PDA

View Full Version : OSS Suppressor system: baffle-free design

Luke
04-01-2016, 05:05 AM
Post #8 (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?19899-OSS-Suppressor-system-baffle-free-design&p=427008&viewfull=1#post427008) in this thread was the original OP before merging in OSS posts from thr CSASS thread (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?19889)

Those OSS supressors always called my name. I thought they looked cool and the videos looked like they really worked. Never really heard much about them though. I'm guessing now this will be the new fanboy supressor.

Dagga Boy
04-01-2016, 07:32 AM
I spent all of a LE trade show with one sitting in front of me and I coveted the entire time. The OSS can is awesome; however, OSS just had a horrible internal company break up inside after SHOT show, so I am unsure of what will be their future and quality.

voodoo_man
04-01-2016, 07:44 AM
I have not heard a single good thing about OSS.

I played with one of their cans for a day at the range...thing is...weird

Dagga Boy
04-01-2016, 07:52 AM
I been at numerous demos, and spent a day in an indoor range with them at Shot. When you can run .338 Lapua and .50 indoors without ear pro....good stuff. Also, they put almost no back pressure on the gun, which is actually a very big deal that is not accounted for. Company may have just gone full retard, but the design has some real merits....and I agree, they are weird.

LittleLebowski
04-01-2016, 07:55 AM
I been at numerous demos, and spent a day in an indoor range with them at Shot. When you can run .338 Lapua and .50 indoors without ear pro....good stuff. Also, they put almost no back pressure on the gun, which is actually a very big deal that is not accounted for. Company may have just gone full retard, but the design has some real merits....and I agree, they are weird.

The baffle suppressors do beat these things out on suppression (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?19640-Ever-want-to-compare-an-Specwar-Omega-Sandman-Surge-YHM-OSS-all-at-once) but OSS's main selling point is indeed reducing back pressure. I don't want one, happy with my baffle suppressors.

voodoo_man
04-01-2016, 08:08 AM
Since its relevant, some photos I took of the one I shot

http://i.imgur.com/4qiLwpZ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/nsqckQA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5mbBiJm.jpg

Unobtanium
04-01-2016, 08:09 AM
OSS is already on "Gen V" after...several set-backs...plus the internal conflict going on in OSS that was mentioned above. I am very surprised the OSS can made the selection, but really don't know if it did or not, do we? Did that scope? Did that mount? Do we know what the import of that picture even is? I saw nothing about an OSS suppressor in the list of contracts awarded that was linked to...

nycnoob
04-01-2016, 10:58 AM
Saw the on Facebook by the NEShooters people. I know nothing about it but it looks cool

http://osssuppressors.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/HomePageCansOnBrass-768x384.jpg

http://thuglifevideos.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/OSS-Baffle-Free-Suppressor.jpg

INSANE NEW BAFFLE-FREE SUPPRESSORS [VIDEO]

The OSS Suppressor system was developed by a Veteran of the SOF community to create a new and improved suppression system that is a huge jump from traditional suppressors. Being completely hearing safe with no overpressure in enclosed environments and providing incredible recoil reduction, the baffle-free design is truly remarkable.

https://magazine.gruntstyle.com/2016/02/01/insane-new-suppressors/
(https://magazine.gruntstyle.com/2016/02/01/insane-new-suppressors/)

Insane NEW baffle-free suppressor is as badass as it looks

The OSS suppressor system is an amazing step forward in a piece of weapon’s technology that’s basically remained the same for a century. This baffle-free design is truly unbelievebale. Hearing safe with no over-pressure in an enclosed environment while providing phenomenal recoil reduction, this system does everything.

http://americangg.net/insane-new-suppressor-is-as-badass-as-it-looks/

Company FAQ

http://osssuppressors.com/faq/

Default.mp3
04-01-2016, 11:41 AM
OSS was supposedly part of several of the CSASS submissions, including the H&K one that won. However, they seem to be having leadership issues recently, with the founder/CEO leaving quite dramatically: http://soldiersystems.net/2016/02/22/russ-oliver-resigns/

Hansohn Brothers
04-01-2016, 11:45 AM
It is not hearing safe at all. It does have lower back pressure though.

nycnoob
04-01-2016, 12:13 PM
This just came up on thetruthaboutguns: hk-reportedly-wins-contract-replace-aging-m-110-semi-auto-sniper-rifles (http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/04/foghorn/hk-reportedly-wins-contract-replace-aging-m-110-semi-auto-sniper-rifles/)

http://soldiersystems.net/2016/03/31/rumor-has-it-hk-wins-csass/

It’s beyond rumor at this point. According to multiple sources familiar with various aspects of the program, H&K’s entry for the Compact Semi-Automatic Sniper System (CSASS) program was selected earlier this week for procurement by the United States Army. Other finalists were LMT and FNH USA.

The entry, named the G28E1, was displayed at SHOT Show in H&K’s booth. Interestingly, it incorporates an OSS Suppressor.

