PDA

View Full Version : Estrela Alternative

GRV
04-08-2016, 01:09 PM
I bought an Estrela last September. I starting having issues with it just after New Years. It intermittently turns itself on at the "dimmable" brightness, even if it is locked out. I called Nightreaper and left a message. They never got back. The website doesn't provide a CS email address. I PM'ed Chuck, and he was super helpful. He got in touch with Ken Good on my behalf and exchanged email addresses for us. I emailed Ken directly, waited a month, emailed him again, waited another month, emailed him again, waited another month. Two weeks ago I visited the website again and sent an email to the sales email address listed there, no response. It's been just over 3 months now since initial contact, and I still haven't gotten any semblance of response from them.

I feel terrible, because I'm sure Ken is a great guy, Chuck has had awesome things to say about the light and the people, and Chuck has also repeatedly tried to get in touch with Ken on my behalf, which is really above and beyond on his part since he has no interests vested in this. Above all else I hope the people at Nightreaper are safe and healthy.

However, the time has come when I really need a duty light again, and I can't just wait around forever sitting on a broken product with no CS. Moreover, even if it were to be magically fixed now, I don't know that I can trust a product for serious use when the company backing it is so hard to get in touch with. Honestly, had it not been recommended by respected PF people, I think anyone else in my position would have long ago concluded the company and product were crap and non-starters. Personally, I'm still holding short of drawing that conclusion.

Having said all that, what alternatives are there for awesome uniformed-patrol duty flashlights? Must be rechargeable.

pablo
04-08-2016, 01:44 PM
I really like my Surefire P1R with the regular push on temporary and no low setting. It's not cheap. In a pinch it can run on regular CR123's. I haven't broken it yet, but Surefire CS has always been top notch.

UNK
04-08-2016, 02:58 PM
Surefire for the 100% it will work or they will fix it.

voodoo_man
04-08-2016, 02:58 PM
I use a Streamlight Stinger LED DS HL (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BD9OKC6/) everyday at work and have been since it came out. I believe there is another one (newer/better/more expensive) one out -> Stinger Ultra LED (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TBAE8EO/) <- which I would have probably bought if it was out when I was in the market for a light.

I have to say, hands down the absolute best duty flashlight I've ever owned and used. It's super bright, has constant/strobe (no low, carry a Streamlight Micro (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00143JZ08/) for that - also reviewed it on my site (http://www.vdmsr.com/2013/12/streamlight-microstream-protac-1aa-and.html)), very sturdy and durable and it comes with a wall or in-car charger (which I use all the time when I work nights). I cannot see another option that even comes close.

orionz06
04-08-2016, 04:45 PM
Are you using the strobe at all?

GRV
04-08-2016, 05:22 PM
Are you using the strobe at all?

I have not used it yet. I do not know how much to buy into the sales pitch that it is useful for uniform-patrol type use. That is, I'm not sure if it's really one of those "some day, you'll wish you had it" type things or not.

LittleLebowski
04-08-2016, 06:04 PM
I bought an Estrela last September. I starting having issues with it just after New Years. It intermittently turns itself on at the "dimmable" brightness, even if it is locked out. I called Nightreaper and left a message. They never got back. The website doesn't provide a CS email address. I PM'ed Chuck, and he was super helpful. He got in touch with Ken Good on my behalf and exchanged email addresses for us. I emailed Ken directly, waited a month, emailed him again, waited another month, emailed him again, waited another month. Two weeks ago I visited the website again and sent an email to the sales email address listed there, no response. It's been just over 3 months now since initial contact, and I still haven't gotten any semblance of response from them.

I feel terrible, because I'm sure Ken is a great guy, Chuck has had awesome things to say about the light and the people, and Chuck has also repeatedly tried to get in touch with Ken on my behalf, which is really above and beyond on his part since he has no interests vested in this. Above all else I hope the people at Nightreaper are safe and healthy.

However, the time has come when I really need a duty light again, and I can't just wait around forever sitting on a broken product with no CS. Moreover, even if it were to be magically fixed now, I don't know that I can trust a product for serious use when the company backing it is so hard to get in touch with. Honestly, had it not been recommended by respected PF people, I think anyone else in my position would have long ago concluded the company and product were crap and non-starters. Personally, I'm still holding short of drawing that conclusion.

Having said all that, what alternatives are there for awesome uniformed-patrol duty flashlights? Must be rechargeable.

There's no excuse for that lack of comms in this day and age.

