PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive multi purpose winter coat

rob_s
03-25-2016, 12:56 PM
I live in S Florida, so super-expensive cold-weather gear makes no sense to buy. However, having just returned from an NYC trip where we saw "feels like" in the 20s, I'd like to have a decent cold weather coat that's <$200, and also can be used for casual to mild dressy. I'm thinking a modern pea coat might work, but am curious if those of you that live in colder climates, or who are infrequent but regular visitors like me, might be able to suggest something.

This trip I wore an Alpha flight jacket which was mostly warm enough but not exactly dressy enough for some situations.

GJM
03-25-2016, 01:34 PM
Based on your price range and requirement that it work for somewhat dressy stuff, I would peruse the LL Bean website.

More costly, a slightly longer length Barbour jacket, possibly with their liner, works well over a suit coat but still is functional. Less dressy, Arcteryx is the answer for most any technical dressing challenge.

41magfan
03-25-2016, 02:10 PM
Sign-up for email coupons and peruse this site often. I routinely buy stuff for way less than 50% off.

Here's just one example .... with my email members discount this coat is $172, which is more than 50% off msrp.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mountain-hardwear-downtown-dryq-core-down-coat-waterproof-650-fill-power-for-men~p~9218a/?filterString=mens-jackets-and-coats~d~142%2F&colorFamily=01

idahojess
03-25-2016, 02:28 PM
I have a Columbia snowboard 3-in-one coat that has served me well for over 15 years. You can usually get those on sale this time of the year at REI or Big Five or even Macy's. I should probably get a new one, as my zipper pulls have been replaced by zip ties.

I live in eastern Washington, in which the style capital is Seattle, so dressy is relative when it comes to cold/wet weather gear.

https://www.rei.com/product/100602/columbia-portland-explorer-3-in-1-jacket-mens

voodoo_man
03-25-2016, 02:34 PM
dead bird or go home...

Erik
03-25-2016, 02:37 PM
A real pea coat will not be warm enough for in the 20s. I have a great one made by Schott that I love but below low to mid-30s it's not really warm enough. Plus a heavy wool coat weighs a ton and doesn't fold up well, so will be awkward to travel with. I'd second the LL Bean recommendation. I have a decent winter coat that's light weight and looks OK that I picked up at an LL Bean outlet store for cheap.

ETA: You might also look and see if Scott-E-Vest has anything in a weight that works. I got a mid-weight jacket for travel that's plenty warm with a fleece under it down into the mid-30s and I really like the way it's set up for travel with the pockets. The company presents as cheesy to me, somehow, but the product has been quite good.

rob_s
03-25-2016, 03:23 PM
dead bird or go home...

The only thing gayer than arctardix is a Floridian buying arrctardix.

MGW
03-26-2016, 01:35 PM
I live in S Florida, so super-expensive cold-weather gear makes no sense to buy. However, having just returned from an NYC trip where we saw "feels like" in the 20s, I'd like to have a decent cold weather coat that's <$200, and also can be used for casual to mild dressy. I'm thinking a modern pea coat might work, but am curious if those of you that live in colder climates, or who are infrequent but regular visitors like me, might be able to suggest something.

This trip I wore an Alpha flight jacket which was mostly warm enough but not exactly dressy enough for some situations.

Might not be exactly what you are looking for but I have a black Duluth Shoreman's fleece jacket. I wear it for about 90% of the winter weather here in Kansas. If it's under 20 or really windy I'll layer underneath it. Not really dressy but doesn't look bad in black.

I can say it is not as warm as a true wool pea coat but it's a hell of a lot less expensive.

MGW
03-26-2016, 02:06 PM
Yes sir.

Hambo
03-26-2016, 02:30 PM

I'm so Floridian I've never even looked at their site.

pablo
03-26-2016, 05:39 PM
If it doesn't have to be new (and you don't mind shopping), some thrift shops have some pretty good men's business casual stuff. I don't actually shop there, my wife finds me stuff to wear and brings it home. If I had to find a jacket on my own, I would go to REI outlet and find a shell/liner combo that's getting cleared out.

JAD
03-26-2016, 06:05 PM
Can you refine 'kind of dressy?' What are you wearing otherwise?

I get away with a thicker wool sport coat, a wool scarf, and gloves pretty much all the time. I occasionally add a sweater under the coat if it's below freezing and I have to walk a lot. I just can't stand packing a topcoat.

orionz06
03-26-2016, 06:06 PM
I'm so Floridian I've never even looked at their site.

They make lots of good outdoor gear, not just winter stuff. Well worth a look if you do anything outside and appreciate nice, functional clothing.

rob_s
03-26-2016, 06:15 PM
Can you refine 'kind of dressy?' What are you wearing otherwise?

