PDA

View Full Version : Glock support hand filler

Lyonsgrid
04-04-2016, 09:46 PM
A friend in my unit showed me his G34 with a mod I’ve not seen before. Used rolled up inter tube under more tube wrap to create a filler or ledge for his support hand grip.

He just returned from a school in Quantico and said many of the instructors were running this set-up. Says many of them picked it up years back from the Mid-South Institute.

Seems to work for him, but I found it awkward and not suited for anything other than range/target shooting. It would really suck if you had to go WHO.

Just curious to see if anyone has used something similar.

Sam
04-04-2016, 10:27 PM
Seems opposite of what you want for AIWB.

ASH556
04-04-2016, 10:30 PM
Seems filler like that might be useful if you were shooting thumbs down but with thumbs forward my support hand is right on the frame where that hump thingy is.

SecondsCount
04-04-2016, 10:57 PM
I like the idea but would put it on the other side as my support hand is wrapped around my dominant hand.

LOKNLOD
04-04-2016, 11:03 PM
I used the large grip panel on just that side of p30/Vp9 to get a little better purchase with my support hand, but that setup seems a bit...extreme.

Need to JB weld a ledge just behind the rail on the frame to press down with your thumb, too.

HCM
04-05-2016, 01:26 AM
That I strictly a range gimmick. It will move / shift at the worst possible moment.

We issued HK USP compacts from about 1998/99 through 2009. Many of of our officers tried the hogue hand all slip on grip sleeve - the one with finger groves and palm swells. Wearing then daily seat belts. Car door frames chair arms etc would cause these to rotate so the finger grooves and palm swell would be in the worst possible position.

Plain inner tube is not bad though.

HCM
04-05-2016, 01:28 AM
Need to JB weld a ledge just behind the rail on the frame to press down with your thumb, too.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/frame-parts/frame-hardware/thumbrests/magloc-reg-thumb-rest-for-glock-reg--prod40289.aspx

AMC
04-05-2016, 03:41 AM
Seen a few similar set-ups on USPSA guns in Production class.....usually using rolled grip tape under grip tape. Oddly, the guns I've seen it on were CZ's, not Glocks.

Beat Trash
04-05-2016, 04:53 AM
I apparently have odd shaped hands. I use the large beaver tail grip on a Gen4 Glock 19. For me, needing a support hand filler is a non-issue.

LOKNLOD
04-05-2016, 09:18 AM
http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/frame-parts/frame-hardware/thumbrests/magloc-reg-thumb-rest-for-glock-reg--prod40289.aspx

That, plus one forward on the frame for your support thumb.

Leroy
04-05-2016, 01:01 PM
Seen a few similar set-ups on USPSA guns in Production class.....usually using rolled grip tape under grip tape. Oddly, the guns I've seen it on were CZ's, not Glocks.
CZs have a really small grip, especially in the direction parallel to the bore, I think they are trying to enlarge the amount of surface area for more hand contact. I don't know why anyone would do this on a Glock, for me, what I like about the Glock, is the large flat sides of the grip which leave a lot of room for weak hand contact. The USP is also similar, but with a grip angle on the opposite end of the spectrum.

JonInWA
04-05-2016, 01:22 PM
I'm moving in the direction of making my frames as small as possible, based on my recent empirical experience with backstraps, sideplates etc. with my Glock Gen4 G22 and HKVP40. I've removed the inner tube segment on my Gen 3 G21 that I've run for years-and achieved better results immediately.

I am, however, still running my G17 and G34 with inner tube segments (with no additional protrusions/bulk) based on successfully performing with them on the "standard frame;" My Gen 3 G19s, like my G21 is now, are run bare.

Best, Jon

ER_STL
04-05-2016, 02:00 PM
If you don't have meaty hands, as I don't, that modification makes a lot of sense. There can be quite a bit of air under both hands when gripping a 2x4 grip like the Glock. I find that larger, rounder grips such as the Sig's P320 are a much more natural fit for me.