PDA

View Full Version : FNS 9 wow, did not see it coming

awmp
03-20-2016, 08:25 PM
I recently purchased a FNS-9, with night sights and manual safety. (1911 guy).

To say I was surprised at the way it shoots would be no less than crazy.

I fired 200 rounds and brought other pistols to compare. (Glock 19 Gen 4, Sig 228 {trigger job by Sig})

In the comparison the FNS9 was my most accurate. Still a work in progress to test a little more but I was surprised.

Curious what its not a more popular pistol?

Luke
03-20-2016, 08:33 PM
No aftermarket.

Limited sights

Grip can be aggressive

Holster support

Not operator

Mags exsoensive

In a world with so many solid choices new comers are hard to break into the main stream

Because

I had one. Liked it and sold it like everything else lol.

HopetonBrown
03-20-2016, 08:49 PM
In the comparison the FNS9 was my most accurate. Still a work in progress to test a little more but I was surprised.

Could you share your numbers?

YVK
03-20-2016, 08:58 PM
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?11515-FNH-FNS9-Two-Weeks-and-2-265-rounds&highlight=langdon

19 pages here. There are more discussions on this gun around here.

awmp
03-20-2016, 10:31 PM
Well the sights are Trijicon Night Sights that came on the gun, I was thinking about getting Trijicon HDs (yellow front) that I have on numerous other pistols but I thought I would wait and see how I like the ones on the pistol. so far so good.

I really like the grip, in fact that is one thing that caught my attention. No talon grips or stippling needed. I have stippled all of my Glocks and many M&Ps.

Holster support, I have not checked but you maybe be correct. I get most of mine done at TT Gunleather or JM Kydex, both have said the can make me one. I did find that my leather Sig P320 fits the pistol pretty good.

Not sure what "not operator" means.

Mags are not cheap but I was able to find them for $29.00 at a shop called High Plains Gunshop.

I would have to agree the striker fired pistol market has exploded with many more to come I'm sure with the FBI and Military Contracts up for bid.

No aftermarket.

Limited sights

Grip can be aggressive

Holster support

Not operator

Mags exsoensive

In a world with so many solid choices new comers are hard to break into the main stream

Because

breakingtime91
03-20-2016, 10:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfvmnaJo4w0

Seems like a decent video on it.

HCM
03-21-2016, 12:55 AM
Well the sights are Trijicon Night Sights that came on the gun, I was thinking about getting Trijicon HDs (yellow front) that I have on numerous other pistols but I thought I would wait and see how I like the ones on the pistol. so far so good.

I really like the grip, in fact that is one thing that caught my attention. No talon grips or stippling needed. I have stippled all of my Glocks and many M&Ps.

Holster support, I have not checked but you maybe be correct. I get most of mine done at TT Gunleather or JM Kydex, both have said the can make me one. I did find that my leather Sig P320 fits the pistol pretty good.

Not sure what "not operator" means.

Mags are not cheap but I was able to find them for $29.00 at a shop called High Plains Gunshop.

I would have to agree the striker fired pistol market has exploded with many more to come I'm sure with the FBI and Military Contracts up for bid.

There have been a few reliability issues with the FNS, but the most common issues seem to be WML induced malfunctions and the ambi mag release accidentally releasing the mag when worn concealed / IWB / AIWB.

The sights, trigger and grip are nice. It seems the lack of aftermarket is part of a vicious circle since FN does not seem to market it very agressively.

Edwin
03-21-2016, 02:18 AM
Sevigny just won Production class Florida Open and Area 2 by a blowout with his FNS9L.

http://www.fnamerica.com/about/press-releases/pr-161503/

Trukinjp13
03-21-2016, 11:19 AM
I have ran a lot of ammo through mine. Never had a malfunction. Ran a tlr-1 on it for almost 1,000 rounds too. But, if you run a lighter load ammo on break in there were issues. I broke mine in with 100 rounds of hotter ammo and never had a problem. The springs are pretty heavy in this gun. It shoots accurately and has good stock sights. But the trigger was not that great (vp9 to me was a lot better). My pistol is like three years old, I do not know if they have cleaned them up. The biggest issue I have seen on the gun is the mag release. I have seen people run it and accidentally pop a mag. For the money though good gun.

awmp
03-21-2016, 11:54 AM
Trying to understand all the acronyms/abbreviations.

