PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy your plated bullets?

BehindBlueI's
04-01-2016, 12:48 PM
I need .357 and .44, as stocks are low. I've been using either Xtreme plated or Rocky Mountain Reloading, but am curious as to other's sources and what you think. I'm mostly just making practice rounds and medium-medium/heavy loads (say 75-85% max charge).

camsdaddy
04-01-2016, 01:25 PM
I have only tried plated rounds from Everglades ammunition. Their shipping is fast and the service was great. I can say of the rounds I have purchased. I have been pleased. I dont have much to compare them to though.

Sal Picante
04-01-2016, 01:48 PM
Xtremes are good for plated. I just hate their customer service, personally.

That said, for things that require a good, hard crimp, I prefer coated bullets, like the ones from SNS!

In fact, going to run back down to SNS to pick up some 44 mag bullets and test those suckers!

Shameless plug:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/731798/PF/choppersns.jpg

BehindBlueI's
04-01-2016, 06:36 PM
Xtremes are good for plated. I just hate their customer service, personally.

That said, for things that require a good, hard crimp, I prefer coated bullets, like the ones from SNS!

Hmm. I am aware coated exists, but have steered clear due to the warnings about over crimping and generally not knowing anything about them. You're saying they'll take a hard crimp? What's the advantage over plated, seems like they are within a few bucks of each other for .44 and .357.

dsa
04-01-2016, 06:46 PM
Hmm. I am aware coated exists, but have steered clear due to the warnings about over crimping and generally not knowing anything about them. You're saying they'll take a hard crimp? What's the advantage over plated, seems like they are within a few bucks of each other for .44 and .357.

It has been my experience that you can push them much harder than a plated bullet. I have a couple of buddies that insist on shooting Elmer Keith loads in their .44's, plated doesn't stand up to the velocity but coated works well.

BehindBlueI's
04-01-2016, 07:03 PM
It has been my experience that you can push them much harder than a plated bullet. I have a couple of buddies that insist on shooting Elmer Keith loads in their .44's, plated doesn't stand up to the velocity but coated works well.

Interesting. I see where SNS says keep it under 1500 fps. That's well under what I'm going to be pushing them...

dsa
04-01-2016, 07:38 PM
Interesting. I see where SNS says keep it under 1500 fps. That's well under what I'm going to be pushing them...

I push them a little harder than that without issue. My partner and I shoot a .38/357 158gr SWC out of a 18" Rossi carbine at 2,000fps, it is more accurate then either one of us can shoot and no fouling. When loading them use sufficient flare/bell so as not to shave any coating during the seating process and crimp as you would a plain lead bullet.

BN
04-01-2016, 08:03 PM
I've had better luck with coated bullets than plated. Plated bullets are more sensitive to over crimping than coated in my experience. I once had 10,000 plated bullets that would keyhole no matter how much crimp I used. I used them for practice only after one key holed in a match and hit a non threat target 5 feet away. :(

Sal Picante
04-04-2016, 11:29 AM
That coating is TOUGH!

We see bullets after being shot at steel and the coating is still attached. It just doesn't come off...

I have a box of SNS 44's I'm going to try out soon!

Pistol Pete 10
04-07-2016, 08:32 PM
I shoot plated 9MM bullets, Everglades, Berrys, Exterme, Ranier, I can't tell any difference between any of them. I buy from whoever has best price and in stock. I've also used some from thebulletwoeks.net, they were also good. I use cast in everything else.