PDA

View Full Version : How much money do you spend on buying a gun every month?

mj888844
04-01-2016, 10:51 PM
I am very curious. I didn't spend any money. Because there is no chance to be able to consume. This life is not possible. Please forgive me if you find it a violation of your privacy.I must rely on translation software , so please use simple English to communicate with me . Thank you。

BillSWPA
04-01-2016, 11:02 PM
I doubt very much that many people buy that many guns.

Guns are in many respects some of the ultimate durable goods. I have guns that are on their second generation, and multiple people here probably own older ones. What is likely purchased every month is ammo to shoot through those guns in training.

ReverendMeat
04-02-2016, 12:23 AM
$0, usually.

SoCalDep
04-02-2016, 12:32 AM
I spend as much as I can.

Important things like family, children, and necessities are first priority, but shooting is a passion, so I do what I can.

I am fortunate to have a stable income and a very understanding and supportive wife, so I think I'm able to dedicate more money than many other people to shooting.

I bought a Beretta M9A1 in September (sold a gun to afford it) and a Sig P239 in February. I ordered a Beretta M9A1 Compact in early March but I don't think it will arrive for several months. In the mean time I sold a few guns and plan to purchase a Beretta 92A1 or another M9A1.

All that said, one person with one gun can become extremely proficient and one thing I've learned is that with decent equipment (but not a race) it's much more about the shooter and skill than it is about the equipment. So don't feel bad about how much is spent... Many people spend thousands but suck.

Maple Syrup Actual
04-02-2016, 12:34 AM
Some months, nothing. Some months, a couple of thousand.

I probably average 3000/year. But it's all tax write-offs and some stuff I sell when I'm done.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

xmanhockey7
04-02-2016, 01:10 AM
It depends. I have recently sold off four guns. 870, G26, S&W 586, and Sig 1911. Granted I took the money I made from them towards a Nighthawk. I used to be into just buying Glocks or other sub $1,000 and having several. Now, I basically know what I like and instead of having several stock guns, I have a few customized guns. My G19 has been done up by SMB and ATEi. Shield has been done up by SMB. Right now I'm attempting to focus my money on ammo and classes. Ammo even more so because I've done a lot of classes and need to get more practice in.

The Apprentice
04-02-2016, 05:13 AM
More than I should last year I was close to six grand

ffhounddog
04-02-2016, 06:22 AM
Ammo and mags are on a family budget. Mostly none, but sold a lot of my guns I bought during my Divorce and partying like a teenager after that when all I had to think about is me.

My wife and I have 5.56, 40s&w, and 9mm guns that are identical to our duty guns. The only 3 guns on the list is a HK vp9sk (if it ever comes out), Threaded Rugger 10/22, and a threaded .22lr pistol.

At a different part of my life I would be saying I spend alot, now i am like "meh" on guns just for the sake of em. Guns with some class though, that me start thinking about another one because its classy, but now I have to think about the kids.

LockedBreech
04-02-2016, 12:52 PM
For me, one to three hundred dollars a month is probably a fair average for the year if you include new guns, ammunition, holsters, lights, and accessories. Like a previous poster, it is a passion, not a need, and I have no children or wife.

Drang
04-02-2016, 01:06 PM
Personally, I might buy a new gun every year. Every two or three years is more likely, and even that is only if I identify a need or use for a new one. (I.e., I take up a sport, or convince tthe wife she needs something different.)

Very few of us buy a new gun every month.

Those who do are probably conducting evaluations and want to buy one, rather than borrow one from a manufacturer, to ensure they get a piece that has not been hand-selected or "tuned."

Buying a new gun entails other expenses, such as holsters, perhaps cleaning or maintenance supplies related to the gun, additional magazines, and so forth.

Once a gun and the "support" equipment is purchased, the regular ongoing expense is ammunition, as has been noted. A lot of us do like to try the latest and greatest time-saving devices, though, and most of us have collections of cleaning equipment, magazine loaders, holsters, and so forth.

However, it would be a mistake to assume that the members of this site are representative of all American gun owners. Most hunters will only take their rifle out when preparing for, and during, deer season, for example, and clean it afterward. They buy very little ammo. The little old lady who keeps a revolver in her hi==nightstand for protection probably never goes to the range at all, and only has the one box of bullets she bought when she got the gun.

mj888844, may I suggest you quote posts with terms you are not sure of and highlight those terms, so that we can explain them? It occurs to me that there is a lot of jargon used on firearms which may be unfamiliar to the speaker/reader of English as a second language.

Josh Runkle
04-02-2016, 02:48 PM
You're not going to get an accurate sample of the population of this website.

People who spend a lot on their legal, personal hobby won't want to make themselves targets for criminals or targets for investigation.

The only answers you will end up getting will be from people who don't relatively spend that much.

