PDA

View Full Version : My Delica is like my old knees lately - stiff

Glenn E. Meyer
03-28-2016, 02:36 PM
I have a Delica that is quite a few years old. In the last month or so, it has become like my knees. Very stiff to open when before it was quite smooth. I sprayed it with a cleaner, ran it through hot soapy water and tried a few drops of CLP. Whatever - in the morning, it is so stiff. If you open it a few times, it loosens up but gets stiff again in a small amount of time. I supposed there may be some gook in there but it isn't one that you can take apart.

Ideas?

Hizzie
03-28-2016, 02:40 PM
At your age you should be happy that at least something is stiff.

:cool:

Ultrasonic cleaner maybe? Email spyderco?

Glenn E. Meyer
03-28-2016, 02:50 PM
Haha. I was going to try Spyderco but I thought many of the great wits here would have an idea.

41magfan
03-28-2016, 02:55 PM
I'm just thinking out loud here .... perhaps the pivot bushing (I would think it has one) is toast?

It might be worth $5 to send it back for warranty work if you can't get it to loosen up.
https://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/index.php?item=10

OnionsAndDragons
03-28-2016, 04:13 PM
I'm just thinking out loud here .... perhaps the pivot bushing (I would think it has one) is toast?

It might be worth $5 to send it back for warranty work if you can't get it to loosen up.

This is your best bet.

If a clean and lube didn't get it working right, your pivot or the torsion bar is probably going out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ST911
03-28-2016, 11:57 PM

Do that. It's worth it for the needed and PM, along with the factory sharpening. Their CS is GTG.

donlapalma
03-29-2016, 12:38 AM
Another vote for sending it in. That's what I did and was very happy that I did. It was fast, easy, and the blade was sharp like new when I got it back.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Dropkick
03-29-2016, 10:29 AM
If you have some Torx drivers it's easy enough to open up, clean out and lube. I've done it before with my trainers when they get sand in them and you can hear it grinding on opening.

Glenn E. Meyer
03-29-2016, 04:21 PM
This old boy is pre-torx. I have the drivers and my trainer is torxed. This one has rivets it seems. I'm going to send it in.

Thanks for the hints, folks!

olstyn
03-29-2016, 07:06 PM
If a clean and lube didn't get it working right, your pivot or the torsion bar is probably going out.

That was exactly what happened with my Kershaw Leek. It started stiffening up, so I took it apart to clean it and lube it, put it back together, and it only got worse. Took it apart again later and the torsion bar came apart in my hands. Thankfully KAI sent me a new one gratis, and it's back to 100%. I ended up reading quite a bit about torsion bar failures in assisted opening knives, and it almost seems like they should be considered a wear/replacement item that's only good for a certain number of open/close cycles.

JAD
03-29-2016, 09:27 PM
I use spydie service a lot. They sharpen better than I can and I am hell on clips. Recommended. It's also a good excuse to have a spare knife or twenty.

BillSWPA
03-29-2016, 11:58 PM
If you like Delicas (and I certainly do), give some serious thought to the waved version. The licensed Spyderco rendition of the Emerson wave is bigger, more reliable, and gentler on clothing than the Emerson version. Wave opening is significantly simpler, faster, and more reliable than thumb opening, and I generally find the Spyderco thumbhole to be one of the better designed opening devices.

I have two: one set up for right side carry, and the other set up for left side carry. One or both is clipped in a pocket most of the time.

Dropkick
03-30-2016, 07:43 AM
If you like Delicas (and I certainly do), give some serious thought to the waved version. The licensed Spyderco rendition of the Emerson wave is bigger, more reliable, and gentler on clothing than the Emerson version. Wave opening is significantly simpler, faster, and more reliable than thumb opening, and I generally find the Spyderco thumbhole to be one of the better designed opening devices.

Truth!

warpedcamshaft
03-30-2016, 01:51 PM
The waved Delica is great.

I probably wouldn't recommend the waved Endura, but the Delica with the Emerson opener is probably my favorite folding knife.

BillSWPA
03-30-2016, 08:59 PM
The waved Delica is great.

I probably wouldn't recommend the waved Endura, but the Delica with the Emerson opener is probably my favorite folding knife.

I also have and like the waved Enduras. Without trying to be argumentative, I am curious about why.

OnionsAndDragons
03-31-2016, 12:31 PM
I think the waved Delica opens better and more reliably than the Endura version, IME.

I still like them both, but that has been my observation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

warpedcamshaft
03-31-2016, 04:03 PM
I also have and like the waved Enduras. Without trying to be argumentative, I am curious about why.

I should have been more specific.

For some reason, with the balance of momentum from an aggressive pocket opening and the lock characteristics I have had it bounce off/out of lock and close halfway on my hand several times. I've also compared the tension on the lock with my other 2 Endura's and they all seem about the same. I can actually hear the lock chatter and re-lock from decently quick extractions with the wave. I know this is all adjustable, but I simply didn't want to mess with it.

I have never had the Delica to do the same thing, and it "feels" different when it deploys.

I'll get around to adjusting/fixing the Endura some day... but I have a pile of Spyderco knives to play with.