Luke
04-01-2016, 12:23 PM

In the other thread were we were talking about this can it was mentioned that they were shooting .338- bmg rounds INDOORS with no ear pro.. So which one is it? They shooting magnum subs lol

nycnoob
04-01-2016, 12:25 PM
In the other thread were we were talking about this

Here are links to other PF theads that mention OSS Supressors, I had not heard about them till yesterday and missed these threads when they started:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?19889-H-amp-K-Wins-CSASS-competition-for-the-M110E1

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?19640-Ever-want-to-compare-an-Specwar-Omega-Sandman-Surge-YHM-OSS-all-at-once

Luke
04-01-2016, 12:26 PM
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?19889-H-amp-K-Wins-CSASS-competition-for-the-M110E1

Yes?

Drang
04-01-2016, 12:28 PM
I wish bloggers...

Luke
04-01-2016, 12:37 PM
My bad. I just assumed everyone new. Seems like the amount of new threads emerging out of other threads had picked up a little and for some reason I felt the need to be a princess and interject some "sass". I think it came out/off wrong lol

Basically what it boils down two is two threads, with two totally different remarks about the same item, 1 guy says not hearing safe and the other guy says they were using anti tank guns with it INSIDE and it was safe.

Josh Runkle
04-01-2016, 02:46 PM
My bad. I just assumed everyone new. Seems like the amount of new threads emerging out of other threads had picked up a little and for some reason I felt the need to be a princess and interject some "sass". I think it came out/off wrong lol

Basically what it boils down two is two threads, with two totally different remarks about the same item, 1 guy says not hearing safe and the other guy says they were using anti tank guns with it INSIDE and it was safe.

Just because they are using (your words not mine) Anti-Tank weapons indoors, does not mean that they were using anti-tank ammunition.

Dagga Boy
04-01-2016, 03:07 PM

Weird, because I have shot .338 Lapua Mag in an indoor 4 lane smaller rifle range with no ear pro, and was inside with numerous demos with no issues. At SHOT, I was running .50 with no ear pro and lots of other systems including SBR's without issue. I do not work for OSS, but a good friend who was part of the group that left did, so I was at plenty of shows and demo's and we ran a lot of our sights on their guns. Essentially, I have been present for thousands of rounds shot through them and many other cans and have not found them loud at all, and better than many of the other systems I have been on ranges with.

Edwin
04-01-2016, 03:15 PM
I wish there was a pistol version.

HCM
04-01-2016, 03:20 PM

The reduced back pressure is specifically why it was on the Tavor I shot because/ bullpup.

HCM
04-01-2016, 03:23 PM
OSS is already on "Gen V" after...several set-backs...plus the internal conflict going on in OSS that was mentioned above. I am very surprised the OSS can made the selection, but really don't know if it did or not, do we? Did that scope? Did that mount? Do we know what the import of that picture even is? I saw nothing about an OSS suppressor in the list of contracts awarded that was linked to...

That picture is the HK CASS submission as submitted per HK at SHOT. - Whether the scope and suppressor are part of the actual contract package or if the contract is for just the rifle is a good question.

Apparently two other manufacturers CASS submissions also used the OSS suppressors. It would make sense to field the rifle with the suppressor it was tested with but this is the Gov't.

Luke
04-01-2016, 03:31 PM
Then it would probably be a good suppressor for the AUG too.

nyeti, any experience?

You should ask him on the other thread, I think he's more active in that one

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?19899-OSS-Suppressor-system-baffle-free-design

:p

Luke
04-01-2016, 03:54 PM
Moved over relevant posts from the CSASS thread (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?19889).

So, looking back over this. I was the one who started the thread drift :| and then I complained about thread drifts :|

Dagga Boy
04-01-2016, 06:15 PM
Then it would probably be a good suppressor for the AUG too.

nyeti, any experience?

That was my intention. I am just leery now because of the movement at OSS. I have a barrel specifically for an OSS can, but I doubt that will happen now. I have a special gas plug for the AUG to run it suppressed in a standard barrel and I am going to try to get a Surefire adaptor for it.....but this is iffy as well.

I find it almost amusing that a super loud non-hearing safe suppressor that totally sucks was spec'ed on most of the guns for this contract. Really weird that those dumb military snipers don't know how bad they are. My negatives were size and expense and weird looking. As far as function and taking everything away from the shooter, I was very happy.

I have a ton of time with the Surefire stuff......also horrifically loud, and suck:rolleyes: (I despise the entire suppressor industry when it comes to drama). I was worried about their viability as well on the business side.

Again.....I have shot both .338 and .50 indoors with these things with no ear pro. The .308 and 5.56 is downright pleasant. They blow almost nothing back into the system, put almost no pressure (which is extensive and potentially dangerous, and puts a bunch of stress on the gun with many systems) on the internals, and I was sold on them even though I initially was turned off due to ..weird.

BWT
04-01-2016, 09:41 PM
I don't know much about AUGs except surface level stuff and that their piston gas system releases a ton of noise. Have you found the special gas plug to solve it?

As a side note, historically the suppressor industry has been like a soap opera for years. It's mostly behaving these days... Compared to what it was.

