PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Reloading

Mitch
04-07-2016, 09:42 PM
Does anyone here load shotgun ammo? Is there a substantial cost savings between reloads and buying 12 gauge ammo?

I know almost nothing about reloading shotgun ammo, so if anyone here does it I'm all ears. Is it worth the time? Is it a big hassle?

BehindBlueI's
04-07-2016, 09:48 PM
I don't currently because I don't shoot enough shotgun to matter. When I was a youngster, my grandfather had a set up in the root cellar to reload shotgun shells. It was dead simple to operate. The biggest hassle was after a few reloadings the plastic shotgun shells didn't crimp down real good any longer and shot could leak out if you carried them upside down. It's been a loooong time, but I'd guess we got 4-5 out of each shell.

I can't speak to the price these days.

pangloss
04-07-2016, 10:11 PM
I have a MEC Press for 12 gauge, but I haven't used it in years/decades (high school). When I did use it, I just reloaded #8. You need different charge bars for different size shot (i.e., a 1 & 1/8 bar for #8 shot will not throw 1 & 1/8 ounces of #2). You also need different powder bushings for different powders. I got the press and components as birthday and Christmas gifts, and I doubt I reloaded enough to save back the cost of the equipment. I also had bad crimps and the shells would leak shot. Importantly, not all hulls are the same. I was set up for Winchester AA and some particular Remington hulls. However, my assembly of hardware, powder, wads didn't work with other Winchester or Remington hulls. If you're going to pick your hull type, buy a thousand rounds to shoot and then reload those hulls until they are worn out, then repeat that process, it might eventually be worth it. The low end steel-cased hulls are pretty cheap though.

SecondsCount
04-07-2016, 10:26 PM
I have quite a bit of equipment to do it including a nice Ponsness Warren progressive. The reason that I got into it was for my boys when they were younger and shooting 410. Reloading for that was a huge savings as 410 shells were double the cost of 12 gauge but the components were half the price.

For 12 gauge I just buy the Federal 100 packs at Walmart and have fun. I'm not a serious enough shotgun shooter to justify buying bulk quantities of shot.

Rich@CCC
04-08-2016, 09:00 AM
Depends on what your are wanting to load. I reload my trap rounds but buy my slugs and buck shot loads.

For trap, I can load a high quality shell tuned for my BT99 for about the price of the cheap target loads at wally world. I buy a flat of Remington STS, shoot them and get 8-10 reloads from the hulls.

Peally
04-08-2016, 09:07 AM
It strikes me as a quality over savings thing. If win white box 45 was as cheap as 12ga ammo I wouldn't have bothered buying my 650.

SecondsCount
04-08-2016, 05:15 PM
Depends on what your are wanting to load. I reload my trap rounds but buy my slugs and buck shot loads.

For trap, I can load a high quality shell tuned for my BT99 for about the price of the cheap target loads at wally world. I buy a flat of Remington STS, shoot them and get 8-10 reloads from the hulls.

Out of curiosity, what are you paying for shot these days?

Rich@CCC
04-08-2016, 08:30 PM
Around $40.00/25# give or take. I am working(slowly) on making a shot maker as I get bullet alloy for about $0.50/lb.

The shot maker isn't as simple as I had hoped. I may wind up buying one but I haven't given up on my DIY dripper yet.

BJXDS
04-08-2016, 08:46 PM
Out of curiosity, what are you paying for shot these days?

Around my parts in VA it's about 40-60 for 25lbs #7,,8,9. Its not really worth it for me to reload. I can reload equivalent AA's or STS for cheaper, but can buy lower cost although lower quality loads. I can't honestly say my AA reloads get me more birds than the cheap stuff, so why bother.

I shot trap last night and it seems most of the shooters have stopped reloading. Some that still shoot registered shoot reload, but most don't anymore.