PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for a new range/target pistol

smellslikevictory
04-03-2016, 09:52 PM
Help me out here guys,
I am looking for a high tier target pistol in 9mm. My first thought was something along the lines of the CZ Tactical Sport Orange or in that price range. I also am certainly not opposed to a 9mm 1911, maybe even a double stack 1911 (I do have small hands however). I have a 75BD and love it, save the trigger, and a Kimber Custom II, also loved, save the price of .45. I understand the CZ is geared more towards competition and I do not compete, however I may want to in the future. I'm looking for a 9mm that is "just a joy to shoot," manages recoil, crisp trigger, accurate, and comfortable (I love the grip of cz 75s, hk p30 and vp9, 1911...), and maybe handfitted? Sorry if that's too vague. Help me out please!

Nephrology
04-03-2016, 10:05 PM
First you have to answer: what competition? What division? The best gun will be decided largely by the answer to the former. USPSA Production - a glock 34 or 17 are hard to beat. IDPA CDP - M&P45 or a nice 1911 is the way I would go there. Limited - STI 2011s in .40 are popular, as are tanfoglios, CZs and even glocks.

So, pick a competition/division first, then go from there.

smellslikevictory
04-03-2016, 10:33 PM
I'm now realizing that I didn't word my question very well. Forget about competition, for now it will only be for punching holes in paper at the local range. But I do like the qualities of a competition gun, thats more along the lines of what I meant. Thanks for the speedy response though!

45dotACP
04-03-2016, 10:35 PM
If you can shoot a CZ-75's double action trigger without feeling like you've dislocated your trigger finger to touch the trigger then you don't have small hands.

Honestly, I'd say the CZ is probably about the best you can do for a production gun and you'll be hard pressed to find a gun that handles recoil better or can be set up with a better trigger. I'd look at getting the trigger worked over and then reevaluate your feelings on the CZ. Probably cheaper than a whole new gat. Though I tend to prefer the Beretta because trying to run the DA trigger on the CZ-75 makes me realize that Czech people must have index fingers the size of hot dogs.

For single stack, your Kimber will probably be fine so long as it runs well. Ammo cost of .45 is just one of those things you deal with when you shoot .45

Honestly, unless you're just looking to buy a new gat, either of those guns should be perfectly fine to get you to a very high level of shooting skill. I'd also think about competing. I started and my desire for shiny new guns was diminished somewhat because chasing shooting performance is more fun. Nice guns are nice, but I tend to think nice shooting is nicer.

TL;DR if you're looking for a quality handgun...you already have one and you're set for pretty much whatever competition. Go do that and if you still want a gun, you'll have a better idea what features you want.

Lomshek
04-03-2016, 10:48 PM
Help me out here guys,
I am looking for a high tier target pistol in 9mm. My first thought was something along the lines of the CZ Tactical Sport Orange or in that price range. I also am certainly not opposed to a 9mm 1911, maybe even a double stack 1911 (I do have small hands however). I have a 75BD and love it, save the trigger, and a Kimber Custom II, also loved, save the price of .45. I understand the CZ is geared more towards competition and I do not compete, however I may want to in the future. I'm looking for a 9mm that is "just a joy to shoot," manages recoil, crisp trigger, accurate, and comfortable (I love the grip of cz 75s, hk p30 and vp9, 1911...), and maybe handfitted? Sorry if that's too vague. Help me out please!

Sounds like you're describing a Wilson Beretta 92. Superb trigger on an already accurate gun made more so. No need to fire it DA unless you want to.

smellslikevictory
04-03-2016, 10:49 PM
I'm just looking to buy a new gat. The CZ was my first and I'd like to leave it untouched. The Kimber was a gift. Also would like it untouched. I sleep with an FNX and not going to mess with that workhorse either so I just want a new, sweet shooting range gun...and already planning on getting the Kadet for the CZ. Thanks for the input however!

smellslikevictory
04-03-2016, 10:55 PM
oh my. ok off to the store to hold a Beretta again.

Hot Sauce
04-03-2016, 10:58 PM
Sounds like you're describing a Wilson Beretta 92. Superb trigger on an already accurate gun made more so. No need to fire it DA unless you want to.

I second this. Although, the DA is smooth as butter, so I don't see why you wouldn't shoot it.

