PDA

View Full Version : Describe your AIWB draw

23JAZ
03-30-2016, 10:02 PM
A recent thread got me thinking. I know what I do during my draw but what do other people do and are they faster (pretty sure that is a yes). That being said how do you guys draw for AIWB?

Luke
03-30-2016, 10:08 PM
Start: hands naturally at sides. On the buzzer: sweep left hand forward and up (think quickly going for the button of your pants) start clearing shirt with thumb trying to get under the shirt, keep back of hand facing outward and start trying to grab shirt with fingers in case thumb misses, while yanking shirt, my right hand has started to come up and hover in the area it needs, as soon as shirt clears gat thrust hand down/in to grab gun (I make a full grab), yank that sucker out and join other strong hand with gat and pew pew. I do like a Half press out. Looks press out ish but don't see sights till the end. I wish I could draw like Todd, his draws always looked so cool.

This was a solid 1 second draw to a uspsa at 7-10.

xmanhockey7
03-31-2016, 12:41 AM
Really not much different than drawing strong side, but it's fast IMO.

STEP 1: Full firing grip on gun.
STEP 2: Bring the gun straight up and high. Hand about at pec level
STEP 3: Begin to drive the gun out while my off hand meets the gun and obtains a grip on the gun.

Randy Harris
03-31-2016, 09:01 AM
Count 1 : Left arm hinges at elbow like a door , sweeping up and toward right pectoral muscle as I grab hem of shirt. Little or no shoulder articulation. Only movement is elbow hinging sweeping hand upward in an arc toward right pec/collarbone area. I want to make sure the garment gets well clear of the gun.

As this is happening my right hand goes to pistol grip establishing full firing grip with thumb flagged (I keep the thumb up while shooting and it is easier to draw not sticking my thumb down my pants between gun and body).

Count 2: Lift pistol straight up to pec level , flagged thumb contacting right side of pec.

Count 3 :Rotate muzzle toward target (without dropping the elbow) and start it moving toward target. Support hand "gets on the bus" at this point if needed.

Count :4 Drive in straight line toward target to extension taking up slack and prepping trigger if the decision to shoot has been made.

Mr_White
03-31-2016, 10:10 AM
yank that sucker out and join other strong hand with gat and pew pew

Lolololololol, I love it!

Mr_White
03-31-2016, 10:20 AM
A recent thread got me thinking. I know what I do during my draw but what do other people do and are they faster (pretty sure that is a yes). That being said how do you guys draw for AIWB?

I have a real problem in life using So Many Words.

A picture is worth a thousand words and it's a lot less typing, so here you go.

This video shows a few draw variations that are popular, at least here at PF. The draw I current do I called the "Direct Draw" in the video, but it really just amounts to the good old four count defensive drawstroke (though without the 2 for my appendix draw.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQqgdeGhsx8

This video shows me doing that same draw to a couple different targets for a couple different tasks. It was shot with a high speed camera generously lent from a friend, because a lot of times what we think we do isn't what we actually do. I made this particular video to allow verification of when I actually put my finger on the trigger during the draw - whole separate discussion there, but I was pretty happy that my self-perception was correct. But high speed video = lots of detail visible in my draw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rc7s-z7RBw

GRV
03-31-2016, 03:11 PM
Be very careful going off descriptions of draws or any other technique. Words are a really wacky thing, and it has severely bit me before.

I'm extremely hesitant now to adopt anything without pictures or video (circumstances depending).

Not to say these descriptions are bad, on the contrary they're awesome, and I personally appreciate anything that gets me thinking and experimenting with technique. I'm just sharing an "ask me how I know" warning for any other wide-eyed eager learners out there like me who may be attempted to build technique by attempting to mimic what they're (only) reading.

voodoo_man
03-31-2016, 03:50 PM
I've described and heard it described as a "rightfuckingnow" moment but having just enough control that you don't shoot yourself or anything you don't want to shoot.

Other than that, the actual technique will vary by preference and body type.

45dotACP
03-31-2016, 04:40 PM
I pull the shirt up and back so it's flush with my body so I don't get a handful if shirt in my gunhand. Otherwise, I try to get the gun out and shooting quicklike.

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

23JAZ
03-31-2016, 08:31 PM
I have a real problem in life using So Many Words.

A picture is worth a thousand words and it's a lot less typing, so here you go.

This video shows a few draw variations that are popular, at least here at PF. The draw I current do I called the "Direct Draw" in the video, but it really just amounts to the good old four count defensive drawstroke (though without the 2 for my appendix draw.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQqgdeGhsx8

This video shows me doing that same draw to a couple different targets for a couple different tasks. It was shot with a high speed camera generously lent from a friend, because a lot of times what we think we do isn't what we actually do. I made this particular video to allow verification of when I actually put my finger on the trigger during the draw - whole separate discussion there, but I was pretty happy that my self-perception was correct. But high speed video = lots of detail visible in my draw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rc7s-z7RBw
This is awesom thank you Gabe.