiple pepper poppers and watch them sit there and do nothing. While I was able to do a reshoot each time because of stage prop malfunctions it does mess with your mojo and I decided then I would at least run 125 power factor or above and not deal with it in the future.

Others have remarked how clean my loads are as well.

LSP972
04-18-2016, 06:08 PM
The 2.6 of Clays was so light (non-existent recoil) I was concerned about the bullet making it out of the barrel; these reminded me of the loads the Louisiana Sheriff's Association/Municipal Peace Officer's Association guys used to shoot when playing the Toby Bancroft Quick-Draw game. I dunno what they were loaded with- 1.5 of Bullseye, I suspect; over a 148gr WC- but they had just enough velocity to penetrate a cardboard target backer.

So I went up to 3.6 of Clays. Still light, but at least there's SOME recoil. The same powder measure setting yields 4.0 of WST; now we're getting somewhere. Very accurate, a bit more grunt, both shoot to the same POA/POI, so I'll use up the Clays and then start with WST on the same bullet.

None of these variations were anywhere close to the "clean" delivered by the N320, so that's out the window. Sigh.