I get away with a thicker wool sport coat, a wool scarf, and gloves pretty much all the time. I occasionally add a sweater under the coat if it's below freezing and I have to walk a lot. I just can't stand packing a topcoat.

Dress pants, shirt, tie, possible suit jacket but unlikely. Possibly no tie.

PPGMD
03-26-2016, 07:52 PM

I'm a Floridian, and I own some dead bird stuff. Granted I didn't buy any of it in the state of Florida. And I shoot at least once or twice a year at a match where it ends up being pretty damn cold. My highish end winter cloths are the only things that allows me to survive it.

But if all it is for is tramping around some Yankee city, you don't need dead bird.

JAD
03-27-2016, 01:18 AM
Dress pants, shirt, tie, possible suit jacket but unlikely. Possibly no tie.

Ok. Pea coat is the standard answer right now, a leather half trench is a nice choice but too heavy to pack. Anything nylon is assy and anything not nylon but warm is too heavy to travel well. Heavy sport coat and sweater, or pack able puffy jacket (I have a good one from Columbia) in inoffensive black that you can jam in your briefcase.

DMF13
03-27-2016, 04:27 AM
. . . if those of you that live in colder climates, or who are infrequent but regular visitors like me, might be able to suggest something. I've lived in some pretty cold places, used to be a fairly regular visitor to Fairbanks, AK ( Climate Data (http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/fairbanks/alaska/united-states/usak0083) ), and enjoy skiing. So I've definitely got an opinion on cold weather clothing.

The key is layering. For casual, or the no tie "sorta dressy" (aka business casual) you describe, I'd recommend a good light to mid weight fleece, under a soft shell jacket, will do for "feels like 20s." If it gets even colder than that you can add some layers.

There are variety of options, but if you you're not going to be spending a great deal of time outdoors needing "technical" gear, ie hiking, skiing, mountain climbing, snowshoeing, etc, then you don't have to spend a fortune, and can actually get what you need fairly cheap.

Heck, you could get a fleece jacket, and a soft shell at Target in their Champion C9 line, that will look good and serve your purposes and probably get both for well under $100 total. I Targactually have a black hooded soft shell, I got at Costco for about $30 and a fleece I got at Target, also for about $30, that I use for just running around town. I have a more "technical" parka (pit zips, powder skirt, hood) that I use for skiing, and a shell we were issued that I use at work ( rather than the Costco softshell), but for just running around town off duty, the cheap stuff works well.

jc000
03-27-2016, 05:26 AM
My vote goes to a pea coat, and if you need to be warmer add a scarf and / or a light wool sweater underneath.

LockedBreech
03-27-2016, 05:53 AM
I have a Tommy Hilfiger wool pea coat. It's my first pea coat and my first TH product and I absolutely love it. Solid quality, comfortable, fits both casual and semiformal, and wasn't horribly expensive. Got it on Amazon. My $0.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ubervic
03-27-2016, 07:37 AM
Look at the Columbia offering, as their gear is well made, offered in a broad array of styles, and attractively priced.

rob_s
03-27-2016, 07:41 AM
This is the pea coat I was considering
http://www.landsend.com/products/mens-wool-peacoat/id_288529?sku_0=::CLN

They claim

TEMPERATURE RATING – WARMER: 0° to +20° Fahrenheit. Use this as a comfort range for the type of climate you’ll be wearing this peacoat Jacket in with a typical winter wardrobe.

Which I assume means that to be comfortable in those temps you need the layers mentione above, and that without said layers it'd be good for somewhat warmer temps as well.

LOKNLOD
03-27-2016, 08:11 AM
I have a London Fog brand "Car Coat", I believe it's this one (except not "big and tall" sizing).

link from Macy's (http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/london-fog-big-tall-classic-car-coat?ID=2479274&CategoryID=3763&pnp=1&stop_mobi=yes&cm_sp=mew_navigation-_-bottom_nav-_-full_site)

It's very warm, and looks sharp with a dress shirt and tie/slacks but not too out of place with jeans, either. Fairly versatile.

Oklahoma isn't exactly the frozen tundra, but I've worn it on enough 20-something plus wind days. Works good with a scarf too if one is so inclined.

LittleLebowski
03-28-2016, 11:34 AM

I have the dead bird Alpha pants (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QGC8LZW) bought for me with a hefty discount by a good friend that highly recommended them. I too, thought they were overpriced and silly until I had to deal with days of 3' of snow. The pants really shined as I shoveled snow for hours (elderly widow neighbor and my place) and I was extremely impressed with the shock cords that made the pants have gaiter like capability.

For your average guy that never gets out into inclement weather for more than an hour or in between the car and the office, overkill. For hours of bad weather exposure, I think that most would appreciate the features of these high end pants.