PDA

View Full Version : I took Traditional Double Action for a spin - MSW link

Hizzie
03-22-2016, 08:23 AM
Spent a little quality time with DA/SA.

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=16956

SeriousStudent
03-22-2016, 08:19 PM
Good Lord, man, where's the cylinder on that thing??

45dotACP
03-22-2016, 09:04 PM
Will the Brig Tac supplant my Glock 19’s or wheelguns? No

Duuude...why? I mean I get the wheelguns part, because wheelguns are rad...but Glock 19's are everywhere...I mean I could throw a rock in a gunstore and aside from it possibly hitting the nearest neckbeard...you'd hit a Glock 19

:D

imp1295
03-22-2016, 09:06 PM
Good read Hizzie. Thanks for the link.

After about two years with LEM I'm making a foray back into the DA/SA with the P-07. Only about 1300 into it so far, the Transition hasn't been an issue and so far my splits have been about .10-.15 faster with an a slight increase in consistent accuracy on my measurable standards (The Test, Dot Torture, walk back etc). But, the year is still young and it has been less finicky than my last foray into the DA/SA world with my P-01.

Still waiting on Langdon's new creation to hit distributors though. Not a bad time to have an interest in DA/SA pistols!

Hizzie
03-22-2016, 09:17 PM
Thanks guys. I welcome the feedback.

The HK like pricing on the CZ mags kept me from running down the P07 rabbit hole. Pannone's CGW massaged gun was impressive. The M9A3 and certainly the Langdon PX4CC interest me greatly.

In the end I really like DA/SA but the full size, brig slide 92 was not a perfect fit for me. Fun gun. Soft shooter. Damn accurate.

45dotACP
03-22-2016, 11:37 PM
If concealability is the issue, the standard compact Beretta 92 models are a decent choice...I suspect the Wilsons are even more schweet....if'n you need a reason to buy another Beretta 92 :D

LSP972
03-23-2016, 07:47 AM
Hizzie, I recently have gone down this road/memory lane myself; I bought a Wilson Brig-Tac 92G and Sig M11-A1, both on impulse. They have been an interesting diversion, but the extra weight and bulk they feature, versus my G19s and USP compacts, kill them for me, for concealed carry... and that is pretty much all I shoot these days, is my carry iron. I'd tote that M11-A1 in a heartbeat, because with the G10 Pirahna stocks Sig offers, and the short reset trigger, its a joy to shoot well... but it simply weighs too much. Even the USPc, which is a few ounces less, has me dragging at the end of a long day.

A couple of pundits have told me "Go to the gym!". I told them to bite me; I'm 64, have been rode hard and put up wet too many times, and now I'm paying for that. I've been exploring the G43 in depth, and am about to start carrying that little puppy as we approach what is apparently going to be a long, hot, miserable summer here.

But the DA/SA guns, especially the Sig, still hold my attention. And I agree with the contention that DA/SA trigger time helps with one's overall trigger skills. So I'll be spending some quality time with my "old school" steel and aluminum pistols, in addition to the new-fangled combat tupperware that I'm carrying...;)

ubervic
03-23-2016, 07:52 AM
I still do not understand all the fretting by many regarding traditional double-action triggers. I would think that most aware shooters would warm to the idea of experiencing, if not mastering, all modern trigger systems.

Wobblie
03-23-2016, 08:12 AM
I still do not understand all the fretting by many regarding traditional double-action triggers. I would think that most aware shooters would warm to the idea of experiencing, if not mastering, all modern trigger systems.

I can't even master the single action triggers on my 1911s, I need more complication?

ubervic
03-23-2016, 08:28 AM
I can't even master the single action triggers on my 1911s, I need more complication?

Ha. As with many things in life, I suppose it's all about the individual's perception.

For me, after running LEM for a couple years, then SFA for 3 years, I'm loving the DA/SA trigger on my Sig. I can get on the trigger much more aggressively yet safely from holster versus what I could do with SFA, and successive shots are noticeably easier to complete accurately. And I actually like the decocking maneuver at the end of a string of fire---it feels final & conclusive, and it is a tactile step that signals I am making ready to holster. I don't have or sense such a hard 'stop' with other trigger systems.

David S.
03-23-2016, 08:39 AM
And I actually like the decocking maneuver at the end of a string of fire---it feels final & conclusive, and it is a tactile step that signals I am making ready to holster. I don't have or sense such a hard 'stop' with other trigger systems.

