PDA

View Full Version : Missouri gun laws - "no guns" signs and weight of law

BehindBlueI's
03-22-2016, 10:02 PM
I want to make sure I understand this right before an upcoming trip. Businesses in MO can post a "no guns allowed" sign, but it's not illegal to carry into the business any way, it's only illegal if you refuse to leave if you're made? Then it's a ticket if you're stupid enough to wait for the cops to show up?

Also, I know the Arch is off limits armed regardless of LEO status, but do they have lock boxes or is it disarmed trip there and back?

JAD
03-22-2016, 10:05 PM
The first answer is yes, but more so -- if the cops show up and ask you to leave and you refuse /them/ you may be cited with trespass. Don't know about the second, the Lou is a bit liberal for my tastes.

Peally
03-22-2016, 10:09 PM
Sounds like Wisconsin. Here it's simply "if asked to leave and you refuse it's a trespass misdemeanor". Considering no one even half assing concealment is likely to get made and confronted the signs are basically useless door decorations.

Robinson
03-23-2016, 09:09 AM
Sounds like Wisconsin. Here it's simply "if asked to leave and you refuse it's a trespass misdemeanor". Considering no one even half assing concealment is likely to get made and confronted the signs are basically useless door decorations.

That's pretty much how it is here in Georgia too. In Ohio, not so much.

RoyGBiv
03-23-2016, 10:11 AM
http://handgunlaw.us/states/missouri.pdf
http://www.moga.mo.gov/mostatutes/stathtml/57100001071.html

Permit does not authorize concealed firearms, where
(15) Any private property whose owner has posted the premises as being off-limits to concealed firearms by means of one or more signs displayed in a conspicuous place of a minimum size of eleven inches by fourteen inches with the writing thereon in letters of not less than one inch.

2. Carrying of a concealed firearm in a location specified in subdivisions (1) to (17) of subsection 1 of this section by any individual who holds a concealed carry permit issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121, or a concealed carry endorsement issued prior to August 28, 2013, shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to denial to the premises or removal from the premises. If such person refuses to leave the premises and a peace officer is summoned, such person may be issued a citation for an amount not to exceed one hundred dollars for the first offense.
The way I read this (IANAL) is that a simple "No Guns" sign is moot unless its a minimum 11"x14" with 1" letters. OP's comments re: waiting for the Po-Po seem correct.

LEOSA Link...

http://handgunlaw.us/documents/MissouriLEOSAInfo.pdf

So, as you can see, an individual who meets the definition of "qualified retired peace officer" in
Section 571.030.10 of the Revised Statutes of Missouri, and carries the identification required by
Section 571.030.11, does not commit the crime of unlawful use of a weapon if he/she carries a
concealed firearm.

As I understand it, carry in the national park is ok if you have a permit, but carry in the arch is a no-no because it's a federal "building" and thus off limits to us non-LEOSA folks. I am not familiar with LEOSA rules re: federal buildings or the arch specifically so I'll not comment there.

joshs
03-23-2016, 11:05 AM
I am not familiar with LEOSA rules re: federal buildings or the arch specifically so I'll not comment there.

LEOSA does not exempt qualified LEOs from federally prohibited places.

BehindBlueI's
03-25-2016, 11:54 AM
I've returned from MO without being arrested or molested. I didn't see lock boxes at the Arch and didn't ask, as I just left my assorted weaponry in my lock box in the hotel room for the Arch/Old Courthouse visit.

City Museum is posted no firearms, St. Louis Zoo is posted no firearms, didn't notice it anywhere else.