"most common issues seem to be WML", what is WML?

The mag release I can possible see as an issue but have only carried in a IWB leather holster so will have to pay more attention to that.

There have been a few reliability issues with the FNS, but the most common issues seem to be WML induced malfunctions and the ambi mag release accidentally releasing the mag when worn concealed / IWB / AIWB.

The sights, trigger and grip are nice. It seems the lack of aftermarket is part of a vicious circle since FN does not seem to market it very agressively.

newyork
03-21-2016, 12:03 PM
Weapon Mounted light = WML

HCM
03-21-2016, 05:36 PM
Trying to understand all the acronyms/abbreviations.

"most common issues seem to be WML", what is WML?

The mag release I can possible see as an issue but have only carried in a IWB leather holster so will have to pay more attention to that.

WML = Weapon Mounted. Light.

The FNS is not the only gun which had had issues running with WML attached.

Re the mag release issue, if FN was serious about this gun, an optional single side reversible mag release would not be hard to develop.

HCM
05-17-2016, 01:27 PM
Feed back from a PF member whose agency adopted the FNS-9. There isn't much hard use / duty use info availible on the FNS so I thought this was educational.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
I currently pack an FNS-9 that was chosen by popular vote. We looked at SigSauer (229, 229DAK, and 250), S&W (M&P40 and M&P40C) Glock (22 and 23) and FN (FNS and FNX). Various officers shot drills with the weapons. Some were rejected outright and most seemed to like Glock, M&P, and FNS. That said, the people who liked the FNS really liked it and their very high scores for the weapon weighted the survey in favor of the FNS. I cannot speak to why HK, Beretta, Ruger, Walther, and other manufacturers were not included in the test. Then we decided that we should go with 9mm.

The FNS-9 has been a challenge. The weapons malfunction with some frequency, especially with the issue TLR-1 HL attached. The sights require alignment of the dots rather than the posts. Two weapons had to besent back to have night sights replaced. One gun went down completely when dropped on concrete and awaits return to the factory. The high profile ambidextrous magazine release tends to dump the magazine if bumped on either side. On the other hand, some have found the magazine release on the opposite side of the gun prevents the mag from dropping smoothly. FN does produce a low profile magazine release which was on the FNS-9c that we evaluated for plainclothes use, but that required me to put the weapon on a bench to eject the magazine. (When two police/gun magazine reviews mention the issue of the magazine release, you know a gun has problems.) To their credit, FN America just replaced all of our barrels and magazines with new designs (albeit I was surprised that they didn't realize that a contract agency with problems had the old barrels.) That said, I am hopeful the reliability problems have been fixed. The next range date will tell.

Clearly, we did not do things the right way. That said, city purchasing regulations preclude us from a major purchase based solely on the chief's or the firearms instructors' preference. nyeti (or others), any suggestions regarding how to write specifications for new weapons other than designing the proposal around a preference? We did that when we recommended the 9mm SIG 226 in the late eighties and nearly ended up with Berettas.

Thanks and be safe.

pew_pew
05-17-2016, 07:02 PM
No aftermarket.

Limited sights

Grip can be aggressive

Holster support

Not operator

Mags exsoensive

Because

Plus the trigger isn't the greatest. It's ok but heavy and no way to make it better really. So when you can get a glock or m&p and basically make the trigger as good as you want plus it doesn't have a lot of the other issues the FNS has then it's tough to justify.

Sero Sed Serio
05-18-2016, 01:29 AM
AZ DPS switched over to the FNS in .40 I believe, so another large agency fielding them might help traction for support gear and provide some more performance data.

Sammy1
05-18-2016, 05:35 AM
I just purchased an FNS 9mm. Love the grip, sights and trigger. Very accurate. It will be replacing my P320 for IDPA.

pew_pew
05-18-2016, 10:30 AM
I just purchased an FNS 9mm. Love the grip, sights and trigger. Very accurate. It will be replacing my P320 for IDPA.

You should write up a comparison between the two once you get some shooting in with it.