PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for left over building materials?

BehindBlueI's
03-27-2016, 02:25 PM
After building some storage space in the basement, I have the following items left over:

10 - 8' 2x4s, plus a few short scraps
2 - full sheets of 7/16" OSB
1- 4' x 4' piece of peg board
1- 6'x 4' piece of 1/8" pressed board (like you use to make the bottom of shelves)

Misc hardware from various projects to include various sizes of nails and screws, wood glue, 2 matching hinges, a locking latch

I'm thinking of making a locking cabinet for ammo boxes. Any other ideas?

SeriousStudent
03-27-2016, 02:40 PM
Do you reload? If so, additional storage for primers, power and projectiles might be handy.

Spare parts organizer?

Holder for range gear? Target stands, targets, etc.

Perhaps something unrelated to firearms (gasp).... like Christmas decorations, etc?

If you have enough spare materialism, you could hold some of your extra/leftover holsters? <joke>

1slow
03-27-2016, 05:17 PM
Range props, barricades etc....

okie john
03-27-2016, 06:14 PM
Hang on to it in case of storm damage. I'd add a few sheets of plywood, a couple of huge tarps, 100' of nylon rope, and several pounds of 16d nails.

Okie John

rob_s
03-27-2016, 06:31 PM
I have an 8'x4' rolling work table in the shop. If you have the space, that's what I'd recommend. I'm absolutely loving mine. My built in work bench doesn't even get used now.

BehindBlueI's
03-27-2016, 08:15 PM
Do you reload? If so, additional storage for primers, power and projectiles might be handy.

Spare parts organizer?

Holder for range gear? Target stands, targets, etc.

Perhaps something unrelated to firearms (gasp).... like Christmas decorations, etc?

If you have enough spare materialism, you could hold some of your extra/leftover holsters? <joke>

Kinda went this route.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb183/Docwagon1776/Shared/20160327_202706_zpst2qjlmcz.jpg

What's in the box, man?

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb183/Docwagon1776/Shared/20160327_202734_zps5ur3t9vm.jpg

Just some shelves, chill.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb183/Docwagon1776/Shared/20160327_202820_zpssoxfbw5p.jpg

I'm going to put a half shelf in the bottom part as well tomorrow. I've got everything cut but the plywood, and I'm not going out in the rain/hail for the sawhorses.

So, shelves spaced for ammo cans, the plan is loaded ammo in the bottom and components/reloading supplies in the top. I'll continue to store powder separately from primers and loaded ammo, but everything else will go in the box. It does lock, yes I'm clear it's not a safe or even a security cabinet, but it'll keep house guests of the youngster out of it at least. Range bag will go in the bottom, I'm thinking peg board containers for magazines. I want to add one of those sticky lights that you touch to make it come on as well.

BehindBlueI's
03-28-2016, 04:05 PM
If you ever want to know how much ammo you actually have...move it.

I installed the last shelf this morning and started moving stuff in. I found I had roughly double the amount of .44 magnum brass I thought I did, as a large freezer bag was under my tumbler media in the milk crate I used for storing such things. I've also got to stop bringing .40 brass home. I'm good on .40 brass. Definitely good on .40.

On a related note, I've reclaimed an entire shelf in my closet by moving empty gun boxes to the new cabinet. Do you guys save the box the gun came in? The new blow-mold plastic cases from Sig take up so damn much room, but I've always got the nagging "but if you sell it..." feeling. Do you even care if it comes with the box? I've got every Ruger box, still, as well.