PDA

View Full Version : Walther PPQ M2

kcevans
04-07-2016, 09:55 PM
I would like to gather members reviews of the Walther PPQ M2. I have a HK P2000 V3 that I have spend several months working with and have been unable to get use to the heavy DA trigger. I have several other DA semi auto's that I shoot and use along with a P2000 LEM so the PPQ won't be my primary CCW or range pistol. I have read several articles concerning the PPQ and have been intrigued and was hopeful for some feed back on the Walther pistols.
Thanks in advance for any and all information.

Sero Sed Serio
04-07-2016, 10:45 PM
Solid gun, and a great trigger. A little flippy in recoil. Comes in between a G17 and a G19 size-wise, but carries a bit smaller than it is because of the contour. Accurate and easy to shoot. Sights are limited, but not as bad as the P2000. I wouldn't hesitate to carry one (except maybe AIWB). If they make a Gadget for it, I could see it going in the carry rotation.

olstyn
04-07-2016, 11:32 PM
If they make a Gadget for it, I could see it going in the carry rotation.

Given that the PPQ's striker is fully cocked, a Gadget seems like it would be much more complicated to engineer than the Glock version, if it's even possible. I suppose you could create something to press that would somehow lock the trigger bar, sear, or both in place, but I bet it would be a much less elegant solution than the Glock version.

HopetonBrown
04-07-2016, 11:47 PM
I have one, don't shoot it much. First, I'd often drop the magazine because the button is so giganto-huge and my palm would hit it. I replaced the spring with one a stiffer Wolff one and I haven't had it happen again.

The slide stop is pretty large, and I sometimes ride it, stopping the slide from locking back.

It sits kinda tall in my hand compared to Glocks. I'd probably just sell it, but have Dawson Chargers on and a nice JM Custom Kydex rig for it so I'm hesitant. Plus it seems like it'd make a sweet CCP gun, but I'm already mediocre in 3 other divisions.

ReverendMeat
04-08-2016, 01:18 AM
I've owned a PPQ M1 for a few years.

I did the 2000 round challenge with it, encountered 2 failures to return to battery with the first thousand rounds. I put it aside, forgot to clean it, kept shooting. The next couple thousand rounds were 100%. Still haven't cleaned or lubed it, I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually. Did better than my G19 and even as filthy and gross as it is right now I'd still bet my life on it if need be. The plastic guide rod is kind of crooked now though, attached a picture.

It conceals alright, being similar in size to a Glock 19. The slide is taller and grip is a touch longer, but it has fewer distinct edges, which helps.

The trigger has a lot of take-up/slack and a very light, crisp break. Overall trigger travel is akin to a TDA and I run it the same. If you run it like a Glock you might be sending off rounds before you intend to. I've had my fastest splits and reloads with it.

Very accurate, even with the stock sights. I did somehow manage to knock the rear sight out while open carrying OWB, watch out for that.

As far as the M2 specifically.. I don't like the mag release. Too easy to hit with my support hand by squeezing the grip with a moderate amount of pressure.

SteveB
04-08-2016, 05:53 AM
I would like to gather members reviews of the Walther PPQ M2. I have a HK P2000 V3 that I have spend several months working with and have been unable to get use to the heavy DA trigger. I have several other DA semi auto's that I shoot and use along with a P2000 LEM so the PPQ won't be my primary CCW or range pistol. I have read several articles concerning the PPQ and have been intrigued and was hopeful for some feed back on the Walther pistols.

I realize this doesn't answer your question, but you might try replacing the stock hammer spring in your P2000 with a Wolff 10 lb spring. If you want to go whole hog, replace the sear spring with the nickel-plated spring from HK Parts. I have two P2000 V3's with these springs which greatly improved the DA triggers and have been reliable over many 1000's of rounds.

Chef
04-08-2016, 06:19 AM
I too had two accidental magazine releases with the M2 when the mag dropped out. I can remember two other times that the mag released while in holster but I caught it and reseated. I developed this nasty habit of always checking to make sure the mag was seated while CCW. Not a good habit. It's gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olstyn
04-08-2016, 07:25 AM
Yeah, I've read posts from quite a few people complaining about the accidental mag drop thing. Apparently the extra power spring is a viable fix, but if you can get used to paddles, a PPQ M1 is a better fix.

