PDA

View Full Version : The Skinny on Coated Bullets

Sal Picante
03-23-2016, 10:08 AM
I bought a metric buttload of jacketed bullets (A few orders of 20k) and have only recently exhausted my supply. Fast forward to this past weekend - I couldn't wait on a plated bullet order (through a bunch of local guys) anymore, so I called SNS casting and trucked home with 10K of their 125gr coated bullets.

They were nice enough to say "pass the word along"... So, here you go:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/731798/PF/choppersns.jpg

The coating is applied as a liquid, then the bullets are put into an oven to bake/dry. Even a thin coat keeps the bullet encased/protected. The bullets don't "rub off" any lead or residue when cycling through my bullet feeder or automated press. I like coated bullets have shot them in practice and matches without any issues and have always had good luck with them. The only thing I change is switching to a cooler powder like Power Pistol, Longshot, or Bullseye to mitigate concerns of smoke. I shoot indoors for practice almost all the time and smoke hasn't been an issue... The following video was me burning up some Longshot/SNS 125's. You see some puffs, but the camera makes it look worse than it really is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqGzR7XoyJU

Accuracy has been good - I mean, I can hit 30 yards plates, feel confident taking a 50 yard shot, but haven't "grouped" them (future project, maybe?) like I have my jacketed bullets.

iheartglock
03-23-2016, 10:32 AM
I bought a metric buttload of jacketed bullets (A few orders of 20k) and have only recently exhausted my supply. Fast forward to this past weekend - I couldn't wait on a plated bullet order (through a bunch of local guys) anymore, so I called SNS casting and trucked home with 10K of their 125gr coated bullets.

They were nice enough to say "pass the word along"... So, here you go:

The coating is applied as a liquid, then the bullets are put into an oven to bake/dry. Even a thin coat keeps the bullet encased/protected. The bullets don't "rub off" any lead or residue when cycling through my bullet feeder or automated press. I like coated bullets have shot them in practice and matches without any issues and have always had good luck with them. The only thing I change is switching to a cooler powder like Power Pistol, Longshot, or Bullseye to mitigate concerns of smoke. I shoot indoors for practice almost all the time and smoke hasn't been an issue... The following video was me burning up some Longshot/SNS 125's. You see some puffs, but the camera makes it look worse than it really is.

Accuracy has been good - I mean, I can hit 30 yards plates, feel confident taking a 50 yard shot, but haven't "grouped" them (future project, maybe?) like I have my jacketed bullets.

Thanks for posting this! This is of interest to me since I'm currently shopping coated bullets (see the thread right above or below this) and SNS is on the short list. If smoke wasn't a concern and you were using the same powder, would you use the same powder loads as say, a plated bullet? Any leading after extended shooting?

CCT125US
03-23-2016, 10:32 AM
Great... just what I was looking for. I just worked up a load with Dardas cast .357 dia. for my P2000. Very happy with on target results, but the smoke and lead issue leaves me wanting. This may be the ticket, and the cost is very reasonable.

Hambo
03-23-2016, 10:58 AM
Thanks! I really like their bullets.

BN
03-23-2016, 11:18 AM
I have been using Bayou coated bullets for a couple of years. I was using the 147 with Titegroup when shooting some of these long range shots. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?18246-Pistol-Accuracy-at-Longer-Ranges/page4&highlight=long+range

Sal Picante
03-23-2016, 11:54 AM
Thanks for posting this! This is of interest to me since I'm currently shopping coated bullets (see the thread right above or below this) and SNS is on the short list. If smoke wasn't a concern and you were using the same powder, would you use the same powder loads as say, a plated bullet? Any leading after extended shooting?

People say to go with a plated bullet reference data, but, since I'm shooting "minor", I just try to get it to my velocity ~1075-1100 fps.
(Minor loads are pretty mild stuff...)

The really nice thing about coated is that there is no leading at all!

I recently shot a monster session with Bill Drummond in training (check my journals) and my buddy loaded me up CFE Pistol and Bayou 125's. Shot about ~2200ish of that stuff and ~1500 of my JHPs. I had to clean the gun because the powder charge was insufficient (not creating a good enough "gas seal" to the chamber) and the powder was fouling a lot (blowback), but I was amazed at how clean the bore was after all that moly... That's par for the course when using coated.

