PDA

View Full Version : Ankle carry, who does it?

willowofwisp
03-01-2011, 08:15 PM
I started my new job today...and while I haven't asked if carrying is allowed it most likely isn't, so i thought of trying out ankle carry for a way to discretely carry a firearm, I was thinking of carrying a 442 w/ct grips in an Alessi ankle holster, as it appears to have good reviews.

anyone else ankle carry? what holster do you use? what gun and what type of pants work best?

LtDave
03-01-2011, 10:14 PM
I've ankle carried off and on for over 30 hrs. I've used Alessi, DeSantis and Bianchi leather holsters. I'm currently using an Eagle nylon rig that carries the gun upside down. It's very comfortable and stable and is the most concealable ankle holster I've found. My preference for ankle carry is an air weight revolver, usually a S&W, but I carried a Colt Cobra for a while.

Rverdi
03-01-2011, 10:30 PM
I wear a 642 w/ct's in an Alessi ankle holster virtually everyday and have for as long as I can remember. Perfect backup combo IMHO. The Alessi holster is near perfect, I've had probably a dozen over the years. I was lucky enough to count Lou Alessi as a friend and he would frequently send me holsters for odd pistols to see how they worked and, frankly, they pretty much always did. Amazingly, even a G30 carried comfortably in one.

ToddG
03-01-2011, 10:32 PM
I wear a 642 w/ct's in an Alessi ankle holster virtually everyday and have for as long as I can remember.

I still remember getting together with you guys in NJ for dinner one night and first thing I said to you was, "I can't believe you're not carrying a gun!" Duh... j-frame on the ankle.

John Ralston
03-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Alessi style rig is the only way to go. I retired the one Lou made me for one of my own (same design) - even with a M40 Lemon Squeezer I forget it is even there.

willowofwisp
03-01-2011, 10:54 PM
I still remember getting together with you guys in NJ for dinner one night and first thing I said to you was, "I can't believe you're not carrying a gun!" Duh... j-frame on the ankle.

I ordered the Alessi tonight, just gotta grab a 442 now.

SLG
03-02-2011, 12:09 AM
I've ankle carried off and on for over 30 hrs. I'm currently using an Eagle nylon rig that carries the gun upside down.

You mean the one that points the gun at your head, by way of your entire torso?

People think that appendix carry is dangerous (it is) but that Eagle holster has always taken the cake for me.

Tom Givens
03-02-2011, 12:42 AM
I carry my back-up Colt Cobra in a DeSantis ankle rig. Like the Alessi rig it retains the gun adequately without a thumb-break or strap. It is slightly more concealable than Lou's rig, which I also have.

gtmtnbiker98
03-02-2011, 08:11 AM
Many moons ago, I used to carry my on-duty BUG (G26) on my left ankle. Since then, I've pretty much departed from this mode of carry. It worked when I did ankle carry, but trying to run with an ankle gun isn't optimal for me. When I carry a BUG on-duty, it's in a vest rig.

SmokeJumper
03-02-2011, 05:18 PM
I've carried my BUG for ankle for quite some time now. I started out with an Uncle Mikes nylon for a S&W CS45 (don't laugh, I had to for policy) but it got a bit heavy. I then switched to a S&W 442 with CT grips and it is carried daily for a BUG. The 442 was carried in an Uncle Mikes rig as well, but they did not last long, I then switched to a Galco Ankle Glove and used it quite a bit, worked well and was comfortable, plus it fit around my Danner boots.
After further research, I went with a 5Shot Leather ankle holster from John Ralston, it's basically an Alessi design. It takes the cake everyday, it is a tad more bulky over a Danner boot in uniform pants, but works well with all my other attire. I liked it so much I have a new lefty version enroute to experiment with.
I've also experimented with the G27 in an Alessi ankle rig as well as a Kahr PM9 in an Alessi and Galco Ankle Glove. All are very doable, the G26/27 is about as big as I would go for ankle carry in my opinion. The right holster makes the difference, but you guys already have that figured out.

GLOCKMASTER
03-02-2011, 06:17 PM
When I worked the road I carried a Glock 27 in a Galco Ankle Glove. I found it to be extremely comfortable and durable.