BJXDS
04-08-2016, 07:46 AM

If NOT a primary CCW or range pistol than, just a range toy?? If you get one and shoot it, it may very well become your CCW...... Unless you want to stick to P2000 size?

Overall Walther makes quality guns. I really LIKE the PPQ. Best OTB SF trigger on the market. Gun is more accurate than me, but I think most are. Holster selection is really not an issue anymore.

There are not as many sight options or other other aftermarket parts as compared to a Glock, but you can probably find something that works for you. I run 10-8's on mine because I believe they will hold up to anything. The reason I selected them over the Triji's is because the Triji rear utilizes the OEM style rear sight setup, and I did not feel it would be as secure as the rear fitted in the dovetail and screwed down. but I will say I have a range gun with stock sights, I painted the FS Orange. I don't misuse the gun but treat it as a tool, and have not had an issue with it. NO doubt most OEM plastic sights, are not as durable as aftermarket.

Mag release is large and easy to depress, easier than most others to depress, but I have Never had an issue with it, but I have seen 1 person dump one in training.

Slide stop is large and I have a a tendency to ride it, SOMETIMES. I have altered my grip somewhat and it really does not cause any issues with my shooting in terms of accuracy/performance its just that it is more natural for me both thumbs forward. Realistically I don't think this is a huge issue. Unless shooting a FAST or training where slide lock reload is timed.... How often would I really run 15 rounds to slide lock AND need to reload and have it make a difference. Lets Hope I NEVER Need to Find Out!

Reliability has been excellent with all types of ammo. 1 FTRB and 1 FTF, 5K+ rounds fired.

Concealability and carry comfort is not a concern, if a G19 would work than you most likely could do the PPQ.

I am not preaching, but any gun you consider to carry should be STRESS tested in training to make sure it will function and you will perform with it, they way you think you will. Really you are STRESS testing yourself and the way you work or don't with the gun. Much different than a day at the range for fun. The PPQ works for me, BUT it may not for you.

As a side note I keep trying to go back to a G19 BUT just can't, YET.

SecondsCount
04-08-2016, 08:41 AM
Why not a VP9? You can use the VP9 mags in your P2000.

JBP55
04-08-2016, 09:21 AM

Having owned a PPQ M2 and currently own VP9 pistols I concur.

kcevans
04-08-2016, 10:59 AM
I hadn't though of the VP9, I will check it out. I have a New PPQ offer on the hook with the right trade out for the P2000 is the reason I was asking question about them. I have already swapped out the P2000's hammer and sear springs in an attempt to improve the trigger pull. I guess got spoiled with my PX4 compact which has an incredible trigger but my wife has since claim it as hers. I wasn't really looking at the PPQ when I went to my local LGS but after holding it and dry firing it I was somewhat impressed with it.

P30
04-08-2016, 11:45 AM
Did you test it? My P30 magazine did not fit into my friend's P2000. P30 mags = VP9 mags. So I think, it does not work.

SecondsCount
04-08-2016, 12:05 PM
Did you test it? My P30 magazine did not fit into my friend's P2000. P30 mags = VP9 mags. So I think, it does not work.

I have a P30, VP9, and a P2000. The mags from the P30 and VP9 fit my P2000. The only difference is the P30/VP9 mags extend out the bottom of the magwell which is expected because they are longer but I actually like that and consider it a feature. The little bit of an extension keeps my palm from getting pinched during a reload.

Hot Sauce
04-08-2016, 02:24 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to carry one (except maybe AIWB). If they make a Gadget for it, I could see it going in the carry rotation.

Exactly my sentiment. Make me a Gadget and it solves the only real problem I have with this gun.

JBP55
04-08-2016, 03:09 PM

My new VP9 magazines work in my new P2000 SK.

HCM
04-08-2016, 07:10 PM

By did not fit do you mean: 1) could not be inserted into the magwell ? 2) Would not lock in? or 3) it stuck out the bottom ?

#3 is normal.

The HK USP Compact mags were also used in the P2000. The P2000sk mag is the same mag body shortened and the P30/VP9 mag is the same mag body lengthened for a full sized grip. Like G17 mags in 9mm Glocks, the P30/VP9 mags should work in all HK P series 9mm's as well as the USP Compact.

kcevans
04-10-2016, 08:07 AM
I now have a PPQ, now time for some sights, any suggestions on sight set ups ? Ameriglo doesn't offer any that I can find.