God Bless,

Brandon

Dagga Boy
04-01-2016, 10:11 PM
I don't know much about AUGs except surface level stuff and that their piston gas system releases a ton of noise. Have you found the special gas plug to solve it?

As a side note, historically the suppressor industry has been like a soap opera for years. It's mostly behaving these days... Compared to what it was.

God Bless,

Brandon

They also tend to overwhelm the gas system, which is why I wanted the OSS Tavor can for mine. I have one of two gas plugs in this country that is a factory Steyr Austria part where the Grenade launcher setting (which normally totally shuts the system down) now has a port optimized for the suppressor. Have no idea how good it is, but I believe it is what the JagdCommandos are using with their suppressed guns.
All I am looking for is something to be able to shoot minus ear pro. The suppresor industry loves getting hung up on the biggest decibel reduction (and I think a bunch of that is some sort of interpretive voodoo on measurement). End users get hung up on ease of use and simple signature reduction.

I was hoping the suppressor industry had mellowed out....likely an impossible dream.

Hansohn Brothers
04-02-2016, 10:40 AM
How does suppression compare to other 5.56 cans?

I haven't compared the 5.56 model. The 7.62 mm model is louder than any competing product.

BCL
04-02-2016, 11:28 AM
I haven't compared the 5.56 model. The 7.62 mm model is louder than any competing product.

Which 7.62mm model did you use? On their website, OSS has about 20 different models/combinations of BPRs and SRMs that can be used and OSS claims DB data from as loud as 154 dB to as quiet as 134 dB.

Just curious.

Hansohn Brothers
04-02-2016, 12:14 PM
Which 7.62mm model did you use? On their website, OSS has about 20 different models/combinations of BPRs and SRMs that can be used and OSS claims DB data from as loud as 154 dB to as quiet as 134 dB.

Just curious.

I think it was a gen 4, over the barrel.

Greenmachine
04-03-2016, 08:45 PM
I'll try and help out with the OSS questions...like Nyeti said ear safe indoors, as in 6ft conex 338 Lapua factory ammo one handed...recoiled and sound were almost absent.
The company has had changes, nothing that has impacted their ability to deliver a product.
CSass had 5 entrants 3 of those included the OSS system, so either everyone likes the octagon or the system has merits.
Full disclosure I work for OSS, and Nyeti can vouch, I don't throw my reputation behind everyone employer or not...I worked for the folks who bought Blackhawk and refused to sale the SERPA or the Vietcong knock off products to my customers.
Questions send them I'll answer what I can or get you that answer...
Chad

Luke
04-03-2016, 08:53 PM
Why are we getting two different stories from people I believe to be 100% telling the truth?

Safe indoors 338 and not even close to safe?? Which one is it

Unobtanium
04-03-2016, 09:02 PM
Why are we getting two different stories from people I believe to be 100% telling the truth?

Safe indoors 338 and not even close to safe?? Which one is it
Considering that no supersonic rifle round is hearing safe indoors...I'd say you have a person with significant hearing loss at the 6000Hz range vs. one who can hear, and both are being honest.

Unobtanium
04-03-2016, 09:04 PM
I'll try and help out with the OSS questions...like Nyeti said ear safe indoors, as in 6ft conex 338 Lapua factory ammo one handed...recoiled and sound were almost absent.
The company has had changes, nothing that has impacted their ability to deliver a product.
CSass had 5 entrants 3 of those included the OSS system, so either everyone likes the octagon or the system has merits.
Full disclosure I work for OSS, and Nyeti can vouch, I don't throw my reputation behind everyone employer or not...I worked for the folks who bought Blackhawk and refused to sale the SERPA or the Vietcong knock off products to my customers.
Chad

So you're saying the laws of physics have been put on hold, and the supersonic sound signature of a .30 caliber projectile has been eliminated, by an OSS suppressor?

...or do you mean factory loaded .338 subsonic ammunition...?

ETA: Was gen V significantly improved from Gen 4, regarding ability to maintain integrity?

Dagga Boy
04-03-2016, 09:34 PM
Chad

If you are still there.....I can go back to my AUG plan. :cool:

People can question my integrity on this....knock yourself out. I have shot a whole bunch of suppressed stuff over a lot of years at a purely operator level. I don't get into all the Db's, or scientific stuff because I am not going to try to figure out the science side, do not care, and have found over a couple decades their is a TON of b.s. Floating around. What I have done is tested, selected and issued stuff for agency use. Have shot a lot of this stuff. Have done full house destructive testing for one manufacture, and seen some very good stuff, and stuff fall apart. Over the years, I have had good results with the Surefire stuff for an issue system. People said they were loud and sucked like everything else. We found they were durable and did what they advertised. Funny.....bunch of military folks found the same thing. I really was not a fan of the OSS stuff. Weird, looked funny, expensive, lots of modules....etc. then I was exposed to them a bunch because Greenmachine and I have been friends for a lot of years. We have done a bunch of professional demo's and the cans work. Trust me, when I am doing stuff with Aimpoint and am sitting on a range for days at many of these demo's with one mag dump after another with folks shooting "free" ammo in other people's guns I have come to appreciate suppressor's. I have seen ALL of them fail at some point. I have seen some brands crap the bed a lot. I have seen some very quiet cans destroy the host gun with too much back pressure causing issues, seen stuff that just was terrible with noise, and stuff that worked well across the board. So far, the OSS stuff has worked well. Again, my only concern now is what is going on internally within the company, but this is also par for the course in the suppressor industry.