Rverdi
03-02-2011, 06:21 PM
Smokejumper mentioned wearing an ankle rig over boots and it reminded me of an interesting modification a squad mate of mine had done.
He was pretty fond of Danners, so he asked Alessi to make him an ankle holster without the felt backing (for his Kahr K-9) despite the Kahr being all steel, he said he couldn't even feel it over the boots ands it was undetectable under his uniform pants.
The only downside was that he had to order another with the lining for wear on his bare ankle, the felt less one was excruciating.

John Ralston
03-02-2011, 06:48 PM
Not a bad idea to go feltless if you only wear it with boots. If you want one to do both, order an extension strap, then it will go small enough for a bare ankle without it, and will easily fit over a boot with the extension on.

I have made many extension straps, but making one without the felt would be a piece of cake.

Rverdi
03-02-2011, 07:51 PM
It wasn't just the length, it was just the total bulk of the whole boot/holster package that made it so comfortable.
I tried it on a few times and it really was a slick package.

SmokeJumper
03-02-2011, 10:32 PM
Smokejumper mentioned wearing an ankle rig over boots and it reminded me of an interesting modification a squad mate of mine had done.
He was pretty fond of Danners, so he asked Alessi to make him an ankle holster without the felt backing (for his Kahr K-9) despite the Kahr being all steel, he said he couldn't even feel it over the boots ands it was undetectable under his uniform pants.
The only downside was that he had to order another with the lining for wear on his bare ankle, the felt less one was excruciating.

A no felt version would be a great idea for boot wear. Thanks for sharing that idea, I may have to have one made to experiment with. As a side note, the extenders work great, I don't need one on my 5Shot Leather rig,but need it on my Alessi rig for wear over boots.

KevH
03-03-2011, 12:33 PM
I use a Renegade ankle rig with a S&W 442 with CT grips. It's super light and comfy and fairly inexpensive, but you have to replace them every year or two.

I find ankle carry of the 442 to be the most comfortable mode of carry for me. If you're seated it's also fairly fast. You just need to keep in mind its limitations (ammo capacity, speed from a standing position) and be able to accept them.

Coyotesfan97
03-07-2011, 08:57 PM
I use a Galco Ankle Lite for my Glock 26. I can get it around some of my boots but I just saw an extender on the Galco site I probably will get.

willowofwisp
03-07-2011, 09:07 PM
I got my alessi ankle rig and tried it on, was pretty comfortable, but I haven't tried it wiht a gun in it.

KeeFus
03-07-2011, 11:04 PM
442 in a Galco Ankle Glove for about 8 years now. Very comfortable.

Chipster
03-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Glock 26 in a Fobus (because it fits over my Danner's) or a Galco Ankle Glove when not in uniform

randypollock
03-08-2011, 09:52 PM
I looked at the alessi ankle rig on their website, but they don't list one for the LCP, I emailed them to see what I overlooked.

willowofwisp
03-08-2011, 11:54 PM
I looked at the alessi ankle rig on their website, but they don't list one for the LCP, I emailed them to see what I overlooked.

Brownells carries it for the LCP

jstephens202
03-15-2011, 12:40 PM
I carry my BUG in a DeSantis ankle rig, a Glock 27. Sometimes I opt for the Kramer "Shirt Holster" if snow or water is a factor. I also use the ankle rig off-duty as a BUG. Haven't had problems moving fast with it yet, but then again I'm too old to chase anyone and too fat to run anyway!

John Ralston
03-15-2011, 01:42 PM

I am sure they have it, but if not, shoot me an email - the LCP is no problem.

KeeFus
03-15-2011, 03:38 PM
Bought a Ruger LC9 yesterday. Galco or G&G have made anything for it yet. Any suggestions?

Chuck Haggard
03-15-2011, 05:10 PM
I've carried an ankle gun for 24 years.

I started with a Colt Cobra, and between then and now I've carried a Detective Special, S&W 6906, 3913, 940, 640, 642, Glock 27, Glock 26, and now I am back to the 642.

