PDA

View Full Version : First "serious use" revolver

Kirk
04-03-2016, 06:18 PM
Hey,

I'm currently looking for my first "serious use" revolver. I used to train constantly and compete regularly in USPSA, but am currently on a 1 year layoff from any serious shooting. For some reason, revolvers have really caught my eye since I purchased a J-frame 3 months ago, and has definitely re-kindled some serious interest in shooting again. I think I needed a new, fun challenge. Anyway, I'm looking for a solid revolver that I can -

1) Compete with in USPSA and Steel Challenge.

2) Carry (AIWB).

3) Shoot very accurately (I love group shooting).

4) Shoot a lot and dry fire a lot (up to 25,000 rounds in a year and 30-90 min of daily dry fire).

I know everyone in USPSA seem to be running the 8 shot 627/969/etc, but most of the ones that I have found would be very difficult to carry. I don't really want anything over 4". I REALLY like the looks of the Ruger GP100 Match Champion and the GP100 Wiley Clapp; however, they are 6 shot and not cut for moon clips. I also like that Wilson has a spring kit for the GP100. I have spotted a SW 686+ 2" PC that I like A LOT, would be perfect for carry, is 7 shots, and is cut for moon clips... however; I don't know if a 2" barrel would make a massive difference or not in recoil and accuracy. I've also found a great deal on a SW 28-3, and I like it just because of the history and because of the look of it (dumb reason to buy a gun ;)). I guess I'm leaning towards the Match Champion and have an AIWB holster made. I'm not looking for the gun to make up for a lack of training, so I realize that accomplishing a gun I can carry effectively and compete with may not exactly go hand in hand. I have no problem (attempting) to out train the majority of shooters at a match, but I'd like the gun to be semi-competitive. I may be missing out on a lot of excellent options just because I'm very new to revolvers.

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated! May be a dumb thread, not sure, but I have a lot to learn about revolvers.

BillSWPA
04-03-2016, 07:31 PM
My first thought is that you are asking a lot out of a revolver. While a full size semiauto can often be easily concealed, anything larger than a small frame .38, or at the absolute outside a K-frame S&W, becomes difficult to conceal. Not only does the size of the frame and cylindrical create difficulty, but finding holsters that sit sufficiently low on the belt to keep the grip from sticking out is often not easy.

With the above in mind, the nicest revolver I ever shot was a S&W custom shop fixed sight L-frame .357 magnum with a 3 inch barrel, Green-T finish on most of the gun and Black-T finish on the cylinder. The cylinder held 7 rounds. Since an L-frame can use K-frame grips, this gun had Hogue Bantam grips, which I thought would considerably enhance concealabty without sacrificing control or comfort.

When I shot this gun, I fired one cylinder full at 50 feet, shooting double action with 2 hands. All 7 rounds went very close to point of aim, into a group I could have easily covered with my fist.

This revolver is the only one a I have ever seen that I think would make a good choice for both concealed carry and competition.

BehindBlueI's
04-03-2016, 07:58 PM
You can always have a gun cut for moon clips. http://www.tkcustom.com/ for example. I don't shoot competition or carry AIWB, so I'll just say I find the Wiley Clapp GP100 very easy to carry, accurate enough to keep 6 in a credit card sized box at 25y freehand, and is comfortable to shoot with most loads. The Match Champion is a nice gun as well, but bulkier and harder to conceal.

Whirlwind06
04-03-2016, 08:13 PM
Another option might be the S&W 66 that is out now. Hard to go wrong with a 4 inch K frame.

SLG
04-03-2016, 08:47 PM
I can't really speak to effective competition with a revolver in USPSA or Steel Challenge. When I shoot a revolver in competition, its because I want tos hoot that revolver, not because I think it will be particularly competitive. Seems to work out better that way.

OTOH, I can conceal an N frame just fine, and is probably what i would choose if I was in your situation. When I do that, it's usually a 24/29/629, but in your case, a 627 would likely be my choice. Possibly a 625. Depends on the competition side of things.

Stumpnav
04-03-2016, 08:56 PM
How are you concealing the N frames?

RevolverRob
04-03-2016, 09:06 PM
If you want to compete and be competitive, 627. If you want to compete and have fun, 627.

If you want a gun that will do everything you're asking for and still be fun? Ruger GP100 Match Champion with fixed sights.

Moonclips aren't everything they are cracked up to be. Safariland Comp IIIs will get you through matches just fine and use Comp IIs for CC.

-Rob

SLG
04-03-2016, 09:09 PM
Used to use a Milt Sparks SS or a 5 Shot IWB. Now waiting on a new 5 Shot IWB that has a better cant for me.