I have no idea if the other people commenting have actually sat in an indoor range with no ear pro during an all day demo that includes shooting .338 and .50 along with cases of 5.56 and 7.62, but I have. I have not read the specs from advertising, nor do I much care. I do know from being behind the guns, the OSS cans are downright civil to the folks shooting them compared to other stuff. If someone thinks it is b.s.....go buy a can from the guy who can read Db. numbers and stats, doesn't bother me at all.

Unobtanium
04-03-2016, 10:04 PM
If you are still there.....I can go back to my AUG plan. :cool:

People can question my integrity on this....knock yourself out. I have shot a whole bunch of suppressed stuff over a lot of years at a purely operator level. I don't get into all the Db's, or scientific stuff because I am not going to try to figure out the science side, do not care, and have found over a couple decades their is a TON of b.s. Floating around. What I have done is tested, selected and issued stuff for agency use. Have shot a lot of this stuff. Have done full house destructive testing for one manufacture, and seen some very good stuff, and stuff fall apart. Over the years, I have had good results with the Surefire stuff for an issue system. People said they were loud and sucked like everything else. Surefire cans meter about 1-3dB louder than AAC cans, according to every 3rd party test I have seen conducted. They are also a wee bit smaller/lighter than the corresponding AAC cans, and have less back-pressure. We found they were durable and did what they advertised. Funny.....bunch of military folks found the same thing. I really was not a fan of the OSS stuff. Weird, looked funny, expensive, lots of modules....etc. then I was exposed to them a bunch because Greenmachine and I have been friends for a lot of years. We have done a bunch of professional demo's and the cans work. Trust me, when I am doing stuff with Aimpoint and am sitting on a range for days at many of these demo's with one mag dump after another with folks shooting "free" ammo in other people's guns I have come to appreciate suppressor's. I have seen ALL of them fail at some point. I have seen some brands crap the bed a lot. I have seen some very quiet cans destroy the host gun with too much back pressure causing issues, seen stuff that just was terrible with noise, and stuff that worked well across the board. So far, the OSS stuff has worked well. Again, my only concern now is what is going on internally within the company, but this is also par for the course in the suppressor industry. I keep getting two stories about OSS. None of which are for public consumption. I guess I would like to see them adopted by someone who has done legit destructive testing, before I spend any money on them. I would also like to see a "generation" last more than a few months before they feel a need to improve the design.

I have no idea if the other people commenting have actually sat in an indoor range with no ear pro during an all day demo that includes shooting .338 and .50 along with cases of 5.56 and 7.62, but I have. I have not read the specs from advertising, nor do I much care. I do know from being behind the guns, the OSS cans are downright civil to the folks shooting them compared to other stuff. If someone thinks it is b.s.....go buy a can from the guy who can read Db. numbers and stats, doesn't bother me at all.

The reason there is a disconnect with the dB data is that OSS is louder at the muzzle, while quieter at the shooter's ear. Most data is 1M 90* the muzzle. Not at the ear. Data taken at the ear shows the AAC Mini 4 as quieter than the AAC M4-SPR, for example. I am not sure what OSS meters at the ear, but the closest competitor likely found is the KAC or SF "mini" cans.

My problem with the OSS is size, durability, complexity, method of attachment, lack of successful "proof" beyond "proof of concept". They allege that their Gen 5 is good to go, but I'm sure they said that about Gen 1-4, as well. Surefire came out with a new can every what, 3-5+ years? Similar with AAC. It was a natural "Oh, we have learned a few things..." type progression. Not a "our shit broke again...we need to fix this ASAP! Throw out Rev. 1.243!" that seems to be, in my opinion, what OSS is doing.

*I have no connection to OSS, all my data is 2nd or 3rd hand, all of the above is just my opinion, and to be taken as such in full disclosure. You know. Because Vuurwapenblog, et. al.

Dagga Boy
04-04-2016, 12:18 AM
The reason there is a disconnect with the dB data is that OSS is louder at the muzzle, while quieter at the shooter's ear. Most data is 1M 90* the muzzle. Not at the ear. Data taken at the ear shows the AAC Mini 4 as quieter than the AAC M4-SPR, for example. I am not sure what OSS meters at the ear, but the closest competitor likely found is the KAC or SF "mini" cans.

My problem with the OSS is size, durability, complexity, method of attachment, lack of successful "proof" beyond "proof of concept". They allege that their Gen 5 is good to go, but I'm sure they said that about Gen 1-4, as well. Surefire came out with a new can every what, 3-5+ years? Similar with AAC. It was a natural "Oh, we have learned a few things..." type progression. Not a "our shit broke again...we need to fix this ASAP! Throw out Rev. 1.243!" that seems to be, in my opinion, what OSS is doing.