Cookie Monster
04-02-2016, 02:55 PM
I very much like the questions from China. Very little money every month. Bought new rifle last year, very good rifle with light and scope lots and lots of money in one month.

Next year, I buy second Glocks of the Glocks I carry with me, a 17, 26, and 42. I save, plan to buy three guns one month.

Some spend lot more than me, some spend lot less. Lots of people have no guns, some have few guns, and some have lots and lots of guns.

Hauptmann
04-02-2016, 03:06 PM
I will try to keep my sentences simple for the translating program. Purchasing firearms and ammunition gets expensive very quick. I may pay $700 for a pistol, but I will also have to purchase additional magazines, accessories, and ammunition. Ammunition will usually cost as much as the firearm annually. So, I usually purchase one firearm per year.......maybe two at most and then sell off an old firearm. I purchase firearms with the intent that they last me for decades, so I am careful with those purchases.

I also like knives and other related gear, so I have to budget for that too.

Nephrology
04-02-2016, 04:40 PM
Likewise the majority of my expenses are ammunition and other items that allow me to shoot. Magazines, range fees, mag pouches, holsters, new sights, etc. I bought 3 new guns in the last ~12 months but that is an anomaly. Before that I bought 0 guns in the 2 years prior - only ammo.

Bigghoss
04-02-2016, 07:01 PM
Last month was $750 or so. Most months it's $0. I have about 50 guns but most of them are really inexpensive.

john c
04-02-2016, 07:31 PM
Less than I want, but more than I should.

;)

Luke
04-02-2016, 07:36 PM
In China you are restricted from buying guns by your government. Where I am, I am restricted from buying guns by my bank account.

mj888844
04-02-2016, 09:22 PM
Personally, I might buy a new gun every year. Every two or three years is more likely, and even that is only if I identify a need or use for a new one. (I.e., I take up a sport, or convince tthe wife she needs something different.)

Very few of us buy a new gun every month.

Those who do are probably conducting evaluations and want to buy one, rather than borrow one from a manufacturer, to ensure they get a piece that has not been hand-selected or "tuned."

Buying a new gun entails other expenses, such as holsters, perhaps cleaning or maintenance supplies related to the gun, additional magazines, and so forth.

Once a gun and the "support" equipment is purchased, the regular ongoing expense is ammunition, as has been noted. A lot of us do like to try the latest and greatest time-saving devices, though, and most of us have collections of cleaning equipment, magazine loaders, holsters, and so forth.

However, it would be a mistake to assume that the members of this site are representative of all American gun owners. Most hunters will only take their rifle out when preparing for, and during, deer season, for example, and clean it afterward. They buy very little ammo. The little old lady who keeps a revolver in her hi==nightstand for protection probably never goes to the range at all, and only has the one box of bullets she bought when she got the gun.

mj888844, may I suggest you quote posts with terms you are not sure of and highlight those terms, so that we can explain them? It occurs to me that there is a lot of jargon used on firearms which may be unfamiliar to the speaker/reader of English as a second language.

-----thank you for your suggestion. but it's no use. Because I am in China. Although I also want to buy a pistol. Because I am a firearms enthusiast. But for me, just a beautiful dream Bale. Thanks again. Bless all friends here.

gringop
04-03-2016, 12:01 AM
At this time in my life, probably an average of $400 every 3 years. Because the gun safe is full, and I have not yet rationalized suppressors. (Do not ask about NV and thermal...)

Gringop (I am just a poor boy. Though my story's seldom told...) A Simon & Garfunkel song.

gkieser92
04-03-2016, 01:33 AM
I buy a new gun about every 2 years. I really like boring guns. My only two centerfire pistols are a G22 and a G27 that I bought in '01 as duty pistols. I have a Mossberg 500 I bought at the same time for the same purpose. Those are my only serious guns. I have a small assortment of basic .22s and a hunting rifle for fun. My only gun splurge is is a Garand from CMP. I spend my money on ammo and knowledge.

Dagga Boy
04-03-2016, 05:00 PM
Guns scare me and violence is a tool of the ignorant. I have donated money to good causes and to world peace instead.

Mr_White
04-03-2016, 05:18 PM
I am very curious. I didn't spend any money. Because there is no chance to be able to consume. This life is not possible. Please forgive me if you find it a violation of your privacy.I must rely on translation software , so please use simple English to communicate with me . Thank you。

For a long time now, pretty much $0. I like to buy guns but I like shooting and practicing with them even more.

OnionsAndDragons
04-03-2016, 05:38 PM
More often than not at this point, buying a gun is to replace one I'm not happy with or doesn't fit a role I care about. The replaced gun is then sold to defer the cost of the new one.

Example: I didn't like the way the p320 carried for me, so I sold it and replaced it with a backup Glock 19.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk