PDA

View Full Version : What's so hard doing about felony stops?

pablo
04-01-2016, 05:31 PM
Or sometimes I really surprised more cops don't killed in the line of duty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUkWUd9KDO4

Go to 2:00 if you want to get to the theatrics. No Felony stop, cops running up to car, multiple levels of cross fire, multiple cops almost getting run over, K9 attacking another K9, handlers not handling their dogs.

I know it's easy to get caught it up in the moment, but this worked out due to just pure dumb luck.

jnc36rcpd
04-01-2016, 06:03 PM
On a positive note, the officers did conduct a PERF-recommended huddle later in the video.

SeriousStudent
04-01-2016, 06:11 PM
I remember having fewer people in a high school football huddle.

Wowsers.

KeeFus
04-01-2016, 06:59 PM
Anyone notice the cat getting the hell outta Dodge? Lol.

Long day...and Iam easily entertained at the moment. Really liked that huddle at the end.

Jay585
04-01-2016, 06:59 PM
God damn, that part where dog #2 is chewing up dog #1. I'm surprised that the dog didn't differentiate between human and dog. Is that typical, or...?

pablo
04-01-2016, 07:01 PM
On a positive note, the officers did conduct a PERF-recommended huddle later in the video.

In those group discussion you got to be really careful about that guy comes over the top with his flashlight.........

voodoo_man
04-01-2016, 07:23 PM
ROFL!

GNiner
04-01-2016, 07:28 PM
Was that every cop car in Miami lined up down the street(s) at the end of the video?

pablo
04-01-2016, 07:36 PM
Was that every cop car in Miami lined up down the street(s) at the end of the video?

There's going to be so many days off handed out that the department is going to have to stagger the suspensions to avoid manpower shortages. Someone is getting a summer vacation, he just doesn't know it yet.

voodoo_man
04-01-2016, 07:51 PM
Just to add, we have (recently) switched our pursuit policy to TWO vehicles ONLY in pursuit and others can parallel if needed.

We do that pretty well, although there is always one guy that doesn't care and jumps in the mix.

Also, that whole dog on dog thing is why we don't have two dogs at one scene...

Dagga Boy
04-01-2016, 08:07 PM
That stuff actually pisses me off to no end. The first people getting days off are staff, the on scene supervisor who obviously was not able to and almost everyone there. The job is dangerous enough without total lack of an iota of discipline creating the hazards.

One thing I learned VERY early through the discipline process was if you were not one of the primary cars in a pursuit and close enough to effectively parallel, the best thing you could do was roll center city and make yourself available for hot calls knowing there is a shortage of manpower. It is amazing.....all this modern communications and nobody can form a take down plan.....total amateur hour.

Lon
04-01-2016, 08:20 PM
Amateur hour. I'm really surprised nobody smoked him when he got back in and started backing up. Love the huddle. :(

I agree with nyeti. Total lack of supervision.

pablo
04-01-2016, 08:26 PM
all this modern communications and nobody can form a take down plan.....total amateur hour.

I don't chase anymore and not because it's almost impossible to do within policy. Since we've come up with a super restrictive violent felony only chase policy, we have a handful of chases a year, it really is an overwhelming experience for a lot of officers. The guys doing the chasing will get on the radio and by the way they are screaming, we'd think they were being chased by a hungry bear.

I'm not surprised, take away the experience and learning opportunities, provide no training and immerse officers in a high stress situation and get shitty outcome.

The only two cops out that were in control, were the two that ripped the suspect out of the pig pile and tried to stuff him in a car, so that everyone else would try not to get their licks in.

tanner
04-01-2016, 08:39 PM
I'm no technical wizard, but start watching this at around the 12:30 mark. These dudes know what they are doing. I showed this one to my guys at roll call as an excellent example.

http://youtu.be/kBgpnE2zHV4

Chuck Haggard
04-01-2016, 09:34 PM
The guys doing the chasing will get on the radio and by the way they are screaming, we'd think they were being chased by a hungry bear.

Our guys quickly learned that I would terminate a chase immediately if the chase officer sounded too spun up. The guys who got on the radio and sounded like an airline pilot making announcements were the guys I let chase.