*I have no connection to OSS, all my data is 2nd or 3rd hand, all of the above is just my opinion, and to be taken as such in full disclosure. You know. Because Vuurwapenblog, et. al.

And you know what......I can totally appreciate all of that, including the concerns. AAC makes a good can......also had the same "internal business issues". I am looking forward to seeing how the LaRue can does. Again, people are looking for lots of different things. A good example was the Surefire stuff. We could always find something quieter....however; for LE use where a team buys a few cans that are shared by an entire team, the small zero change and ease of use were a bigger deal than a couple decibels. For some folks, cost is a huge factor. For many agencies, long term cost is different than short term. An individual will have different wants and factors than a large purchaser for issue equipment. All are factors. Like I said, totally understand that there are different factors. Also, as I said, the OSS is very different and I found them really good when working a line or in a range for comfort behind the gun. No blowback, and the noise is going away from the shooter. How that translates into db's and measurement.......don't know or care. What I do know is "not hearing safe" is not what I found with being around thousands upon thousands of rounds fired with them. I will admit not being in a position to evaluate them "down range" as it isn't in the "what I do" these days job. For military and LE this can be critical.

Unobtanium
04-04-2016, 03:24 AM
And you know what......I can totally appreciate all of that, including the concerns. AAC makes a good can......also had the same "internal business issues". I am looking forward to seeing how the LaRue can does. Again, people are looking for lots of different things. A good example was the Surefire stuff. We could always find something quieter....however; for LE use where a team buys a few cans that are shared by an entire team, the small zero change and ease of use were a bigger deal than a couple decibels. For some folks, cost is a huge factor. For many agencies, long term cost is different than short term. An individual will have different wants and factors than a large purchaser for issue equipment. All are factors. Like I said, totally understand that there are different factors. Also, as I said, the OSS is very different and I found them really good when working a line or in a range for comfort behind the gun. No blowback, and the noise is going away from the shooter. How that translates into db's and measurement.......don't know or care. What I do know is "not hearing safe" is not what I found with being around thousands upon thousands of rounds fired with them. I will admit not being in a position to evaluate them "down range" as it isn't in the "what I do" these days job. For military and LE this can be critical.

you're basing "hearing safe" on your personal perception. Have you taken an audiogram lately? if you have not, I strongly encourage you to. I think you will find significant notches in the 55-6500Hz range. The situations you describe finding a can "hearing safe" in, are not physically possible even if the can ELIMINATED muzzle signature and port-blast. It's like when the wheel bearings went out on a vehicle of mine. My father could NOT hear it. I could. Loudly.

I am not arguing that the OSS isn't quieter at the ear than other offerings. It very well might be. I am simply saying that I think personal perception is bunk in "declaring it safe".

Also, my advice to take an audiogram is not meant to be taken as dick comment. I'm being serious. I think if more people were aware of how gunfire affects hearing, they would be safer, enjoy life in their later years more, and suppressors would be legal without a tax stamp in this country like they are in EU. Seriously. Get the audiogram.If you don't want to take the time or money to "do it right", I have found that this online test very closely mirrored the notches in my professional audiograms that I have had done. You can't calibrate it for dB, but you can see if you are suffering losses in various frequencies. My prediction based on your statements is you will see pronounced notches between 5500-6500.
http://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html

Dagga Boy
04-04-2016, 07:45 AM
I know my hearing sucks. Between typical cop work, range stuff, flash bangs and breaching charges, and four years cuddled up to a turbine engine with a MD-500E as my daily ride and living at an airport....yea, probably not optimal hearing. With that said....I wasn't alone in those ranges. In fact, much of what Greenmachine was doing were demos at ranges for normal earth folks with their goal being to have a suppresor to make shooting comfortable and safer. Noise and blast sent forward met those goals easily. Also, for those folks, not have a face full of "exhaust" coming out the ejection port was a big bonus.

Situation is easy. Don't buy one. I just find this stuff almost funny because when I was doing a ton of stuff with Surefire.....I remember all of the exact same stuff about not being hearing safe, loud, would blow up, and complete crap....usually from folks who didn't sell them.

Unobtanium
04-04-2016, 08:19 AM
I know my hearing sucks. Between typical cop work, range stuff, flash bangs and breaching charges, and four years cuddled up to a turbine engine with a MD-500E as my daily ride and living at an airport....yea, probably not optimal hearing. With that said....I wasn't alone in those ranges. In fact, much of what Greenmachine was doing were demos at ranges for normal earth folks with their goal being to have a suppresor to make shooting comfortable and safer. Noise and blast sent forward met those goals easily. Also, for those folks, not have a face full of "exhaust" coming out the ejection port was a big bonus.

Situation is easy. Don't buy one. I just find this stuff almost funny because when I was doing a ton of stuff with Surefire.....I remember all of the exact same stuff about not being hearing safe, loud, would blow up, and complete crap....usually from folks who didn't sell them.