JackRock
04-10-2016, 10:33 AM
Solid gun, and a great trigger. A little flippy in recoil. Comes in between a G17 and a G19 size-wise, but carries a bit smaller than it is because of the contour. Accurate and easy to shoot. Sights are limited, but not as bad as the P2000. I wouldn't hesitate to carry one (except maybe AIWB). If they make a Gadget for it, I could see it going in the carry rotation.

Pretty much my sentiments exactly. Except for the Gadget. My PPQ is my EDC and has been since I first became a gun owner (it was my first). It conceals just fine as long as I dress around the gun - not a problem since that was my style of dress before then, anyway.

I probably have about 2500 rounds through it by now, with a single FTF, and we found out that was a problem with the ammo. Primer was struck sufficiently hard (as evidenced by the depth of the strike dent). Just didn't fire the round. Same box, same day, same mag - no other problems. And that was more than a year ago.

I now have a PPQ, now time for some sights, any suggestions on sight set ups ? Ameriglo doesn't offer any that I can find.

Good choice! If, like me, you're interested in keeping the adjustability of the rear sight, I'd suggest the Meprolight Tru-Dot set:
http://www.meprolight.com/default.asp?catid={9E0E114D-D3CE-4DA7-9D49-69AA4FC0C485}&details_type=1&itemid={9A13C89E-37D8-40E3-A025-E4E83E0E0CB9} (https://dawsonprecision.com/dawson-precision-walther-ppq-p99-fixed-charger-sight-set-fiber-optic-rear-fiber-optic-front/)

If you have the ability to adjust the pressure-fit style (meaning you can't just turn a screw for windage), Dawson has an outstanding product that gets rave reviews and is significantly less expensive:
https://dawsonprecision.com/dawson-precision-walther-ppq-p99-fixed-charger-sight-set-fiber-optic-rear-fiber-optic-front/

gtmtnbiker98
04-10-2016, 11:14 AM
Ironically, I just picked up a PPQ 45 yesterday. I like Walther's as much as I like HK. The 'Q' is a solid choice.

HopetonBrown
04-10-2016, 11:17 AM
Choices are 10-8, Dawson and Trijicon HD.

P30
04-16-2016, 02:55 AM
By did not fit do you mean: 1) could not be inserted into the magwell ? 2) Would not lock in? or 3) it stuck out the bottom ?
I mean #2.

His P2000 is probably more than 10 years old. It has the HK-proprietary weapons light mount (the front of the frame looks like this (http://www.hkpro.com/p2000polizei.jpg)). We did not apply much force, when we tried it, i.e. we pushed the P30 magazine only gently into the P2000 magwell.

Strange. I will check it again.

mrozowjj
04-16-2016, 12:10 PM

That's pretty much my summary. I shoot it in IDPA and USPSA. No it's not super competitive but neither am I so it's ok with me. I have a very nice AIWB holster for it but I never carry it, not for safety reasons just because I don't want to carry a larger gun so I end up carrying my Shield. I have just recently got the PPS M2 which I like a lot and will replace my Shield when I get a good holster for it. The good news is the PPS has the cocking indicator thing that you can use like a gadget to prevent a discharge which puts it above the Shield in my book.

HCM
04-16-2016, 03:11 PM
I mean #2.

His P2000 is probably more than 10 years old. It has the HK-proprietary weapons light mount (the front of the frame looks like this (http://www.hkpro.com/p2000polizei.jpg)). We did not apply much force, when we tried it, i.e. we pushed the P30 magazine only gently into the P2000 magwell.

Strange. I will check it again.

Ahh... that explains it - that is the European version of the P2000, commonly known as the German Police Model. They are rare collectors items in the States. Euro P2000 magazines are different from USPc/US P2000 magazines and Euro P2000 only accepts proprietary magazines. There is a 16 round extended mag specifically made for the Euro/GPM version of the P2000.

There is a thread on HKPRO discussing the differences in detail http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgun-talk/110894-european-p2000.html

cardguy
08-13-2016, 08:28 AM
My PPQ M2 9mm is a range gun for now, I moved the mag release to the other side because of accidental magazine releases. It's very accurate with a great trigger.

