PDA

View Full Version : Glock concealment magwells, any experiencies?

frankepc
04-04-2016, 07:06 PM
The three I was most interested in are the agency arms, the Suarez international and the raven. But any input would be greatly appreciated as far as enhancing grip, maintaining concealabilty, and cleaning up sloppy reloads. Are they worth it or just a waste?

VolGrad
04-04-2016, 07:09 PM
Sort of related - I just removed a magwell from my Lone Wolf frame G34 I use for IDPA. I have had one too many mags not get seated properly. Nothing like dropping a mag unexpectedly. Personally, I chose to work on cleaning up my reloads rather than risk not getting a mag seated. Even when I tried to slow down and get it in there good ....

BCL
04-04-2016, 07:33 PM
I personally would practice reloads for free in dry fire than spend money on a magwell. YMMV.

LOKNLOD
04-04-2016, 07:34 PM
Sort of related - I just removed a magwell from my Lone Wolf frame G34 I use for IDPA. I have had one too many mags not get seated properly. Nothing like dropping a mag unexpectedly. Personally, I chose to work on cleaning up my reloads rather than risk not getting a mag seated. Even when I tried to slow down and get it in there good ....

Yeah I think a magwell that requires you to slow down is a solution searching for a problem.

If you want to put a magwell on a Glock, I'd carefully analyze what problem I (think I) have and how the magwell will solve that problem.

Lost River
04-04-2016, 08:07 PM
I don't object to the idea of a concealable magwell on a glock. That said, I would have to go with the thought process of working on perfect practice until the point of unconscious competence in speed reloads.

Don't work on your reloads until you get it right. Work on them until you cannot get them wrong.

VolGrad
04-04-2016, 08:07 PM
A magwell might also prevent you from using an aftermarket baseplate such as the LAV ones .... If you use such an animal.

t1tan
04-04-2016, 08:28 PM
I've been happy with using Glockmeister plugs in the past to improve my reloads, other than that practice will be best.

I did however pre-order a Raven Freya for compact Gen4s so I'll give my thoughts once it shows up. The 17 fits my hand better but overall I prefer the size of the 19 and the size of the Freya seems to bridge that gap and make the 19 exactly what I want so I'm going to give it a shot.

T&Eing the 19 magwell right now. It's soon to find a home on a Boresight Solutions G17 grip chop. I'll post pics when the project is done. As nice as Clint's 17 magwell is, and as good as it works I have to say that the 19 rendition does it's specific duty probably at least 5 times better. To me it's a must have that simply makes that gun run significantly better. Pinching your hand on reloads? Gone. The perfect extra smidgen of length to make that 19 handle more like a 17 and STILL have a more concealable footprint than it's larger brother? Done. You know how a Commander just hits that perfect sweet spot for a lot of people compared to a full size 1911 for concealment? That's kind of what's happening here. I'm REALLY taken with it.

http://www.lightfighter.net/topic/sentinal-design-glock-magazine-well?page=4

GJM
04-04-2016, 08:42 PM
Glockmeister grip plug. Inexpensive, legal in Production/CO, and appreciated by SLG.

SLG
04-04-2016, 08:49 PM
The title of this thread confuses me. I was unaware of any magwells made for Glocks that improve their concealability. I thought the only guys who used them were specifically not concerned with concealment. Or practice. Or the actual mission that a pistol is for.*

*USPSA or other game-oriented shooters are, of course, exempt from my sarcasm. They should also feel free to use Beretta 1301's.

GJM
04-04-2016, 09:10 PM
The title of this thread confuses me. I was unaware of any magwells made for Glocks that improve their concealability. I thought the only guys who used them were specifically not concerned with concealment. Or practice. Or the actual mission that a pistol is for.*

*USPSA or other game-oriented shooters are, of course, exempt from my sarcasm. They should also feel free to use Beretta 1301's.

Shallow attempt at rant failed. You, of anyone here, should know mag wells are NOT legal in Pro and CO, the two most Glock friendly USPSA divisions.

SLG
04-04-2016, 09:16 PM
Shallow attempt at rant failed. You, of anyone here, should know mag wells are NOT legal in Pro and CO, the two most Glock friendly USPSA divisions.

I'm not capable of a true rant on line. One of my many failings. OTOH, I just got back from Todd's service, and though he would be WAY more diplomatic than I am being tonight, he started this forum with certain ideas in mind. Putting a magwell on a glock for concealed carry wasn't one of them. Several units are currently doing just that, but concealing them is pretty far down the list. Regardless, I find the idea of a magwell on a Glock to be fairly humorous, as it's one of the easiest pistols to reload fast. The other really easy to reload fast pistols are Sigs, Beretta's, Smith and Wesson's and HK's. I would include CZ's and 1911's as well, but I have no real CZ experience, and though magwells are ubiquitous on 1911's, I do not think they belong on 1911's destined for concealed carry either. Plus, 1911's without magwells are pretty easy to reload too.

Did I forget any? :-)

GRV
04-04-2016, 09:26 PM

1slow
04-04-2016, 09:56 PM
A double stack mag well is already somewhat of a funnel.

MD7305
04-04-2016, 10:44 PM
I always found the Sig 229 .40/.357 so easy to reload due to the tapering magazine bodies. Never used a magwell on a Glock but I do find the grip plugs help, in my experience.

HCM
04-05-2016, 01:19 AM
Originally Posted by SOUTHNARC
T&Eing the 19 magwell right now. It's soon to find a home on a Boresight Solutions G17 grip chop. I'll post pics when the project is done. As nice as Clint's 17 magwell is, and as good as it works I have to say that the 19 rendition does it's specific duty probably at least 5 times better. To me it's a must have that simply makes that gun run significantly better. Pinching your hand on reloads? Gone. The perfect extra smidgen of length to make that 19 handle more like a 17 and STILL have a more concealable footprint than it's larger brother? Done. You know how a Commander just hits that perfect sweet spot for a lot of people compared to a full size 1911 for concealment? That's kind of what's happening here. I'm REALLY taken with it.

http://www.lightfighter.net/topic/se...ne-well?page=4

As someone who pinches the crap out of his paws reloading G19/23 size guns this ^^^ Is interesting even if it's not any faster.

SLG
04-05-2016, 11:24 PM
As someone who pinches the crap out of his paws reloading G19/23 size guns this ^^^ Is interesting even if it's not any faster.

Using G17 mags solves that problem nicely.

HopetonBrown
04-05-2016, 11:38 PM
The guys I've seen locally with concealment mag wells on their Glock (Agency, SAI) weren't even close to reaping any benefit from them.

msstate56
04-06-2016, 02:12 AM
I've got 2 Agency arms magwells on a 19 and a 23. And 2 VTAC/ Salient magwells on a 17 and a 22. Since I have experience carrying these pistols with the items in question instead of Internet hate on a product I haven't touched in person- I'll weigh in on the issue.

The agency arms doesn't affect the concealability of the 19 at all. It sticks out past the bottom of the grip maybe a 1/16" of an inch. It helps tighten up my hand placement and keeps my grip nice and high in the gun. Does it speed up your reload if you can't perform one at speed already? No. But, it does help ever so slightly to clean up a less than perfect one. What it is really good at is protecting the magwell/ bottom of the grip. I carry my Glocks through all manner of environments. I have dinged some myself, and seen others that were mangled pretty good, usually from a door frame or concrete wall or floor. To me it's good insurance at hardening a fragile point. The grip enhancement it a nice benefit as well.

The VTAC/Salient has different attributes and detractors. The funnel on it is better than the Agency and does slick up reloads. On the 17/22 I don't get the same grip benefit as I do on the 19/23 because my hands aren't that big (M size gloves). The complaint I have is the hard corners they put on the magwell. I would not use this one concealed, because the hard corners would cause printing in thin shirts. However, I use these on open carried duty pistols while on patrol. Same benefit of protecting the bottom of the grip.

