PDA

View Full Version : No Country For Old Men

NETim
03-25-2016, 08:26 AM
As a fan of fine, but depressing flicks (e.g., The Sand Pebbles, Lawrence of Arabia, Sicario) I'm duty bound to watch them from time to time, for entertainment purposes if nothing else.

So, I've been re-watching NCFOM recently. Near the end, after the scene where Josh Brolin's character gets hisself all shot up, Sheriff Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones) rolls into the parking lot of the motel where the big shootout occurred earlier. Ed Tom goes under the crime scene tape, pauses at the door while studying the deadbolt that's obviously been shot out by Chigurh's pneumatic scythe. The camera cuts to Chigurh a few times, waiting behind the door, watching the light coming through the shot out dead bolt hole. Ed Tom draws his 1911, cocks it (sigh) and enters. The door swings open and the door knob bounces off the wall. (And yes, he's perfectly silhouetted in the doorway by his vehicle's headlights.)

The crime scene tape's shadow is clearly visible on the motel room wall. Ed Tom goes into the bathroom, sees the window is latched, comes back out into the main room and then sits down on the bed. The shadow of the tape is no longer visible on the wall. The entrance door appears to be in the original position, that is, open against the wall.

Was Chigurh actually in the room? Was he Tom Bell's "ghost?" Why didn't he shoot Bell if he was there? Something took out the tape.

Damn Coen brothers, making me think.

Poconnor
03-25-2016, 08:39 AM
I always wondered if chigurh got the money. I assumed that the cartel found lewelyn at the hotel because of what she said to the "Mexican in a suit"

Wobblie
03-25-2016, 08:56 AM
i read the book and was scared out of my wits while I read it. Later I watched the film. the Brothers made a mess of it.

Robinson
03-25-2016, 09:14 AM
Didn't read the book -- maybe it's better than the movie. The Chigurh character was a dick in the film desperately in need of an ass-whoopin'. Several of his victims seemed content to crumble and let him calmly shoot them instead of fighting for their lives -- which I guess might sadly be true to life for a lot of people. But hell, if you were confronted by a guy you know is a killer, why would you NOT attack him and at least fight 'til your last breath?

Or, it's possible I simply don't appreciate the film for what it is.

Trooper224
03-25-2016, 09:20 AM
i read the book and was scared out of my wits while I read it. Later I watched the film. the Brothers made a mess of it.

The author, Cormac McCarthy, agreed with you. McCarthy is one of the greatest authors of our time and they butchered his book.

NETim
03-25-2016, 09:33 AM

Movies generally disappoint after reading the book. But, it's still a great flick IMHO. The book is fantastic, once you get used to McCarthy's style.

Woulda been cool if the first Chigurh victim (after the deputy anyway) would have popped the Ford into "R" and run the SOB over as he was approaching his vehicle with the tank.

Kyle Reese
03-25-2016, 09:55 AM
Call it. Heads or tails.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

NEPAKevin
03-25-2016, 11:03 AM
The author, Cormac McCarthy, agreed with you. McCarthy is one of the greatest authors of our time and they butchered his book.

I wonder if it's a coincidence that Garet Dillahunt played secondary characters who do not fare well in both NCFOM and the Road.

ubervic
03-25-2016, 12:03 PM
While it may not be practical in every case, I strongly recommend watching the movie before reading the book, rather than the opposite, as the book will inevitably be more full of detail and will therefore feel like an expansion of a decent film whereas a film can often feel like a disappointingly abbreviated version of a great novel.

By the way, there are precious few films that I look forward to seeing more than once or twice, and No Country for Old Men is one that I've watched and enjoyed at least a dozen times.

HCM
03-25-2016, 03:10 PM
The Chigurh character was a dick in the film desperately in need of an ass-whoopin'. Several of his victims seemed content to crumble and let him calmly shoot them instead of fighting for their lives -- which I guess might sadly be true to life for a lot of people. But hell, if you were confronted by a guy you know is a killer, why would you NOT attack him and at least fight 'til your last breath?

Not everyone thinks like we do or believes in dying well. The. Chinese military uses the term " the peace disease" to describe the difficulty maintaining mindset after decades without major combat experience. I think many in the 21st century western world similarly suffer from "the civilization disease". They are lucky enough to live in a time of relative peace security and prosperity but unfortunately do not see it for what it is, a bubble. It's an anomaly and bubbles burst eventually.

HCM
03-25-2016, 03:11 PM
If you like NCFOM you should read Blood Meridian. I keep hearing rumors of a movie version ..,,

HCM
03-25-2016, 03:19 PM
Didn't read the book -- maybe it's better than the movie. The Chigurh character was a dick in the film desperately in need of an ass-whoopin'. Several of his victims seemed content to crumble and let him calmly shoot them instead of fighting for their lives -- which I guess might sadly be true to life for a lot of people. But hell, if you were confronted by a guy you know is a killer, why would you NOT attack him and at least fight 'til your last breath?

Or, it's possible I simply don't appreciate the film for what it is.

I think the latter.

Listen to Dr. William April's description of the thought process among violent criminal actors and then think about the character. He has a logic and a moral code, it's just not OUR logic or code.

http://ballisticradio.com/2013/07/14/podcast-ballistic-radio-episode-19-july-14-2013/

FNFAN
03-25-2016, 03:25 PM
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?"

Good stuff!

43Under
03-25-2016, 04:34 PM
Love the film. Never read the book.

I always understood the scene the OP mentioned, where we see chigurh on the other side of the door when the Sheriff is preparing to enter, as the fear in the Sheriff. That's what/who he feared was on the other side of the door. It's perhaps that moment that convinced him he's too old for this game.

And Chigurh got the money. We see the open vent and coin and the lines on the interior of the vent. He knew where to look for it due to his prior experience in the first motel.

Edwin
03-25-2016, 06:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HecxXlx1NG4

Robinson
03-25-2016, 09:23 PM
I think the latter.

Listen to Dr. William April's description of the thought process among violent criminal actors and then think about the character. He has a logic and a moral code, it's just not OUR logic or code.

http://ballisticradio.com/2013/07/14/podcast-ballistic-radio-episode-19-july-14-2013/

I admit there are some compelling things about the movie and also some good performances. I just found myself yelling at the TV when I watched it -- "Why are you sitting there passively knowing you are about to be killed? Attack and fight for God's sake!" I guess I allowed that to get in the way of just enjoying the story.

Interesting podcast, it goes along with a lot of good threads here on the forum.

HCM
03-25-2016, 09:59 PM
I admit there are some compelling things about the movie and also some good performances. I just found myself yelling at the TV when I watched it -- "Why are you sitting there passively knowing you are about to be killed? Attack and fight for God's sake!" I guess I allowed that to get in the way of just enjoying the story.

Interesting podcast, it goes along with a lot of good threads here on the forum.

Dr. April does a great job condensing and conveying the essential elements of what 20 years of Law Enforcement has taught me about violent criminals. He really nails it.

Getting back to to your frustration about the passivity of those volunteering to be victims. Have you ever heard Kyle DeFoor's mindset brief ? As you watch it, think about how many people in modern America believe the relatively safe bubble the live in is normal. There are more receivers than feeders out there and not many people concerning themselves with the idea of dying well. We are remnants of the honor culture in a country which is embracing the victim culture.

http://youtu.be/4vPCqMo9TCg

Robinson
03-26-2016, 06:10 PM
Yeah I guess that's true enough. idontlikeit