Rechecked the OP, and did indeed see the aiwb stipulation. Overlooked it when responding the first time. I have not tried an N frame aiwb, but may have to get a holster to do that with now. I usually carry a 5" N frame, so that is likely too long for me for aiwb, but you don't know till you try.

45dotACP
04-03-2016, 09:11 PM
A competitive revolver is typically not very concealable...a concealable revolver won't be competitive. I'd say get a 3" K frame with a round butt, compete in IDPA and maybe steel challenge. Carrying the required ammo for a 32 round field course all in speedloaders takes up real estate on your belt...a lot of real estate. But wheelguns are fun as hell :)

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

Lost River
04-03-2016, 09:11 PM
I am not SLG, but as far as concealing an N Frame, if you have a good rigid belt and a well built holster, it is not too tough. I have spent who knows how many days with a 4" or 5" N Frame in a 200AW under a light or heavy jacket.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/Handguns/012-5.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/Handguns/012-5.jpg.html)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/015.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/015.jpg.html)

Dagga Boy
04-03-2016, 09:13 PM
My first thought is that you are asking a lot out of a revolver. While a full size semiauto can often be easily concealed, anything larger than a small frame .38, or at the absolute outside a K-frame S&W, becomes difficult to conceal. Not only does the size of the frame and cylindrical create difficulty, but finding holsters that sit sufficiently low on the belt to keep the grip from sticking out is often not easy.

With the above in mind, the nicest revolver I ever shot was a S&W custom shop fixed sight L-frame .357 magnum with a 3 inch barrel, Green-T finish on most of the gun and Black-T finish on the cylinder. The cylinder held 7 rounds. Since an L-frame can use K-frame grips, this gun had Hogue Bantam grips, which I thought would considerably enhance concealabty without sacrificing control or comfort.

When I shot this gun, I fired one cylinder full at 50 feet, shooting double action with 2 hands. All 7 rounds went very close to point of aim, into a group I could have easily covered with my fist.

This revolver is the only one a I have ever seen that I think would make a good choice for both concealed carry and competition.

I have one.....it didn't go bang when I bought it unfired for a collector, but Smith fixed it. Neat gun for carry, not sure on competition.

I have a S&W 686 SSR I use for local steel matches. I could easily live with it as a carry gun. For wide open competition....I also got a 627 PC 5". Great gun, likely too big for daily carry. I think your best bet would be a dedicated match gun and a similar action type gun for carry. The Match Champion WC combo would work, or a 627 and a smaller Smith.

Dagga Boy
04-03-2016, 09:14 PM
Used to use a Milt Sparks SS or a 5 Shot IWB. Now waiting on a new 5 Shot IWB that has a better cant for me.

Rechecked the OP, and did indeed see the aiwb stipulation. Overlooked it when responding the first time. I have not tried an N frame aiwb, but may have to get a holster to do that with now. I usually carry a 5" N frame, so that is likely too long for me for aiwb, but you don't know till you try.

I have a home for your old 5 shot rig if it is not working for you...:cool:

SLG
04-03-2016, 09:19 PM
I have a home for your old 5 shot rig if it is not working for you...:cool:

Actually, it was never my rig. A friend was kind enough to loan it to me for a while.

Crusader8207
04-03-2016, 09:28 PM
I just picked up a WC GP100 3" and find it to be an amazing gun. I have a Garrett Industries AIWB holster on order for it.

You can always have a gun cut for moon clips. http://www.tkcustom.com/ for example. I don't shoot competition or carry AIWB, so I'll just say I find the Wiley Clapp GP100 very easy to carry, accurate enough to keep 6 in a credit card sized box at 25y freehand, and is comfortable to shoot with most loads. The Match Champion is a nice gun as well, but bulkier and harder to conceal.

JonInWA
04-04-2016, 12:22 PM
I recommend a Ruger GP100 in any of the iterations you or others in this thread have mentioned. I have a customized GP100 that's still within the defined boundaries if IDPA SSR; I'm primarily running it with Safariland Comp III speedloaders. I'm a little wary of moon clips; if bent, you have some major functionality issues. That's a big deal for me, as my GP is used for both carry and competition.

Best, Jon

Dagga Boy
04-04-2016, 02:41 PM
I recommend a Ruger GP100 in any of the iterations you or others in this thread have mentioned. I have a customized GP100 that's still within the defined boundaries if IDPA SSR; I'm primarily running it with Safariland Comp III speedloaders. I'm a little wary of moon clips; if bent, you have some major functionality issues. That's a big deal for me, as my GP is used for both carry and competition.