Do as you wish with your hearing. That was just the PSA I feel professionally obligated to offer. What you are doing is damaging your hearing further, I can tell you that for a FACT. I'm not attacking OSS, or pimping a competitor, with that statement, either. It's blanket.

Greenmachine
04-04-2016, 07:05 PM
Hearing safe is defined by OSHA as sound below the 140DB reading at the ear. So when I say hearing safe this is my stick I use to measure from. From a shooters right ear our suppressors measure between 134-139 in DB ratings depending on caliber, ammo used, and barrel length.
Durability and maintenance- everything is user serviceable. PM, is even easier because of the design, the gases help push all the trash out the front...is it self cleaning, maybe but so is your bore, and it still gets dirty. Carb cleaner till it drips and a shot to dry it...works every time. The design lends it self to not gather large areas of carbon build up.
Durability- how many rounds should a suppressor work for? I believe all of them...if suppression or accuracy degrade how do you refurb a traditional can? Our you replace the locking block for less than a hundred bucks and the round count is reset..again the design is to not create problems but to just direct the gas forward
Third party testing...hmm well CSASS is a start, there are at least two others which aren't public but should be soon, until then contact Jonesboro PD, Maine state police or ATF, they all have the systems.
I'm here to answer anything I can and to help. The easiest way is for me to come out and do a shoot, take the system for spin yourselves, and see what it can or can't do.
Green
Almost forgot...factory boxed ammo, yes that is what we use. Subsonic 338, where do I buy it, standard velocity is what I use for my demo shoots. Have I shot subs in the past, yes, 10 of them and they were 5 each of 7.62 and 5.56 why only 10, because I have 20 of each and they are damn hard to find.

PPGMD
04-05-2016, 08:00 PM
I am curious what the pricing would be.

I look at that design and it screams machine time, lots of machine time. And as everyone knows machine time = money. And any defect would scrap the entire can rather than just a single baffle.

Super77
04-06-2016, 12:24 PM

Chad,

I got to look at an OSS suppressor that was submitted for T&E that had a bunch of the tines/baffles broken off. I don't remember the model but it was tested 2013/2014. Is that an issue that's been addressed and can that type of breakage be fixed without requiring a new serial number?

Greenmachine
04-08-2016, 09:39 PM
Chad,

I got to look at an OSS suppressor that was submitted for T&E that had a bunch of the tines/baffles broken off. I don't remember the model but it was tested 2013/2014. Is that an issue that's been addressed and can that type of breakage be fixed without requiring a new serial number?
Absolutely, that was a previous gen can most likely a gen4 which was (my term) a mono coil style build. Where as the Gen V are sets of rings that interlock to form the coils. A damaged ring or coil set could be swapped out in under 5 mins if there was damage.
Machine work does cost more than pipe and washers, and yes we cost more, just like a Mercedes or Cadilac costs more than a Kia.

Super77
04-09-2016, 09:36 PM
Thanks for answering my questions. I think the comparison you make to a Cadillac is apt. The level of machining and engineering that goes into your equipment is really impressive.

Dagga Boy
04-11-2016, 12:16 PM
Chad,

I brought this up to Greenmachine while we were at TTPOA as he had not seen the thread when the question was asked. Watching him show how to replace internal parts was impressive. It was literally measured in seconds with the internals of the suppresor off the gun. I was more impressed as it was easily within my abilities to service the suppressor.

LittleLebowski
06-25-2016, 09:34 PM
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/06/25/tfb-exclusive-dod-photos-of-oss-suppressors-allegedly-failing-official-testing/

voodoo_man
06-26-2016, 07:51 AM
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/06/25/tfb-exclusive-dod-photos-of-oss-suppressors-allegedly-failing-official-testing/

Rekt.

Unobtanium
06-27-2016, 07:45 AM
Chad,

Supposedly Gen 5 stops the grenade problems. Of course, I bet Gen 4 was supposed to be G2G, too. Time will tell?

Unobtanium
06-27-2016, 07:46 AM

Well...it finally leaked. Those are months old, but wow. I did not think that would hit the internet. I guess OSS didn't, either...

LittleLebowski
06-27-2016, 10:09 AM
OSS has been playing a dirty little game with Surefire and now SF is responding in kind.

http://soldiersystems.net/2016/06/22/surefire-responds-to-competitor-suppressor-video/

Unobtanium
06-28-2016, 12:25 AM
OSS has been playing a dirty little game with Surefire and now SF is responding in kind.

http://soldiersystems.net/2016/06/22/surefire-responds-to-competitor-suppressor-video/

OSS's game was up when all the cans exploded during testing (which was a whole lot less rigorous than one might guess, and could be replicated without any NFA parts...), which led to...you guessed it...Gen 5, to save the day!

Burn2shine
01-03-2018, 11:15 AM
The OSS BPR&SRM 556 are on sale for $500, Helix (update of gen5?) for $600 in.30 or 556.
https://www.botach.com/oss-operators-suppressor-systems-bpr-srm-gen-5-full-auto-rated/
At this price range are these suppressors a viable option for a first can? The technology is appealing to me

Grey
01-03-2018, 11:52 AM
The OSS BPR&SRM 556 are on sale for $500, Helix (update of gen5?) for $600 in.30 or 556.
https://www.botach.com/oss-operators-suppressor-systems-bpr-srm-gen-5-full-auto-rated/
At this price range are these suppressors a viable option for a first can? The technology is appealing to me

I was under the impression that Botach was a pretty shady place to do business.

