PDA

View Full Version : Clinch Pick Sheath/Spare magazine combo?

Flamingo
03-25-2016, 11:39 PM
The question Hizzie had regarding the CP sheath got me thinking about how to carry a spare magazine. I think that a combination of a IWB mag holder with an external CP sheath would be the bee's knees. Maybe the mag holder could act like the wings on a paddle holster. Is there such a thing?

Jackdog
03-26-2016, 09:18 PM
Persecsystems.com have one coming out in their MARCC line of mag carriers. I have no experience with their gear. Just saw it on a FB group I'm a member of. I find it interesting as you can run the mag carrier and sheath as a standalone gear or mated together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GRV
03-26-2016, 10:10 PM
Persecsystems.com have one coming out in their MARCC line of mag carriers. I have no experience with their gear. Just saw it on a FB group I'm a member of. I find it interesting as you can run the mag carrier and sheath as a standalone gear or mated together.

Pics?

Jackdog
03-26-2016, 10:44 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160327/0f1abda0bca28a0f8c7daf18b01a15c1.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160327/f1323a09d53586bc15bb16654ab5c982.jpg

Hope these come thru. I'm on my iPhone and in the air.

Jackdog
03-26-2016, 10:45 PM
Two more

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160327/59be6b55ac2f0bdbb01d30bc2ff54aab.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160327/adb7a3b294c11094bbc256481ee41f0a.jpg

GRV
03-26-2016, 10:52 PM
Thanks. Looks like it'd work with the JM AIWB SPMP too...

JPedersen
04-04-2016, 06:43 AM
Yes! I will be keeping eyes out for this.

SLG
04-04-2016, 06:55 AM
I had a custom version of this made up a couple of years ago, by one of my favorite holster makers who you guys know. The concept may work for you, idk. It absolutely did not work for me. Concealment was just not the same. The mag underneath the CP pushes it out just far enough to not work.

orionz06
04-04-2016, 07:09 AM
I had a custom version of this made up a couple of years ago, by one of my favorite holster makers who you guys know. The concept may work for you, idk. It absolutely did not work for me. Concealment was just not the same. The mag underneath the CP pushes it out just far enough to not work.

There are lots of quirks. I've always found the combined units to almost be good enough in both instances.

I'll have something soon that should a little better for both the pouch and sheath.

GRV
04-04-2016, 08:08 AM

I expected that :/ Concealment in that position when running a gun (with or without an AIWB mag) is already marginal enough for me.

A little off topic, but you guys that are running CPs grip down centerline, does that not interfere with clearing your shirt at speed?

Tom, I know I just told you days ago that the CP sheath worked out, but lately working on my draw I've realized that that position requires too precise a shirt clear for my comfort, otherwise it jams it up. So, for now, I've gone back to the left side "samurai position" I mentioned to you, using Ban's sheath. It's actually pretty funky the way I have it set up, and relies on going between the belt and pants and through a belt loop.

GRV
04-04-2016, 08:09 AM
There are lots of quirks. I've always found the combined units to almost be good enough in both instances.

I'll have something soon that should a little better for both the pouch and sheath.

Very curious to see this.

ETA: I have this wicked habit of getting caught as the last post of a page, or first of a next page... I'm reposting my question here for visibility:

A little off topic, but you guys that are running CPs grip down centerline, does that not interfere with clearing your shirt at speed?

Hizzie
04-04-2016, 08:20 AM

NOW you say something? Where were you a week ago???

Jackdog
04-04-2016, 08:33 AM

I've been waiting for this!!

orionz06
04-04-2016, 08:48 AM
NOW you say something? Where were you a week ago???

You should stalk harder... You'll find pics.

SLG
04-04-2016, 01:13 PM
I expected that :/ Concealment in that position when running a gun (with or without an AIWB mag) is already marginal enough for me.

Tom, I know I just told you days ago that the CP sheath worked out, but lately working on my draw I've realized that that position requires too precise a shirt clear for my comfort, otherwise it jams it up. So, for now, I've gone back to the left side "samurai position" I mentioned to you, using Ban's sheath. It's actually pretty funky the way I have it set up, and relies on going between the belt and pants and through a belt loop.

No problems clearing at all.

Cecil Burch
04-04-2016, 02:11 PM
No problems clearing at all.

I have never had a problem clearing a shirt wearing a CP ever, regardless of shirt type.

Trajan
04-04-2016, 02:59 PM
I've had tighter shirts catch on my Reverse with a chopped handle carried CP style. Issue is solved by either pulling harder, or wearing a looser shirt.

Haven't had that happen with my china pick in a Dark Star Gear sheath that I can remember.

Wondering Beard
04-04-2016, 03:13 PM

Not at all. I've also done it with a Watson Mini Bowie, a full size Watson HiTS and a compact (now called normal sized) Watson HiTS -which is my daily carry knife-, and I've had no problems.

ssb
04-04-2016, 07:57 PM

Sometimes yes. It happens more frequently with my DSG sheath than my Keeper's Concealment sheath. The DSG sheath will stay caught and rotate with the shirt, whereas the Keepers sheath will not. I like the way the DSG conceals, as it rides higher. Really not sure if there's a solution to that problem, given the design of the DSG sheath.

Hizzie
04-05-2016, 05:12 AM
Not at all. I've also done it with a Watson Mini Bowie, a full size Watson HiTS and a compact (now called normal sized) Watson HiTS -which is my daily carry knife-, and I've had no problems.

Opposite here. Tried a HiTS CP style and in training it fucked the dog. Kept catching my shirt and fouling my draw in close quarters.

Dropkick
04-05-2016, 08:22 AM
In my experience mag pouch / sheath combos that are "soft" joined seem to work better than those that are "hard" joined.
"Soft" being things like: PTD soft loops, shock cord, etc.
"Hard" being stuff like: Chicago screws, belt clips, continuous kydex, etc.

Wondering Beard
04-05-2016, 12:00 PM
Opposite here. Tried a HiTS CP style and in training it fucked the dog. Kept catching my shirt and fouling my draw in close quarters.

I think my success may be due to the positioning of the belt buckle.

I use a Wlderness 5 stitch with the metal buckle of a larger size than I would normally use (my waistband is around 35-36 and the belt size is 41) so that I could have the buckle in the regular front place. With my G19 AIWB, the buckle pushes forward and out a bit (which doesn't affect my concealment since the cover garment hangs very loosely at belt level ) and with the HiTs just about immediately to the left of the buckle, when I pull up on the cover garment, it slides over the buckle and doesn't get caught on the knife grip. The few times the knife did get caught, I still had plenty of space to acquire a proper grip.