LockedBreech
04-03-2016, 11:08 PM
If you're willing to spend that kind of money, I'd third a Wilson Beretta. Finally got to handle one in person and I can't imagine regretting that. (disclaimer: note my signature line)

pew_pew
04-03-2016, 11:11 PM
Tanfoglio stock 2 with a trigger job by Jim Bodkin. There's a reason CZ's, tanfoglios, and glocks dominate production.

Duelist
04-03-2016, 11:57 PM
Get another CZ set up for target work, or a full size 9mm Range Officer.

LockedBreech
04-04-2016, 12:53 AM
I have read a lot of comments here and there about 9mm 1911s not running as reliably as .45 1911s. Is there any truth to that?

Duelist
04-04-2016, 01:09 AM
I have read a lot of comments here and there about 9mm 1911s not running as reliably as .45 1911s. Is there any truth to that?

i've only seen a few of them in the wild. The full-size RO one of the regulars at our club shoots has always run really well, with impressive accuracy. A good friend has a Commander-size STI that is very, very accurate - but had to make two trips back to the Mothership to run right. Now, it runs as well as anything else.

The geometry of getting the guns to run with the shorter cartridge makes sense that they might have trouble. I've not had one. The CZ75B SA I had while my friend was wrestling with his STI was so boringly reliable, it made him mad because I spent 1/3 the money on it and it just ran, right out of the box. I'm tempted whenever I feel the 1911 bug, but will probably resist.

LockedBreech
04-04-2016, 01:32 AM
i've only seen a few of them in the wild. The full-size RO one of the regulars at our club shoots has always run really well, with impressive accuracy. A good friend has a Commander-size STI that is very, very accurate - but had to make two trips back to the Mothership to run right. Now, it runs as well as anything else.

The geometry of getting the guns to run with the shorter cartridge makes sense that they might have trouble. I've not had one. The CZ75B SA I had while my friend was wrestling with his STI was so boringly reliable, it made him mad because I spent 1/3 the money on it and it just ran, right out of the box. I'm tempted whenever I feel the 1911 bug, but will probably resist.

For the most part I can resist CZ, with one exception: I want a PCR so bad it hurts.

ralph
04-04-2016, 02:28 PM
I stumbled into a NIB PCR, in a trade...what a sweetheart, I made a few changes with a few parts from CGW, and CZ Custom, aĺl in all, I might have $300 in it,( I traded even up) the last thing I did was to get the barrel melonited, I found a place that does it not far from where I live, and does barrels on a regular basis. For a $50 fee, I did'nt feel I could go wrong, they did a excellant job and now the rust resistance of this barrel is probably equal to that of a Glock. But yeah, pick up PCR, IMO, they're diamonds in the rough.

GJM
04-04-2016, 02:35 PM
I would make an offer on Digiroc's Kimber CDP or JHC's 9mm Springfield from Lipsey's.

JBP55
04-04-2016, 02:49 PM
A HK VP9 with trigger work is a good choice for a 9mm range pistol.

flyrodr
04-04-2016, 07:22 PM
I'd have to agree with JBP55. Of the plastic pistols, I really like the VP9. And my trigger was pretty nice out of the box.

But for pure shooting pleasure at the range, an all-steel Government Model in 9mm feels like you're shooting a .22. I bought a Wilson CQB last fall (my first 9mm 1911), and other than my thumb riding the slide lock a few times and preventing the slide locking back, it's been through several thousand rounds without a mishap. And it it VERY accurate. Downside: it's a bit pricy.

RJ
04-04-2016, 08:51 PM
A HK VP9 with trigger work is a good choice for a 9mm range pistol.

Was going to mention the VP9, or, if a 4 lb trigger is ok, a Walther PPQ M2, if OP wants a good reliable polymer 9mm out of the box...or a Sig P320, maybe...

1slow
04-04-2016, 09:46 PM
What about a HK USP Tactical, Expert or Elite. Pick a caliber.

ffhounddog
04-05-2016, 07:13 AM
How about punch holes with a .22lr or a .22mag pistol? Would seem to be a good hole puncher.

gqllc007
04-05-2016, 11:11 AM
I have a Sig Level One X-five in 9mm. It is perfect....costly but perfect...CRAZY accurate...uber reliable.....I can hit 8" plates at 100 yards off hand 8 out of 10 times. the two I miss are my fault. At 25 yards it is amazing

Leroy
04-05-2016, 01:10 PM
Tanfoglio stock 2 with a trigger job by Jim Bodkin. There's a reason CZ's, tanfoglios, and glocks dominate production.
The Stock 2 is crazy accurate, the stock trigger is god awful, you will need a trigger job, don't even bother to shoot it, get the trigger job.

