PDA

View Full Version : 124gr Geco 9mm fmj ammo?

Drew78
04-06-2016, 04:49 PM
At my local mom and pop gun store today just looking for reasons to spend money and i came across this ammo. 50 round boxes for 9.99 each. In my part, that's a great price for 9mm let alone 124gr.

I know nothing about this stuff? Is it decent range ammo? Brass cased.

Thanks!
Drew

HopetonBrown
04-06-2016, 04:51 PM
SG Ammo has 124gr made in Switzerland, says it's magnetic.

xcop
04-06-2016, 04:56 PM
I purchased a case of that many months ago. It has worked perfectly in everything from Kahr MK9's, Sigs and Glocks. Need to buy more

SG Ammo has 124gr made in Switzerland, says it's magnetic.

Drew78
04-06-2016, 04:56 PM
Thank you for the reply. Forgive my ignorance, but what does "SG" stand for? So the fact that is magnetic would indicate a steel core behind that false facade of copper plating?

HopetonBrown
04-06-2016, 05:01 PM
SG Ammo is an online supplier and they have 124gr Geco. They say it's magnetic, which means it doesn't play nice with steel targets and some backstops, and may be prohibited at some ranges.

Drew78
04-06-2016, 05:06 PM
SG Ammo is an online supplier and they have 124gr Geco. They say it's magnetic, which means it doesn't play nice with steel targets and some backstops, and may be prohibited at some ranges.

Thank you. I Google-d it and most online places say bi metal as you indicated and a mild steel core. No go for me, my indoor place has a strict policy against steel core.

HCM
04-06-2016, 06:09 PM
Geco ammo is made in a few different countries / factories so you really need to check the details.

VolGrad
04-06-2016, 07:15 PM
At my local mom and pop gun store today just looking for reasons to spend money and i came across this ammo. 50 round boxes for 9.99 each. In my part, that's a great price for 9mm let alone 124gr.

I know nothing about this stuff? Is it decent range ammo? Brass cased.

Thanks!
Drew

I bought a couple of cases a few years ago and it ran great in everything I shot it through and IIRC it wasn't too dirty either.

Tamara
04-06-2016, 07:27 PM
Thank you. I Google-d it and most online places say bi metal as you indicated and a mild steel core. No go for me, my indoor place has a strict policy against steel core.

Handgun ammo out for commercial sale in the US won't have a steel core, mild or otherwise.

TGS
04-06-2016, 07:39 PM

Bimetal means it's a mild-steel jacket.

Different than a steel core, but it may still be against your range rules as it can cause sparks.

Jeep
04-06-2016, 07:40 PM
Handgun ammo out for commercial sale in the US won't have a steel core, mild or otherwise.

I think the Geco 124 has some steel in the jacket rather than the core. The 115 grain Geco is from Hungary is non-magnetic and while the primers are hard it is otherwise very nice--and very clean--ammo.

TGS
04-06-2016, 08:24 PM
I think the Geco 124 has some steel in the jacket rather than the core. The 115 grain Geco is from Hungary is non-magnetic and while the primers are hard it is otherwise very nice--and very clean--ammo.

Like HCM said, there's variations. I don't think it's weight dependent. Their 124gr may or may not have a mild steel jacket...the few cases I have aren't (as specifically noted by SG Ammo).

Definitely very nice, clean ammo regardless. It's almost like they polish them by hand before shipping.

Drew78
04-06-2016, 08:28 PM
Thanks to all. I'm going to pass on this stuff. I'm a regular at my range and the folks there are great. They've apparently had a tough time with shooters bringing in steel ammo and beating the piss out of the backstops in the last year. Don't want to take the chance and lose all that I've gained there.

Tamara
04-06-2016, 09:23 PM
The 115 grain Geco is from Hungary is non-magnetic and while the primers are hard it is otherwise very nice--and very clean--ammo.

It was clean. The stuff I chronoed out of the Walther CCP was loafing along at 1049 fps, though.

HCM
04-06-2016, 09:38 PM
Bimetal means it's a mild-steel jacket.

Different than a steel core, but it may still be against your range rules as it can cause sparks.

For the OP,

As TGS mentioned, steel / bi-metal jackets not only can damage backstops and steel targets (though usually only at rifle velocities) but they can create sparks.

The problem with sparks, particularly on an indoor range is there is always a small amount of un-burnt powder which gets blown down range when you fire. The amounts are small but on a busy commercial or LE range they can build up and catch fire if exposed to sparks.

Chuck Haggard
04-06-2016, 09:40 PM
Steel jackets on bullets made for standard service pistols like the 9mm do not damage backstops any more than regular copper jacketed ammo.

They do throw sparks, and ranges can catch fire if the gun powder residue downrange isn't regularly cleaned up.

Drew78
04-06-2016, 09:46 PM
Hunh, never considered that. Learn something new every day.

Damn you folks are squared away!

xcop
04-07-2016, 06:59 AM
I checked what I have left and the box does not say Bi Metal anywhere just FMJ. It does jump to the magnet so even if it doesnt say Bi Metal it still may be so.

TiroFijo
04-07-2016, 07:50 AM
Steel jackets on bullets made for standard service pistols like the 9mm do not damage backstops any more than regular copper jacketed ammo.

They do throw sparks, and ranges can catch fire if the gun powder residue downrange isn't regularly cleaned up.

THIS. Some people never clean their ranges, they should be cleaned at least daily, or more if the use is very intensive.

bfoosh006
04-12-2016, 10:06 PM

Nosler had their testing corridor ignite a few+ years ago..

I will add... the Swiss Geco 124gr FMJ has been exceedingly accurate out of my AR and H&K VP9.

Chuck Whitlock
04-15-2016, 11:16 AM
I recently purchased a case of 124 gr. Geco from SG Ammo. Magnets appear to be uninterested.

LtDave
04-15-2016, 06:46 PM
Nosler had their testing corridor ignite a few+ years ago..

A gunstore I used to work at burned to the ground when their tunnel caught fire. My former boss and several co-workers were killed.

bfoosh006
04-20-2016, 08:19 PM
The Hungarian made 124gr 9x19 Geco FMJ is copper jacketed.... The Swiss made 124gr 9x19 FMJ is Mild Steel jacketed with a Copper topcoat.

I am pretty sure all 115gr FMJ 9x19 Geco is copper jacketed.