PDA

View Full Version : Glock G43 and +2 base plate issues/malfunctions

gqllc007
03-27-2016, 08:21 PM
I purchased a new G43 and installed ameriglo night sights and ghost edge connector. I have 4 mags all the number 1 mags. Two I left stock OEM6 rounders and one I put on taran tactical +2 base plate (with new spring provided) and the other strike industries EMP G43 +2 second gen base plate (with a spare brand new taran tactical spring).
With FMJ 115gr winchester white boxes everything performed flawlessly. G-43 shot great, sights were great and ghost edge worked well. I tried out Federal HST 124gr +P, Federal HST 147gr, Federal HST 147 +P and Speer 124 +P gold dots. They all performed flawlessly out of the OEM 6 rounders. The Federal HST 147 +P consistently shot the tighter groups while all were acceptable groups.
BUT in either of the +2 mag extensions I had consistent failure to feed with ALL the different self defense loads. Most failure to feeds were on the last 7th or 8th round.
So I replaced the stronger springs with the factory 6 round spring and +2 base pads and I had greater failures. Some were at the second round, some the fourth and some last seven or eighth. Just to make sure I used my other OEM 6 rounders and again all self defense loads functioned flawlessly.
For me I could only get the FMJ to perform with the +2 base pads. ALL of the self defense loads had failure to feed issues with the +2 base pads with either stock spring or taran tactical supplied spring.
Next time I head to the range I am trying the pearce grip +1 extension and stock OEM 6 round springs.
Anyone else have these issues with the +2 base pads and self defense loads?

LSP972
03-27-2016, 08:34 PM
While there hasn't been any empirical proof of it, many of us who suffered similar malfunctions with the G43 and magazine extenders have concluded that the weaker springs, as the last couple of rounds are elevated to feed position, are allowing the slide to overrun the feeding process with +P ammunition. The hotter ammo gives increased slide velocity. I had two such malfs with 124gr +P HST and the Taran +2s, but that was with the OEM six round springs. I have since gotten the stronger, replacement springs from Taran, have restricted the gun to standard pressure ammunition (various WWB/Federal Champion/my reloads; 124gr Gold Dot standard velocity for carry), and have had no recurrent malfunctions.

I suggest you do the same; lose the +P stuff, try some standard velocity JHP "carry" ammo, and see if that doesn't solve your problem.

gqllc007
03-27-2016, 08:38 PM
I had it happen with Federal HST 147 gr NON +P ammo as well with Taran's replacment spring

tanner
03-27-2016, 08:47 PM
Didn't have any problems with the TTI +2s until I replaced the factory springs with the stronger TTI springs. Then I encountered the same malfunction that the OP did. The 8th round wouldn't chamber. No issues with the OEM magazine.

Hoping to get some more time on the gun and see if more cycles on the TTI springs help the problem.

YVK
03-27-2016, 11:25 PM
I restricted myself to OEM mags and TTI +2 extensions downloaded by 1. The latter is just for reload purposes. I ran +P though those just fine but I prefer regular pressure HST or Gold Dots.

Backspin
03-27-2016, 11:58 PM
When it comes to mag extension/spring combos, I use the stock mag as a baseline. Basically, if the spring tension feels weaker than a stock mag, I feel the combo is likely not going to be reliable in the long run.

Taran's spring will actually settle to the same length as the stock spring. It is made of thicker wire, so it will give slightly more spring tension than a stock spring. However, when used with his +2 exention, the tension still feels weaker than stock.

In my TTI +2's I use Ghost's extended spring. Takes some work to get the 8th round in at first, but it works well after the spring breaks in.

For the pierce +1's I use a TTI spring as insurance. Keeps the overall spring tension slightly heavier than a stock mag's.

I'll echo the above comment to not use +P ammo with the G43. Vast majority of the stoppages I've had with the G43 was using mag extensions and +p ammo.

msstate56
03-28-2016, 04:14 AM
I've had issues with the TTI +2 base plates for my 43, as well as their +3/4 on the G17 magazines. I honestly think it has to do with the change in the angle of the rounds in the magazine. If you look, the angle of the stack in the extension is different from the angle of the mag body. I sent back all my TTI extensions. I'm now testing out the Tango Down +2 extensions.

BN
03-28-2016, 08:07 AM
Does your little finger press against the extension when you shoot?

I have a Kahr PM9 that runs OK with the 6 round mag, but when I use any of the 7 round factory mags with the extension, I have failures to feed. My theory was that my hand pressing against the longer mag changed the way the round fed slightly.

My G-43 mags are all 6 round factory and they have run fine to this point.

03-28-2016, 11:23 AM
Try the Vickers Tactical +2's. Has been working for me.

Chuck Haggard
03-28-2016, 01:29 PM
"Fails to feed"? Is the nose of the round stubbed into the front of the magazine below the actual feedramp? If so, much like what happens with the gen 3 G22s, your slide is outrunning your magazine's ability to feed up the next round.

BN
03-28-2016, 01:59 PM
"Fails to feed"? Is the nose of the round stubbed into the front of the magazine below the actual feedramp? If so, much like what happens with the gen 3 G22s, your slide is outrunning your magazine's ability to feed up the next round.

It's either the magazine or the feed ramp. It's some form of nose dive. It never happens until I am doing a timed exercise. :( I can clear it by yanking the slide back and releasing it. I should examine it closer some time, but the Kahr has been put on the sideline in favor of the G-43. I have a Kel-Tec P-11 that does the same thing when I shoot it weak hand only.

Would a stronger recoil spring or magazine spring help. I think I put a heavier recoil spring in the Kahr PM9.

Drew78
03-30-2016, 03:11 PM
So is the Ghost +15% mag spring stronger than the spring shipped with the TTI +2 extension?