11B10
04-08-2016, 06:39 PM
I use a Streamlight Stinger LED DS HL (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BD9OKC6/) everyday at work and have been since it came out. I believe there is another one (newer/better/more expensive) one out -> Stinger Ultra LED (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TBAE8EO/) <- which I would have probably bought if it was out when I was in the market for a light.

I have to say, hands down the absolute best duty flashlight I've ever owned and used. It's super bright, has constant/strobe (no low, carry a Streamlight Micro (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00143JZ08/) for that - also reviewed it on my site (http://www.vdmsr.com/2013/12/streamlight-microstream-protac-1aa-and.html)), very sturdy and durable and it comes with a wall or in-car charger (which I use all the time when I work nights). I cannot see another option that even comes close.

Also - made in Pa., lifetime warranty, simply great outfit.

1slow
04-08-2016, 07:02 PM

I had a strong interest in 1+ of the Estrelas. That lack of comms and service killed it.
Surefire has always fixed items for me.

It's a shame because Ken Good is one of the best light use guys.

UNK
04-08-2016, 07:15 PM
Are you sure about the Made in PA?

Also - made in Pa., lifetime warranty, simply great outfit.

GRV
04-08-2016, 07:31 PM
I had considered the Stinger, but the form factor is turning me off. I'm not really looking for a maglite. Size/weight and switch location are kinda turning me off.

That said, I am looking for an excuse to buy more Streamlight stuff. I love them. I actually discovered them totally independently and by accident when trying to find the best headlamp...possibly even before I joined PF. A story for another time...

11B10
04-08-2016, 07:40 PM
Are you sure about the Made in PA?

Yup - Eagleville, to be exact.

L-2
04-08-2016, 07:44 PM
I've been mainly using Surefire (an old 6P, which is a 3-cell, among several 2-cell models, all using the CR123 batteries).
I did have a Streamlight rechargeable many years ago but gave it away.
My department will even issue a rechargeable Streamlight, but I declined as I prefer the disposable/recyclable CR123 batteries.
I'll sometimes carry an unmounted weaponlight as a stand-alone flashlight.

voodoo_man
04-09-2016, 12:54 PM
I do use the strobe.

At 600ish lumens from 5ish yards it really sucks and will make people put their hands up to block the light which is something I want.

The light isnt really a maglight profile in the sense that it isnt that heavy or bulky and it works way better.

pablo
04-09-2016, 01:18 PM
Streamlight also has excellent CS. One of the nice things is that many cop shops are also authorized service centers and most things can be fixed on the spot.

voodoo_man
04-09-2016, 01:27 PM
Streamlight also has excellent CS. One of the nice things is that many cop shops are also authorized service centers and most things can be fixed on the spot.

Mine is, though I just send my issue lights directly to them.

Like I said, the stinger that I posted is basically the best light ive ever used fo duty work.

Guess I should do a review...

Chuck Whitlock
04-10-2016, 01:01 AM

I was issued the Stinger LED DS at my old agency. Great light. Only issue I ever had was doing a building search in the winter wearing thick gloves...my small hands and the tailcap switch just didn't integrate well. Now I carry a Strion on my belt, which works great for everything except it's a little small to tuck under my arm. I'd have bought another Stinger, but bought that Ultrastinger LED. Sucker is BRIGHT! I had a battery issue, which CS fixed under warranty and had back to me in less than a couple of weeks. CS also replaced a cracked lens on a PT2L with no fuss.

voodoo_man
04-10-2016, 04:15 AM
I was issued the Stinger LED DS at my old agency. Great light. Only issue I ever had was doing a building search in the winter wearing thick gloves...my small hands and the tailcap switch just didn't integrate well. Now I carry a Strion on my belt, which works great for everything except it's a little small to tuck under my arm. I'd have bought another Stinger, but bought that Ultrastinger LED. Sucker is BRIGHT! I had a battery issue, which CS fixed under warranty and had back to me in less than a couple of weeks. CS also replaced a cracked lens on a PT2L with no fuss.

The near the front button is the one i mainly use for most wok. The back switch is a secondary for me.

GRV
04-10-2016, 09:52 AM
I missed the fact there's a tailswitch. Interesting.

vdm, how are you carrying it on your belt?

voodoo_man
04-10-2016, 11:14 AM

Bianchi loop (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GTYLZK/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000GTYLZK&linkCode=as2&tag=reviews01f3-20&linkId=D6TENADRKZPRC7AH)

GRV
04-13-2016, 11:19 AM
I called Poway, the shop I ordered it from, at Tom's suggestion. They feel it's really a manufacturer's issue, and it's been so long since I ordered it that they wouldn't usually do a swap. However, the rep I've been dealing with is going to try to help me out, considering the circumstances.