LittleLebowski
01-03-2018, 12:59 PM

I'd find a dealer in your state. I wouldn't get the OSS myself, but it's not the worst choice. There's no way in hell that I'd buy a can from Botach.

JM Campbell
01-03-2018, 01:17 PM
Botach does not sell NFA to civilians. Only .gov and LEO agencies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burn2shine
01-03-2018, 01:50 PM
Will see what price a local dealer can give me. OSS only giving this large discount to .gov does make since to get their name and product out to possible large quantity purchasers. Thanks for the information and advise.

David S.
08-03-2020, 08:54 AM
What's the current consensus on these suppressors? My context is non-LEO/MIL, general purpose, including home defense. Not SBR.

I know they had some early issues. Blowers mentions that he witnessed similar problems mentioned up thread. (note, video was 2016)

https://youtu.be/18opnNBhPPo?t=930

Aaron Cowan did a positive review of their current Helix model

https://youtu.be/19ON9T2CfRY

Mrgunsngear had similarly positive things to say.

HCM
08-03-2020, 03:16 PM
What's the current consensus on these suppressors? My context is non-LEO/MIL, general purpose, including home defense. Not SBR.

I know they had some early issues. Blowers mentions that he witnessed similar problems mentioned up thread. (note, video was 2016)

https://youtu.be/18opnNBhPPo?t=930

Aaron Cowan did a positive review of their current Helix model

https://youtu.be/19ON9T2CfRY

Mrgunsngear had similarly positive things to say.

The .30 cal version is the suppressor chosen for the U.S. Army M110A1 SDMR rifle (HK 417). They are buying 6,000 units.

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/09/oss-begins-shipping-sdmr-suppressors/#axzz6U5WIAdSa

I shot one on a Tavor a few years ago at an LE demo and it worked as advertised.

I think there were some growing pains and internal company drama a few years back but splitting up after achieving success seems as common in suppressor companies as with rock bands.

M1Garand
08-03-2020, 11:04 PM
I have a HX-QD 7.62 mainly for a M1A but have used it for .223 and 6.8. It actually seems quieter on the M1A think it is the better "seal" on the end cap with the larger cal. And while working loads for the 6.8 there was no change in MV or POI with the can on. POI changed some on the M1A but think that was more to the position being used and the extra weight not recoiling as much.

ScotchMan
10-08-2020, 05:42 PM
I'll add my review.

I have a 5.56 Helix QD (the new one circa 2020 that is one piece, but without the additional flash hider nub they added this summer after my Form 4 was processing). I absolutely love it. It is my only rifle can, for reference I also have a .45 caliber pistol can, so I can't give great comparison notes, but I do have at least some experience with baffles. I run my HX-QD on a Tavor X95, and a normal DI AR-15. It is invisible to the gun, in terms of function, reliability, bolt speed, gas, and fouling, which is a huge benefit that outweighs just about anything else for me. There is minimal gas in my face, the gun runs, and it doesn't get dirty substantially faster than unsuppressed.

It is brilliant that it uses left-handed threading, because it tightens with each shot. It is a sealed design and the cleaning procedure (for every 2,500 rounds) is to soak it in CLP and then shoot it.

I haven't done extensive accuracy testing, but for my home defense uses inside 100 yards, it still shoots to my unsupressed zero for me.

What I want from a suppressor is to throw it on the gun, have the gun be quieter, and not think about it again. That's what the OSS does. I love it, and I won't look at any non-OSS cans from now on. It may not be the quietest or the lightest or the cheapest, but it is the simplest and in my opinion most reliable, so if that's your priority check one out. My prediction is these are going to be the new hotness once enough people try them and see the benefits; it feels to me like the Glock in a world of 1911s and BHPs, but with the 6-12 month processing and general lack of use caused by the NFA slowing down adoption.

PS, a little bird told me some new models are coming soon, so, stay tuned.

David S.
10-08-2020, 06:44 PM
I just purchased a 762ti and a 22 RAD last week as my do it all cans. Looking forward to messing with them.

M1Garand ScotchMan, which muzzle device are you running? Trying to decide between the flash hider, muzzle break or comp. Not seeing any reviews of any of them.

The can is going to live on an AR and get rotated to a .30-06 for hunting trips. I suspect once the can gets out of jail, I’ll never shoot unsuppressed again, so not sure if it matters.

M1Garand
10-08-2020, 07:12 PM
I just purchased a 762ti and a 22 RAD last week as my do it all cans. Looking forward to messing with them.

M1Garand ScotchMan, which muzzle device are you running? Trying to decide between the flash hider, muzzle break or comp. Not seeing any reviews of any of them.

The can is going to live on an AR and get rotated to a .30-06 for hunting trips. I suspect once the can gets out of jail, I’ll never shoot unsuppressed again, so not sure if it matters.

