PDA

View Full Version : Interesting excavation in Germany

Drang
04-01-2016, 03:49 AM
Slaughter at the bridge: Uncovering a colossal Bronze Age battle | Science | AAAS (http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/03/slaughter-bridge-uncovering-colossal-bronze-age-battle)
If the archaeologists theories are correct, this excavation 100+ miles north of Berlin, indicates a battle involving thousands of men a hundred years before the Trojan War.

About 3200 years ago, two armies clashed at a river crossing near the Baltic Sea. The confrontation can’t be found in any history books—the written word didn’t become common in these parts for another 2000 years—but this was no skirmish between local clans. Thousands of warriors came together in a brutal struggle, perhaps fought on a single day, using weapons crafted from wood, flint, and bronze, a metal that was then the height of military technology.

Struggling to find solid footing on the banks of the Tollense River, a narrow ribbon of water that flows through the marshes of northern Germany toward the Baltic Sea, the armies fought hand-to-hand, maiming and killing with war clubs, spears, swords, and knives. Bronze- and flint-tipped arrows were loosed at close range, piercing skulls and lodging deep into the bones of young men. Horses belonging to high-ranking warriors crumpled into the muck, fatally speared. Not everyone stood their ground in the melee: Some warriors broke and ran, and were struck down from behind.
So much for the theory that warfare did not exist in "pre-history".

In Bronze Age Europe, even the historical accounts of war were lacking, and all investigators had to go on were weapons in ceremonial burials and a handful of mass graves with unmistakable evidence of violence, such as decapitated bodies or arrowheads embedded in bones. Before the 1990s, “for a long time we didn’t really believe in war in prehistory,” DAI’s Hansen says. The grave goods were explained as prestige objects or symbols of power rather than actual weapons. “Most people thought ancient society was peaceful, and that Bronze Age males were concerned with trading and so on,” says Helle Vandkilde, an archaeologist at Aarhus University in Denmark. “Very few talked about warfare.”

Robinson
04-01-2016, 08:27 AM
Interesting article, thanks for posting it. I chuckled at the researchers' surprise about finding evidence of large-scale battles during that time period. Also, the author's suggestion that primitive armor would have required daily training for the soldier to even be able to move in battle is a bit naïve. But still, the article is overall quite good. As usual, the comments are less so.

Jeep
04-01-2016, 08:16 PM
Interesting article, thanks for posting it. I chuckled at the researchers' surprise about finding evidence of large-scale battles during that time period. Also, the author's suggestion that primitive armor would have required daily training for the soldier to even be able to move in battle is a bit naïve. But still, the article is overall quite good. As usual, the comments are less so..

The Egyptians were fighting wars 3200 years ago, as were the Cretans and countless others. The idea that there ever was an age of peace is simply silly; a product of academics who dreamed up visions of societies that existed the way the academics thought societies should exist.. American Indians were, for example, engaging in genocidal wars with stone age weapons when the settlers came to Jamestown, as some inhabitants of New Guinea still are doing.

War is in our DNA. We have always fought wars and always will fight wars.

ACP230
04-01-2016, 08:23 PM
I ran across this last week and found it interesting.
So did my son, the archaeologist.
He is often ahead of me on stuff in his field but he hadn't seen this article.

Odin Bravo One
04-03-2016, 02:59 PM
I'll be up there next month. I'll see if my friends can get access.

smithjd
04-03-2016, 05:51 PM
Reminds me of Cormac McCarthy's writing:

"It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be....
War is the ultimate game because war is at last a forcing of the unity of existence. War is god."
Blood Meridian
Judge Holden, Chapter 17, Page 248.

Odin Bravo One
04-04-2016, 12:07 AM
That was on our graduation plaque.