I would have stuck with the Glock 26, but nowadays the arthritis in my left knee gets angry with an ankle gun that heavy.

Over the years I have used several different ankle rigs. Some of the best have been the Don Hume, Tauris, and strangely enough a self modified Uncle Mike's rig.

I used the Galco Ankle Glove for a few years, but I got tired of buying a new rig every year due to the neoprene cuff portion crapping out.

John Ralston
03-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Bought a Ruger LC9 yesterday. Galco or G&G have made anything for it yet. Any suggestions?

If you can track down a dummy gun I could do one for you, but I have yet to see one for it.

I guess the other thing is to go out and shoot the snot out of it to make sure it is what you want before you plunk down the $$ and wait for a rig.

DocGKR
03-15-2011, 09:17 PM
When I carry a BUG on the ankle, it is a LW J-frame, most recently in a Renegade Cozy Partner holster. The Alessi ankle rig is also top-notch.

willowofwisp
03-15-2011, 09:37 PM
When I carry a BUG on the ankle, it is a LW J-frame, most recently in a Renegade Cozy Partner holster. The Alessi ankle rig is also top-notch.

Doc,

when you carry in an ankle rig, do you carry with CT grips?

DocGKR
03-16-2011, 12:46 AM
Absolutely--every J-frame I use has CT Lasergrips.

David Armstrong
03-16-2011, 01:59 PM
I started my new job today...and while I haven't asked if carrying is allowed it most likely isn't, so i thought of trying out ankle carry for a way to discretely carry a firearm, I was thinking of carrying a 442 w/ct grips in an Alessi ankle holster, as it appears to have good reviews.

anyone else ankle carry? what holster do you use? what gun and what type of pants work best?
First I'd point out that from a philosophical point "discreet carry" of a firearm where prohibited is just as ethically dishonest as open carry (perhaps more so), but having said that I put in a plug for an oldie but a goodie, the Renegade Cozy Partner. Comfortable and secure.

ditchdoc24
03-19-2011, 08:13 PM
I carry a G27 at work as a BUG in a Galco Ankle Glove holster. The holster fits very well over my Danner boots and under my uniform pants. I almost don't know it's there and it doesn't interfere with me running.

DrDave
06-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Does anyone have experience with the Fobus ankle holsters?
Their paddle holsters are mediocre quality, so I would kind of expect the same from their ankle holsters.

I've carried on the ankle before, in a crappy no-name ankle holster. The experience put me off ankle carry as I found that the pistol swivelled around my leg and also dug into the ankle. Is that just a reality with ankle holsters or is it possible to actually carry comfortably with proper holster choice? I am looking at a J-frame as a BUG

willowofwisp
06-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Does anyone have experience with the Fobus ankle holsters?
Their paddle holsters are mediocre quality, so I would kind of expect the same from their ankle holsters.

I've carried on the ankle before, in a crappy no-name ankle holster. The experience put me off ankle carry as I found that the pistol swivelled around my leg and also dug into the ankle. Is that just a reality with ankle holsters or is it possible to actually carry comfortably with proper holster choice? I am looking at a J-frame as a BUG

The alessi holster is really really comfortable..I carried with it for roughly 2 months using a j frame.

John Ralston
06-05-2011, 01:18 PM

A good quality ankle rig of the style that Alessi makes will allow you to forget it is there. Alessi, Bulman, 5 Shot Leather (me), Ken Null and Rusty Sherrick all make something that meets the criteria for all day (16 hr) comfort.

Super J
06-06-2011, 07:23 AM
I've ankle carried a sig 230 or g26 off and on for the past 16 years. I am happy with my galco ankle glove.

JDM
06-06-2011, 08:42 AM
442 in a Galco ankle glove when I have to, which is far less often than it used to be since making the switch to AIWB.

DrDave
06-06-2011, 10:54 AM
A good quality ankle rig of the style that Alessi makes will allow you to forget it is there. Alessi, Bulman, 5 Shot Leather (me), Ken Null and Rusty Sherrick all make something that meets the criteria for all day (16 hr) comfort.

Thanks John, I was looking at your website a few days back. Just doing some homework as ordering a quality holster over here is a long, expensive exercise