PDA

View Full Version : Gen 4 vs Gen 3 Glock Triggers?

Nephrology
03-22-2016, 06:36 AM
So I picked up my ~3rd Gen 4 and first NIB Glock ever the other day, a Gen4 G19. I gave some of the internals a very quick and conservative polish job with mother's mag and Q-tips and otherwise plan on just shooting the snot out of it. However, the trigger on this thing is heavy, and only seemed to get worse after ~500 rounds without cleaning.

My 2 Gen 3 9mms have dream glock triggers, and each gun has approx. 8k rounds through them, which no doubt helps. Do the Gen 4 guns clean up as nicely as the Gen 3s with range time, or have people been resorting to aftermarket trigger parts to get them to shoot acceptably? I did just place an order for a smooth faced trigger from MidwayUSA (doesn't state if it's gen 3 or 4, just says it'll work in all generations) - hoping that helps a small amount. Keep in mind I want to carry this gun eventually, so I'd prefer to stick to stock internals if possible...

JV_
03-22-2016, 06:45 AM
IMO - It take more work to make a Gen4 feel great. I've settled on having to use aftermarket parts. I've become a big fan of the Taran Tactical connector and an Apex Plunger/Striker Safety. It really smooths and lightens the pull.

LSP552
03-22-2016, 07:19 AM
I only own 1 gen 4, a 19. My other Glocks are a mix of 2nd and 3rd gen. The lone 4th gen 19 has an outstanding stock trigger. I've pulled the trigger on a number of 4th gen gun, and they vary from gun to gun (typical Glock). I'd be tempted to swap some trigger bars and connectors and see if that helps. This worked for me in tweaking a couple of gen 3s.

If that didn't work to my satisfaction, I'd look at a Vanek tuned connector or GSSF kit, which uses factory parts. I have one of these in a G17 with stock springs and it's a treat.

http://www.vanekcustom.com/4.html

BigT
03-22-2016, 07:40 AM
We have very successfully run Gen 3 trigger bars in Gen4's on a lot of guns, that a 2kg connector really improve the trigger while remaining stock parts.

Kevin B.
03-22-2016, 08:58 AM
I dislike stock GEN3 triggers and run a "-" in all of mine. On GEN4 guns, I like the stock trigger. In fact, I prefer a stock GEN4 trigger in a Glock.

L-2
03-22-2016, 09:56 AM
Regarding the G19Gen4 trigger:
-"heavy" is a vague term in that does it feel heavy just to you compared to what? A trigger pull gauge reading should help with the speculation (I know, yet more money).
-The drop of oil between the connector and trigger bar is very important with a Glock. I don't know if this lube point was performed after the polish job.
-While the G19Gen4 trigger bar will have a bump or nub on the vertical extension (that shark's fin looking thing) of the trigger bar, it will smooth up with more trigger pulls as it glides along the inner slide rail, keeping the vertical extension centered as it depresses the firing pin safety. Polishing that bump won't hurt either. The G17Gen3 smooth trigger bar won't have that bump if that's what you ordered. Some people say they feel a difference with/without the bump, others don't feel the difference (another chance to use your trigge pull gauge).
-Upon reassembly of the trigger group, ensure the trigger spring's hook is centered on the trigger bar (I don't know your experience taking apart Glocks and wanted to say this as a reminder for something to check).
-a Glock "minus" connector should drop the trigger pull on a Gen4 by approximately a half pound from its stock "dot" connector, if that's what you decide to do (I'm trying to get your money's worth out of that trigger pull gauge).

More:
I take the trigger pull readings on a Glock at the very bottom of the trigger shoe and use the trigger guard as a guide. It gives me the most consistent way to place the roller on my Lyman digital trigger pull gauge on the trigger. I haven't used other gauges and don't know how their hooks and readings work. Taking several readings just now on my G22Gen4, there was quite a bit of variance of 5 lbs 12 oz, down to 4 lbs 8 oz, with a several pull average of 5 lbs 4.5 oz. That gun has 8,800 rounds through it and has the stock trigger parts installed.