I mainly use these two designs because they work with factory base plates. If you can/want to use extended base plates, then I'd use a full size magwell like a Dawson Precision. Which is exactly what I use on my competition guns with +5 extensions. The take away from the "concealment" magwells is you need to be dialed in already to notice any advantage on your reloads. If you are doing slide lock reloads over 2 seconds, they won't knock off a second of reload time. But if you might get grip improvement regardless of your level of skill.

Oh I forgot the standard PF answer: Ignore everything I just typed, run the gun stock only, not even a $5 grip plug, maybe add a NY+ spring for good measure. Shoot 10,000 rounds of practice ammo, 2,000 rounds of $0.75/round duty ammo. Train only with a recognized national celebrity instructor at least monthly. Then after you can do a sub 4 second FASTest, can you be worthy of comment.

Appalachained
04-06-2016, 06:59 AM
I recently bought a polymer Glockstore magwell for one of my g19's. I didn't buy it for reloading speed, but for the grip improvement. I was reading how having the extension under your pinky would help to reduce muzzle flip and give faster follow up shots. Well on a 19 I didn't have enough room for my hand. My fingers wouldn't fit between the magwell and trigger guard. I ended up putting it on a g17 and I have to say I love the way it makes the grip feel. I got my fastest time on the plate rack as soon as I put it on. I don't think the added printing from a carry gun's grip would be worth it though.

secondstoryguy
04-06-2016, 07:06 AM
I run a Sentinel magwell on my duty gun. It helps keep the but of the gun from getting beat up from banging into things.

voodoo_man
04-06-2016, 07:18 AM
*reads thread*

...what kinda magwell are people looking to buy? Zev?Agency?

SLG
04-06-2016, 07:34 AM
*reads thread*

...what kinda exciting life do you all have that you need to protect your Glock from getting it's butt bumped?

FIFY.

cpd2110
04-06-2016, 07:39 AM
I don't know what generation of Glock you are running but if its a Gen 3 you might consider the Seattle Slug from Taylor Freelance. I have run one on my Gen 2 G23 for 15 years and it doesn't mess up concealment and helps tremendously with the reload. As someone said earlier it helps fix the reload that was a little shy of perfect. A buddy has the new low profile Zev and of all the ones of that style I like it the most. I've played with the agency arms, suarez and new one from Raven and didn't care for those for various reasons. If I were buying one the Zev would get the call. It was very low profile, didn't affect concealment the way my buddy carries, actually would help in reloading and moved my buddies hand up a bit which is why he installed the unit. The slug for me has done all of those things well but they don't make one for the gen 4's. The zev has an extension very similar to the slug so maybe that's why I liked it more.

voodoo_man
04-06-2016, 08:04 AM
FIFY.

Buzz kill dude, im tryin to live the high speed life here

msstate56
04-06-2016, 08:38 AM
Buzz kill dude, im tryin to live the high speed life here

Like I said earlier- you've got to run it bone stock if that's what your looking for. Bump it up to 2 classes a month, and 5,000 rounds of Gold Dots, or HSTs (whichever is more expensive and harder to source).

voodoo_man
04-06-2016, 08:49 AM
Like I said earlier- you've got to run it bone stock if that's what your looking for. Bump it up to 2 classes a month, and 5,000 rounds of Gold Dots, or HSTs (whichever is more expensive and harder to source).

I do more training than that, but not with those loads or with that much ammo.

Aint nobody got that type of money.

orionz06
04-06-2016, 08:52 AM

Mindset. You're just not serious and don't get it.

msstate56
04-06-2016, 08:53 AM
FIFY.

You don't ever break stuff when you're high speed and operating dynamically hanging upside down from a little bird. For me it's just mundane day to day stuff like Charger door frames, attic crawl spaces, or sliding/shimmying on concrete. I've got a chip in one of my Agency arms magwells. In aluminum. I don't know what I hit, but I'd be busting out the epoxy and sandpaper to put my grip back together if it hadn't been on there. But I'm not a subject matter expert in anything, I don't operate operationally, nor do I have a tactical beard. Just a long time patrol Sgt. that can find the weak link in an anvil, and wouldn't have to drill a hole in the ball bearing from the improvised weapons thread, because I already broke it in half.

msstate56
04-06-2016, 08:57 AM

Then you're going to get killed on the streets. You haven't thoroughly vetted your equipment. You're clearly still in the hobbyist category.

:D:D;);)

voodoo_man
04-06-2016, 09:43 AM
Mindset. You're just not serious and don't get it.

I better get those magwells on all my guns...chrome is good?

msstate56
04-06-2016, 09:49 AM

No, no, no. Get the FDE ones for your FDE frames, and get the ones for your gray frames cerakoted to match. You did get the special limited run colored frames right?

voodoo_man
04-06-2016, 10:22 AM
No, no, no. Get the FDE ones for your FDE frames, and get the ones for your gray frames cerakoted to match. You did get the special limited run colored frames right?

Looks like im losing speed by the moment.

SLG
04-06-2016, 06:26 PM
I go away for a few hours and a forum stalker shows up. Does this make me a famous celebrity?

Some people take themselves way too seriously...but I'm sure our industrious patrol Sgt. will assume I'm talking about me.

As far as "living the high speed life", the only serious comment I'll make is that aluminum is usually more prone to that kind of damage than polymer is. I've never seen a Glock grip break from, well from anything in the real world. I guess I need to get out more and stop being such a Glock fanboy.

HCM
04-06-2016, 06:35 PM

Gold - a Hennessy fan like yourself always needs bling.:p

martin_j001
04-06-2016, 07:15 PM
I have the Agency magwell on my 34. I like it. Looks good, feels good in gripping the gun, and hasn't seemed to slow my reloads in any way. Also works with the factory baseplates, the Vickers baseplates, the Magpul mags, and TTI extended baseplates. I have used the same magwell on my 17, and the one for a 19 as well. I did not like it on the 19 as much as it sat under the heel of my hand and I feel like it caused me to modify my grip to compensate for it. It did do a good job of keeping me from pinching my hand when reloading though, so that was good. As for concealment, I don't find that it causes any issues with either a 17/34 or 19, at least in my case.

taadski
04-06-2016, 07:47 PM
I go away for a few hours and a forum stalker shows up. Does this make me a famous celebrity?

Some people take themselves way too seriously...but I'm sure our industrious patrol Sgt. will assume I'm talking about me.

I thought the interesting bit was the dichotomy between "long time patrol Sergeant" and the verbiage in his biography stating "I'm an LEO with five years on the street". In a lot of agencies and jurisdictions, it's about 5 years when the moisture behind the ears starts to dry up a little bit.

Just sayin'…. ;)

t

SLG
04-06-2016, 08:24 PM
T and TJ,

I appreciate the thought behind your posts. As you know, there is no question I can be a little rough at times. Some people just don't like to hear their "thing" belittled. I can certainly belittle, though not usually too seriously. Maybe he missed the part in my first post where I mentioned being sarcastic. Which is not to say that I'm in favor of magwells, since I'm not. Need I list the reasons why? I pm'd the OP to apologize for the direction the thread took, as I am the guilty party.

OTOH, the advice that he seemed to want to make fun of, the "standard P-F response", is standard for a reason. MOST people will benefit from it more than buying the latest doodad sold by an overpriced parts company. Once you can run a gun at a high level, then it may be worth looking at certain "upgrades." Funny thing is, most people who can run a gun at a high level tend to stay away from all sorts of those kinds of upgrades.

I was discussing this with a buddy. He doesn't have a cool beard, and as far as I know, he has never hung upside down from a little bird. He is a BTDT guy though, both mil and police. We were reminiscing about Afghanistan (one of the places where a butt plug really comes in handy - both kinds:-) and he said something like "We make fun of the Jingle trucks because of all the crap they put on them, but when guys do that to their weapons here, we call them "essential upgrades." Glocks obviously didn't work before Salient came along, and god only knows how anyone has prevailed in a fight, being limited to stock guns. Maybe skill is more important. Nah, can't be.

To continue this ramble, most real police and mil guys are limited to basically stock guns. The fact that the good Sgt. is allowed to turn his duty weapons into 3 gun type guns is not common, and for good reason.