If they agree to swap it out, I'll give the Estrela one more chance. In the meantime though, I'm eyeing the relevant Surefire and Streamlight options mentioned here, and I am preparing myself for having to move to one of those.

Chuck Haggard
04-13-2016, 02:10 PM
I called Poway, the shop I ordered it from, at Tom's suggestion. They feel it's really a manufacturer's issue, and it's been so long since I ordered it that they wouldn't usually do a swap. However, the rep I've been dealing with is going to try to help me out, considering the circumstances.

If they agree to swap it out, I'll give the Estrela one more chance. In the meantime though, I'm eyeing the relevant Surefire and Streamlight options mentioned here, and I am preparing myself for having to move to one of those.

If they don't make it right send me the light and you can have mine. You bought it on my recommendation, and I have enough back-up lights to get by until I can get it unfucked.

GRV
04-13-2016, 03:28 PM
If they don't make it right send me the light and you can have mine. You bought it on my recommendation, and I have enough back-up lights to get by until I can get it unfucked.

Wow. Thank you. I would feel really guilty doing that though...Let's start by seeing how Poway goes.

I'd feel doubly guilty if I somehow managed to break it. I don't see how what happened to mine could have been from me...it's just sat in a holster on a belt in a bag when it isn't being used...but nonetheless I'd be paranoid.

secondstoryguy
04-13-2016, 05:28 PM
I love the Estrella's feature set as a duty light but both of mine had issues related to he switch. I contacted Nightreaper and was issued a refund for both.

I have been running a Surefire R1 Lawman for the last 6 months or so and have been very happy with it. I still like the switching of the Estrella but the SF Lawman switching isn't bad once you get use to it. I like the lawman because the tailcap is always high and the button near the head can be set to a lower setting. When the light is on the lower setting and you hit the tailcap switch it comes on full blast which works well for me. The button on near the head will return to the lower setting at first press. When I do traffic stops I use the tailcap high setting and once I make contact and scan the interior of the vehicle I push the button near the head to a default lower setting for looking at paperwork(it's still plenty bright to scan the interior of vehicles). The light is also just long enough to put under your arm for hands free paperwork handling. On high the Lawman is very bright and induces the "holy shit that's bright" cringe on folks I point it at.

The Lawman holds a charge well, has a light to indicate battery level/charging level and it includes a car charger that works great for the patrol car. I typically plug it my cigarette lighter outlet and when I get to the station/ after briefing it's charged up before my first call. It also includes an adaptor for using 123s in a pinch which is really nice if your in a situation where your away from your charger.

Due to my experiences in the last year with off-brand lights I have made Streamlight and Surefire my go-to lights and do not use anything else to go into harms way.

I got my 1000 lumen Lawman off ebay for something like $280 so it wasn't that painful.

taadski
04-13-2016, 09:40 PM

Very classy Chuck.

GRV
04-14-2016, 07:54 AM
I love the Estrella's feature set as a duty light but both of mine had issues related to he switch. I contacted Nightreaper and was issued a refund for both.

Can you summarize the switching issues you had? Full disclosure, I received a PM from someone mentioning a switching issue with one (intermittently wouldn't turn on, the opposite of my problem).

I've been thinking about the way the switch works, and I'm not particularly surprised mine has the issue it has. There is no clicking or traditional mechanical "memory" for the constant on/off. So, it must be keeping track of that electronically, which definitely sounds like a reasonably likely thing to fail. I think someone said the switch is magnetic? I'm going to hold back from tearing mine apart until I have fully explored all avenues for replacement.

Chuck Haggard
04-14-2016, 09:23 AM
The bezel that clicks around to the different modes is the selector for the switching, the on/off part of each mode is magnetic vs a mechanical switching. Same type of switch on the older Gladius was very, very reliable and not prone to wearing out like things such as a Sure-Fire clicky were.

GRV
04-14-2016, 09:39 AM
The bezel that clicks around to the different modes is the selector for the switching, the on/off part of each mode is magnetic vs a mechanical switching. Same type of switch on the older Gladius was very, very reliable and not prone to wearing out like things such as a Sure-Fire clicky were.

