PDA

View Full Version : What Round for a Big Cheese?

Glenn E. Meyer
03-30-2016, 08:22 PM
As mentioned in the expensive hobby thread - I'm a cheese fanatic. Thus, I was watching an episode of cheese slices on the tube (http://www.lifestylefood.com.au/tv/cheese-slices/episode.aspx?id=314558). I don't see where it is downloadable for free.

Anyway, the host goes to an artisanal producer in Wensleydale. After seeing the cheese, the farmer says that the rural cheese makers have a tradition. When a big old cheese goes bad, they take it out and blow it up. This is done with a rifle. So off they go with a big stinker. The farmer uses what he says is Winchester SPF-1 ammo as it has the best ballistic tip for blowing up cheese. The rifle had a nice scope and suppressor. Boom and a nice high speed cheese explosion. Maybe that's a better test than gel? The show host gets to try and puts his eye on the scope - OUCH. He took it in good stride and the farmer apologized.

I guess you need a suppressor as not to scare the other cheese back in the cave.

Chuck Haggard
03-30-2016, 08:35 PM
I think a .220 Swift would do

SeriousStudent
03-30-2016, 08:43 PM
Go big or go home:

http://www.extremeshockammo.com/pistolammo.html

1slow
03-30-2016, 11:37 PM
.50 BMG with a bullet the late Skip Talbot talked about.
Take the appropriate diameter empty rifle case, plug primer hole, fill it with compressed #12 Birdshot, swage it with a series of dies to the correct profile, load it as a projectile in a .50 BMG round.
He said this would make pink mist and pieces out of a coyote.

gringop
03-31-2016, 01:26 AM
I thought this was going to be about shooting McDonald's characters...:(

It could have been a Brie for all.

Gringop

Trooper224
03-31-2016, 01:34 AM
There are television shows about cheese?

Chuck Haggard
03-31-2016, 05:25 AM
Oooh, I once invented the rocket propelled, impact detonated, shotgun slug. Only a few were ever built, but they sure were fun.

ACP230
03-31-2016, 07:25 AM
WWII Boyes anti-tank rifle was the first thing that came to mind.

Robinson
03-31-2016, 07:42 AM
Wensleydale?

"I'm very sorry but I'm going to have to shoot you." BANG! "Sigh, such a senseless waste of cheese."

BehindBlueI's
03-31-2016, 05:29 PM
Cheese goes bad? I thought going bad is how cheese becomes cheese.

Glenn E. Meyer
04-01-2016, 11:04 AM
Depends on the bugs - the wrong ones can be dangerous, taste bad or cause the cheese to rot internally. As to a previous question - yes, there are shows on cheese on the tube. There are also specialized Japanese food shows. All on the more obscure cable channels. I prefer them to some of the 'gun TV shows' with doofuses and/or perverts running gun stores.

Beer, Liquor and Wine - controlled rot of grain and grapes.

Jared
04-01-2016, 11:34 AM
I think a .220 Swift would do

220 Swift, 50 gr bullet, some of them old loads with IMR 4064 that'll crank that 50 grainer up to 4K fps.......

Now I miss my old Swift....

Lester Polfus
04-01-2016, 12:27 PM
My understanding is that rotten cheese is used as a bio-weapon by Curdish resistance fighters.

BehindBlueI's
04-01-2016, 01:28 PM
My understanding is that rotten cheese is used as a bio-weapon by Curdish resistance fighters.

Whey too dangerous in the wrong hands...

That Guy
04-01-2016, 05:06 PM
Oh great. Now I have a new life goal: to some day, reach into a gun safe, pull out a weapon, and say "...and this here is my cheese rifle."

JAD
04-01-2016, 05:20 PM
What could go better together than .50 Fat Mac and cheese?

Glenn E. Meyer
04-01-2016, 08:35 PM
Oh great. Now I have a new life goal: to some day, reach into a gun safe, pull out a weapon, and say "...and this here is my cheese rifle."

Make sure you have your cheese knife clipped to your cargo pants. Never know when you have to cut the cheese. Some of these would work well and be acceptable in a NPE - as long as you have a Gouda with you.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/wusthof-classic-3-piece-cheese-knife-set/?pkey=ccheese-knives&&ccheese-knives

--- BTW, tactical folders and food. I was giving a talk to a large group. I sat at the podium and yakked while the crowd ate. Someone brought me my rubber chicken. When I sat down for the next speaker, I found they gave me a fork but no knife. So I used my Delica - this crowd didn't blink.