I have said this many times before. All of us will spend more time on a range than in a fight, no matter who we are. Some people are able to still distinguish what matters in one context from what matters in the other context. Others start to think that what matters on the range, matters in a fight, and mod their guns accordingly. Those are not the people to ask for advice.

At any rate, since the good Sgt. decries the "P-F standard response", I'm sure he can perform at a very high level with his gun, maybe even at a national level. He's in serious physical condition, and can fight with his hands. He may even carry a box of grid squares around with him:-)

Was that belittling? I will be at the OK run and gun in July, if anyone wants to take exception, or prove how many grid squares they can carry.

voodoo_man
04-06-2016, 09:07 PM
Gold - a Hennessy fan like yourself always needs bling.:p

That's what I'm talkin bout! Better get my yeem out!

I thought the interesting bit was the dichotomy between "long time patrol Sergeant" and the verbiage in his biography stating "I'm an LEO with five years on the street". In a lot of agencies and jurisdictions, it's about 5 years when the moisture behind the ears starts to dry up a little bit.

Just sayin'…. ;)

t

We have plenty of three-stripers on the street with less time than my boots and that's not saying much.

LittleLebowski
04-06-2016, 09:22 PM
It's almost like he's emotionally invested in a product.

HCM
04-06-2016, 09:22 PM
We were reminiscing about Afghanistan (one of the places where a butt plug really comes in handy - both kinds:-) and he said something like "We make fun of the Jingle trucks because of all the crap they put on them, but when guys do that to their weapons here, we call them "essential upgrades."

SLG,

Admit it, you have a picture of Mrs. SLG attached to your Yugo AK with Paki tape don't you ;-)

taadski
04-06-2016, 09:23 PM
That makes sense, I surpose. :p. Thanks for the check, Tom. I'll pedal back into my lurking mode. ;)

t

SLG
04-06-2016, 09:38 PM
HCM,

That's a pretty sweet RPK set up. I'm not enough of a subject matter expert to know the exact variant, or if it is an amalgamation (which it looks like to me), but if you want to send it to me, I will tape a picture of Mrs. SLG on it for sure. Of course, she has her own AK, so maybe she'll tape a picture of me on it.

HCM
04-06-2016, 09:45 PM
HCM,

That's a pretty sweet RPK set up. I'm not enough of a subject matter expert to know the exact variant, or if it is an amalgamation (which it looks like to me), but if you want to send it to me, I will tape a picture of Mrs. SLG on it for sure. Of course, she has her own AK, so maybe she'll tape a picture of me on it.

She should ! ERA/NRA !

LOKNLOD
04-06-2016, 10:24 PM
prove how many grid squares they can carry.

Crap, now I need to start a thread about the best pouch for carrying grid squares, but I'm afraid I'll get told to "just put them in your pocket and spend the money on training".

Surf
04-07-2016, 12:15 AM
I don't like aftermarket magwell's for the Glock. However I do like to alter the magwell area to my own design. It makes a very notable difference but looks pretty much stock and adds no bulk for concealment. I do it to all of my Glocks. Feeds extremely well, mags drop free even when dirty, no hang-ups on the grip opening. The only difference in the below photo is that I will also tend to shape and blend the grip plug like the G19 below.

Glock 17's.

Glock 19 that I carry

I also fix the P320's magwell, which makes a huge difference.

SLG
04-07-2016, 06:12 AM
Surf, those look really good. Have you noticed the grip gets weakened at all? Does it damage easily when you bump into things? Have you tried a Glockmeister grip plug?

LittleLebowski
04-07-2016, 08:37 AM
People, on others forums, have said the same thing about you. ;-)

They've also said I drink too much and hang out with the wrong crowd :(

Surf
04-07-2016, 12:14 PM
The problem with the Glock is that the poly material shrinks a bit and loses some of its shape when it comes out of the injection mold and cools down. This is what creates the "pig nose" effect and what also causes the magwell area to start pushing in on the sides of the grip panel and the lips of the magwell form inward slightly. Now the "pig nose" is a cosmetic thing but the shape that grip and magwell take after coming out of the mold and cooling down definitely do not optimize function.

This from a Glock pistol seems to be "normal" to everyone as that is how all Glocks come from the manufacturer (so maybe it is normal), however the poly injection mold is not exactly this same final cooled down shape. It is very small if you were to mic it, but those small differences make big differences in performance, especially the sticky mag problem, which completely becomes non-existent immediately after I work a Glock pistol, which is how it should be. Even all but perhaps a mud coated dirty mag will become pretty much a non-issue.

The problem I have with most aftermarket magwells for the Glock is that they have the same opening size as the "shrunken" magwell. Sometimes the lip of the Glocks magwell can vary on how pushed in the grip is and some magwells might create a lip where the magwell opening meets the pistols grip opening. The aftermarket magwell also does nothing to help open this up, unless if you do some custom fitting of the magwell and the pistol. Which IMO is not worth the effort for the results that I achieve with the stock grip and magwell.

As for the P320 the polymer is different than the Glocks Polymide recipe, and the material used by Sig Sauer is stiffer, however the Sig pistol, as with most, was designed by an engineer who thinks a box (magazine) needs to be inserted into a box (magwell / grip). So the room for improvement on the P320 frame module especially around the magwell area is big.

LittleLebowski
04-07-2016, 12:47 PM
Are they wrong? :D

That JV kid is gonna get me in trouble for sure.

LOKNLOD
04-07-2016, 01:23 PM
If you're a Glock grip-chop fan, cutting a G17 to 19 grip length means you cut it back to where there is more meat to work with and shape the magwell area to preference. You can also do some work with a permanent filling of the grip-hole area to make an internal mag funnel. I did it with a Brownells acraglass product, and it's pretty slick and has held up well. I know not everyone is a fan of permanent filling of the backstrap (vs a removable plug).

Crappy pic:
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160407/c844fdfa310c568170b396007b0893c2.jpg

Surf
04-07-2016, 01:36 PM
Surf, those look really good. Have you noticed the grip gets weakened at all? Does it damage easily when you bump into things? Have you tried a Glockmeister grip plug?I have seen no reduction in the strength, or structural integrity of the pistol or poly material from heating or cooling. The poly is unlike steel in that it does not seem to diminish in strength once heated and cooled. It does not need to be "hardened" again like steel.

In about the last decade + of doing this to Glocks I have not seen one fail in any manner. This goes for any of my pistols or for anyone that I have done for them. The one in the picture above and below is a first production run Gen4. Since new it has been my primary training, do everything pistol and has been everywhere with me through countless courses, training sessions and tens of thousands of rounds, well north of 100K, so it has been beat to shit. Been stippled twice and is due for a third touch up.

Also notice that from the side view the magwell design is no more intrusive than a stock pistol.
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/12919649_1727473190800546_2233759566810017377_n.jp g?oh=a2b7154e36193e023201723c665083f8&oe=57B6BFAD

Just like any Glock, the magwell can get beat up. I have since shaped the grip plug, but have not specifically tried the Glockmeister but it does look like a good design. Also note that the magwell can be easily cleaned up and will take quite a bit of time and effort to bang it up again. It is only cosmetic that I would consider normal wear and tear. When I touch up the stippling again, I will clean up the magwell and post pics for reference. I wouldn't normally do anything to the magwell but it will be a good reference for others to see as to what can be done for a resto job on an aging or abused pistol.

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xal1/v/t1.0-9/12512791_1727473184133880_3356820116965176839_n.jp g?oh=2f452d40084e91225ae358a38357288c&oe=57851B6D

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/v/t1.0-9/12933074_1727473180800547_5403637772332223603_n.jp g?oh=15c5d482d806fb12fe2ed1121c7365ab&oe=57B782E1

Surf
04-07-2016, 01:42 PM
I know not everyone is a fan of permanent filling of the backstrap (vs a removable plug).

Fill is no longer my preference as you mention. I did a lot of reductions with a fill and sand method and added beavertails and did magwells in that manner, however with the Gen 4's which are my preference, the grip only needs a slight reduction and the backstraps are good options for those who want a tail. Never did like the glass magwell however. None the less there are still times when a fill is still viable and it looks like you did a nice job with it.