If you can't control yourself you can't control the situation.

If I was the watch commander for troops in that video I'd give every single one of them days off, and seriously think about busting any supervisors back a rank.

Lester Polfus
04-01-2016, 09:42 PM
This thread demonstrates one of the fundamental problems with how we talk about policing in this country: the fact that we talk about "The Cops" like they were one giant, homogeneous entity.

You can show this to cops from one jurisdiction and they wouldn't see the problem. You can show it to some of the folks on this forum, and folks from departments that are at least semi-squared away, and they start talking about giving people days off.

I don't think outsiders looking in realize that.

Chuck Haggard
04-01-2016, 09:48 PM
This thread demonstrates one of the fundamental problems with how we talk about policing in this country: the fact that we talk about "The Cops" like they were one giant, homogeneous entity.

You can show this to cops from one jurisdiction and they wouldn't see the problem. You can show it to some of the folks on this forum, and folks from departments that are at least semi-squared away, and they start talking about giving people days off.

I don't think outsiders looking in realize that.

It's almost like Newhall never even happened....................

FNFAN
04-01-2016, 09:50 PM
My favorite is when folks start screaming commands out using the radio mic instead of the p.a. Oopsie!

MD7305
04-01-2016, 09:52 PM
The two officers that almost got pinched between the suspect's car, the fence and the SUV....holy smokes, that was a close one. I don't mean to Monday Morning QB but that dual-weilding Taser/Pistol guy, yikes! We don't have K-9s but I've never considered K-9s attacking each other, that was incredible. When I watch these videos it amazes me because with every deputy, officer, trooper, game warden, Marshal, agent, desk rider, animal control, etc. available in my county on dayshift wouldn't even touch the resources there!

Dave Williams
04-02-2016, 08:04 AM
I don't mmqb but what a bunch of retards!

Chuck Haggard
04-02-2016, 08:44 AM
I don't mmqb but what a bunch of retards!

Valid AARs and "MMQB" are not the same thing, in any way.

LittleLebowski
04-02-2016, 08:51 AM
I would like to voice my approval of the dumpster crash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWtesJrLSNA

fixer
04-02-2016, 10:54 AM
wow. That was horrible. That was a lot of triggers, barrels, and fingers, and confusion all rolled up in to one small space.

LookMomNoLegs
04-02-2016, 11:26 AM
Looked to me like they all covered him right when he got on the ground so the guy on the bottom could beat the hell out of him. It also looks like every friggin cop in Miami responded! Did anyone get a chance to count the cop cars?

pablo
04-02-2016, 12:30 PM
Here's the link to the news article.

http://www.local10.com/news/miami-police-chase

That guy hit the ghetto lottery jackpot. The K9 attacking him after he had surrendered looks accidental but with the group hug that followed, good luck spinning that story. He's going to get paid.

I don't know what his felony charges were for but he's got a pass on a lot of criminal activity thanks to a little street justice. According to the news he struck two officers with a car, which might explain some of the emotions. If he legitimately went out of his way to hit the officers and it's not just two idiots running in front of a speeding car, he's going to get a pass. He's going to get a slap on the wrist for the evading. If there were any charges for getting back in the car and reversing he's going to get a free pass, the dog might have been an accident, but the circle jerk wasn't. There's no way the DA could find 12 jurors where at least one couldn't be convinced that this guy was reasonably in fear of his life and safety, and justifiably running from out of control cops.

The chief looks none too happy, Miami just entered into an agreement with the DOJ to reform UOF practices and this happens.

Hauptmann
04-02-2016, 02:27 PM
Definitely a cluster. Things looked like they really went to s**t when the bite dog went after him while he had his hands up, and then he decided to run again. Then the other bite dog started attacking the other dog........ Officers can barely hold their cool in such situations, let alone a dog.

Dr. No
04-02-2016, 02:43 PM
I'm no technical wizard, but start watching this at around the 12:30 mark. These dudes know what they are doing. I showed this one to my guys at roll call as an excellent example.

