PDA

View Full Version : Plane & cruise ship weapons?

Luke
03-23-2016, 06:47 PM
Anybody got any ideas? Flying into the port and then getting on a ship and headed to the Bahamas. I'd like to have some sort of weapon that didn't cost a fortune if I had to throw it away.

Joe in PNG
03-23-2016, 06:49 PM
Are you taking a private boat, or going on a cruise? Cruise ships have pretty much the same security checks as airliners.

Drang
03-23-2016, 06:54 PM
Walking stick.

Folding knife in checked baggage, probably; not sure about specifics re: Length of blade, means of opening, lock.

Coming back from a shore excursion you will pass through a walk through metal detector and your stuff will go through an X-Ray. Can't comment on qualifications of shipboard security vs. TSA, etc., but Princess Cruise Lines' Security are identifiable by the crossed kukri knives on their shoulder boards...

I got grief in Aruba or Curacao when I carried my Leatherman back on board.
In Alaska they didn't care, everybody is buying knives as souvenirs. (Well, knife-like objects, most souvenir Ulus are crap.)
Used walking sticks and had stuff that could make improvised flail in Mexico. In Cabo they checked our bags for food getting off...

UPDATE: Check your cruise lines' web site. If the cruise leaves from a US port the USCG is the guiding authority.

Luke
03-23-2016, 06:56 PM
Carnival cruise line.

scw2
03-23-2016, 06:59 PM
Couldn't someone take a steak knife off board whenever you dock? A sheath could be fashioned easily and cheaply using cardboard or newspaper, tape and plastic dental floss, and one could ditch the knife before boarding again. Rinse and repeat at each stop.

Luke
03-23-2016, 07:02 PM
I would think it would look bad to get found with a steak knife lol. Maybe my wife had made me watch to many lifetime movies, but a steak knife never means good intentions haha.

Drang
03-23-2016, 07:07 PM
Are you talking about on the boat or off the boat?

JAD
03-23-2016, 07:10 PM
Are you talking about on the boat or off the boat?
Never get off the boat.

TGS
03-23-2016, 07:12 PM
I'd be wary of carrying weapons through foreign ports into foreign countries unless you have a get-out-of-jail-free letter from the ambassador to that country......
.....which you won't.

A better idea might be to be aware of weapons of opportunity in your immediate surroundings.

DacoRoman
03-23-2016, 07:17 PM
I'd be looking at a good, solid, wood cane and knowing how to use it. I'd also take a tactical pen, and a tactical flashlight, of at least 300 lumens to shine in a woodbe aggressors eyes.

Luke
03-23-2016, 07:29 PM
Never get off the boat.

Not sheriff sherius. I most definitely planned on getting off the boat at all 3 ports..

I'd like to have it on the ship and off the ship.

Luke
03-23-2016, 07:29 PM
I'd be wary of carrying weapons through foreign ports into foreign countries unless you have a get-out-of-jail-free letter from the ambassador to that country......
.....which you won't.

A better idea might be to be aware of weapons of opportunity in your immediate surroundings.

This sounds like a solid plan. I wouldnt do good in jail, too soft.

JAD
03-23-2016, 07:30 PM
Not serious. I travel internationally a lot. I am unarmed. I make do and avoid trouble and shady stuff.

Lon
03-23-2016, 07:37 PM
I think TSA is looking at "tactical" pens harder. I carry a sturdy, but not a "tactical" pen. A SF 2cell light (hybrid defender) and a good leather belt with a metal buckle.

Lost River
03-23-2016, 08:39 PM
A heavy duty pair of socks in a beach bag, along with a hard bar of soap make a very effective weapon when later combined.

There is a product that fishermen use, that I am hesitant to post up on an open forum, but I have traveled/flown with extensively internationally, combined with some fast attachment points.

There are actually a bunch of things a person can carry separately, and combine when the situation arises.

Joe in PNG
03-23-2016, 08:53 PM
What this world needs is a good tactical golf umbrella. An umbrella with a good, solid core.

Do keep in mind that the ports will often be in places where you may get more jail time for self defense than the criminal will get for attacking you. Happily, most of your cruse ports of call will have a bit more police presence, as that's typically the big industry for the area. Just follow the typical tourist safety precautions. Keep out of the bad parts of town, keep your valuables out of sight, put your wallet in your front pocket, and leave your debit card at home.

YVK
03-23-2016, 09:38 PM
I think TSA is looking at "tactical" pens harder. I carry a sturdy, but not a "tactical" pen. A SF 2cell light (hybrid defender) and a good leather belt with a metal buckle.