LOKNLOD
04-07-2016, 02:18 PM
Fill is no longer my preference as you mention. I did a lot of reductions with a fill and sand method and added beavertails and did magwells in that manner, however with the Gen 4's which are my preference, the grip only needs a slight reduction and the backstraps are good options for those who want a tail. Never did like the glass magwell however. None the less there are still times when a fill is still viable and it looks like you did a nice job with it.

Thanks. It started out as an experiment while I was primarily shooting HKs anyway, but I came to like it. I didn't do any reduction work (it's unaltered externally, except for the grip length obviously) but sometimes wish I'd done a little more with it.

I've come to prefer the Gen4s as well, and despite loving the chop concept I'm pretty happy with the non-fiddlefuckery of just getting a Gen4 G19.

msstate56
04-07-2016, 05:42 PM
Wow, just wow. I give my opinion on a product that I have extensive experience with, and try to inject a little humor. Instead I get a page and a half of personal attacks on everything from my shooting skill, my years on, to my fitness level. I don't believe I attacked or insulted anyone. What gives?

Anyway I feel I need to clarify, but the list is long and I might not hit everything.

I've been in LE for 10 years. I haven't touched that profile page since I joined the forum. I've been a supervisor for over 3 years, having between 7 and 10 officers under my supervision.

I'm not emotionally invested in any product. I carried a G22 on duty, and numerous others off duty without a magwell for years and everything was fine. I do however think that a grip plug should be mandatory, especially on an open carried duty gun. I use the low profile magwells because I think they do offer some advantages, but the pistol will work just fine without them. I do notice a benefit, but others may not.

If adding a low profile magwell and some grip tape takes a pistol into the 3 gun gamer category, then I'm guilty. I do compete in USPSA, Steel Challenge, and 3 gun. I won't be winning any national titles, but I am competitive at the local and state level. I think SLG has it out for me because I like the Beretta 1301. I've never carried a grid square, nor do I consider myself high speed. I don't feel the need or point in calling anyone out because of their opinion on the Internet.

Take it easy gentlemen. Try to lighten up and just enjoy sarcasm when you see it.

SLG
04-07-2016, 06:24 PM
Wow, just wow. I give my opinion on a product that I have extensive experience with, and try to inject a little humor. Instead I get a page and a half of personal attacks on everything from my shooting skill, my years on, to my fitness level. I don't believe I attacked or insulted anyone. What gives?

Anyway I feel I need to clarify, but the list is long and I might not hit everything.

I've been in LE for 10 years. I haven't touched that profile page since I joined the forum. I've been a supervisor for over 3 years, having between 7 and 10 officers under my supervision.

I'm not emotionally invested in any product. I carried a G22 on duty, and numerous others off duty without a magwell for years and everything was fine. I do however think that a grip plug should be mandatory, especially on an open carried duty gun. I use the low profile magwells because I think they do offer some advantages, but the pistol will work just fine without them. I do notice a benefit, but others may not.

If adding a low profile magwell and some grip tape takes a pistol into the 3 gun gamer category, then I'm guilty. I do compete in USPSA, Steel Challenge, and 3 gun. I won't be winning any national titles, but I am competitive at the local and state level. I think SLG has it out for me because I like the Beretta 1301. I've never carried a grid square, nor do I consider myself high speed. I don't feel the need or point in calling anyone out because of their opinion on the Internet.

Take it easy gentlemen. Try to lighten up and just enjoy sarcasm when you see it.

Well, I for one, did not see any of it as sarcasm, and it came across as an attack to more than a few of us. If that is incorrect, as you say, than I apologize. I do not have it out for you in any way at all, and certainly not because you like the 1301. It looked to me like you were doing the same thing in the 1301 thread, which is why I responded. I completely stand by my comments on the equipment and policy side, but will retract any ill will (if you will allow me) I may have fostered on the personal side, and chalk this up to a misunderstanding. However, if you look at your comments again, I think you will see what I am talking about.

msstate56
04-07-2016, 07:10 PM
Apology accepted and I meant no offense to you or anyone. My satire on the PF response was solely intended in jest. I fully agree that everyone would be better off just shooting the gun and attending more training. As a firearms instructor myself, I know that you can't buy skill. Buying a new gun or accessory won't make you any better without practice.

BWT
04-07-2016, 09:52 PM
Not coming to offer offense or what not.

However, I do find the glockmeister grip plug (or other grip plug with similar shape/size/function) would pretty much serve my purposes. After using a 1911 for some time going to a mag well that big and also having a mag that's top is more triangular in shape (going from double to single stack); I found that getting the magazine into the mag well (even if not done particularly well or off to one side or the other) was just much easier.

I feel like in retrospect the magazine's shape helps the double stack width of the grip act like a natural mag well.

Now... that being said; I once pinched myself so good with a Glock 19 and 15 round magazine that I easily saw why a mag well would have a purpose. ;) Thankfully that's only happened once. If that happened consistently; I'd probably carry a different gun.

Just my $.02.

God Bless,

Brandon

ETA: Surf, you ever think about doing custom work on the side? I'm sure you already do with your job but opening a business for it?

LSP552
04-07-2016, 10:35 PM
Now... that being said; I once pinched myself so good with a Glock 19 and 15 round magazine that I easily saw why a mag well would have a purpose. ;) Thankfully that's only happened once. If that happened consistently; I'd probably carry a different gun.

This is why my G19 reload is a G17 mag.

voodoo_man
04-08-2016, 07:18 AM
This is why my G19 reload is a G17 mag.

This is why my g19 reload is a 22rnd ets mag.

Whiskey_Bravo
04-08-2016, 09:59 AM
I installed the Agency model on my EDC Gen 4 Glock 19. I have really big hands (XL Work Gloves/XXL Nitrile Gloves) and the magwell helps me with getting proper leverage on the grip, as others have mentioned here. It does not make the pistol print more and it acts as a grip plug as well since I have been unable to find a grip plug that works with the factory beavertail back straps installed which is a must for me to not get slide bite.

I understand the arguments on both sides. For me this is about comfort and function as opposed to some notion that it instantly makes me reload faster.

I may just shit can the plan all together and carry a 17 instead, I like the 19/34 combo more than I like the 17/19 or 17/26 combo.

Mr_White
04-08-2016, 11:06 AM
It's a balancing act to forsake superficially trying to buy skill via accessorizing, but also not miss out on ACTUAL performance improvements that some of those parts/accessories can bring.

Surf
04-08-2016, 11:41 AM

ETA: Surf, you ever think about doing custom work on the side? I'm sure you already do with your job but opening a business for it?

Hey Brandon,

I get asked to do work on a regular basis but I am very selective as I don't seem to have the time to fit it in. If I am working on someones weapons, I am probably doing it without charge. I have considered doing it for profit and have had smithing type of opportunities as I do quite a bit of other gun work, but with my own business I am kind of busy right now and I am trying to fry some bigger fish, so to speak. I always appreciate the interest from others!

Surf
04-08-2016, 11:46 AM

The magwell treatement I perform alleviates this issue completely from the G19.

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/12987135_1727775474103651_6530535397980280647_n.jp g?oh=4abd15da48eedb410d7ae5d938885e53&oe=578A9AAE

GRV
04-08-2016, 12:36 PM
It's a balancing act to forsake superficially trying to buy skill via accessorizing, but also not miss out on ACTUAL performance improvements that some of those parts/accessories can bring.

On one end of the spectrum there's fighting with open class race guns with hair triggers.

On the other end of the spectrum there's fighting with muskets because "the M4 is a cheater gun".

At the end of the day, the mission defines what's acceptable and should be the thing that rules out the race gun but allows the M4...I just don't think we are clear enough about what the actual requirements of the missions are, and I don't think we're too good deriving explicit gear constraints from them.

GJM
04-08-2016, 12:45 PM
Worrying about whether some other guy uses a Glock magwell seems akin to worrying about whether some other guy wears 100 percent cotton or 50/50 T-shirts.

