PDA

View Full Version : New to competitive shooting and looking for tips.

Jgilliam
03-21-2016, 06:05 AM
So I've decided to start shooting competitively, I've been shooting recreationally for years and just want to take the next step. I'm wanting to shoot uspsa. I have a M&P9, 4 mags, and a very nice kydex holster. What else will I need? And what tips and advise would anyone give?
Thanks for the help!

MPG
03-21-2016, 08:30 AM
With your M&P9 you will be shooting Production in USPSA most likely. First need to check that your pistol is Production legal; if it's stock, then pretty much gtg. If you've made any mods other than sights, you'll need to make sure they are approved or not.

As for gear, you've already got a holster so you'll need:

4-5 mag pouches
A belt, either something like a Wilderness 5 stitch for example or if you want a comp belt like the CR Speed (inner and outer).
I'd say another 3-4 magazines (1 in the gun, 4 on the belt and a couple of spares just in case).
Lots of ammo for practice and matches.

That will get you started on gear until you determine how much you want to get into the sport. Learn the game then worry about the gear.

Best thing is to find a local range that has a USPSA club and see if they have a Intro to USPSA or similar type class where you can learn the rules of the game, etc... If you've not drawn from the holster before, I would then try to find a local class where you can learn the fundamentals of the safety, the draw, reloading, and marksmanship skills.

Once you start shooting matches, first be concerned more with shooting safely and accurately than trying to be a speed demon. Watch the other shooters, solicit advise from them but shoot your own match.

Best advise: Go out, do it and have fun! It's a blast, especially if all you've ever done is static target shooting. ;)

Jgilliam
03-21-2016, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the tips! I have a local range, I they shoot the second Sunday of every month. I think next month I'll just go out and watch. Get a feel and more comfortable. I may shoot but I need to look into mag pouches and a belt. I may also pick up another mag or 2 and just run what I have. The only upgrade done is a apex trigger, I've heard from a friend who I'm going to the match with its legal but I'll be sure to bring the factory trigger also.

Peally
03-21-2016, 10:58 AM
If it's a local match they're probably not going to care too much but if you go to a bigger one make sure you're legal.

And make sure to aim ;)

JMS
03-21-2016, 11:47 AM
http://www.fredericksburgps.com/

First weekend of every month, March - December.

Setup crew does setup on Saturday, and usually shoots their match that day (and can shoot again at the main match as a repeat or in a different division). It's a good time for newer folk to give it a go, because you see how the stages are built and why, there's experienced competitors present to provide guidance, plenty of time to provide guidance, and not too many eyes on you compared to the main match.

Pretty relaxed way to try it out...plus, setup crew shoots for free. :D

Jgilliam
03-21-2016, 02:15 PM
It's funny you say make sure to aim, I went and shot at a friends house who has a course set up at his range in his back yard. His advise was "just be accurate" but instantly once that timer beaps you suddenly throw all of your shooting experience out the window. I notice I'm just pointing and shooting and not really aiming. After work everyday I'm just going to go out and get some time just drawing my pistol and actually taking the time to look down the sights, try and get some muscle memory down to avoid building bad habits.

Jgilliam
03-21-2016, 02:17 PM
I've heard about them, a friend I work with shoots there every now and again. We may take a ride down to see it.

Smitty79
03-21-2016, 09:05 PM
Shoot Limited minor in your first few matches. Learn safety and the basics before you need to reload 4 times in one stage.

Stumpnav
03-22-2016, 12:52 PM
Don't go to watch...go shoot!!! Take your gun, mags, ammo, and belt and go. I guarantee, if you need something and don't have it, someone at the match will help you out. Shooters are a great bunch of people and will bend over backwards to help.

One thing to think about...try to stay after the match and help them clean up. That goes a long way to showing them you're serious and want to get involved.

rob_s
03-22-2016, 12:56 PM
Even if you're just going to watch, take your gear just in case you change your mind. I can't count the number of guys that showed up "just to watch" that wound up wishing they had brought their stuff. you probably already have a belt that will work fine (since you already have a holster). For pouches I'd buy some Blade Tech or Ready Tactical.

okie john
03-22-2016, 01:15 PM
Yeah, just get started. Don't be afraid to make mistakes--we all started somewhere once.

Okie John

aboveandbeyond
03-22-2016, 01:22 PM
Every uspsa shooter won't mind or care about skill level. Just that every shooter is SAFE! Ask lots of questions, I don't know of competitor that won't go out of their way to help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peally
03-22-2016, 01:33 PM
Yep be as fast or slow as you need to be, just make sure people aren't getting uneasy looking like they expect to dive out of the way.

JMS
03-22-2016, 02:11 PM
Shoot Limited minor in your first few matches. Learn safety and the basics before you need to reload 4 times in one stage.

That's pretty good advice. The trend is for folks to encourage Production, first, but Ltd makes a helluva lot more sense. I ended up there, anyway because AIWB, but...

The folks encouraging you to just jump in are also right. I did the "see-first" thing, never should have bothered. It's EASY, just GO. :D

rob_s
03-22-2016, 02:14 PM

That's pretty good advice. The trend is for folks to encourage Production, first, but Ltd makes a helluva lot more sense.

Yeah, when I first read that I thought "no way!" but upon reflection I agree it's great advice. It's the most forgiving division in terms of mag loads (stuff them until they are full) and equipment (holster placement less critical, etc.).

And, in thinking about it, that's where I started too, but for different reasons.

Jgilliam
03-22-2016, 07:39 PM
Ok will do!! Why not, I might as well just jump straight into it.

Jgilliam
03-22-2016, 07:57 PM
This is all great stuff and I really do appreciate it. Making me feel very welcomed to the forum