Yes. Had issues with Hinderer pen last year, luckily they let me keep it.

I travel to non-permissive areas quite regularly. Small folder in a luggage when I can, plastic pens, flashlights and awareness. And half pound wristwatch.

BillSWPA
03-23-2016, 10:00 PM
My favorite defensive pen is this one:

http://www.livewithconfidence.com/responsepen.html

Most "tactical" pens are designed as half-hearted stabbing instruments. In addition to clearly identifying the pen as "tactical" to anyone who is switched on, this makes the pen likely to cause an injury that is not only unlikely to stop an attacker, but possibly difficult to explain in court (depending on the situation and level of force that is justified). The above-linked pen has no such spike on the end, and instead has a rounded glass break that will actually break automobile glass. Unlike most of the tactical pens I have seen, this one can easily pass for a nice executive pen.

I would also give serious thought to an "unbreakable umbrella." Yes, that is exactly what it is called.

I prefer my flashlights without crenelated bezels specifically so that I can take them anywhere. My current favorites are the Klarus XT2C and Terralux TT1-EX.

Drang
03-23-2016, 10:31 PM
I've flown with tactical pens a couple of times, most recently in January for our Mexican cruise, with a Gerber Impromptu. No problems. So far.

Another option would be a carrier for a water bottle, as long as the carrier has a shoulder strap, and bottle is full. (Amazon.com: water bottle carrier (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=water+bottle+carrier))

Again, a walking stick/cane.

xmanhockey7
03-23-2016, 11:01 PM
Golf clubs, pen, walking cane/stick, flashlight, large carabiner. Lots of options.

SeriousStudent
03-23-2016, 11:42 PM
Speaking of pens, I own all of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Sanford-Sharpie-Paint-Marker-35564/dp/B007YCMGTU/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1458794365&sr=8-12&keywords=metal+sharpie

http://www.amazon.com/Zebra-M-701-Mechanical-Pencil-59411/dp/B003G4SSLK/ref=pd_sim_229_42?ie=UTF8&dpID=41M8v%2BLzPLL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=11QVSRT8YJSNX395D7DA

http://www.amazon.com/Sharpie-Stainless-Steel-Point-1800702/dp/B0067VHVNA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458794365&sr=8-1&keywords=metal+sharpie

None has ever received a second look.

Drang
03-23-2016, 11:59 PM
Speaking of pens, I own all of these:
None has ever received a second look.

I have one of those, it got a second look...by my wife, who immediately claimed it hers...

Cold Steel Pocket Shark Set of 2 - - Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Pocket-Shark-Set/dp/B00KN72ET0/ref=sr_1_sc_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1458795521&sr=8-3-spell&keywords=sharky+pen)

The Apprentice
03-24-2016, 03:41 AM
I'm going to have to get one of those unbreakable umbrellas and maybe a nice bowler hat to go with it.

StrikerFire
03-24-2016, 07:04 AM
Roll of quarters, thick sock, HEAVY brass belt buckle, a wrapped napkin/fork/knife combo in pocket because Im a "germaphobe" when I eat out....

The earlier idea to use whats around you is excellent. Like the pavement, masonry wall, lamppost, glass window, knife from an outdoor cafe table, beer/wine/water glass bottle (break it) from outdoor cafe if the attack/disparity of force scales dangerously. Heck, just open carry a large Pelegrino sized mineral water bottle with you, smash to the ground and voila...a handy tool and conversation piece.

Here we have sub-compact, compact.....

Hambo
03-24-2016, 07:05 AM
Luke's going to the Bahamas, not jolly old England. A non-geriatric dude with a cane will stand out like a sore thumb. Just carry a bottle of beer everywhere and prepare to go old school bar fight if need be.

GJM
03-24-2016, 07:26 AM
I would bottle up some of that norovirus that seems to be on most cruise ships, and deploy it like pepper spray.

LSP552
03-24-2016, 07:33 AM
The wife and I have cruised pretty extensively in the past with Princess Cruises. It's just a fact that you will be forced to rely on improvised weapons due to screening and stopping in foreign countries. On one trip about 5 years ago, I had an issue over a Leatherman Tool in my luggage. After talking with security, I was allowed to keep it in my cabin, but was warned that I would not be able to carry it or leave the boat with it in port.

I normally carry a metal pen (but not a "tactical" pen), a small flashlight, and keep a decent size carabineer clipped to my backpack (holds my hat and stuff). I also usually wear a Wilderness Instructor Belt with metal buckle.

Stay in the tourist areas, nurse a bottle of beer, don't do stupid stuff, and enjoy the cruise.