DocGKR
04-08-2016, 04:25 PM
Got a few--they give a bit more leverage while grasping a G19.

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b580/DocGKR2/G19%20comp%20RMR06%20x300U_zpshfaoztua.jpg

Wondering Beard
04-08-2016, 05:07 PM
This is why my g19 reload is a 22rnd ets mag.

How reliable have the ETS mags, in whatever configuration, been?

I'm getting interested in the 22rd variant since it's higher cap than the OEM 17rd but looks a lot easier to carry than the OEM 33rd. However, before I decide, I'd rather know that all their magazine designs are reliable.

nycnoob
04-08-2016, 05:29 PM

Surf,

I am having trouble seeing what you did. Did you flare the magazine well out abit?
Did you use a heat gun to do it?

Sigfan26
04-08-2016, 07:18 PM

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b580/DocGKR2/G19%20comp%20RMR06%20x300U_zpshfaoztua.jpg

What mag well is that?

t1tan
04-08-2016, 08:21 PM
Salient

msstate56
04-08-2016, 10:44 PM

That one appears to be more "rounded" with the corners much less pronounced than on the G17/22 VTAC/Sailient versions I have.

BWT
04-12-2016, 10:43 PM
Hey Brandon,

I get asked to do work on a regular basis but I am very selective as I don't seem to have the time to fit it in. If I am working on someones weapons, I am probably doing it without charge. I have considered doing it for profit and have had smithing type of opportunities as I do quite a bit of other gun work, but with my own business I am kind of busy right now and I am trying to fry some bigger fish, so to speak. I always appreciate the interest from others!

Absolutely, that makes total sense; priorities are priorities. Also, given the readily apparent quality of work; you could end up behind a bench so regularly it may suck the fun out of it.

Nice, I've never considered an extensive frame modification to a Glock but this might be worth consideration at some point.

As far as the other guys; my reload is a Glock 17 OEM magazine as well. I bought some extensions in the past but wasn't confident enough in their durability to put it on my only spare. Perhaps, I'll re-consider it giving the folks weighing in on the matter.

God Bless and Thanks for the feedback from all,

Brandon

EVP
04-12-2016, 11:31 PM
I don't like aftermarket magwell's for the Glock. However I do like to alter the magwell area to my own design. It makes a very notable difference but looks pretty much stock and adds no bulk for concealment. I do it to all of my Glocks. Feeds extremely well, mags drop free even when dirty, no hang-ups on the grip opening. The only difference in the below photo is that I will also tend to shape and blend the grip plug like the G19 below.

Glock 17's.

Glock 19 that I carry

I also fix the P320's magwell, which makes a huge difference.

Looks great surf!

Quick question did you heat and flare the bottom then sand/blend it? Or did you just sand it and take the lip off?

Surf
04-14-2016, 11:11 PM
Looks great surf!

Quick question did you heat and flare the bottom then sand/blend it? Or did you just sand it and take the lip off?

Hey Kevin, for the Glock it is a heat and roll and no material is removed from around the magwell but the plug is contoured. I have a custom made jig that I built for this purpose to make it easy as I do it a lot and before anyone asks, no I don't make them for others and have no plans to produce and sell one. Sorry but this is the next line of questions that I normally get. :)

For the P320, the poly material is different and does not respond in similar to the Glock when it comes to heat, so the P320 is a sand and blend. With the Glock you must not get crazy with the heat and you must not distort the grip too much in general. It is hard to get carried away with it, but invariably there are guys who seem to accomplish a FUBAR on their pistol no matter.

voodoo_man
04-15-2016, 11:33 PM
So in true PF style....anyone have a hook up with a company who makes a desirable magwell that we might be able to get a group buy going?

If that type of thing is good with the admin...

orionz06
04-16-2016, 10:45 AM
Raven?

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl

nycnoob
04-16-2016, 11:12 AM
Hey Kevin, for the Glock it is a heat and roll and no material is removed from around the magwell but the plug is contoured. I have a custom made jig that I built for this purpose to make it easy as I do it a lot and before anyone asks, no I don't make them for others and have no plans to produce and sell one. Sorry but this is the next line of questions that I normally get. :)

Can we see a photo of your Jig?

voodoo_man
04-16-2016, 05:13 PM
Raven?

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl

This one? http://rcsgear.com/freya/

Doesn't look too shabby.

You got a connection there? Set it up!

JCS
04-16-2016, 06:06 PM
What does btdt stand for? I've seen it a few times and always wonder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GJM
04-16-2016, 06:09 PM
By chance, I did a group buy last night -- four grip plugs from Glockmeister. :)

LOKNLOD
04-16-2016, 06:14 PM
What does btdt stand for? I've seen it a few times and always wonder.

Been There, Done That

voodoo_man
04-16-2016, 06:36 PM
By chance, I did a group buy last night -- four grip plugs from Glockmeister. :)

no magwells?

low speed bro...

GJM
04-16-2016, 06:52 PM
no magwells?

low speed bro...

Actually high speed, but you gotta put the dry fire work in.

LittleLebowski
04-16-2016, 07:33 PM

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/12987135_1727775474103651_6530535397980280647_n.jp g?oh=4abd15da48eedb410d7ae5d938885e53&oe=578A9AAE

God, I hope you take in orders for that someday. I've got a Gen3 19 I don't want to send anywhere else.

LittleLebowski
04-16-2016, 07:34 PM

Does that cover one couch of forgotten guns in the GJM household?

GJM
04-16-2016, 07:48 PM
Does that cover one couch of forgotten guns in the GJM household?

Remember this, only HK pistols end up in the couch. Glock pistols are kept outside, like working dogs.

orionz06
04-16-2016, 08:04 PM
This one? http://rcsgear.com/freya/

Doesn't look too shabby.

You got a connection there? Set it up!

Reached out to the owner. Will see what happens. May need to go through a retailer, if so there's one in mind as well.

GRV
04-16-2016, 08:53 PM
The three I was most interested in are the agency arms, the Suarez international and the raven. But any input would be greatly appreciated as far as enhancing grip, maintaining concealabilty, and cleaning up sloppy reloads. Are they worth it or just a waste?

I want to revisit the OP because I think some of us, myself included (at least in spirit), have been a bit unfair.

There's a stock-or-bust camp of PF that prides themselves on shooting what they carry, carrying real duty pistols, and shooting them well. They pride themselves on not giving in to the urge to use gamer gear as a crutch. I count myself among that crowd. (Okay, maybe not the "shooting them well" part ;)) One might even argue that it is the core or original PF clique.

However, I recently made a post, which inspired a thread, which maybe needs to be stated again.

On one end of the spectrum there's fighting with open class race guns with hair triggers.

On the other end of the spectrum there's fighting with muskets because "the M4 is a cheater gun".

At the end of the day, the mission defines what's acceptable and should be the thing that rules out the race gun but allows the M4...I just don't think we are clear enough about what the actual requirements of the missions are, and I don't think we're too good deriving explicit gear constraints from them.

If one can conceal a magwell on a full-size gun, which helps with grip or reloads or whatever, without effecting the reliability of the firearm or breaking concealability, then we should be in full support. The mission is to conceal a reliable use-appropriate firearm. I can't see how a magwell breaks any mission constraints other than concealability, and the OP explicitly stated he was looking at magwells he can still conceal. He even named three magwells that are designed to be minimal enough to conceal, as opposed to the massive competition ones. If it fits the mission requirements, and adds advantage, then only a fool would belittle it or refuse to use it. The OP clearly does not have agency constraints, and I don't see such a product being a legal issue for armed civilians.

Anyone who still thinks it's something to roll eyes at or make fun of should consider their own CCW. Do you carry a full size gun? Why? Oh, because it's more effective for the mission? But, it's objectively harder to conceal. You can still conceal it just fine, you say? Oh, interesting. Sounds like you're optimizing your gear choice within your mission constraints :cool:

Personally, I think one of these magwells would break my own concealment. I don't really have the money or interest priorities to experiment right now, and there are other reasons it doesn't fit my mission, but maybe one day I'll explore the idea. In the meantime, I want to personally apologize to the OP for any criticism I may have voiced, or not voiced but thought about voicing, or supported in this thread.