Best, Jon

You probably have one of the hen's teeth 5 shot holsters for it as well.....:cool:

JonInWA
04-04-2016, 02:48 PM
You probably have one of the hen's teeth 5 shot holsters for it as well.....:cool:

Nah-a Kramer IWB horsehide for concealed carry and IDPA, a Bianchi 84R flap holster for field carry-appreciated the assumption, though.

For the Comp III speedloaders, I've found that Tactical Tailor's AR15 magazine pouches (with the retaining bungee cord removed) actually make a quite decent Comp III speedloader pouch.

For carry, I usually have 2-3 Bianchi Speed Strips in belt pouches, with a compact speedloader (Comp II or HKS) carried loose in an accessible pocket.

Best, Jon

Kirk
04-04-2016, 03:13 PM
Looks like I'm going GP100 WC for carry + GP100 MC for games. I'm going to do as suggested and focus on Steel Challenge, I'm a better hoser anyway.

Who else makes a quality AIWB for the GP100? Currently looking at Fist and Kramer, but rock Dark Star for all of my autos

BillSWPA
04-04-2016, 03:47 PM
Since I don't carry AIWB, I can only offer limited advice. However, I have found that:

Kramer and many other leather IWB holsters add significant thickness to the total thickness that must be hidden.

Kydex is the best way I have found to have rigidity and thinness.

Tom of Dark Star has given serious thought to AIWB, although I am not in a position to comment on how well it works.

JonInWA
04-04-2016, 04:00 PM
Looks like I'm going GP100 WC for carry + GP100 MC for games. I'm going to do as suggested and focus on Steel Challenge, I'm a better hoser anyway.

Who else makes a quality AIWB for the GP100? Currently looking at Fist and Kramer, but rock Dark Star for all of my autos

Although I'm using a Kramer, and have for years, I think I'd recommend going the kydex route. My Kramer, while beautifully made and comfortable to carry, has had the sweat shield develop a bit of floppiness (for lack of a better term) over the years, which can be a bit of a hindrance to re-holstering; Kramer re-stiffened it for me once a couple of years ago, and I probably need to have it done again, but with kydex you shouldn't have it as an issue at all.

Part of my preference for horsehide (and Kramer) for my GP100 is that it has a magnificent custom blueing job, and the horsehide is much easier on the finish than kydex would likely be.

If your WC GP100 is the stainless one (and your MC will be by definition), that should be a non-issue for you.

Best, Jon

Whirlwind06
04-04-2016, 04:29 PM
JM custom lists the GP for his holsters.

Crusader8207
04-04-2016, 08:02 PM

I use JM Custom for my HKs and have two on order for some 1911s. Tony does an amazing job.

When I got the Wiley Clapp it came with a Garrett Industries Silent Thunder OWB holster. What is nice about them is it is a leather lined kydex holster, so kind of best of both worlds. I just placed the order for the AIWB revolver holster last week and should have it this week.

That Guy
04-05-2016, 04:14 PM
Kydex is the best way I have found to have rigidity and thinness.

Kydex holsters for revolvers are also really, really difficult to find. :(

JonInWA
04-06-2016, 12:00 PM
Kydex holsters for revolvers are also really, really difficult to find. :(

Not in my experience-Blade-Tech, for example has made them for years,and easily came up with a very nice IWB for my 4" Security Six, and I assume their capabilities are pretty broad for other platforms.

Best, Jon

That Guy
04-06-2016, 01:13 PM
For some reason Blade-Tech seems to never make the holsters I am interested in, left handed.

JHC
04-06-2016, 01:51 PM
For some reason Blade-Tech seems to never make the holsters I am interested in, left handed.

About a year ago I wasn't sure from the on line options so I called FIST directly and ordered a Model 1K straight drop IWB for a 4" N frame. Straight drop to be used AIWB. It feels and conceals pretty well for what it is. I don't use it much and haven't carried the 629 in it for very long periods once I decided not to take it along on an AK trip anyway. I keep meaning to carry my 4" Model 28 a few days to really see how it works but I'm so OCD I won't leave my Glocks behind. lol

scott
04-07-2016, 09:57 AM
I use jmck for my k frames aiwb and dark star for j frames. Both great holsters

Kirk
04-07-2016, 04:24 PM
I don't see K Frames listed on JMCK page, should I email?

Bought a pristine model 10 from a 70+ year old dude for $350, so I need a holster lol

scott
04-07-2016, 05:46 PM
They aren't on the web page, but he can make them; I've got the George for a 4" model 15. Probably it's polite to email and ask.