I have the Muzzle Brake's on the M1A and M4. Old style 7.62 Flash Suppressor on the 6.8 new style 7.62 Flash Suppressor on a M1A Socom. They all work, only issue with firing with just the brakes on prone is a lot of ground debris comes back at you.

ScotchMan
10-09-2020, 11:27 AM
I use the flash hider, I don't like brakes or comps, but like you I don't shoot much unsuppressed so it doesn't matter much.

Default.mp3
10-09-2020, 03:40 PM
It is brilliant that it uses left-handed threading, because it tightens with each shot. I'm not sure this is actually true. I know for handgun suppressors plenty of folks, myself included, where the left handed threading did not prevent the can from coming loose.

ScotchMan
10-12-2020, 09:04 AM
Well, it does here. It is a design feature they advertise, and it works. Maybe I am misunderstanding how it works.

HCM
10-12-2020, 11:07 AM
I have a HX-QD 7.62 mainly for a M1A but have used it for .223 and 6.8. It actually seems quieter on the M1A think it is the better "seal" on the end cap with the larger cal. And while working loads for the 6.8 there was no change in MV or POI with the can on. POI changed some on the M1A but think that was more to the position being used and the extra weight not recoiling as much.

Did using the OSS can on the M1a require a modified gas system as with other suppressors or can you run it stock due to the reduced back pressure ?

Default.mp3
10-12-2020, 11:07 AM
Well, it does here. It is a design feature they advertise, and it works. Maybe I am misunderstanding how it works.Yeah, left-handed threading has long been advertised as such on cans. Whether or not it makes any practical difference, I have yet to see any compelling data about it; the theory behind it seems reasonable, but the real question is whether or not it actually provides any meaningful torque to actually keep the can on. It certainly can't hurt, I'm just not sure it actually really helps.

ScotchMan
10-12-2020, 11:10 AM
Mine doesn't walk off. You can very loosely put the can on, shoot a few shots, and then it requires a ton of force to remove. This is actually what the manual says to do. This is consistent with everything else I've read or seen on in videos. Don't know what else to tell you :)

I could see it being the difference between the overall muzzle energy differences in handgun and rifles, would stand to reason that more energy means more torque applied to the suppressor, but I am just speculating.

Default.mp3
10-12-2020, 11:50 AM
Mine doesn't walk off. You can very loosely put the can on, shoot a few shots, and then it requires a ton of force to remove. This is actually what the manual says to do. This is consistent with everything else I've read or seen on in videos. Don't know what else to tell you :)

I could see it being the difference between the overall muzzle energy differences in handgun and rifles, would stand to reason that more energy means more torque applied to the suppressor, but I am just speculating.Ah, I hadn't been reading too closely, didn't realize that this was a part of a mounting system; this would make sense, as there is way more surface area and much coarser threading, rather than the direct thread cans that go on a left-hand threaded barrel. With a mount designed as such, I could see it working out just fine.

ScotchMan
10-12-2020, 01:50 PM
Oh maybe that's it. Yeah, muzzle device goes on normal (suggested to loc-tite, though I haven't on mine), then suppressor threads onto that lefty.

David S.
10-12-2020, 02:36 PM
https://youtu.be/C4DgnsV-Eqs

M1Garand
10-12-2020, 02:40 PM
Did using the OSS can on the M1a require a modified gas system as with other suppressors or can you run it stock due to the reduced back pressure ?

I did not modify my gas systems, no noticeable difference on brass marking or ejection pattern/distance from M1A 22" or the 16" Socom. I read somewhere back pressure only increases 5% were most cans increase 30%. But in my old age I could have been reading about pellet guns.

As for the LH threads mine has never loosened up I don't have a RH can to compare it to on a rifle. But LH on my pistol will stay tight all day, RH thread need re-tightened every 3-4 mags.

HCM
10-12-2020, 03:28 PM
I did not modify my gas systems, no noticeable difference on brass marking or ejection pattern/distance from M1A 22" or the 16" Socom. I read somewhere back pressure only increases 5% were most cans increase 30%. But in my old age I could have been reading about pellet guns.

As for the LH threads mine has never loosened up I don't have a RH can to compare it to on a rifle. But LH on my pistol will stay tight all day, RH thread need re-tightened every 3-4 mags.

Thanks, I do know M1A’s need a modified gas position to run conventional suppressors due to the increased back pressure.

I could see how the OSS, with its greatly reduced back pressure could work on an un-modified M1A.

JRB
10-14-2020, 10:11 AM
The endcap vents on the OSS cans are angled, so they will physically rotate the can tighter on LH thread each time the weapon is fired. This is why the OSS system works great with LH threading but pistol caliber HK's without vented endcaps can still walk off of the threads.

An OSS .30 cal can is on my short list, whenever I start buying gun stuff again.

David S.
02-06-2022, 09:43 PM
Mile High Shooting has deep discounts on some Helix cans. (https://www.milehighshooting.com/sale-items/?_bc_fsnf=1&brand=232)

I like mine a lot.