PDA

View Full Version : The Blue Bullets

iheartglock
03-22-2016, 10:34 AM
Anyone have experience with these and/or Bayou Bullets? I come here first for trusted info and I have not seen any posts on this topic. I typically reload Rainier FMJ (in the past) or Xtreme/Montana plated but I've been looking for a lower cost alternative. Under $0.06/round makes me happy if they're good to go. Have seen good reviews of Blue Bullets and Bayou in other places but I tend to take info from other places quite skeptically. What say you PF reloaders?

Chris Rhines
03-22-2016, 10:50 AM
I've used several thousand Bayou Bullets in 9 and 40. They work, but they're gonna smoke more than plated or jacketed bullets. Depending on your situation, this may be a problem. For me, it was enough that I switched back to plated bullets.

iheartglock
03-22-2016, 10:59 AM
I've used several thousand Bayou Bullets in 9 and 40. They work, but they're gonna smoke more than plated or jacketed bullets. Depending on your situation, this may be a problem. For me, it was enough that I switched back to plated bullets.

Probably not an issue for me, 95% of my practice is done in the great outdoors and it's breezy to windy most of the time anyway.

camsdaddy
03-22-2016, 01:55 PM
I have just started reloading. I am far from an expert. I have loaded 500 158 38 lswc and 500 147 9mm. I have been happy enough to order again.

ford.304
03-22-2016, 02:53 PM
I have loaded several thousand Bayou and Precision bullets. The biggest thing I have noticed is that there is variety between brands in how tough the coating was. Unfortunately, this was years ago, and I don't remember which was softer... Mostly it only seemed to matter for how much mess they left on your press and dies. I had no issue with them whatsoever as practice ammo. One indoor range was *very* confused by whether they passed their policies on ammunition, though.

NETim
03-22-2016, 03:22 PM
I've loaded HiTek coated bullets from Bayou, Black and Blue Bullets, Blue Bullets (not sure if these are HiTek or not), BlackBulletsInternational and Lucky 13.

I love them. About 99.9% of what I shoot outta my .45's are 200 LSWC's and the majority of them were the traditional lubed cast lead variety.

MUCH less smoke with the coated and the guns are clean after shooting the coated bullets. I no longer buy lubed bullets.

Makes it even more satisfying to shoot the SWC profile slugs, which are just hell on cardboard. :)

Glock guys tell me they can shoot 'em w/o fear too. HiTek is the best thing to happen to lead bullets since Lyman.

iheartglock
03-22-2016, 04:23 PM
I have loaded several thousand Bayou and Precision bullets. The biggest thing I have noticed is that there is variety between brands in how tough the coating was. Unfortunately, this was years ago, and I don't remember which was softer... Mostly it only seemed to matter for how much mess they left on your press and dies. I had no issue with them whatsoever as practice ammo. One indoor range was *very* confused by whether they passed their policies on ammunition, though.
Also something I have considered. I spend a lot of time NOT in public ranges but I occasionally end up in the big city at one with a friend.

I've loaded HiTek coated bullets from Bayou, Black and Blue Bullets, Blue Bullets (not sure if these are HiTek or not), BlackBulletsInternational and Lucky 13.

I love them. About 99.9% of what I shoot outta my .45's are 200 LSWC's and the majority of them were the traditional lubed cast lead variety.

MUCH less smoke with the coated and the guns are clean after shooting the coated bullets. I no longer buy lubed bullets.

Makes it even more satisfying to shoot the SWC profile slugs, which are just hell on cardboard. :)

Glock guys tell me they can shoot 'em w/o fear too. HiTek is the best thing to happen to lead bullets since Lyman.
I've read good things about the Hi-Tek coatings on Bayou. The Blue Bullets use a proprietary polymer mix, at least that's what the site says. Bayou works out to 2 cents a pop higher than TBB, though.

NETim
03-22-2016, 05:24 PM
Also something I have considered. I spend a lot of time NOT in public ranges but I occasionally end up in the big city at one with a friend.

I've read good things about the Hi-Tek coatings on Bayou. The Blue Bullets use a proprietary polymer mix, at least that's what the site says. Bayou works out to 2 cents a pop higher than TBB, though.

