PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio - Cedar Ridge - short range match

Glenn E. Meyer
04-07-2016, 02:46 PM
For the SA/Austin area - Eric L. is going to put on a short range match:

EVENT: Short Range Match

DATE: Sunday April 10, 2016

LOCATION: Cedar Ridge Range, 7110 Farm to Market 1863, Bulverde, TX ; (830) 980-4424 ‎ · www.cedarridgerange.com

EQUIPMENT: You need your pistol, 3 magazines (minimum), a holster, and magazine carrier. Revolver shooters need the equivalent for their pistols.

For More Information or Questions: ericlamberson@sensibleselfdefense.com

Ammunition: 100 rounds Maximum; another 100 rds for side match if we do one (and then only if you wish to participate)

Short-Range Course of Fire Match

The Short Range Match uses IDPA-style scoring and follows IDPA safety principles; however, generally no target will be greater that 10 yards away from the shooter. Most stages are based upon a real-life event that was recorded on video and adapted for a square range. Otherwise, it is a regular course of fire, with many stages requiring a reload. When I send out the match results I include a link to the video of the events from that match. The idea is for the shooter to solve the problem and then view the video of the actual event to understand how it happened in real-life.

A short-range course of fire match seeks to replicate real life scenarios where you are more likely to use carry-suitable handguns. The match's guiding principle is to improve concealed carry skills. Ideally, shooters will use a pistol they carry to shoot the match--if you can legitimately say you carry a specific pistol; you may use it in the Short-Range Match. All pistols may be loaded to magazine capacity; however, the match will have some reloads on the clock and we will work in some malfunction drills.

Shooters may use any belt holster and magazine carrier/speed loader carrier suitable for carrying the pistol concealed. Shooters may reload from the pocket; however, no drawing from the pocket, a fanny pack, shoulder holster, etc. If in doubt, please ask.

If you do not have a belt holster for your carry pistol (?), please bring it in a case. Shooters w/o holsters will begin from the low ready and will have 2.00 seconds added to their time for each string begun from the low ready.

Sign up is between 0900 - 0945hrs. Please make every effort to be on time for signup and don't wait until the last minute. SO's always welcome!

Set Up: Set up assistance sincerely appreciated. Please arrive at 7:50 a.m.

For More Information or Questions: ericlamberson@sensibleselfdefense.com ; 210-667-8594

Should be fun and I think I'm going to do it with a G42 unless disaster strikes.

Glenn

JM Campbell
04-07-2016, 03:27 PM
AIWB banned???

I'm there, reguardless

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

RJ
04-07-2016, 03:58 PM
Interested(*). I would be using my carry PPS M2 w a JMCK IWB. Would work, right? I also only have one reload mag. I've never shot IDPA, so if ya'll would not mind showing a FL noob how it works, be obliged.

* So we are waiting on parts for the RV here in Austin. If they don't arrive Friday, we'll be staying over the weekend. Unsure of location but we're flexible. I've asked The Boss for consideration of a location near Bulverde. :cool:

JM Campbell
04-07-2016, 04:07 PM
Interested(*). I would be using my carry PPS M2 w a JMCK IWB. Would work, right? I also only have one reload mag. I've never shot IDPA, so if ya'll would not mind showing a FL noob how it works, be obliged.

* So we are waiting on parts for the RV here in Austin. If they don't arrive Friday, we'll be staying over the weekend. Unsure of location but we're flexible. I've asked The Boss for consideration of a location near Bulverde. :cool:
I can let you run my shield if you need it.
And you'll be right down the road from me.

RJ
04-08-2016, 07:17 PM
Much regret unable to attend.

Our parts came in this morning, so I had the work completed today.

We'd been held over in Austin for five days; after discussing options we decided to continue on our trip.

We are definitely making plans for a return visit to TX in Mar / Apr '17 after TacCon '17 in Little Rock.

gringop
04-08-2016, 11:35 PM
I may have to bring out the new G26 to test it in the competition crucible. We can have side bets on how many blood blisters I can give myself on reloads.

Gringop

Glenn E. Meyer
04-09-2016, 10:38 AM
Been there on that one.

Glenn E. Meyer
04-10-2016, 06:49 PM
This was a fun match with some denizens of p-f attending. I might discuss the stages a little more after we get some video links from the match director.

The emphasis was close up and difficult target configurations. My frustration was with me. I decided to shoot my new G42. It's the third out for the gun. After going back to Glock, it now runs well. No problems with it. However, sigh, on the first two stages, I stunk. I couldn't hit a whale. The smaller grip, etc. led me to default to the classic left hander down to the right very badly. The last three stages, I managed to get back into decent but not great shooting. I was truly annoyed with moi.

Given multiple attackers (if paper attacks), my G42 is not a drop free gun. You have to extract the empty mag most of the time. Thus, carrying a bigger higher capacity gun is a plus for the more complex stage or problem. But this is pocket gun. I've conquered the right and down booboo with my full sized guns. But this little guy just brought it up. I had shot it in an IDPA match before and it wasn't that bad. More practice is needed. I think I shot a J a touch better. Might try that.

Since the stages were based on real problems with multiple attackers - more later - the guy who says you only need two shots on the average - BAH! Reloading the little guys is slow, esp. if you pocket carried the gun and extra mags.

