PDA

View Full Version : Night sight advice for a Sig P229

Hauptmann
04-01-2016, 06:17 PM
I've been using a Sig P226 with Trijicon HDs for a couple of years now. I love how bright and fast I am able to find the front sight. However, in the shorter sight radius of the P228/P229 I find it harder to get any decent precision at 25yrds or more. I am moving to a railed P229 .40 for duty use, and I am trying to find an alternative to the Trijicon HDs that will give me a more narrow front and rear sight. Prior to using the HDs, and used the Heinie straight eights in a Sig P228 9mm and this sight gave me that desired precision. With these sights it wasn't hard to hit targets at 50yrds or more. However, the Heinies didn't have much on that front sight to give it high visibility, and in low light it was much harder to track that front sight.

So, I'm trying to find some night sights for a Sig P229 .40 that will give me front sight visibility closer to the Trijicon HDs, but will also give me precision closer to that of Heinie straight-eights. Any suggestions?

spinmove_
04-01-2016, 06:34 PM
I've been using a Sig P226 with Trijicon HDs for a couple of years now. I love how bright and fast I am able to find the front sight. However, in the shorter sight radius of the P228/P229 I find it harder to get any decent precision at 25yrds or more. I am moving to a railed P229 .40 for duty use, and I am trying to find an alternative to the Trijicon HDs that will give me a more narrow front and rear sight. Prior to using the HDs, and used the Heinie straight eights in a Sig P228 9mm and this sight gave me that desired precision. With these sights it wasn't hard to hit targets at 50yrds or more. However, the Heinies didn't have much on that front sight to give it high visibility, and in low light it was much harder to track that front sight.

So, I'm trying to find some night sights for a Sig P229 .40 that will give me front sight visibility closer to the Trijicon HDs, but will also give me precision closer to that of Heinie straight-eights. Any suggestions?

Sounds like you need to pick up a set of Heinie Straight 8s and toss some bright paint on that front sight. There are several people around here that have done it to positive results. Given that you're able to do what you know you need to do with them, I'd say that's probably your best bet.

Hauptmann
04-01-2016, 06:56 PM
Sounds like you need to pick up a set of Heinie Straight 8s and toss some bright paint on that front sight. There are several people around here that have done it to positive results. Given that you're able to do what you know you need to do with them, I'd say that's probably your best bet.

I tried that with a brand of sight paint(can't remember the name), and it wouldn't stick.

Lon
04-01-2016, 07:10 PM
Model paint has worked well for me. Tom Givens recommends automotive touch up paint from Walmart, IIRC. Nissan red, maybe?

UNK
04-01-2016, 08:03 PM
This guy does an awesome job with Dayglo paint. http://tjscustomgunworks.com/TJ_LI$T.HTM

HCM
04-01-2016, 09:03 PM
I tried that with a brand of sight paint(can't remember the name), and it wouldn't stick.

Dis you de-grease the sight ? put down a coat of white first ?

I've been using nail polish. Degrease, a coat of white then two coats of "hot Tamale" Orange.

LSP552
04-01-2016, 09:51 PM

I liked the Heinies, but my eyes changed to the point that the HDs or Ameriglo ProGlos are my only choice. I didn't have a problem with the paint staying on the Heinies, I just couldn't find a paint that worked as well as the HDs. Good luck in finding the right compromise.