Blue bullets turn my fingers blue, but it washes off easily. This is what makes me believe they don't use HiTek. Bayou bullets are great but, BBI bullets are good and a little cheaper. Some, like Black and Blue, offer bullets w/o a lube groove (and multiple colors, useful for color coding loads.) I'm not sure that makes any kind of difference in use but they do have a square base, which I do believe makes them a slightly better projectile. (Not that I'm good enough to see it.)

iheartglock
03-22-2016, 06:14 PM
Blue bullets turn my fingers blue, but it washes off easily. This is what makes me believe they don't use HiTek. Bayou bullets are great but, BBI bullets are good and a little cheaper. Some, like Black and Blue, offer bullets w/o a lube groove (and multiple colors, useful for color coding loads.) I'm not sure that makes any kind of difference in use but they do have a square base, which I do believe makes them a slightly better projectile. (Not that I'm good enough to see it.)
Just to clarify, are you talking about blue bullets from http://www.thebluebullets.com/default.asp or are you referring to black and blue bullets from www.blackandbluebullets.com? I'm assuming the latter. Sorry to make this confusing!

NETim
03-22-2016, 06:28 PM
Just to clarify, are you talking about blue bullets from http://www.thebluebullets.com/default.asp or are you referring to black and blue bullets from www.blackandbluebullets.com? I'm assuming the latter. Sorry to make this confusing!

Blue Bullets:

http://www.thebluebullets.com/category-s/1829.htm. Blue color only. Powder coat?

Blackandbluebullets:

http://www.blackandbluebullets.com/9MM/cat1287790_2140749.aspx. Site appears to under construction right now. But they come I'm 3 or 4 different colors.

SNS casting and Missouri Bullet Co. offer coated Bullets too.

Dr. No
03-22-2016, 07:11 PM
I just got 1500 B&B Bullets in to try out. 125 & 147 9mm's and some 180 40's. The price is right and he offers a discount if you order more than 10k. I'll let you know when I have a chance to test them. You can try them on facebook : https://www.facebook.com/Black-and-blue-bullets-297645180391530/

45dotACP
03-22-2016, 07:24 PM
I like SNS casting...they're a local business for me (IL boys) support the shooting sports and are pretty cheap. I've been using them in my .45 reloads. I also shoot some of "The Blue Bullets" from time to time because I got a discount from their shop from Ben Stoeger's podcast. I don't think they're better, and after I run out my 500 rounds I'll probably just switch back to SNS.

Smitty79
03-22-2016, 09:15 PM
I've shot 15k of these. Great value.

iheartglock
03-23-2016, 09:24 AM
I just got 1500 B&B Bullets in to try out. 125 & 147 9mm's and some 180 40's. The price is right and he offers a discount if you order more than 10k. I'll let you know when I have a chance to test them. You can try them on facebook : https://www.facebook.com/Black-and-blue-bullets-297645180391530/

I'd appreciate that. The more opinions I can collect, the better. I'm in no rush to purchase as I still have PLENTY of plated rounds left that I haven't even loaded yet, but I am not against stocking up before then.

I like SNS casting...they're a local business for me (IL boys) support the shooting sports and are pretty cheap. I've been using them in my .45 reloads. I also shoot some of "The Blue Bullets" from time to time because I got a discount from their shop from Ben Stoeger's podcast. I don't think they're better, and after I run out my 500 rounds I'll probably just switch back to SNS.

Exactly why I went there, curiosity from his podcast and discount code. I had also checked out SNS previously but spaced them out. They also use HiTek but are a smidgen cheaper than Bayou.

Blue Bullets:

http://www.thebluebullets.com/category-s/1829.htm. Blue color only. Powder coat?

Blackandbluebullets:

http://www.blackandbluebullets.com/9MM/cat1287790_2140749.aspx. Site appears to under construction right now. But they come I'm 3 or 4 different colors.

SNS casting and Missouri Bullet Co. offer coated Bullets too.

Ok, so we are talking the same blue bullets. Their site says proprietary polymer coating. I'm not too worried about blue fingers while reloading since I started wearing gloves, but I don't wear gloves when I'm loading mags. I'll have to look at Missouri Bullet Co. also.