Digiroc
04-13-2016, 07:52 PM
I would make an offer on Digiroc's Kimber CDP or JHC's 9mm Springfield from Lipsey's.

I think I'll keep the Kimber now that it is all sorted out. It's the backup to the Aitlite:

As far as range guns I have a S&W 5906 n 9mm that is economical and fun to shoot and I just added it's big brother the rare and powerful 1006 in 10mm that's a blast to shoot. They both have the exact stock sights and grip angle and width so practice with the 9 transfers to the 10:

Digiroc

RevolverRob
04-13-2016, 10:45 PM
I'm not sure what people are saying here...because it is disturbing. Accurate, hand-fitted, awesome to shoot?

Sig P210
Smith and Wesson 952
Sig P226 X-Five
Custom Browning Hi-Power
CZ Tactical Sport
STI 2011 in 9mm

In that order.

I guarantee you, you will not find a finer handgun to shot than a P210 or a 952.

-Rob

farscott
04-14-2016, 06:25 AM
I'm not sure what people are saying here...because it is disturbing. Accurate, hand-fitted, awesome to shoot?

Sig P210
Smith and Wesson 952
Sig P226 X-Five
Custom Browning Hi-Power
CZ Tactical Sport
STI 2011 in 9mm

In that order.

I guarantee you, you will not find a finer handgun to shot than a P210 or a 952.

-Rob

That is pretty much my list, with a few changes. My version:

1. S&W 952-2
2. David Sams Custom 1911 in 9x19
3. SIG P210
4. SVI 2011 in 9x19
5. Browning Hi-Power by Ted Yost

The S&W 952-2 is first because it is one you can buy off the shelf and easily find magazines, and it gives up nothing to any of the others other than magazine capacity. The others are either custom and/or the magazines are hard to find.

Chuck Haggard
04-14-2016, 07:47 AM
My HK USP .45 Match pistols were stupid accurate out of the box, no work required. Like 2" at the 25 with every jacketed bullet I could load in the gun type accurate.

gkieser92
04-14-2016, 08:17 AM
I have a Sig Level One X-five in 9mm. It is perfect....costly but perfect...CRAZY accurate...uber reliable.....I can hit 8" plates at 100 yards off hand 8 out of 10 times. the two I miss are my fault. At 25 yards it is amazing

Yes I just thought of this. I've always lusted after one of these for some reason.
http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p226-x-six.aspx

It just is different without being stupid.

YVK
04-14-2016, 08:37 AM
Glock 34 MOS. Inexpensive comparing to other options, very soft to shoot, accurate, reliable, great track record, a ton of aftermarket option that you can exercise yourself, you can get a cool stippling later. Tired of shooting irons - put a dot on it, it is a new gun now. CZs and Tanfos are special needs guns comparing to 34.

Digiroc
04-15-2016, 04:24 PM
Here is the range I have setup in my backyard, farthest target out is 50yds:

I was shooting my "new" S&W 1006 out there today and one of the local cops showed up. He liked my 10mm and we compared notes. His service pistol is a Sig 220 in .45 we traded for a few shots and I must say the Sig is nice. Typical .45 recoil but nice trigger and sights for a cop gun. The 10mm recoil is a bit sharper, but the weight of the 1006 soaks up a lot of it.

I shot a 50 round box of FMJ and 20 rounds of Hornay 180 gr XTP's

Digiroc

EDIT: Close up of target just across the bridge with 10mm holes:

Digiroc
04-16-2016, 06:13 PM
That is pretty much my list, with a few changes. My version:

1. S&W 952-2
2. David Sams Custom 1911 in 9x19
3. SIG P210
4. SVI 2011 in 9x19
5. Browning Hi-Power by Ted Yost

The S&W 952-2 is first because it is one you can buy off the shelf and easily find magazines, and it gives up nothing to any of the others other than magazine capacity. The others are either custom and/or the magazines are hard to find.

And it came with a really nice locking metal case:

If I find one of these I'll buy it for my growing S&W collection

Digiroc

1986s4
04-16-2016, 06:34 PM
All of my Smith revolvers are extremely accurate with the right loads.