Those pros there are LAPD D Platoon. They just happened to be training in the area and were able to get up on the pursuit at the end. I also show that one - they had so many options, disciplined guys who held their sectors, and excellent C&C. That's a tight knit team.

Hambo
04-02-2016, 02:52 PM
That was awful.

Dagga Boy
04-02-2016, 03:24 PM
Those pros there are LAPD D Platoon. They just happened to be training in the area and were able to get up on the pursuit at the end. I also show that one - they had so many options, disciplined guys who held their sectors, and excellent C&C. That's a tight knit team.

What is very impressive are the SIS car jams. They are literally doing a Multi car controls crash from multiple sides and they maintain total emotional control and discipline.....on crooks who are usually all armed, wearing armor and fresh of a robbery.

iheartglock
04-02-2016, 04:03 PM

As an outsider knowing nothing of the tactics/training for these situations, the control these guys showed was impressive. Cool, calm, and collected!

Side note: I can't be the only one that was hoping the guy would make a run for it so the Mal could get in on the action....

Dagga Boy
04-02-2016, 04:55 PM
"They used incredible restraint, because when that subject put that car in reverse, they could've easily shot him and they took into consideration that right behind them was a restaurant with people dining, and those are the split second decisions we need to make as police officers," Miami Fraternal Order of Police President Javier Ortiz said.

And this right here is the problem. Are you f-ing kidding me. If you folks think that was incredible restraint I don't know what it would take to be an unmitigated clusterfuck. The public see's this crap, knows FAR less than people who have and do do this job everyday and you are telling them this is "restraint" and wonder why you have DOJ living in your rectum. Want to do your officers a favor, how about this statement....."What you saw today was what happens when city politicians and LE management lower hiring standards, place on-going relevant and high quality training on the bottom of the list for priority in budgeting, and when officers resort to responding from pure emotion and fear rather than solid training. Also, the lack of leadership and quality supervision were apparent here as well and should be a lesson about promoting people based on trying to create an appearance of diversity rather than based on their ability to control officers through example and experience. Hopefully; the public will demand greater training for our officers in actual proper use of force, firearms, driving and defensive tactics to avoid further incidents like this one. We also hope the department will realize that we are wasting valuable training time with feel good cultural awareness and diversity training that has no relevance to how officers are responding to dangerous high stress incidents. It is our hope that the officials elected to positions of authority in this city will take seriously the true task of leadership that is providing the public with exceptionally well-trained and disciplined professional police officers, rather than issuing sound bites and crossing their fingers that nothing serious happens."

Cookie Monster
04-02-2016, 05:09 PM
Forgive me but I am slow.

On the Miami cluster-stop, was the group hug at the end just in the moment or more planned to shield from helicopter view the felon getting the kitten kicked out of him?

The LAPD had a lot of dudes around the stopped car, I can see how things could go south really fast.

Edwin
04-02-2016, 05:12 PM
That stuff actually pisses me off to no end. The first people getting days off are staff, the on scene supervisor who obviously was not able to and almost everyone there. The job is dangerous enough without total lack of an iota of discipline creating the hazards.

One thing I learned VERY early through the discipline process was if you were not one of the primary cars in a pursuit and close enough to effectively parallel, the best thing you could do was roll center city and make yourself available for hot calls knowing there is a shortage of manpower. It is amazing.....all this modern communications and nobody can form a take down plan.....total amateur hour.

Having lived in Miami for 28 years, that's the most apt description possible.

Lon
04-02-2016, 06:25 PM
On the Miami cluster-stop, was the group hug at the end just in the moment or more planned to shield from helicopter view the felon getting the kitten kicked out of him?

That was my first thought when I saw it. I'd have some guys in my office chewing some ass if I was their boss. It smacks of hiding something from the news choppers, even if they weren't doing anything wrong.

Dagga Boy
04-02-2016, 09:04 PM
I don't know what the Rugby scrum was, but I got the impression everyone wanted a piece. Even in the 80's I never saw anything like that, and pre Rodney King, you ran, you got your ass kicked.....street rules. And before everyone gets hyper, the criminals understood it. By the same token, if a cop laid hands on a guy who gave up when told, or tuned a cuffed prisoner it was the same violation of street rules. Crooks understood the rules and so did officers. Youngsters were trained by the older guys on both sides. It worked well actually. Kept both sides fairly honest.

