PDA

View Full Version : Hudl Technique App (slow motion video coaching tool)

El Cid
03-24-2016, 07:46 PM
I searched and didn't see this mentioned. We had quals this week and our PFI showed us a free app for our phones. It's called Hudl Technique and was originally developed for golf or some other sports. It works great for shooting however and allows you to draw on and highlight different areas within the camera view.

He was quickly able to show shooters when they are "scooping" or "fishing" during their draw stroke. I know video as a diagnostic tool has been discussed before but now there is a free app that makes it easy. It's an orange and white icon.

Luke
03-24-2016, 07:49 PM
Going to check out this all right now. I've been trying to use the shot coach (max Michel jr) app but it seems like it takes 2 hours to upload one stage and mark everything you want too.

Edit: downloaded and played with it. My only complaint is it appears I cannot take a video from my phone and import it into the app. So I have to choose to either record with the app and only have it on the app or record with my phone and only have it on record.

EricM
03-25-2016, 12:48 AM
Coach's Eye is another similar app. Haven't compared it to Hudl, but I know it does allow you to record on the phone then import into the app (at least on Android...that way you can also change settings, like to record at 60fps). IIRC, the app is free but the drawing tools are an in app purchase.

Mr Pink
03-25-2016, 04:11 PM
I've been using Hudl for a couple of years now back when it was called ubersense. I also have Coach's Eye and use them both. Hudl is a free app for Apple, but Coach's Eye cost a few dollars. You can import videos from your iPhone on both apps (IIRC you need to upgrade for Hudl). It's a great way to show student's how to improve. One of the best features is the ability to compare videos (side by side). Take a great shooter and compare yourself to them!

BJXDS
03-26-2016, 07:43 AM
Coach's Eye is an excellent app. I have not used it for shooting, but have used it when coaching to analyze hitting and pitching mechanics. I believe it would work equally well for shooting. Confucius say, " A picture worth a thousand words".

Also I have used video clips of Pro/top level ball players. When run in slow motion and compared to the student it is amazing to see the comparisons. It is also amazing to to take 2 Pro players with seemingly different styles and run them side by side and see just how similar their mechanics are at critical points.

Analyzing the clips is very interesting and average players can improve their skills tremendously using the program. If you want to be the best you must learn from the best, just realize they are top level athletes and posses skills, abilities, desire and commitment that many of us average people Do Not. They same can be said of top level shooters, IMHO they are top level athletes as well.

When I was coaching I use to tell the kids, "If they had this technology when I was a kid, I would be playing Pro ball!" The truth is, it probably would have helped tremendously, but I just aint that good!