I think that the selector and momentary switches are probably bombproof. Very good design. Definitely longer lasting than a Surefire clicky, I can see that.

What I'm wondering about is the constant on/off mechanism. Do you know how the switch or light keeps track of whether the light is currently on or off? On a clicky switch, it's very clear: it is basically mechanically held down. On this switch it's less clear, because the physical interface of the switch does not change in any way.

Chuck Haggard
04-14-2016, 10:31 AM
I think that the selector and momentary switches are probably bombproof. Very good design. Definitely longer lasting than a Surefire clicky, I can see that.

What I'm wondering about is the constant on/off mechanism. Do you know how the switch or light keeps track of whether the light is currently on or off? On a clicky switch, it's very clear: it is basically mechanically held down. On this switch it's less clear, because the physical interface of the switch does not change in any way.

Internal programing

OK, this might sound dumb, but it your sitch end screwed down tight? Have you changed the batteries/taken the battery out to charge just before this happened?

GRV
04-14-2016, 11:22 AM
Internal programing

Yea, so that's the thing I'm worried about: that the internal programming isn't bombproof, or that the chips they're using might have a failure rate, QC issues on the chip fab side, or issues with programming them. I now know of 4 Estrelas that had switching issues not associated with prolonged use or wear. Certainly not a ton of data, but it's definitely suspicious.

OK, this might sound dumb, but it your sitch end screwed down tight? Have you changed the batteries/taken the battery out to charge just before this happened?

Yes. That was the first thing I checked. When I first experienced the issue, I thought it was slightly unscrewed, so I tightened it down good. I have repeatedly experienced the issue since then with the screw down tight and the switch on lockout. At one point, I did an experiment to see if it was being NDed by holsters. By applying pressure in various places (not on the button) and tightly strapping down the stock pouch I did manage to occasionally get it to ND while on lockout, which frankly shouldn't happen. Lately, I have had to store it almost completely unscrewed, just so that it isn't turning on randomly.

It is worth noting that when it NDs it is always into a dimmer setting. Not 1000 lumens. Regardless of what the switch is set to. So, I suspect it is NDing into the constant on/off mode, which would be consistent with faulty memory or programming of that mechanism.

The issue is very intermittent and I cannot reproduce it consistently when I want to.

secondstoryguy
04-16-2016, 05:59 AM
The issue with both of my Nightreaper lights is that the button would not work at times. I really wanted a new one but they apparently don't make them anymore. It would be neat if they could license the design to SF and let them run with it. I miss the switching of the Nightreaper and the tactile feel of the button.

I suspect the issue is with poor QC and materials. The Nightreaper was definitely a Chinese light when compared to the fit/finish of SF.

Chuck Whitlock
04-16-2016, 09:48 AM

I use Safariland:

http://www.safariland.com/flashlight/model-306-open-top-mini-flashlight-holder-11009.html#start=1

GRV
04-16-2016, 02:01 PM
I really wanted a new one but they apparently don't make them anymore.

The Estrela? Can you elaborate on that?

secondstoryguy
04-17-2016, 11:07 AM
Maybe I mispoke and am in error but I was informed that they don't have any more and Mr.Good made no mention of having any more in stock. Nightreaper has also been out of stock for more than six months to a year. They have a link to one retailer who sells the light in Poway,CA and are selling them at a discounted price and don't know if they are in stock.

When I sent my lights in for repair they reportedly sent the lights back to Estrella for repair/warranty work but that apparently didn't pan out. Based on all of this I'm assuming they have none left and no parts available. Mr.Good also made no mention of another run of lights in any of our correspondence.

It's a damn shame to because the Nightreaper is just about the perfect patrol light as far as features go. The Gladius was a solid light and I had one for years, it's a shame they can't duplicate it on the Nightreapers scale.

GRV
04-24-2016, 03:03 PM
Poway has been really good. They tried to get in touch with Nightreaper a few times and failed. But, they're going to swap it out for me, despite the fact that it's been quite awhile since the actual purchase, and they'll try to eventually sort out the warranty issue themselves.

We'll see how round two goes.

GRV
05-27-2016, 10:14 AM
After a bit more shipping drama....I have my replacement! After carefully verifying to make sure the serial number was new, I function checked it, and it appears to work. We'll see how it goes from here.

The taco pouch seems like it smothers light NDs pretty well, but I'm sure I'll notice if I'm having the issue if I pull my light out and find it dead :rolleyes:

Poway is good people. I would buy from them again.