BTW, good to go in GLOCKS too... I shot a lot of Bayou moly with my .40 Glock when I first started... (Before SNS started making moly coated bullets.)

Sal Picante
03-23-2016, 12:01 PM
I have been using Bayou coated bullets for a couple of years. I was using the 147 with Titegroup when shooting some of these long range shots. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?18246-Pistol-Accuracy-at-Longer-Ranges/page4&highlight=long+range

I've seen Bruce Gray's go-to Bianchi load: Titegroup and lead (laser cast).
(http://s26.photobucket.com/user/Grayguns/media/X5groupjpg.jpg.html)

I don't doubt that these projectiles can be supremely accurate... Just haven't done any testing myself...

dsa
03-23-2016, 12:07 PM
Coated bullets are the way to go, IMHO they are the future of cast bullets. The smoke some guys are concerned with has never been an issue for me. They are just as accurate (if not more so) as anything else in the action pistol game, affordable, available and they run well in various bullet feeders. In my experience they perform [B]better[B] than plated bullets, I can run them at higher velocities with a wider variety of powders and not experience any accuracy issues (like I did with plated). I know several Open division shooters running Hi-TEK coated bullets in 9major without issues. I currently shoot SSTK with a Hi-TEK coated .45 200gr SWC I have used the following powders N310, Clays, WST, Titegroup, Bullseye, 231, OPB 244, E-3, ETR-7 and currently experimenting with Lovex 32-03 (Shooters World Clean Shot) and I have yet to find something that did not work.

CCT125US
03-23-2016, 01:26 PM
37 minutes to receive my shipment notification with tracker. Impressed, I am.

Luke
03-23-2016, 01:32 PM
We've been trying to figure out who we were gonna use. We were gonna use bayou but might give these a try.

Sal Picante
03-23-2016, 02:11 PM
We've been trying to figure out who we were gonna use. We were gonna use bayou but might give these a try.

Donnie has a good product too - but hey 5% off is 5% off!

45dotACP
03-23-2016, 03:18 PM
SNS is easily my favorite choice...great guys to deal with too. Thanks for the code Les!

CCT125US
03-25-2016, 02:16 PM
37 minutes to receive my shipment notification with tracker. Impressed, I am.

And 47 hours for my order to arrive. Damn, they will be getting more of my money.

JAD
05-04-2016, 11:23 AM
Sorry to necro but the code she's expired. Can we have another one, or was that a limited time offer sort of thing?

Sal Picante
05-04-2016, 12:06 PM
I think it was a limited time thing... I'll see if I can get you another code...

JAD
05-04-2016, 12:09 PM
I think it was a limited time thing... I'll see if I can get you another code...
Honestly don't bother. Their pricing is fair. I feel bad for even asking, but there's something about shooting that brings out the Scottish blood in all of us.

Luke
05-04-2016, 12:11 PM
Honestly don't bother. Their pricing is fair. I feel bad for even asking, but there's something about shooting that brings out the Scottish blood in all of us.

So true. Kinda funny really. Now that I reload I look at the tenths of a cent on bullets LOL

camsdaddy
05-04-2016, 04:46 PM
Ive used blue bullet company and ACME. I like ACME because they come in a cool wooden box and send you candy.

ranger
05-04-2016, 07:19 PM
Bayou user here. 124 and 135 in 9mm and 140 in 40 S&W.

jeep45238
05-05-2016, 06:30 PM
How many people gave their go at doing Hi-Tek coating themselves vs. buying the end product? Did you give up on DIY due to time constraints/convience, or difficulty in producing an accurate coating at the end of the day?

ranger
05-05-2016, 07:02 PM
How many people gave their go at doing Hi-Tek coating themselves vs. buying the end product? Did you give up on DIY due to time constraints/convience, or difficulty in producing an accurate coating at the end of the day?

I reach a point that the cost is not worth my time. I will pick up brass, clean brass, reload pistol ammo but I think coating the bullets passes the "what is my time worth threshold".