To the stock-or-bust camp, I think we should all exercise extreme care and be self critical lest we turn into the "muskets or bust" camp. It's very easy to pride ourselves in our own hardcoreness and invent constraints that don't exist and don't serve to do anything other than (1) make our guns harder for ourselves and other to shoot and (2) give us a tool to outcast reasonable members of our community. However, we should turn inwards before doing so....because we are no better than those we criticize if only we remember that we carry full-size modern semi-automatic pistols precisely because of the performance gain they provide. There have been a lot of threads touching on this area lately, so there's plenty of opportunity for constructive thinking.

At the same time, I'm not saying we should stop hassling people who are falling back on gamer gear as a crutch which does compromise the mission (whether by reliability, or whatever). By all means, let's continue to make fun of them :p

[/end rant]

SLG
04-16-2016, 09:18 PM
While I agree in theory with what Dove wrote above, I think it is based on a lack of experience with Glock magwells. I wrote what I wrote (perhaps more harshly than I should have, as it was intended to be slightly humorous) because I have tried most of the magwells out there and found them all to be lacking in one regard or another. If it helped speed, it made factory baseplates hard or impossible to get to, and often added too much size. If factory plates were fine, it didn't add speed. Those are my biggest issues with the concept. Someone will likely split the difference and get some gain with little loss.

It is more than that though. What is the mission of the pistol? How fast can it be reloaded? How many fights in the U.S. have ever gone to a second magazine? How often does YOUR technique result in a fumbled reload? I am currently pulling 1.0-1.25 sec slidelock reloads from a duty belt. Add between .25 and .5 secs from concealment. Glocks are really easy to reload fast. If you fumble the reload a lot, maybe it is your technique that needs changing. Maybe you need more practice. How much faster does a reload have to be to make ANY downside to the magwell worth it? I find that people that go to things like magwells on concealment pistols, rarely learn where their deficiencies are, and so they never really improve.

Maybe I should have explained myself better, earlier.

GRV
04-16-2016, 11:21 PM
I think it is based on a lack of experience with Glock magwells.

Yes. Absolutely. I've kept more than a 100 ft pole's length away from them.

...I have tried most of the magwells out there and found them all to be lacking in one regard or another. If it helped speed, it made factory baseplates hard or impossible to get to, and often added too much size. If factory plates were fine, it didn't add speed. Those are my biggest issues with the concept.

Awesome. That's the sort of justifiable criticism I was hoping for and anticipating. I went and looked at some pictures of these "concealable magwells" and, frankly, saw what appeared to be the two categories you're talking about here. I certainly trust your judgement and experience here.

It is more than that though. What is the mission of the pistol? How fast can it be reloaded? How many fights in the U.S. have ever gone to a second magazine? How often does YOUR technique result in a fumbled reload?

I'm not particularly convinced by this. I agree with the premise. However, if a piece of gear has no other downsides, then any benefit is welcome. In my own reloads, I have fumbled them enough to say that the reliability of a magwell would be welcome if it came at no other significant costs. Now, it sounds like these things don't really come for free, which certainly changes the cost benefit analysis and so, as far as the real world is concerned, I agree with you.

I am currently pulling 1.0-1.25 sec slidelock reloads from a duty belt. Add between .25 and .5 secs from concealment. Glocks are really easy to reload fast. If you fumble the reload a lot, maybe it is your technique that needs changing. Maybe you need more practice. How much faster does a reload have to be to make ANY downside to the magwell worth it? I find that people that go to things like magwells on concealment pistols, rarely learn where their deficiencies are, and so they never really improve.

Is that duty-belt time using open-top mag pouches?

The fastest concealment reload I've ever seen was 2.25 (I think). On a good day, I'll do ~2.5. On a usual day, it's closer to 3.0. And sometimes worse. In my case, I firmly believe practice is what is needed. Which is why I spent over an hour in dryfire working on just that a day or two ago, and why I've just made some serious changes to my administrative handling routine to reinforce workspace positioning and reload motion.

As far as magwells go, I think maximizing speed when done correct is not particularly useful in the real world, but resilience to doing it incorrectly may very well be. Fumbled reloads can cost a lot in terms of time, attention, and morale. Regarding the statement about people, I'm inclined to agree. My post was written more as a reminder to myself to give people the benefit of the doubt, stay in my own lane, and remain self critical.

I do want to say something about the practice thing though. I have enough data to convince me that reloads on a Glock can be executed reliably, consistently, and quickly with a reasonable amount of practice. However, for the sake of theoretical argument (can you tell it's a pasttime of mine? :rolleyes:), I don't think "You could do X if you practiced more." is carte-blanche a good argument against improving gear. Jelly Bryce could shoot a coin out of the air with a revolver. A number of exhibition shooters could do things with antiquated hardware with such speed and accuracy to make us all blush. Some of them are legitimate freaks of nature, but many of them got there by decades of practice. Whoop de doo. If I can buy for $20 something that is going to save me decades of practice, I know which of those two options I'm going to choose. I'll spend those decades on something more productive. The problem becomes that in the real world, it doesn't really cost you $20. As you allude to with the magwells, it either doesn't do the job, or it costs you a lot more (breaking hard mission constraints such as concealability). So, again, in practice I agree with you, but the intellectual asswipe in me insists that I articulate the fine points of my theoretical disagreement :)

frankepc
04-17-2016, 03:18 AM
I posted the question in regards to my off duty carry gun, Glock 19 Gen 4. I have big hands and they extend past the pistol grip, which causes a slight pinch and occasionally a fumble. With that said I’ve stuck with this gun because it’s the gun I shoot best.

GJM
04-17-2016, 07:21 AM
That is bodacious performance -- I nominate SLG as SME of slide lock reloads.

SLG
04-17-2016, 07:38 AM
I posted the question in regards to my off duty carry gun, Glock 19 Gen 4. I have big hands and they extend past the pistol grip, which causes a slight pinch and occasionally a fumble. With that said I’ve stuck with this gun because it’s the gun I shoot best.

Now I'm curious. Do you shoot it better than a G17? If so, in what way? Speed? Accuracy? On what types of drills? What is the difference?

Does using a G17 magazine remove the reload problem, or is it that your hand prevents the mag from entering the well?

Not that it matters, but I have small hands, and I carry a Gen 4 22 because I prefer it in very small ways to my other choices. Those choices include G19/17 and G23 as well as some others. I'm not going to get into it here, but there is no functional difference for me between the 17 and 22, and I would be perfectly fine with the 17 as well.

SLG
04-17-2016, 07:41 AM
That is bodacious performance -- I nominate SLG as SME of slide lock reloads.

There is a well known USPSA GM who used to be called the King of the hotel reload. We were in his office one day, dry-firing, and I beat him most of the time. He named me the king of the office reload.

GJM
04-17-2016, 07:47 AM
Video is all we need to complete this picture.

SLG
04-17-2016, 09:11 AM
Video is all we need to complete this picture.

Years ago, Todd put a video of me up doing a reload from my duty belt. I don't know if it is still on P-T or not. I won't be on my range today, but I am happy to try and video at an indoor range I'll be at later this week.

Do you doubt me?

GRV
04-17-2016, 09:22 AM
Do you doubt me?

If that's what it takes to get you to post a video? Yes.

voodoo_man
04-17-2016, 10:21 AM
Reached out to the owner. Will see what happens. May need to go through a retailer, if so there's one in mind as well.

update when updated.

johncorey
04-17-2016, 10:34 AM
So I went down the path of a magwell for Glock sometime last year. After researching all the available and down-selecting to those which actually would be feasible for carrying, I went with the Sentinel, currently licensed from Raven as the Freya. What I quickly found is that it actually did not help my reloads whatsoever. More times than not, I was not able to seat the mag as fast or as smooth as without it. It forced me to visually check and at times alter my reload because the mag top was about to connect to the rim of the inside of the Sentinel, instead of the actual frame. Although the Sentinel felt really, really nice in my hand and certainly aided with my grip by adding a very nicely formed butt to mate up with, it simply did not fulfill its purpose FOR ME. It currently sits in my "sell whenever I'm not too lazy too" box.