ST911
03-24-2016, 09:02 AM
Also remember that it's easier to hide items in plain sight if you give them less suspicious context. Combine a small bread or paring knife with lunch articles or a food item, a scalpel in a FAK, a fighting pen with a notebook (consider a congratulatory engraving), and more. Certain materials can be pre-scored to fracture into desirable shapes. There are some specialty tools common to certain professions that can be wielded or converted into useful things, if you want to embrace your Walter Mitty. If being funneled to a checkpoint of some sort, have a map, photo-op, or other innocuous activity that you can use to buy time to identify the most bored and dumb screener. Pre-brief it with a trustworthy fellow traveler.

Glenn E. Meyer
03-24-2016, 09:19 AM
I lost my SW tactical pen or was stolen from my desk. Oh, well. Thus, I have two innocuous items. The first is a TMTŪ PLx Penlight. It is sturdy and fits in your shirt pocket and is a light and is sturdy. The second is a very sturdy automatic pencil that used to be standard issue by the NYSE for employees. I had a summer job. Very think and substantial plastic with a tip that is such. It would take your eye out. Goes right through TSA as well it should.

After going to the Caribbean however, I became an instrument of biological warfare. Don't ask.

LSP552
03-24-2016, 09:21 AM
[QUOTE=ST911;423402]Also remember that it's easier to hide items in plain sight if you give them less suspicious context. Combine a small bread or paring knife with lunch articles or a food item, a scalpel in a FAK, a fighting pen with a notebook (consider a congratulatory engraving), and more. Certain materials can be pre-scored to fracture into desirable shapes. There are some specialty tools common to certain professions that can be wielded or converted into useful things, if you want to embrace your Walter Mitty. If being funneled to a checkpoint of some sort, have a map, photo-op, or other innocuous activity that you can use to buy time to identify the most bored and dumb screener. Pre-brief it with a trustworthy fellow traveler.[/QUOTE

I wouldn't bet on getting off and on a cruise ship with a knife of any flavor, at least with Princess. I can saw for certain that a small Swiss Army knife and a Leatherman Tool didn't pass the scanning.

Duces Tecum
03-24-2016, 11:13 AM
Improvised weapons are certainly available. I carry a cane, but I'm an old man and it's expected. For younger people, a tightly rolled magazine can be carried almost anywhere without suspicion and shares many techniques with the kubotan. But, respectfully, carrying a violin doesn't make you a violinist. It is far more important (at least in my mind) to have a basic unarmed defensive skill set. This might include (a) breakaways from a grab, (b) response to back and front chokes, and (c) defense against blows. Two or three basic techniques to each of the three assaults would probably be enough. A local Krav Maga instructor could teach these items in a single morning. If no suitable instructor is available, Mike Janich, who is well respected in this field, (http://www.staysafemedia.com/) has some DVD instruction on Practical Unarmed Combatives.

(For the record, I am not a Krav Maga participant nor am I associated with StaySafeMedia.)

Luke
03-24-2016, 11:26 AM
This thread is another reminder that I need some hand to hand skills. My current plan is to be the tougher guy and when he gets wore out then I can start lol.

Drang
03-24-2016, 12:30 PM
[QUOTE=ST911;423402]I wouldn't bet on getting off and on a cruise ship with a knife of any flavor, at least with Princess. I can saw for certain that a small Swiss Army knife and a Leatherman Tool didn't pass the scanning.

Our Alaska cruise was a family affair, my parents, sister, niece, aunt and cousin. So we were meeting in someone's cabin for cocktails, etc., daily, and had gone prepared with cheese and crackers, etc.
The "et cetera" included a cheese board with knives, which got scrutiny but was allowed as "kitchen implements, keep them in the cabin."
They missed the soft canteen with rum, to go with the 8 ounce cans of coke that were next to the cheese board and cheese...

Josh Runkle
03-24-2016, 12:57 PM
This thread is another reminder that I need some hand to hand skills. My current plan is to be the tougher guy and when he gets wore out then I can start lol.

Yeah, no offense, but running away is a solid plan that people rarely discus, because they feel it makes them weak and most of us gun-types typically have some sort of alpha mindset, and "losing" is usually not something that we accept naturally.

I agree that you may have to fight to make a hole/window for your family to run away, but after 20-30 seconds, you should probably run away too. No sense in killing a street thug unless they just murdered your family or something. Don't get off the boat with anything important. Take cash you can be willing to lose as your family runs away, and leave the credit cards on the boat. There's typically a hidden area in most luggage at the folding seam that is open, and can easily hide your wallet, passport, etc., while you're away.