Erick Gelhaus
04-03-2016, 12:05 PM
The complete lack of supervision, formal or informal, has been mentioned. The senior, by experience, officers need to be developing plans and communicating them if the actual supervisors are not.

We were 2 + a supervisor for quite a while, now we are 3+ a supervisor unless the need for more can be articulated.

The differences in equipment between the videos is obvious, however it does not account for the differences in the outcome. The LAPD video show Metro officers handling the PIT and resolution of the pursuit. Training and experience is the benefit there. These cops are selected (as well as self-selected in just the application process) with experience being a factor and then trained. They all work & train together; unlike most patrol entities.

"We" have to get away from dumping our training to adjust to the BadGuy's expected actions. Either we follow our training or we adjust it to account for the BadGuy's probable actions. We've gotten used to the BadGuys running at the end of the pursuit, so we run up to the car. That takes the K9s out of play because they cannot be released to chase the BadGuy. All of those cops out on foot now create the exigencies that lead to shootings of "un-armed motorists." How many organizations teach, train high-risk vehicle stops and take-downs in a manner anywhere consistent to what played out in the Miami video?

Actual street level (formal & informal) leadership is needed, as is training that is relevant to what we are really encountering, dealing with.

Dr. No
04-03-2016, 12:49 PM
What is very impressive are the SIS car jams. They are literally doing a Multi car controls crash from multiple sides and they maintain total emotional control and discipline.....on crooks who are usually all armed, wearing armor and fresh of a robbery.

Dream job ...

LtDave
04-03-2016, 01:52 PM
I don't know what the Rugby scrum was, but I got the impression everyone wanted a piece. Even in the 80's I never saw anything like that, and pre Rodney King, you ran, you got your ass kicked.....street rules. And before everyone gets hyper, the criminals understood it. By the same token, if a cop laid hands on a guy who gave up when told, or tuned a cuffed prisoner it was the same violation of street rules. Crooks understood the rules and so did officers. Youngsters were trained by the older guys on both sides. It worked well actually. Kept both sides fairly honest.

Back in the early '80's, one of our local crooks managed to start a pursuit with LAPD that went all over east LA. Eventually, dummy must have been running out of gas and decided it would not be a good idea to have LAPD catch him and administer a beating according to said street rules. So, he did what any self respecting street hood does, he drove to my PD's parking lot and tried to surrender to the locals. Unfortunately for him, LAPD did not recognize our parking lot as out of bounds. Our sergeant at the time, who eventually went on to become chief of police, is said to have told his officers to stand back and let LAPD handle it. LAPD administered the requisite ass kicking, threw dummy in the back of a unit and took him back to LA.

LtDave
04-03-2016, 01:53 PM
Dream job ...

Absolutely. I wasn't LAPD, but I got about as close as you can to that job when I worked LA IMPACT in the mid '90's.

pablo
04-03-2016, 03:21 PM
As an outsider knowing nothing of the tactics/training for these situations, the control these guys showed was impressive. Cool, calm, and collected!

Side note: I can't be the only one that was hoping the guy would make a run for it so the Mal could get in on the action....

Wait a minute there's a scary armored vehicle and lots of scary guys in body armor pointing rifles, OMG militarized police....an overwhelming show of force and very intimidating, who'd a thunk they might scare the bad guy and make him think twice about pulling any hijinks. But that's bad, Mkay. Group hugs at the end of chases are better than being scary.

Once upon time, at the termination of a chase we would swarm a car, smash all the windows, rip out the bad guy(s) by the ears and stomp him into a puddle of grease. But that one time the bad guy turns out to be a Regular Joe that had a mild stroke, think anyone wanted to hear the excuses about the way we handle up.

Dagga Boy
04-03-2016, 04:29 PM
The complete lack of supervision, formal or informal, has been mentioned. The senior, by experience, officers need to be developing plans and communicating them if the actual supervisors are not.

We were 2 + a supervisor for quite a while, now we are 3+ a supervisor unless the need for more can be articulated.