So count me in the camp of those Glock shooters who do just fine without one, and currently sit at an on demand sub 2-second reload anyways.

orionz06
04-17-2016, 11:28 AM
No live fire to confirm this but I did find a use for a magwell for me.

On a G19, Gen 4 specifically, with the medium beavertail backstrap trimmed down and a Freya the 19 will point the same as a 17 for me and still benefit with a shorter grip. Not a huge deal really as grip chops are easy but this isn't permanent and can be done quickly. I can set up two G19's for the price of one chopped from a reputable shop, accounting for shipping back and forth.

frankepc
04-17-2016, 08:32 PM
The glock 17 mags don't help on my 19, and inside 25 yards I shoot the 19 more accurately and it comes out faster both on my duty rigs and concealment holster. Both the dot torture and 10-8 pistol standards confirm this for me. Thanks for everyone that provided some insight and for the rest I'm not really sure what all the hostility is all about. For such a group of elitest who do nothing but plug what they consider the next big thing I'm pretty surprised. Every picture thread on this forum is flooded of everyone's carry guns with grip plugs, grip force adopters, stipple jobs, tritium sights, RMR's, Burton/Wilson full customs and the list goes on and on. Not sure how those things are any different than asking advice on a magell.

SLG
04-17-2016, 08:42 PM
The glock 17 mags don't help on my 19, and inside 25 yards I shoot the 19 more accurately and it comes out faster both on my duty rigs and concealment holster. Both the dot torture and 10-8 pistol standards confirm this for me. Thanks for everyone that provided some insight and for the rest I'm not really sure what all the hostility is all about. For such a group of elitest who do nothing but plug what they consider the next big thing I'm pretty surprised. Every picture thread on this forum is flooded of everyone's carry guns with grip plugs, grip force adopters, stipple jobs, tritium sights, RMR's, Burton/Wilson full customs and the list goes on and on. Not sure how those things are any different than asking advice on a magell.

I'm not doubting you, but I am very surprised to hear that a guy with big hands finds the G19 faster out of the holster. What is your FAST time with a 19? With a 17?

As for the hostility, that was so last week, or maybe you just like to be fashionably late? :-) As for the long list of possible mods to guns, not all mods are equal. Seriously.

frankepc
04-17-2016, 09:26 PM
I'm not doubting you, but I am very surprised to hear that a guy with big hands finds the G19 faster out of the holster. What is your FAST time with a 19? With a 17?

As for the hostility, that was so last week, or maybe you just like to be fashionably late? :-) As for the long list of possible mods to guns, not all mods are equal. Seriously.

I'm not here to start some silly forum fight, I haven't shot the Fast in over two years. And sorry that the response to my OP is so last week but my world doesn't revolve around PF.

SLG
04-17-2016, 09:43 PM
Was it this video (http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/118reload.mov) (quicktime .mov file) from this post (http://pistol-training.com/archives/149)?

Yes, thanks. My technique has changed a fair bit since then, but the basic reload speed is the same.

SLG
04-17-2016, 09:52 PM
I'm not here to start some silly forum fight, I haven't shot the Fast in over two years. And sorry that the response to my OP is so last week but my world doesn't revolve around PF.

What fight are you talking about? I even put a smiley face into the last post. I guess my humor was too obtuse, sorry.

I asked about the FAST, because it will tell me more than Dot torture (which tells me very little), and more still than the 10-8 standards. Obviously, you may not care, in which case I certainly don't care either.

frankepc
04-17-2016, 11:13 PM
Last time I shot the fast was with a completely different gun (glock 21 with a boresight grip package) on top of that haven’t been able to do much other than short range sessions since breaking my hand a couple of months back. So the Dot torture and the 10-8 pistol standards is all I have current with both guns. I will try and hit the range next week and hopefully I’ll be able to get some FAST times with both guns.

Isaac
04-18-2016, 07:41 AM
I would revisit the G26 if they made a concealable mag well for it. Last I checked, Sentinel, Zev, & Agency don't...

GRV
04-18-2016, 02:39 PM
Yes, thanks. My technique has changed a fair bit since then, but the basic reload speed is the same.

Very interesting reload. You appear to leave the gun extended out quite far during execution. Very different from most of the things I've tried.

Funny, your range presence in that video reminds me of my shooting partner eyemahm in a lot of ways....just faster ;)

I would still really like to see a video of your current reload, preferably from concealment, if the offer is still on the table.

Surf
04-19-2016, 02:59 AM
God, I hope you take in orders for that someday. I've got a Gen3 19 I don't want to send anywhere else.

You will have purchase order #0001 if I ever go that route. :)

jlw
04-19-2017, 08:41 PM
Thread necropsy:

Has anyone with the Agency Arms magwell had any issues with the mags not falling free? (Gen4 G19 with medium backstrap)

jlw
04-22-2017, 06:52 PM
I ended up going through all of my mags. The mags with just the single side cut and no metal strip across the front stick. The mags with the metal strip across the front will fall free. The newest style with the ambi cut but no metal strip are 50/50.

voodoo_man
04-27-2017, 07:47 AM
I love and hate magpul. Specifically because they change the game almost seamlessly with cheap as hell parts that seem to work really well. I doubt this will be any different...

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/IMG_3816-540x700.jpg

Seeing as how it's plastic and everyone and their mother will get two or three, then stipple them, I don't see how metal magwells will stay popular...

martin_j001
04-27-2017, 09:04 AM
Thread necropsy:

Has anyone with the Agency Arms magwell had any issues with the mags not falling free? (Gen4 G19 with medium backstrap)

I had a similar experience with a couple different magwells I have tried and used, and in my cause found that the grip opening was ever-so-slightly pinched during installation of the magwell, and that by pushing outward on the inside of the grip just above where the magwell installed seemed to fix the issue.

I love and hate magpul. Specifically because they change the game almost seamlessly with cheap as hell parts that seem to work really well. I doubt this will be any different...

Seeing as how it's plastic and everyone and their mother will get two or three, then stipple them, I don't see how metal magwells will stay popular...

Interesting...not seeing it on their site yet, any ideas as to a launch date?

voodoo_man
04-27-2017, 09:23 AM
Interesting...not seeing it on their site yet, any ideas as to a launch date?

It's a "leak" I found online.

Probably in a month or so as that's how they usually "leak" them.

Default.mp3
04-27-2017, 11:01 AM
Interesting...not seeing it on their site yet, any ideas as to a launch date?COMING SUMMER 2017

Source: https://www.magpul.com/products/gl-enhanced-magazine-well

So, same time as the UBR GEN2, amirite.

martin_j001
04-27-2017, 12:42 PM
...and of course I get the email about it within hours of asking, lol. I promise it wasn't listed under new products when I looked earlier. :)

STI
04-27-2017, 03:12 PM
Seeing as how it's plastic ...

With that thin cross section, are you worried about this choice?

voodoo_man
04-27-2017, 03:21 PM
With that thin cross section, are you worried about this choice?

I've got one those Zev pro g19 jobbies that I'll compare it to, so only time will tell.

Trajan
04-27-2017, 03:34 PM
Only advantage I've found with magwells on Glocks is that it locks your grip in. Problem is these concealment magwells aren't flared enough to really do that. I'm a civilian, and I play production, so theres really no time I would ever use a big ol magwell either unfortunately.

Magpull is interesting though. Maybe I'll mod my 19L for one.

Crawls
04-28-2017, 07:06 PM
Post deleted.

GuanoLoco
04-28-2017, 11:19 PM
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/04/26/leaked-magpul-gl-enhanced-magwell/

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/IMG_3816.jpg

voodoo_man
04-29-2017, 10:40 AM
I'm gana preorder for 19 gen3 and gen4 also gen3 17. Also that new mag release for AR

Doublestack45
04-29-2017, 12:43 PM
I'm all in for a couple to see what it does to the 19's grip.
$25....not too shabby.