Up1911Fan
03-22-2016, 11:33 AM
I'm only shooting Gen4's now, after fitting Ghost Evo Elite connectors to all of mine, i'm pretty happy with the triggers.

JBP55
03-22-2016, 11:47 AM
I only own 1 gen 4, a 19. My other Glocks are a mix of 2nd and 3rd gen. The lone 4th gen 19 has an outstanding stock trigger. I've pulled the trigger on a number of 4th gen gun, and they vary from gun to gun (typical Glock). I'd be tempted to swap some trigger bars and connectors and see if that helps. This worked for me in tweaking a couple of gen 3s.

If that didn't work to my satisfaction, I'd look at a Vanek tuned connector or GSSF kit, which uses factory parts. I have one of these in a G17 with stock springs and it's a treat.

A LA. P O S T Firearms Instructor recently asked me to tune a personal Gen 4 G34 Non Duty Range Only Pistol. I installed a well polished Vanek trigger and a few other components and he is well pleased.
A DK Trigger is slightly different from a Vanek but is another very good choice.

MGW
03-22-2016, 12:11 PM

I can ditto this post. The Vanek GSSF trigger is amazing. All stock parts which is a bonus. I've settled in on a Taran Tactical connector in my carry Gen 4 19 and like it a lot also. The TT connector reminds me of a minus connector without the extra over travel.

Greg
03-22-2016, 07:54 PM
I put Gen 3 trigger bars in my 2 Gen 4 G17s and did the 25 cent trigger job. I did play with the Gen4 trigger bar but found that the break remained stiffer than I liked.

After some experimentation with the "." dot connector and the "-" connectors, I ended up going back to the dot connectors in both G17s.

LockedBreech
03-22-2016, 08:14 PM
I shoot moderately better with a Gen4 stock trigger. That mixture of slightly heavier + more clear wall gives me a great tactile feedback.

pangloss
03-22-2016, 08:32 PM
Do the Gen 4 guns clean up as nicely as the Gen 3s with range time, or have people been resorting to aftermarket trigger parts to get them to shoot acceptably? I did just place an order for a smooth faced trigger from MidwayUSA (doesn't state if it's gen 3 or 4, just says it'll work in all generations) - hoping that helps a small amount. Keep in mind I want to carry this gun eventually, so I'd prefer to stick to stock internals if possible...

My observation on a relatively limited number of pistols (high single digits) is that the variation among guns of the same generation is just as great as among guns of different generations, i.e. the dominant variable is not the generation of the pistol but the manufacturing quality of the individual parts. I had a friend who bought a Gen3 G23 and then a couple of months later bought a Gen 3 G19. Both guns were new, so they were relatively close in manufacture date. The G23 had a very nice trigger, but the G19 was awful. The part of the G19's trigger bar that rides down the incline of the connector was visibly much rougher than on the "good" pistol. This was in 2009 or 2010, but it made a big impression on me. That G19 had the worst Glock trigger I've ever encountered. In that case, spending $15 on a new trigger bar would have helped a lot. The stock triggers on my two Gen4 pistols are just as good as on my earlier generation guns. I'd be hard pressed to say any of them is significantly better than any other.

Nephrology
03-22-2016, 10:17 PM
I shoot moderately better with a Gen4 stock trigger. That mixture of slightly heavier + more clear wall gives me a great tactile feedback.

I find it really messes me up beyond 15yds. I agree that the character of the trigger press isn't awful, but it could stand to be a little lighter.

LockedBreech
03-22-2016, 11:24 PM
I find it really messes me up beyond 15yds. I agree that the character of the trigger press isn't awful, but it could stand to be a little lighter.

Beyond 15 yards not really being my forte, you may well be right :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nephrology
03-22-2016, 11:38 PM
Beyond 15 yards not really being my forte, you may well be right :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me neither, but it is a work in progress...