1986s4
04-08-2016, 07:32 AM
For "serious use" I like a 3" 6 shooter like my Smith M13. I have competed with it [IDPA SSR] and done well. I liked it so much that I got a very nice Smith 686-2 4" for competition.

deputyG23
04-08-2016, 10:11 AM
For "serious use" I like a 3" 6 shooter like my Smith M13. I have competed with it [IDPA SSR] and done well. I liked it so much that I got a very nice Smith 686-2 4" for competition.
If S&W made a 3" lightweight fixed sight K frame RB .38/.357 sixgun these days, I would sell some combat Tupperware and buy at least two.

Whiskey_Bravo
04-08-2016, 12:47 PM
If S&W made a 3" lightweight fixed sight K frame RB .38/.357 sixgun these days, I would sell some combat Tupperware and buy at least two.

Night Guard? Of the 327 variety?

jh9
04-08-2016, 12:51 PM
Night Guard? Of the 327 variety?

They made a 315? None on gunbroker right now, though.

Totem Polar
04-08-2016, 01:37 PM

As others have noted, it's far past time for a modern model 12 reissue that uses today's metallurgy and splits the original 12's difference by fitting a 3" tube. Add 640 Pro sights and omit the lock, and it's good enough for me.

Chuck Whitlock
04-08-2016, 04:25 PM
As others have noted, it's far past time for a modern model 12 reissue that uses today's metallurgy and splits the original 12's difference by fitting a 3" tube. Add 640 Pro sights and omit the lock, and it's good enough for me.

The 3" LCRx is damn close, except being a 5-shooter instead of a 6-shooter.

http://ruger.com/products/lcrx/specSheets/5431.html

Tony Mayer
04-09-2016, 09:45 PM
I don't see K Frames listed on JMCK page, should I email?

Bought a pristine model 10 from a 70+ year old dude for $350, so I need a holster lol

Kirk, yes. Email me at sales@jmcustomkydex.com

Thanks

S Jenks
04-09-2016, 11:02 PM
^^
+1 for Tony's AIWB offerings for revolvers. I purchased one a while back for my GP100 WC and couldn't be happier. The revolver's grip absolutely disappears under a t-shirt. The positioning of the belt clips really help to tuck the grip.

It's so comfortable/concealable I've made it my "Ban-state gun" when I visit relatives in CT and MD.

1986s4
04-10-2016, 05:23 PM

I would get at least one. Put some nice fixed sights on it too Smith!

Lon
04-10-2016, 07:38 PM
My dream revolver is a 3" Night Guard 315.

Digiroc
04-11-2016, 09:01 PM
My first revolver was for serious work and it was a Colt Detective Special. I practiced with primer fired plastic bullets in my Mom's basement. Do they still make those? Might make my AirLite fun to shoot.

Digiroc

1slow
04-11-2016, 10:39 PM
Circa 1975, I had some of those, found out they would shoot through a bath towel and into a pillow !

scott
04-11-2016, 11:48 PM
They sure do make them. Never seen them in a brick and mortar, though.

projectiles:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/315781/speer-plastic-bullets-38-caliber-357-to-358-diameter-box-of-50

cases:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/211008/speer-plastic-cases-38-caliber-box-of-50

jh9
04-12-2016, 05:46 AM
Circa 1975, I had some of those, found out they would shoot through a bath towel and into a pillow !

They can make it through the outer skin of a couch cushion from 20 feet, too. :eek:

Also the rim on the box I got was too fat to fit in a lee hand priming tool, so repriming meant knocking the old one out with a decapping pin (don't think it fit the shellholder either? memory's fuzzy) or nail or whatever then pushing the case onto the primer instead using a tool. I was squeamish about that so never reloaded the box after we shot them up.

FotoTomas
04-16-2016, 02:52 AM
The older Smith and Wesson model 19 is my favorite serious belt carry piece and competition revolver. Works well as a working/trail revolver too. My 4" is a 19-5 and the 2.5" is a P&Rd-4. I have a custom IWB kydex for the 2.5 and a Safariland OWB for the 4" model. They give me the power of a .357 if needed and a plethora of ammo options for practice to competition, defensive use and hunting. Wax bullets with special cases and only primers are a blast for occasional plinking in the garage and yard.

Years ago before I developed my portable, modular, self contained food storage unit,(FAT) I often carried the 2.5 inch models appendix. The 4" tube was a bit much for me when sitting down and was always carried at the 4 o'clock position either IWB or OWB.

I swear by the Safariland Comp III's for competition and have several Comp II's and I's with Safariland split six pouches for carry. Mostly at IDPA matches I reload from my vest pocket. In this modern age I still often carry either my brace of S&W M19's or the pair of Model 10's I have in the safe. Something about old school revolvers that appeal to my geriatric spirit.

deputyG23
04-16-2016, 04:44 AM
This is exactly what I would buy if it were available.