Crash41984
05-05-2017, 08:35 AM
Late to the party... I have one of the Agency Arms offerings on two different G23's. I was purchasing one of their drop in triggers last winter and bought the magwell just to check it out, and bought a second one soon after. I find them to be an excellent add on. I have no idea if they make my mag changes any faster, probably not, but they definitely enhance my grip and the pistol feels better in my hand. Especially true if you have knocked the finger grooves off.

I've never had an issue with a factory mag with factory floor plates not seating. My one complaint, I had to adjust the foam wedge on my aiwb holsters to stop the bottom edge of the magwell from digging into my hip bone.

OnionsAndDragons
05-05-2017, 08:55 PM
Magpul magwell is super exciting to me.

I finally got w the program and put one of their cases on my [emoji336]. Super happy.

JHC
05-06-2017, 08:29 AM
Magpul magwell is super exciting to me.

I finally got w the program and put one of their cases on my [emoji336]. Super happy.

My understanding from speaking with a MagPul tech at the NRAAM is the Gen 3 version will be available very soon and the Gen 4 this Summer. I was very impressed with them.

The one of each version I saw seemed very well fitted to my senses. You can flex them slightly if pressed. I look forward to trying one out.

They are a highly disruptive company. ;)

OnionsAndDragons
05-06-2017, 06:10 PM
My understanding from speaking with a MagPul tech at the NRAAM is the Gen 3 version will be available very soon and the Gen 4 this Summer. I was very impressed with them.

The one of each version I saw seemed very well fitted to my senses. You can flex them slightly if pressed. I look forward to trying one out.

They are a highly disruptive company. ;)

That's music to my ears as I currently only have Gen3 Glocks. I doubt I'll buy any more as I have my compliment of 17k, 19 and reserve 19 covered. $50 so both of the 19s have flare like my 17k is a steal!

Magpul is one of my favorite companies period, full stop. They build great stuff at super reasonable prices AND they stand by the interests of their customers.

Gater
06-03-2017, 08:55 AM
Not sure if someone mentioned this already, but like the Gen 3 full size is available on Magpul's website now--per their FB site:

NOW SHIPPING !
Protect yourself from Slowing Reload Disorder (SRD) with the Magpul GL Enhanced Magazine Well: a high-performance, purpose built Glock frame magazine well designed to enhance magazine insertion while providing excellent concealment. Fits Gen 3 versions of the G17, G17L, G22, G24, G31, G34, G35, G37. Other fitments shipping late summer.

LittleLebowski
06-03-2017, 10:01 AM
Not sure if someone mentioned this already, but like the Gen 3 full size is available on Magpul's website now--per their FB site:

NOW SHIPPING !
Protect yourself from Slowing Reload Disorder (SRD) with the Magpul GL Enhanced Magazine Well: a high-performance, purpose built Glock frame magazine well designed to enhance magazine insertion while providing excellent concealment. Fits Gen 3 versions of the G17, G17L, G22, G24, G31, G34, G35, G37. Other fitments shipping late summer.

https://www.magpul.com/products/firearms-accessories/miscellaneous/gl-enhanced-magazine-well

voodoo_man
06-03-2017, 10:04 AM
Got an email saying my Magpul magwells shipped.

I also just took my zev pro off my gen3 g19. Summer t-shirt carry and that magwell don't seem to work.

HCM
06-03-2017, 01:08 PM
Does anyone have experience with the ALG defense "supersonic Federal" magwell ?

Unlike the original it fits gen 4s and is cut out in the front, almost like a 1911 magwell.

https://algdefense.com/supersonic-gen-4-magwell-federal-with-beavertail.html

walker2713
06-04-2017, 07:32 AM
https://www.magpul.com/products/firearms-accessories/miscellaneous/gl-enhanced-magazine-well

That's GREAT video!

LittleLebowski
06-04-2017, 09:23 AM
I'm in the "don't need a magwell, don't want one for CCW camp", but my Gen4 G17's factory grip is getting dinged up. Looking forward to the Magpul Gen4 magwell.

GuanoLoco
06-04-2017, 09:41 AM
At that price I won't feel as bad about taking a dremel to the side that prints.

martin_j001
06-05-2017, 05:37 AM

Unlike the original it fits gen 4s and is cut out in the front, almost like a 1911 magwell.

I tried one of these on my gen 4 34. No way it was going to conceal for me. It's built exceptionally well, the fit was excellent (took a little messing with to get it right, it's almost too tight a fit), and the added weight was noticeable when shooting. I really wanted it to work out for me, but it didn't. It may conceal better for others or in other configurations, of course, YMMV.

voodoo_man
12-16-2017, 05:23 PM
Gen 3 / gen 4 magwells for the 19s for Glock.

Gen5 19 mag is a little tight, but works.

I'll try to bang out a short and concise comparison of the various magwells I have when I get a chance.

p/Bcx3ebsByGl

Artemas2
12-20-2017, 06:32 PM

Old post I l know. Just want to throw some observations out for future readers now that I have some time using it on my duty/USPSA gun (glock 35)

Pros
brass attachment plug balances a wml and seems to reduce recoil/muzzle rise a bit
helps aid in keeping hands high on the gun
noticeable reduction of fumbled reloads when pushing speed
pairs excellently with 10-8 performance base pads
makes the State Troopers jealous

Cons
big not for concealment (though it can be done)
factory base pads are difficult to rip out if stuck (all my .40 mags now have 10-8 pads)
brass plug illegal for IDPA
attachment screw rusts
large back underside can cause some visual confusion of where the mag entrance is if practice is not maintained.

HCM
12-20-2017, 07:21 PM
This is all that matters:

makes the State Troopers jealous

vandal
12-27-2017, 12:02 AM
Wish I had read the fine print on Magpul's Gen 3 G19 magwell, specifically the part that says it won't work with older generation magazines, which is 95% of what I have. Only newer gen mags will lock in.

JHC
12-27-2017, 07:20 AM
Wish I had read the fine print on Magpul's Gen 3 G19 magwell, specifically the part that says it won't work with older generation magazines, which is 95% of what I have. Only newer gen mags will lock in.

My Gen 3 G17 MagPul magwell fit beautifully and delivered instance purchased skill. After many months of barely any reload practice - BOOM. Quarter second shaved off.

My Gen 3 G19 MagPul magwell does NOT fit my older RTF2 G19 well at all and it's off and boxed up for return to MagPul.

Gater
12-27-2017, 05:47 PM

Thanks for passing that along...was tempted to play with it at the price, but the incompatibility is a no-go.

voodoo_man
12-27-2017, 07:40 PM
While I'm still compiling info for the magwell post one thing is obvious, gen3 Magpul magwell doesn't accept many magazines.

JSGlock34
01-01-2018, 10:25 AM

Not an issue limited to the Magpul magwell; the RCS Freya also has problems with the older magazines. I had posted this in the 19M thread during a magwell digression.

I had an issue with older G19 magazines and the Raven Freya magwell - the magazine body would actually slightly twist when inserted into the pistol, just enough that the base pad would catch on the magwell.

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/n-63unu/uxoc9dc/product_images/uploaded_images/6b141e94-7e5f-4897-a3cd-8b15fb423ca4.jpg?t=1466624338https://www.austereprovisions.com/v/vspfiles/photos/RCS-FMW-19-4-3.jpg

GuanoLoco
01-01-2018, 11:21 AM
Maybe a dumd question: With the Magpul Gen 3/4’s, could you remove protruding material from the front (right side in my case as a right handed shooter) to minimize the printing of the magwell when carryign AIWB, without ruining the magwell or it’s effectiveness?

voodoo_man
01-01-2018, 11:45 AM
Maybe a dumd question: With the Magpul Gen 3/4’s, could you remove protruding material from the front (right side in my case as a right handed shooter) to minimize the printing of the magwell when carryign AIWB, without ruining the magwell or it’s effectiveness?

Sure you can, sorta defeats a little bit of the purpose of the magwell tho...