The differences in equipment between the videos is obvious, however it does not account for the differences in the outcome. The LAPD video show Metro officers handling the PIT and resolution of the pursuit. Training and experience is the benefit there. These cops are selected (as well as self-selected in just the application process) with experience being a factor and then trained. They all work & train together; unlike most patrol entities.

"We" have to get away from dumping our training to adjust to the BadGuy's expected actions. Either we follow our training or we adjust it to account for the BadGuy's probable actions. We've gotten used to the BadGuys running at the end of the pursuit, so we run up to the car. That takes the K9s out of play because they cannot be released to chase the BadGuy. All of those cops out on foot now create the exigencies that lead to shootings of "un-armed motorists." How many organizations teach, train high-risk vehicle stops and take-downs in a manner anywhere consistent to what played out in the Miami video?

Actual street level (formal & informal) leadership is needed, as is training that is relevant to what we are really encountering, dealing with.

We know how to do this stuff correctly. With the amount of manpower at the end of that pursuit, they could have had an airtight rolling perimeter. Multiple dogs and an air unit...where was this idiot going?. One of the reasons we were seeing so many crooks in SoCal just turning on cops and shooting on contact, and running until they actually see a cop.....because they know they cannot get out of a set perimeter run by pro's with dogs and helicopters. Same with the b.s. About not having a ton of resources. We had a neighboring agency that did not have our resources. Always undermanned and very busy. I can tell you this, every time we went there on mutual aid with our helicopter, we always caught the crook....because these guys set the most disciplined, airtight perimeters I have ever seen, AND stellar "street leadership" where their senior officers would go full asshole on any junior copper who did not do what they were supposed to and were not disciplined. The on radio beat downs of guys who did not maintain discipline was epic.....and they were VERY efficient at putting felons in cages.

Part of the job of senior experienced guys and line supervisors is to prevent crap like that video. This is going to be a huge problem in the future as the guys leave law enforcement and check out who are good at dealing with stress, violence, and control of crisis's through experience. As those folks disappear, it will be amateur hour run by people who got promoted by not being in roles in the incidents that they now have not a clue how to manage.

Drang
04-03-2016, 04:33 PM
I confess, I kept getting distracted by apparent airspace violations and "Tweet us your comments and we'll give you a shout-out!"

Coyotesfan97
04-03-2016, 06:28 PM
I confess, I kept getting distracted by apparent airspace violations and "Tweet us your comments and we'll give you a shout-out!"

That's funny I never noticed before that clip is from the news channel I watch.

If you pull up a cruiser and pinch him into that dumpster he's not going anywhere. Not sure who thinks its a good idea to go into small areas where you or your dog can be easily crushed by the suspect if he decides to get back in. They could easily have had two dead K9s and or Handlers.

With that many Officers around you'd better have your dog on leash or he's going to run around taking free shots like the GSD did on the Officer and the Mal in the car. I think the handler with the GSD just popped his door and expected it to follow him. Sending a dog on a guy with his hands up is usually a bad thing. If your dog is on leash he isn't going to engage unless you let him.

Chief no one was more surprised than me....

Dagga Boy
04-03-2016, 09:04 PM
That's funny I never noticed before that clip is from the news channel I watch.

If you pull up a cruiser and pinch him into that dumpster he's not going anywhere. Not sure who thinks its a good idea to go into small areas where you or your dog can be easily crushed by the suspect if he decides to get back in. They could easily have had two dead K9s and or Handlers.

With that many Officers around you'd better have your dog on leash or he's going to run around taking free shots like the GSD did on the Officer and the Mal in the car. I think the handler with the GSD just popped his door and expected it to follow him. Sending a dog on a guy with his hands up is usually a bad thing. If your dog is on leash he isn't going to engage unless you let him.

Chief no one was more surprised than me....

For most of the folks who are disciplined at this stuff, the crook throwing the car in reverse in that situation is likely getting smoked. In this case, the officers rushing the car created the hazard. They also were in such a poor position that nobody could use deadly force to keep them from getting injured due to the crossfire issues. As Coyotesfan97 noted, a single cruiser could have prevented any further escape....if a bunch of people had not gotten between the lead unit and the bad guy. It is hard to use approbation force when officers create the dangerous situation that ends up justifying it.