It is a very soft gun to shoot. Now like an LCP which I found really was sharp in my palm. WWB, Herters and Blazer Brass - no problem or discomfort.

gringop
04-12-2016, 03:04 AM
Because of work and other scheduling issues, lately, I have only made about one IDPA type match a year. This match may change that. The shoot targets on most of the stages had shirts on them and had masks on the heads. Non-threats were abundant and strategically placed to make you really work to make good hits. (definitely not IDPA legal and that's good in this case) Every stage had 2 or 3 strings, you got to shoot a decent amount even with lower round count scenarios. We had a shooter on my squad that shot AIWB with no problems.

Is all that teddyism or gamerific?

My new G26 ran great but the 10 round mags sit low in my mag pouches like flat sand dollars on the beach, my reloads were not "Mr. Chain-Blue Lightning himself" but more like "harmless as a heel hound."

I'll be back, I may try to shoot my 640 or even my LCP as a second gun. Eric L put on a nice match that is relevant to my shooting interests.

It was great to see and speak with Glen again and I shot the match with my brother and a gentleman named Ted who was fast as hell with a 1911. It turns out he was Ted Bonnet, the IPSC World Champion in 1996.

So I get to to see Glen, swap Josey Wales quotes with my brother and shoot a match with them and a IPSC world champion? Truly, this is the best of all possible worlds.

Gringop (shutup, Lige)

JM Campbell
04-12-2016, 08:19 AM
Sorry I missed ya...I was shooting aiwb...next time we'll introduce ourselves.

ETA, I shot the match on Glenns squad.
There was another older gentleman that was shooting a Suarez rmr G17 aiwb in our squad as well.

Glenn E. Meyer
04-12-2016, 08:56 AM
Not my best day. Lots of reloads and screwing up at first with the G42. However, it was a good match and a learning experience. Takeaway points.

1. Scenarios can be more complex.
2. Small capacity guns and lots of targets
3. Need to practice with new small guns. Can't assume you will be on target with it.
4. G42 - after its trip to Glock - ran perfectly and recoil is trivial.
5. Used a DeSantis belt holster for the G42 - it's very small. It's the only left handed holster I found when I last looked. For a mag pouch, I found that a Galco leather 1911 one would take the G42 mags with some screwing around with the screws. However, carrying it on the belt seems silly. If it's a belt gun - then the G19 or 26 is the gun for me. The 42 is clearly a pocket gun.

Nice seeing Gringop again and Skyline1. AIWB - didn't scare anyone.

Glenn E. Meyer
06-12-2016, 06:23 PM
Shot the match again today (this sad day) but with my G19 which is a carry gun. So I didn't suck. I hit most targets quite well. The scenarios were taken from real life and some were quite interesting. A multiple attack Mumbai run does make the pocket gun less attractive as a primary and more of a BUG. However, sometimes reality dress issues intervene.

It was HOT. I'm getting older - I had to sit out a few rounds of taping in the shade. Started to feel a touch of a tremble and went and drank and cooled off.

Fun match and no IDPA silliness. However, you should shoot it in a realistic fashion if you want to benefit.

On TFL, a poster whom you might know here claims never to see a semi jam. Well, in my squad - I saw a CZ fuzzle out once. A new SIG was repeatedly problematic. My Glock did one stove pipe and another Glock spazed twice. I guess semis do jam. Lots of folks were hitting three targets twice each in 3 to 4 seconds from the draw.

The incident use for scenario set up is relevant as compared to the artificiality of some matches. Of course, all such matches are a touch of such.

Tonight, I have some Shiner Prickly Pear beer that is out for the summer. It will aid me in dealing with today's horror. I haven't moved so close to tears since Aurora. Then I saw an officer leading a little fat kid in a Batman suit away from the theater. For some reason, it broke my heart. Damn.

HCM
06-12-2016, 07:11 PM
Glenn,

I've rotated back to weekends off for a bit. Hope to make a couple matches.

I picked up an aftermarket (Suarez) RDS G19 slide - I'll bring it if you care to try it.

Glenn E. Meyer
06-13-2016, 09:52 AM
Sounds good!

JM Campbell
06-13-2016, 09:57 AM
Keep me in the loop.

Glenn E. Meyer
06-13-2016, 10:00 AM
I'm going to try to make my usual routine, the later two Webb matches and Eric's in the beginning of the month.

BN
06-13-2016, 11:27 AM
This was a fun match with some denizens of p-f attending. I might discuss the stages a little more after we get some video links from the match director.

Glenn, do you have a link to the YouTube videos and some stage descriptions. This sounds like a very interesting match.

Glenn E. Meyer
06-13-2016, 07:19 PM
Here's Eric's site: http://www.sensibleselfdefense.com/category-s/1836.htm

and a scenario link: http://www.sensibleselfdefense.com/Articles.asp?ID=267

Eric used to post the videos on youtube as a channel but started to attract nut comments. Thus, the current videos are constrained to match participants.

Glenn E. Meyer
06-14-2016, 10:28 AM
So the results came in. Good news - points down out of 30 shooters, I'm 5th. Time - I am an old fat sloth who rambles around. Towards the bottom. I might say that I'm deliberate - yeah that works. I've always been slow in IDPA. Accuracy - always good.

gringop
10-08-2016, 09:18 PM
I'm gonna try to make Eric's match on Sunday, 10-9-16. Any other Centex PFers? Should we try to squad together?

Gringop

Ps, I'm a tall bearded guy that will be wearing a BCM hat, I'm sure that will really narrow it down in a Texas pistol match.