PDA

View Full Version : Looking at 3 different Rugers

Eastex
03-30-2016, 04:26 PM
I'm getting the itch to get my first full size revolver. I've narrowed it down to three different Rugers. Two are GP 100s, the Match Champion and the Wiley Clapp. One plus for them is that I'm already set up and reloading 38 and 357. The other one is the Redhawk with the 4.2 inch barrel chambered in 45 LC/45 ACP. The plus for it is that I've always wanted a big bore and that round butt frame feels great in the hand. I could also use the 45 LC to chase hogs and other assorted critters. Honestly I'm leaning towards the Redhawk for the moon clipped 45 ACP too because I really enjoyed that part of my 9mm LCR although I'm hoping the 45 doesn't have the same crimp jumping issues my LCR had.
So what I'd like is any personal experiences and observations because I get more from reading here than I get on the other more "fan boy" type forums not to mention hearing from the "just buy a Glock 19" guy, they're fine, just not what I want. I won't even mention how useless reading the gun mags are, we all know that. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

okie john
03-30-2016, 07:07 PM
Any of those would be good choices. I can’t speak to the 357’s, but I have a fair amount of trigger time 44- and 45-caliber revolvers. An interchangable cylinder makes a revolver more versatile, but that versatility comes at a price.

I traded into a 45 ACP cylinder for my Ruger Bisley once. The POIs for the 45 ACP and the 45 Colt differed enough that I had to rezero every time I switched cylinders. They moved even farther apart with the barn-burner loads that are possible and safe in a Ruger 45 Colt revolver, so I ended up getting rid of the ACP cylinder to focus on the 45 Colt. (My Bisley did not have the Redhawk's interchangeable front sight, which might make re-zeroing a little easier, so there’s that.) After a few more years with the 45 Colt, I went to the 44 Magnum and have stayed with it since. It has more than enough power for anything that I need it to do, and good ammo is far easier to find.

I might reconsider the 45 Colt if I were going to handload and hunt close to home. If I had an endless supply of free 45 ACP, then I’d count my blessings and I might even build a revolver just for that. It’s a great cartridge, and it does 99% of what I need a revolver to do.

Okie John

45dotACP
03-30-2016, 07:31 PM
I like the idea of a 45LC/ACP gun but honestly, 45 auto is still pricey as is and I'd probably wind up just handloading for the 45LC and forgetting about the 45 ACP and moonclips unless I were shooting a gun game...

And in that case, I wouldn't be shooting a 6 shot major revolver :D

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

Jared
03-30-2016, 07:40 PM
So, I've got both the GP100's you mentioned as well as a regular 4" GP. I like the balance of the "special" ones a little better. It's more back toward my hands and not so muzzle heavy. I'm also fond of the Novak rear sights on both.

But, believe it or not, the boring standard 4" gun has the best DA trigger of the 3. Come to think of it, it's got the best Ruger out of the box DA trigger I've ever tried. I just got some new grips for it today, and I'm looking at ordering a new front sight from Dawson.

Sadly, the "special" GP's don't have the easy change front sight and I'm not sure what works with that dovetail. I'm not a big fan of the huge fiber optic rod on my Match Champ. I do really like the brass bead on the Wiley Clapp though.

So all in all, I'm not selling any of them, nor either of my SP101's. But when I get the grips on my boring one and get a different front sight that lets me have some bigger light bars in the sight picture, the boring one has the potential to be my favorite one.

I guess I'm trying to say try before you buy, or at the very least dry fire a bit before you buy. A plain Jane boring GP might be the ticket.

GJM
03-30-2016, 09:12 PM
I haven Bowen Alpine conversions in .44 and .45 LC. A round butt ruins recoil control with heavier cartridges.

Eastex
03-30-2016, 09:55 PM
I wonder if anyone makes a truly consistent trigger in revolvers? I know that I picked through a couple of PC 642s before I found mine and the trigger on it felt way better than the others.
As far as the heavier loads in 45 LC I'm in east Texas so hogs and maybe a whitetail deer would be the largest things I'd be going after.
I suppose I should throw another Ruger on the list. That 4.2 SP 101 in 327 Federal looks like a fun knock around gun too. It's another multi caliber reloaders special, maybe the ultimate one with all the different rounds it'll chamber.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BehindBlueI's
03-30-2016, 10:20 PM
I own all 3. The Wiley Clapp is one of my favorite guns. It is just a lot of fun to shoot, gorgeous, and I take a lot of pride in it. The MC is also a very nice gun. I like it quite a bit as well, but would part with it before the WC.

The .45/.45 Redhawk is my least favorite, as an understatement. It's annoying. The stock trigger is not nearly as nice as the GP100/Super Redhawk trigger system. It is ammo sensitive. I'm waiting for Bowen to get their machinist situation sorted so I can get a longer firing pin installed and a trigger job. Right now it just sits in the safe. That's after a warranty replacement, the first one was out of spec and was even more ammo sensitive. If you reload, the Redhawk may not be for you if you don't want to pay Bowen to make it reliable or be very very careful about primers and seating depth.

Bigghoss
03-30-2016, 11:18 PM
I have a standard GP100, really like that gun but the WC and MC GP's are about the same price as a 686 which is the same size as the GP but can be had in a 7-shot. I say go for the Redhawk.

Chuck Whitlock
04-03-2016, 10:13 AM
I haven Bowen Alpine conversions in .44 and .45 LC. A round butt ruins recoil control with heavier cartridges.

This was a helpful tidbit, George.

GJM
04-03-2016, 10:33 AM
I did the Alpine .45 LC first, and made sure my second Alpine in .44 had the square butt. I keep it around with hot Garrett ammo, for when bears are around and no long gun is possible.