The only thing that I am waiting for now is when they start handing out the hero medals for that abortion. I am sure their were some favorites at the top of the Christmas card list that need their resumes padded with some awards.

GJM
04-03-2016, 09:29 PM
Would you call the "scrum," ECQC for LE? :)

Oops, I assumed this was in RR.

Hambo
04-04-2016, 06:31 AM
They made this one a lot harder and a lot more dangerous than it had to be.

Dagga Boy
04-04-2016, 07:33 AM
They made this one a lot harder and a lot more dangerous than it had to be.

In this case, piss poor undisciplined "tactics" created most of the danger. The job is dangerous enough without having a bunch of officers with no emotional control creating the danger.

Hambo
04-04-2016, 07:54 AM
In this case, piss poor undisciplined "tactics" created most of the danger. The job is dangerous enough without having a bunch of officers with no emotional control creating the danger.

Yep. The runner made this one pretty easy by finding a dead end. Pinch the car tight, then normal felony stop. They definitely fell into the better lucky than good category. When I saw the car reverse I thought I was going to be watching officers get killed either by the car or blue on blue fire. Sending the K9 into the car was also a mystery to me.

Peally
04-04-2016, 08:48 AM
Just remember, for every competent person there's a couple fuckheads. Applies to most situations.

Coyotesfan97
04-04-2016, 01:04 PM
K9 handlers need to think on their feet and realize the answer to every problem isn't a dog. There are times when you need to say this isn't a dog call.

When the cars still running and hasn't been blocked don't send your dog. If you nearly got run over and the drivers still behind the wheel don't send him. There's a big blue paw on that open door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iheartglock
04-04-2016, 01:17 PM
Wait a minute there's a scary armored vehicle and lots of scary guys in body armor pointing rifles, OMG militarized police....an overwhelming show of force and very intimidating, who'd a thunk they might scare the bad guy and make him think twice about pulling any hijinks. But that's bad, Mkay. Group hugs at the end of chases are better than being scary.

Once upon time, at the termination of a chase we would swarm a car, smash all the windows, rip out the bad guy(s) by the ears and stomp him into a puddle of grease. But that one time the bad guy turns out to be a Regular Joe that had a mild stroke, think anyone wanted to hear the excuses about the way we handle up.

Perhaps my comment was read out of context, or perhaps I'm reading your reply out of context. I'm all for "militarized" police and overwhelming and "scary" shows of force. What I'm saying is:
A) The way the LAPD handled the ending of the chase of homeboy in the Prius video I quoted from post #14 (NOT the OP's video), looked very well orchestrated to me and I appreciate the training these guys obviously get to not turn it into a clusterf*ck like the OP's video.
B) I wanted said homeboy to be even dumber than he actually was to run on his feet so the very excited K9 could chase/bite the f*ck out of him. I enjoy those videos. That's all :D

pablo
04-04-2016, 01:39 PM
Leadership in LE is largely non existent. If that news chopper hadn't been there and an officer tried to bring up some major safety issues, let's not kid ourselves, he would have been told to take a hike. He'd get labelled a squirrel and cast out. For most of LE, fair weather management is the name of the game, it's not a problem until it's a really big problem. That's why so many departments have no one to blame but themselves while the DOJ is crawling up their butts and jamming terrible PERF policy down their throats.

A lot of the street leadership has been killed off by the same idiots that bring about hug-a-thug policies. Street leaders hurt people's feeling by telling them that they are idiots when they're being idiots, and are running the risk of getting jammed up on a hostile work environment complaint. Everybody is a snowflake nowadays.

pablo
04-04-2016, 01:41 PM
Perhaps my comment was read out of context, or perhaps I'm reading your reply out of context. I'm all for "militarized" police and overwhelming and "scary" shows of force. What I'm saying is:
A) The way the LAPD handled the ending of the chase of homeboy in the Prius video I quoted from post #14 (NOT the OP's video), looked very well orchestrated to me and I appreciate the training these guys obviously get to not turn it into a clusterf*ck like the OP's video.
B) I wanted said homeboy to be even dumber than he actually was to run on his feet so the very excited K9 could chase/bite the f*ck out of him. I enjoy those videos. That's all :D

Nothing was directed at you, I was being sarcastic. It's amazing how people gripe about militarized police and amored vehicles, but when used for a properly executed vehicle takedown it couldn't be any more textbook, safer for the officers and citizens, and more discouraging for the bad guy to use violence.