Backspin
03-30-2016, 03:42 PM
Yes, the Ghost springs are stronger. The Ghost springs have 3 more coils than the TTI or Stock springs.

Drew78
03-30-2016, 04:59 PM
Thank you. Is Wolff making any that would be better at alleviating this problem or is Ghost the way to go based on your experience?

gqllc007
03-30-2016, 05:54 PM
Thank you. Is Wolff making any that would be better at alleviating this problem or is Ghost the way to go based on your experience?

I just got my Ghost extension in today. Not the most comfortable near the heel of the hand but if it allows +2 rounds of self defense ammo then that is a good thing

Drew78
03-30-2016, 10:15 PM
I just got my Ghost extension in today. Not the most comfortable near the heel of the hand but if it allows +2 rounds of self defense ammo then that is a good thing

Thank you. I'm good on my extensions. TTI +2 and Pearce +1. I'm looking for mag springs only.

GJM
03-30-2016, 11:21 PM
Glock did significant reliability testing, prior to the release of the 43. That testing was with OEM magazines. No disrespect to Taran, as they have many good products, but you are the reliability tester of the Taran base plates. Since this is a defense, not a game gun, the consequences might be significant.

LSP972
03-31-2016, 07:07 AM
No disrespect to Taran, as they have many good products, but WE are the reliability tester of the Taran base plates.

FIFY.

One of the mags I got from LSP552 has the Taran +2 and the OEM six-rounder spring. The rest of my mags with the Taran have the slightly longer spring Taran now provides. I shot all of these the other day, over 200 rounds of various reloads and factory ammunition (but no +P) with nary a bobble. So I wouldn't hesitate to use any of them for real.

However, as has been mentioned elswhere, the big question is... how long a service life on these springs? Because in these little guns, spring strength, across the board, is apparently more important than in the service-size pistols.

In any event, my two G43s are back in the safe. After a lot of thought, I decided to quit whining about the weight of the compact service pistols, MTFU, and continue carrying them. I have lightweight revolvers for when my health deteriorates to the point I really have something to whine about.

23JAZ
03-31-2016, 08:21 AM
I still don't understand why Glock doesn't offer an 8 round mag for the 43. They'd sell like hotcakes!

Drew78
03-31-2016, 08:54 AM
I still don't understand why Glock doesn't offer an 8 round mag for the 43. They'd sell like hotcakes!

This. I'd be down for several. I'm sure we will see them, but in about 4 years knowing glock.

Maybe...

martin_j001
03-31-2016, 09:24 AM
I have a Taran +2 on my G43 and so far it's been fine, even with Federal HST 124 (not +P). Picked up one of the Strike/EMP +2's to check out, put one of Taran's stronger springs in it and still need to get it to the range to check out.

LSP972
03-31-2016, 10:09 AM
Supposedly they are doing a ten rounder. But I won't be holding my breath either, Drew.

Drew78
03-31-2016, 03:04 PM
Supposedly they are doing a ten rounder. But I won't be holding my breath either, Drew.

Without divulging anything sensitive, was this from a official Glock source?

LSP972
03-31-2016, 08:09 PM
Without divulging anything sensitive, was this from a official Glock source?

Nope. Industry type.

Greg
03-31-2016, 09:36 PM
I'm waiting for the 33 round single stack mag :cool:

BigT
04-01-2016, 07:11 AM
Are the Taran +1's faring better?

Drew78
04-01-2016, 10:42 AM
I thought I read somewhere that the glock 6rd mags were really like 6.75 round mags. In other words, they are really close to being 7 rounders but not quite. So this may lead us to believe that a +1 with oem spring should yield reliable performance. Ymmv.

Greg
04-01-2016, 09:54 PM
I've had excellent luck with both Taran and Pearce +1 baseplates. 2900-3000 rounds with ZERO malfunctions. I'm using the OEM spring that comes with the mags.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-6gx-H7UcvkE/VacZxqlK4aI/AAAAAAAAC2I/pfPmF7qfIPUwkCa7krGBWDxN_B8pe1InACCo/s912-Ic42/IMG_0306.jpg

I only put a couple hundred rounds through the G43 with the stock 6 round mags before adding the Tarans and later the Pearce +1s. At least 500 rounds were 124 gr. hollowpoints. I have not shot 147s out of the 43.

abu fitna
04-03-2016, 06:12 PM
Have been running the TT +2 baseplate on a Glock 43 training magazine for about nine months now or so; using factory OEM spring (as this was installed before TT changed to supply its own spring with extension.) I have been very wary of the mod based on other reported issues, but had not personally experienced these until the past few hundred rounds. Magazine has been stored loaded the entire duration of the test.

Three failures to feed were encountered, with Gold Dot 124gr +P. Two FTF occurred on slidelock reload, and one on second round in string of fire (strong hand only). The top edge of the hollowpoint round impacted below the feed ramp in each instance.

Magazine has been deadlined for anything other than testing (likely in other example weapons down the road)

Malfunctions are consistent with theory that has been proposed weight of spring not sufficient to address faster slide velocity at plus P pressures.

Recoil spring life may also be an unknown variable here; RSA has not been changed in what is nearly 5K rounds. Suspect slide velocity also raises questions of lubrication as variable; weapon had not been cleaned or lubricated in nearly 2K rounds since last cleaning (at 3K round count).

It should be noted that the deadlined magazine in the same session in which these malfunctions occurred had previously fired approximately 50 rounds of Federal 124 gr HST standard pressure and four hundred rounds of mixed FMJ / ball types, including American Eagle, Winchester white box, Herter's nylon jacketed, and Tula steel case.

Will be trying the Vickers +2 baseplate on other magazines as a possible replacement.

Weapon will be cleaned, lubricated, and RSA will be replaced.