PDA

View Full Version : FAST: are you aiming at the 3x5 or the T?

HopetonBrown
03-22-2016, 02:48 AM
Was just thinking about the FAST. I aim at the 3x5 card. But in the "aim small, miss small" context, should I be focusing on the T instead of the 3x5?

That Guy
03-22-2016, 05:22 AM
...What T?

JV_
03-22-2016, 05:34 AM
As long as my sights are aligned with the 3x5 card, I'm continuing my trigger pull. I use the level of sight refinement necessary to make the hit, I'm not worried about a smaller T or anything else which may be enclosed within the 3x5.

Chuck Haggard
03-22-2016, 05:50 AM
...What T?

This T;

http://pistol-training.com/archives/9630

jiminycricket
03-22-2016, 05:56 AM
Personally, I do find it a benefit to have a smaller aiming point within the index card to visually anchor my shot. Though honestly I've never done an objective testing of it. My perception of it could be incongruent with the actual results.

That Guy
03-22-2016, 06:31 AM
This T;

http://pistol-training.com/archives/9630
Ah.

I don't have something that fancy available; I've been using 3"x5" post-it notes attached to IDPA targets.

LittleLebowski
03-22-2016, 07:09 AM
As long as my sights are aligned with the 3x5 card, I'm continuing my trigger pull. I use the level of sight refinement necessary to make the hit, I'm not worried about a smaller T or anything else which may be enclosed within the 3x5.

This.

GJM
03-22-2016, 07:12 AM
Shoot the center of whatever target you are trying to hit.

Mr_White
03-22-2016, 09:34 AM
Personally, I do find it a benefit to have a smaller aiming point within the index card to visually anchor my shot.

Totally agree with these excellent posts. I feel like it helps me to attempt to aim for a specific spot at the center of any target I fire at. The size of the target defines the margin of error I have from that basic plan. Once I do see the sights enough on target, I'm pressing.

The way I think of it is that we are going to stop the gun on a specific point on the target (assuming we stop the gun, and generally we will.) We might as well make that specific point be the spot we want to hit, as opposed to some other spot.

I'm reminded of a very profound quote from the exhibition shooter Tom Knapp, as he was narrating over a high speed video of a .22 bullet he fired, going through the center of the hole in a washer thrown into the air (paraphrased a little):

It doesn't matter whether the target is a watermelon or a baby aspirin. If you shoot for the center, it's all the same.

Spot shooting is a powerful thing.

dbateman
03-29-2016, 12:09 AM

+1

I'm a centre of available target kind of guy, it doesn't matter what it is.

Josh Runkle
03-29-2016, 12:40 AM
I still have PT targets from before they had a "T" box, so, I shoot at an open 3x5 if I'm shooting that drill on that target. And, I just focus on my front sight cutting the card in half, top to bottom, but I don't focus on centering it left/right.