Coyotesfan97
04-04-2016, 02:10 PM
This is a K9 thread drift but it's usually the guys who go all code black are the ones afterwards who tell you "Man I really wanted to see your dog bite that guy". So then I get to tell them if you had waited 30 seconds like I told you over the radio before you went into the bushes to drag the guy out you'd have seen it or if you'd waited for the dog before searching the backyard like I told you over the radio you'd have seen it or if you hadn't run after the suspect knowing a dog was on scene and had listened K9 announcements (it's not just a warning to the suspect) you'd have seen it....

pablo
04-04-2016, 11:27 PM
This is a K9 thread drift but it's usually the guys who go all code black are the ones afterwards who tell you "Man I really wanted to see your dog bite that guy". So then I get to tell them if you had waited 30 seconds like I told you over the radio before you went into the bushes to drag the guy out you'd have seen it or if you'd waited for the dog before searching the backyard like I told you over the radio you'd have seen it or if you hadn't run after the suspect knowing a dog was on scene and had listened K9 announcements (it's not just a warning to the suspect) you'd have seen it....

Which is all fun and games (and a little paperwork) for you, but not so much fun for the saps in patrol that have to go sit on the prisoner in the hospital while he gets stapled up. Unless it's pretty nurses night at the hospital.

Coyotesfan97
04-04-2016, 11:42 PM
Which is all fun and games (and a little paperwork) for you, but not so much fun for the saps in patrol that have to go sit on the prisoner in the hospital while he gets stapled up. Unless it's pretty nurses night at the hospital.

My bite report/supplement is often longer then the primary Officers's report. I get to go to the hospital too to supervise the crime tech taking photographs and interview the suspect about the dog bite. For some reason a lot of bites happen around 0200 so I get to drink some coffee and talk to the nurses too.

I'd rather get finds then bites. A lot less paperwork.

LittleLebowski
04-05-2016, 06:02 AM
Still pretty jealous of CoyotesFan97's job. You'd think some dept would be clamoring to hire and train me as a reserve K9 officer :D

Nephrology
04-06-2016, 09:04 AM
My bite report/supplement is often longer then the primary Officers's report. I get to go to the hospital too to supervise the crime tech taking photographs and interview the suspect about the dog bite. For some reason a lot of bites happen around 0200 so I get to drink some coffee and talk to the nurses too.

I'd rather get finds then bites. A lot less paperwork.

You guys are always tons of fun to chat with when you show up to the ED, FYI. Definitely provide some of the more interesting lacs to repair too.

Shellback
04-06-2016, 07:10 PM
That dude's pay day should come out of the rugby players' pockets.

11B10
04-06-2016, 08:05 PM
"They used incredible restraint, because when that subject put that car in reverse, they could've easily shot him and they took into consideration that right behind them was a restaurant with people dining, and those are the split second decisions we need to make as police officers," Miami Fraternal Order of Police President Javier Ortiz said.

And this right here is the problem. Are you f-ing kidding me. If you folks think that was incredible restraint I don't know what it would take to be an unmitigated clusterfuck. The public see's this crap, knows FAR less than people who have and do do this job everyday and you are telling them this is "restraint" and wonder why you have DOJ living in your rectum. Want to do your officers a favor, how about this statement....."What you saw today was what happens when city politicians and LE management lower hiring standards, place on-going relevant and high quality training on the bottom of the list for priority in budgeting, and when officers resort to responding from pure emotion and fear rather than solid training. Also, the lack of leadership and quality supervision were apparent here as well and should be a lesson about promoting people based on trying to create an appearance of diversity rather than based on their ability to control officers through example and experience. Hopefully; the public will demand greater training for our officers in actual proper use of force, firearms, driving and defensive tactics to avoid further incidents like this one. We also hope the department will realize that we are wasting valuable training time with feel good cultural awareness and diversity training that has no relevance to how officers are responding to dangerous high stress incidents. It is our hope that the officials elected to positions of authority in this city will take seriously the true task of leadership that is providing the public with exceptionally well-trained and disciplined professional police officers, rather than issuing sound bites and crossing their fingers that nothing serious happens."