Drang
03-24-2016, 01:00 PM
There will almost certainly be a "you set the combo" safe in the cabin.

One of my most useful travel tools is a Scott E-Vest. Many pockets, most of which have zippers, velcro, snaps...

Excursions you sign up for on the boat will be more expensive than the ones you sign up for after disembarking, but you have a lot of guarantees with those set up through the cruise line.

Chance
03-24-2016, 02:07 PM
I used to get bent out of shape about not being able to carry weapons with me. After taking the Tarani/HiTS improvised weapons (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?15346-AAR-Tarani-HiTS-5-11-Improvised-and-Edged-Weapons-7-8-March-2015-Frisco-Texas) course, and reading about how easy it is to kill people with stuff that's just lying around (https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2009/11/stabbing_people.html), it doesn't bother me that much anymore (although it makes me that much more irritated at places that don't allow weapons). Situational awareness, and avoiding stupid people/places/things, should be plenty.

Mike Pipes
03-24-2016, 02:37 PM
Anybody got any ideas? Flying into the port and then getting on a ship and headed to the Bahamas. I'd like to have some sort of weapon that didn't cost a fortune if I had to throw it away.

LUKE,I carry a pair of Surefire Backup lights in my pockets and a Fury in my back pack>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Have FUN....CYA

BillSWPA
03-24-2016, 02:56 PM
The one time I went on a cruise, one of my companions had something stolen out of his room. The items he had stolen were kept in the room safe. So, I would pick a less obvious place for valuables.

cclaxton
03-24-2016, 09:27 PM
I have taken this on airlines through TSA and through courtroom inspections multiple times. http://www.lapolicegear.com/powertech-nightarmor-na806.html
Thing I like about it is you can separate it so it doesn't look like a tactical pen. Also, take two large carabiners that your 4 fingers can slip through. Connect them together with paracord you can lengthen to about 6 feet, but keep it just long enough to get around a airline seat and someone's neck. You can keep cord and carabiners separate if you like. Passes TSA every time.
Cody

LOKNLOD
03-24-2016, 11:16 PM
Another plug for the Zebra F-701 pens. They're cheap enough you won't care if you lose, misplace, or whatever. Buy a two-pack and keep one as spare. They're not tactical or aggressive in any way that would raise any attention, nor are they fancy enough to draw attention that you might have excess funds you're willing to donate to the third world charity collection team.

Clipped in a pocket or bottom of the buttons on a polo shirt, it'll be in a good spot to grab from a fence position, right into a thumb-capped ice-pick type grip, so you can jab and eye or face, because when "BACK THE FUCK UP" verbals don't work, it might be time to notify them in writing (it's always more formal in writing). Then you can run for the boat like a Kenyan on meth.

The stainless body is sturdy enough to have a best chance of holding up as a windlass for an improvised tourniquet, too.

If you want some extra stabby-ness, get a metal-bodied mechanical pencil. They usually have sharper points than pens, and are perfect to accompany a small crossword puzzle book.

Glenn E. Meyer
03-25-2016, 10:35 AM
I mentioned my automatic heavy bodied pencil. However, right after 9/11 I had to fly. The TSA agent took the pencil and took it apart. There was a little two inch stiff wire that you took out, placed the lead in and put the wire in to hold it. She was holding the wire and started to say in an excited voice: Wha's Dat, Wha's Dat?

An Army Captain in gear with his rifle slung came over and said it holds the lead. She was still excited but he talked sternly to her and the pencil continued on its flight with me. America was safe.

As a funny note, went to Louisville and the slugger factory. They sell a little bat as a souvenir. They have a big sign - CHECK THIS WHEN YOU FLY!

By the check point at the airport, there was a barrel of minibats.

Super77
04-04-2016, 08:04 PM
I like to carry one of these (http://www.kleankanteen.com/collections/bottles/products/single-wall-classic-27oz?variant=1604622659) when I fly, completely full with no air bubbles. They did a nice job of designing the sport lid in a way that allows a pretty solid grip. Weighs about two lbs full.

aboveandbeyond
04-04-2016, 08:20 PM

Here's what I do. Never had an issue with TSA.

Take a plastic pen and shave a bit off so that you have a sharp point. Break off the tip as needed. You can always sharpen the tip on the ground with concrete or even a metal surface.

Targeting points should be exposed flesh, like the neck, eyes, and head. Avoid clothed target areas, material tends to get stuck with these.

Another wonderful benefit, if the pen or tip breaks off. X-rays won't be able to detect the plastic :) Doctors would have create a larger opening to extract plastic tip.