OnionsAndDragons
08-13-2016, 12:10 PM
Choices are 10-8, Dawson and Trijicon HD.

Pretty much this.

If there is an Ameriglo front you love, it is possible to adapt a Glock front for use on a PPQ. It requires a tiny bit of hap filling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bart Carter
08-13-2016, 09:06 PM
My PPQ M2 9mm is a range gun for now, I moved the mag release to the other side because of accidental magazine releases. It's very accurate with a great trigger.

Walther now has a stronger spring for the M2. My Q5 Match came with it. If you call customer service and ask, I believe that they will pop it in the mail for you.

Hot Sauce
08-13-2016, 10:29 PM
Walther now has a stronger spring for the M2. My Q5 Match came with it. If you call customer service and ask, I believe that they will pop it in the mail for you.

Really? I talked to them a few months ago and they were not even aware of the issue. Said he's never heard of different power spring being made, either.

Which surprised the hell out of me, but in fact the guy sounded like he didn't know what he was talking about. Told me I needed a different holster...:confused: which had zero to do with anything.

LostDuke
08-14-2016, 06:05 AM

I can confirm this is accurate, CS sent me a spring that fixed the issue. Just call and the problem is solved. The Walther forum has tons of posts to confirm this.

As for the PPQ, I have the longer version, which I do not obviously carry but find easy to compete with in IDPA. Extremely reliable, accurate and quick. I much prefer it to the Glock 34 for competition purposes. If you prefer the paddle release you can ride the longer slide -which is only available with the M2- on the M1 frame without any issue.

I also have a VP9 as well and unlike others much prefer to shoot the PPQ. Never had an issue with the slide stop, which is tighter the VP9's and much tighter than the not so good one on the P30.

For the money, I think Walthers in general compete very well against a lot of brands, H&K included.

DavidS
08-24-2016, 08:30 AM
If you like the paddle mag release on the HK, then why not consider a PPQ M1 (in 9mm or .40)? You can still find these for sale new.

Also, regarding sights, in addition to Dawson, Trijicon, and 10-8, you could also look at Meprolight and Tru-Glo TFX or TFX Pro.

Right now I have Dawson's on my PPQ M1 9mm and Tru-Glo TFX Pros on my PPQ .45 (M2).

If you are looking for something smaller, there is also the P99c (paddle release) in 9mm or .40, which also has a decocker.

Good luck,
Dave

olstyn
08-24-2016, 09:17 AM
As for the PPQ, I have the longer version, which I do not obviously carry but find easy to compete with in IDPA. Extremely reliable, accurate and quick. I much prefer it to the Glock 34 for competition purposes. If you prefer the paddle release you can ride the longer slide -which is only available with the M2- on the M1 frame without any issue.

I'm not sure about IDPA, but be careful trying this for USPSA Production - while you're unlikely to get caught, as most ROs are clueless with regard to Walthers, if you're unlucky enough, you could theoretically get bumped to Open for replacing the slide with one which is not original length for the M1 frame. (Rule 21.3 in Appendix D which defines Production Division) It's kind of silly, since in your view, you're just changing the mag release to one you prefer with no real competitive advantage, but in theory, you could get caught out by it. Basically, if you're going to do this, it might be wiser to buy some 140mm basepads (http://shop.springerprecision.com/product.sc?productId=380&categoryId=50) and run Limited minor while you're at it.

LostDuke
08-24-2016, 01:32 PM
I'm not sure about IDPA, but be careful trying this for USPSA Production - while you're unlikely to get caught, as most ROs are clueless with regard to Walthers, if you're unlucky enough, you could theoretically get bumped to Open for replacing the slide with one which is not original length for the M1 frame. (Rule 21.3 in Appendix D which defines Production Division) It's kind of silly, since in your view, you're just changing the mag release to one you prefer with no real competitive advantage, but in theory, you could get caught out by it. Basically, if you're going to do this, it might be wiser to buy some 140mm basepads (http://shop.springerprecision.com/product.sc?productId=380&categoryId=50) and run Limited minor while you're at it.

I don't do it, should have separated the last statement better. I tried it once at the range with the M1 of a buddy, but I only own the one so I run legit SSP and Production with it. Good advice though for those who are interested.