nyeti - your words really resonate - because you state the truth, they are also depressing. Can you see any way that America could return to the way things SHOULD be?

Coyotesfan97
04-08-2016, 05:07 AM
You guys are always tons of fun to chat with when you show up to the ED, FYI. Definitely provide some of the more interesting lacs to repair too.

I've only dealt with one PA in an ER who was anti cop and was horrified that we used dogs to apprehend people. Unfortunately I discovered her true colors after she stitched up my leg one night.

Everyone else has been outstanding. It's amazing how many medical people have relatives or spouses in LE.

You'd like my current dog.

voodoo_man
04-08-2016, 07:36 AM
I've only dealt with one PA in an ER who was anti cop and was horrified that we used dogs to apprehend people. Unfortunately I discovered her true colors after she stitched up my leg one night.

Everyone else has been outstanding. It's amazing how many medical people have relatives or spouses in LE.

I've heard ER nurses ask dudes in custody "did the officer beat you? Was it brutality? Dont worry ill document your injuries for court." We dont go to that hospital anymore..

Hambo
04-08-2016, 08:07 AM
I've heard ER nurses ask dudes in custody "did the officer beat you? Was it brutality? Dont worry ill document your injuries for court." We dont go to that hospital anymore..

My wife has zero sympathy for chewed up suspects.

AMC
04-08-2016, 04:16 PM
I've seen both sides of that spectrum. Fortunately the overwhelming majority of nurses I've dealt with have been great, and clearly on our side. Did have one ER nurse when I got a minor (human) bite on my trigger finger years ago tell me the doctor would refuse to see me unless I left my gun outside. I refused, so she tried to get me to lock it in a locker in a closet. I again refused. Funny, the Doc never mentioned the evil gun on my hip. She was supposed to irrigate and clean the wound. The nurse put the saline pump so close she filled up my finger with water, pushing germs into the joint. And no antibiotics. For a human bite. Next day I had to have emergency surgery to save my hand from a massive strep infection. Hospital closed a year later after CDC investigated a cluster of serious infections post treatment.

On the other end....arrested a drunk for assaulting an elderly homeless gal in a wheelchair with a 2x4. Actually on-viewed that one. Eskimo gal...she had a big old male malamute named Bosco tied to her chair. Before we got out of the car, Bosco unleashed himself and almost ripped the drunks leg off. When he saw us, the dog looked like he was thinking, "Ok, cops are here. They got this." He just went and laid down next to his lady. At the ER to treat our suspect for the dog bite, the ER nurse asked what happened. I told her, and she got that look. "Drunk, huh? Well, we don't want him to piss himself here." Grabbed his manhood and catheterized him......sans lube. Imagine the scream.

Lon
04-08-2016, 06:49 PM
I watched a black ER doc staple a dude's scalp closed without numbing him up first after the drunk ass called him a f-in n*****. There are some people you just don't want to have pissed at you.

Coyotesfan97
04-08-2016, 10:29 PM
Do NOT make ER nurses mad at you.

Nephrology
04-08-2016, 11:29 PM
Do NOT make ER nurses mad at you.

Never. Always do what nurses say. Always.

45dotACP
04-09-2016, 11:39 AM

I think there's just something about cops and medical professionals...Work long hours, deal with unreasonable or actually insane "customers"....oh and the hilarious stories I've heard from other nurses can only be topped by the hilarious stories I've heard from police officers.

It's like peanut butter and jelly :D

rojocorsa
06-04-2016, 11:40 AM
As someone with an outsiders's perspective:

Interesting to read these accounts of these "old-school" street rules that nyeti has mentioned.