Also, ceramic or carbon fiber blades or stakes. Method of carry is an art. With a small enough carbon or ceramic blade, you can conceal on you with a big bandaid. I would hide the blade with big band aid on the chest, tip facing away from the armpit in case you move your arms. Don't need to be stabbing yourself in the brachial!

Edit: You can also buy a cheap pairing knife when you are out and about. Keep some cardboard, electrical tape/ duct tape, and paracord. Use this to make a sheath for said cheap pairing knife. Static cord can be worn around the neck for concealment and decent deployment. Worked well for me when I was on the cruise down in throughout Mexico. Vendors sell cheap blades. Like a few pesos cheap. I toss them before I board the ship.

Edit #2: A improvised "flail" can also be fashioned with a ball bearing, fishing wire/piano string/paracord, duct tape/ electrical tape, and handkerchief. The key is having a six ounce weight. I've found 6 oz ball bearing or rock can break coconuts with relative ease and not to much force needed. Coconuts and the human skull have similiar densities. Drill a hole through the ball bearing, insert cord through hole and tie. Wrap handkerchief around the ball and cord. Tape the handkerchief on the sides of the ball bearing or rock so that it stays in place. Carry the handkerchief on you. No one notices anything about it, it's just a handkerchief I use to wipe sweat.

Target is the head, face, or jaw. It does takes a bit of practice to get used to the swing and targeting. Also, be aware that if the ball bearing is used against the skull. User must know how to extract the device from the skull. It tends to get stuck in bone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOKNLOD
04-04-2016, 10:46 PM
Drill a hole through the ball bearing

And how, pray tell, am I supposed to manage drilling a hole in a small, slick, perfectly round hardened steel ball, if I am in a situation where I'm disarmed to point of making improvised impact weapons?

If I have drill bits, I think a piece of wood plus the bit to make an improvised pick would be a much quicker and easier road to Stabbingtonville.

Duces Tecum
04-04-2016, 10:47 PM
http://www.gunsite.com/classes/non-ballistic-weapons-training-1/

SNIP Learn how to keep yourself and your family safe. Originally developed for federal agencies, this program will introduce you to the Fundamentals of Protection. Learn what is and how to use Protective Intelligence, Threat Assessment and Response, Attack Recognition, Active Shooter Response, Anti-kidnapping and how to move yourself and your family to and from safe and unsafe areas, Protective Measures against physical threats, and how to manage a threat when departing and arriving in your car. Learn how to “analyze buildings” and process other environmental information to make immediate life-saving decisions. Learn how to lower your threat profile and handle real-world threat scenarios and how to take and keep positive control of your environment at home, at work, at school and while traveling.

Never be unarmed again! In the event you don’t have or can’t use a firearm, this course teaches you how to identify, access and employ every-day items in your environment to defend yourself if necessary – giving you the decisive advantage in any violent physical encounter. You’ll be introduced to techniques using “weapons of opportunity” for self-defense that can be found in your home, at work or anywhere you go. Easy-to-master skills work best for the professionals and that’s what you’ll be taught here. No previous experience is necessary – there is no prerequisite for this course.

Designed for specialized military, defensive intelligence and undercover law enforcement operations (narcotics, gangs, counter-intelligence, etc.), this unique training gives you the personal defensive skills needed for a tactical solution where firearms are not an option. Employing weapons of opportunity from four separate categories: edged weapons, impact weapons, flexible and personal weapons – you will be trained in the very same critical life-saving skills used by clandestine professionals operating in denied or non-permissive environments from ex-CIA non-ballistics weapons expert Steve Tarani. SNIP

aboveandbeyond
04-04-2016, 10:49 PM
And how, pray tell, am I supposed to manage drilling a hole in a small, slick, perfectly round hardened steel ball, if I am in a situation where I'm disarmed to point of making improvised impact weapons?

If I have drill bits, I think a piece of wood plus the bit to make an improvised pick would be a much quicker and easier road to Stabbingtonville.

Really before the trip, but a handful of stones would work in lieu of. It's an just an available option.

LOKNLOD
04-04-2016, 10:52 PM
Really before the trip, but a handful of stones would work in lieu of. It's an just an available option.

If I need a weighted ball, and I'm in a beachy-touristy area, I might be able to come with with a lead fishing weight of some sort...

aboveandbeyond
04-04-2016, 10:57 PM
If I need a weighted ball, and I'm in a beachy-touristy area, I might be able to come with with a lead fishing weight of some sort...

Bingo, now we're talking!