Interesting point. I like it.

Pepper
03-26-2016, 02:35 PM
Hizzie,

What holster did you use for your Brig Tactical?

Thanks

HRL
03-26-2016, 02:46 PM
Nice article. Spent a long time trying to narrow down a 9mm da/sa... Of all I've gotten to try Ive shot the px4 compact and p-07 the best (accuracy on walk-back / Claude werners baseline drill. Unfortunately reading about issues with those guns on this forum in the first place steered me away but recently folks seem to have good luck with both. Tough choice I'm still trying to work out... hospital bills for our young daughter is going to delay the decision, curious to see what people have to say.

Hizzie
03-26-2016, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement guys.

Hizzie,

What holster did you use for your Brig Tactical?

Thanks

I ran the Bladetech OWB from Wilson Combat. I cannot recommend it. I was not happy with the holster or buying experience.

GyroF-16
03-27-2016, 10:23 AM
Still waiting on Langdon's new creation to hit distributors though. Not a bad time to have an interest in DA/SA pistols!

Okay- what am I missing? I know he's been into the PX4 compact lately...

Hot Sauce
03-27-2016, 10:39 AM
Okay- what am I missing? I know he's been into the PX4 compact lately...

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-aIBpX82Qg

Trukinjp13
03-28-2016, 11:30 AM
I just moved to tda. I bought a cz p07 and am amazed at how it shoots. Out of the box I was better then with xd/glock/m&p/fns/vp9. I like the first da pull and follow up sa. I am going to shorten the reset because I am used to my mk25 with srt and my 1911s. I love that extra safety from the hammer for holstering and the trigger pull. Was really looking at getting another g19 but the grip just does not work for me. I have had the sig for awhile now but never cc it. Just range/dog walking gun.

imp1295
03-28-2016, 12:00 PM
I also have been going this way with a P-07. I haven't fully committed yet due to recent P-07 mag prices. Like, Hizzie, seeing recent prices at Brownell's for 49.99 makes me take a pause. Especially when there are Px-4 mags around in the mid 30$ range.

M2CattleCo
03-28-2016, 09:55 PM

Maybe that's a good reason to try a DA. I can actually run most pistols better than a 1911. Beretta 92s especially.

Greg
03-28-2016, 11:25 PM
Re: P-07 magazines,

Greg Cote LLC sells the CZ mags at a better than Brownells price.

I've only purchased 2 extra P-07 mags and 1 P-09 mag (carried for reloads) because they are expensive. At some point Mec-Gar should be able to sell their mags for a much better price. I believe I read that CZ requires 5 years of being the only source so hopefully in the next couple of years $25 mags become a reality.

Greg
03-29-2016, 09:24 AM
Ha. As with many things in life, I suppose it's all about the individual's perception.

For me, after running LEM for a couple years, then SFA for 3 years, I'm loving the DA/SA trigger on my Sig. I can get on the trigger much more aggressively yet safely from holster versus what I could do with SFA, and successive shots are noticeably easier to complete accurately. And I actually like the decocking maneuver at the end of a string of fire---it feels final & conclusive, and it is a tactile step that signals I am making ready to holster. I don't have or sense such a hard 'stop' with other trigger systems.

I would guess I'm not the only one who convinced themselves over time that I "needed" the consistent trigger pull of a striker fired system.

After dipping my toes back into the DA/SA world (AIWB carry prompted this) I'm finding that it just is not so. Also have to agree that the decocking does have a conclusive sense to it.

rd62
03-29-2016, 10:08 AM
I moved from SA DA/SA pistols to SFA pistols a decade ago when I was issued my first Glock pistol. The Sheriff's regs were not friendly to much else being carried off-duty and it didn't make much sense to me to train and carry one system on duty and another off. I became quite proficient in running the Glock and at one time not too long ago, that's all I owned. It has served me well and while I am not looking to fix what's not broken, I can see the value in learning and gaining better proficiency in other systems. To that end I picked up a Berretta 92A1 last year. While I really like the pistol, and it is very accurate, I am struggling greatly with the trigger reset. After running my Glocks with the minus connector and NY1 trigger spring combo for years, I short stroking the reset because it is less positive. I'd really like to further broaden my collection with a Sig this year but am hesitant to do so until I can get a better handle on the Beretta's trigger.