PDA

View Full Version : Range trip, sights, Glocks and 432s

Glenn E. Meyer
03-23-2016, 07:21 PM
Recently I took a class from Aaron Marcos (of p-f membership. great class) and with some of the P-F folks. I didn't shoot as well as I wanted. Distance was not my friend with my G17. I haven't been out lately - schedule, health, rain, etc. So today I went to a range that HCM said he went to. It was on Hwy 46 north of San Antonio - Ballistic Therapy. The name appeals to me and I told my wife I needed some controlled letting off steam.

I took my G17 and my SW 432. I wanted to practice with the former after class. So what is important - trigger control - what else along with grip. Concentrating on such, I shot decently again. Even at the longest distance, I manage decent hits on a B-27. Pay attention to such. Then some closer up double taps and Mozambiques. All good. Of course, that is by myself and like the fish that gets away!

One thing - I have cataract lens replacement and progressive glasses. I found that the longer sight radius of the gun was a little funky to get both sights in focus as compared to my shorter Glocks like the 26 and 19. Have to think about that. I have the factory sights on the 17 and been talking to folks about changing them out.

I also thought I would shoot my SW 432 - that's a 32 HR mag, 13.5 ounces and a 13 lb-ish trigger pull. I shot some of the Hornady Critical Defense and Federal 95 gr Lead Semiwadcutters. I just shot at 7 yards. Surprising fun and accurate. Good tight groups and tight double taps and easy Mozambiques. Yes, it's pretty close. My good technique - thanks to Claude's snubby class.

What I did notice was that Federal was pretty smokey. One shot let off a cumulus cloud. Also, the recoil is not trivial. In fact, it was a little sharper than the G17 with WWB. So when folks recommend these for the arthritic - they'd better have them test the trigger pull and recoil. Perhaps the SW Longs would be better. I found those trivial in a 632 (stainless 3 inch J frame).

The 432 is a good pocket gun - you hardly notice it. It shoots well and is six shots. It is what it is for a Bug or if dress requires it. Is it better for that than my G42? Empirical question. I like it also.

HCM
03-23-2016, 07:33 PM
Glenn,

It was Skyline1 and Justintime who'd shot Ballistic therapy. I went by there recently but did not have time to shoot. It seemed better lit than the Nardis indoor range and I liked the ability to control the light at the firing point at BT.

I'm currently messing with a Glock 43 vs my J frame 38. I prefer the J frame for reasons related to carry and handling. the G 43 is a little easier to shoot but not dramatically so. I've only fam fired a 42 but I distinctly preferred it to the 43.

Re sights, if you want to try before you buy, I have a G17 with HD's and another with a Fiber Optic Front / plain black rear your welcome to try. I also have a G26 with Ameriglo Pro i dots. I have the Glock sight tools as well. You get the sights, I can install them.

Glenn E. Meyer
03-23-2016, 07:41 PM
Thanks, sounds like a nice offer. I liked the place a touch better than Nardis as it didn't have a crowd of folks. Nardis is very modern but watching some jerk hose a B-27 from top to bottom at 3 yards with a 30 round Tech-9 something was annoying. There was a couple there also. The guy was helping out a nice woman. He seemed to know what he was doing.

Can't shoot this weekend, family plans.

HCM
03-23-2016, 07:49 PM
Thanks, sounds like a nice offer. I liked the place a touch better than Nardis as it didn't have a crowd of folks. Nardis is very modern but watching some jerk hose a B-27 from top to bottom at 3 yards with a 30 round Tech-9 something was annoying. There was a couple there also. The guy was helping out a nice woman. He seemed to know what he was doing.

Can't shoot this weekend, family plans.

I wont have steady weekends off again till November - check your PM.

Chuck Haggard
03-23-2016, 08:18 PM
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/50rds-32-sw-long-magtech-98gr-lead-wadcutter-ammo

GJM
03-23-2016, 08:27 PM
There is a new 432 PD on GB for $500 -- is that a good deal?