PDA

View Full Version : H&K insanity, why do I need a P30L if I have a VP9?

ffhounddog
03-18-2016, 09:45 AM
With having the VP9 is there any reason to get a P30Lv3? The whole Point for asking is the VP9 has a great trigger and now just trying to get gear for it before I use it full bore but there is a guy at work asked me to buy his p30lv3 for $650 and old me would be running to the bank to get money, but new me is this going to do anything for me? Yesterday I got asked to buy another HK VP9 would would get a 3rd one in a heart beat but with 2 VP9s, a P30v1, and 2 P2000s, my focus is training for the fight not the for a comp gun. I had wanted a P30L when I had 3 P30s but now its just something.

I guess I talked myself out of it but dang how I would love a match trigger in a P30.

JV_
03-18-2016, 09:58 AM
Skip the P30L and start a 529 for each of your twins.

GJM
03-18-2016, 10:21 AM
As a general rule, if you feel the need to ask on a forum whether to buy a gun, the answer is always no.

ffhounddog
03-18-2016, 10:22 AM
Skip the P30L and start a 529 for each of your twins.

Done borther JV!

JonInWA
03-18-2016, 12:15 PM
The VPs are an interesting "mid-length" gun, as their slides are longer than the P30s, but shorter than many comparative "duty" length slides. By a couple of hundredths of an inch, a VP actually meets the IDPA criteria for CCP (Concealed Carry Pistol)....

I like it. I see it less than a compromise length as a length that really works quite well for both a duty and a concealed carry gun, with excellent draw and presentation dynamics.

Similarly, I found that I can do extremely well with my Glock G19, compared to my Glock 17 and Glock G34. Instead of throwing the baby (ies) (G17 and G34) out with the bath water, I can judiciously choose which to use situationally, with the assurance of similar performance regardless of my choice.

While a P30L is an excellent gun in its own right, I think you'd be better served by concentrating on what you've got, as opposed to adding more hardware.

Best, Jon

warpedcamshaft
03-18-2016, 12:47 PM
Buy a case of ammo and a shot timer and practice the hackathorn standards until you can shoot an expert score instead.

Luke
03-18-2016, 03:41 PM
As a general rule, if you feel the need to ask on a forum whether to buy a gun, the answer is always no.

Not always. I've had the wife say no and needed others to even out the voting system.

Luke
03-18-2016, 03:44 PM
Buy a case of ammo and a shot timer and practice the hackathorn standards until you can shoot an expert score instead.

What if he can do that and has a timer? Buy 2 cases?

GJM
03-18-2016, 03:47 PM
Not always. I've had the wife say no and needed others to even out the voting system.

In that case, better to beg forgiveness than ask permission. Good reason to buy all black guns -- they look alike.

YVK
03-18-2016, 03:50 PM
All of my efforts to convince myself that I shoot 30L better than 30 have failed so far. In fact, I think 30 returns back down faster.
On the other hand, it doesn't require much to convince myself that 30 carries better than 30L.

Duelist
03-18-2016, 03:55 PM

Yep. I'd rather buy ammo than a gun right now. Need my own timer, though...

ralph
03-18-2016, 03:56 PM
In that case, better to beg forgiveness than ask permission. Good reason to buy all black guns -- they look alike.

There's a lot of truth in that statement. .I had a C&R license for a while, and got quite a few guns by the wife simply because they all looked the same..black,greasy... whenever she'd ask about one I always told her Oh, I had that.... That worked for quite awhile. ...

GJM
03-18-2016, 04:13 PM
All of my efforts to convince myself that I shoot 30L better than 30 have failed so far. In fact, I think 30 returns back down faster.
On the other hand, it doesn't require much to convince myself that 30 carries better than 30L.

Thought you were all in Tangfoglio now and hoping all four GGI HK pistols go awol?

Dr. No
03-18-2016, 04:43 PM
I sold both my P30L's after I got two vp9's. They run circles around them in every way. The L is harder to shoot well.

The only thing my L had my VP9 doesn't is a frame safety. Lord, please give me a frame safety and I will be totally happy...

GJM
03-18-2016, 04:57 PM
I sold both my P30L's after I got two vp9's. They run circles around them in every way. The L is harder to shoot well.

The only thing my L had my VP9 doesn't is a frame safety. Lord, please give me a frame safety and I will be totally happy...

Dr No, I seem to recall you saying this before. Can you elaborate on why you feel the VP9 shoots better than the P30L?

Sam
03-18-2016, 06:08 PM

How are you carrying that it makes a difference?

YVK
03-18-2016, 06:52 PM
AIWB. I can carry and have carried everything I own in AIWB, including 4.9 inch bbl Berettas and 5 inch 1911s. I have done the same with P30L. That said, 4" barrel is a sweet spot for appendix carry for me.

JAD
03-18-2016, 07:03 PM

HopetonBrown
03-18-2016, 07:06 PM
Shoot it SHO.

LockedBreech
03-18-2016, 07:20 PM

Gosh, this simple tip could have saved me a lot of time, frustration, and money in my past.

StraitR
03-18-2016, 08:03 PM

After working with my P30 V1 for almost a month now, I would probably jump ship immediately to a VP9 with frame safety should this happen. Oh, and Amen.

A-Train
03-18-2016, 09:27 PM
I wish that HK would make the VP9 with a frame safety. I doubt that will ever happen though. :-(

Dr. No
03-19-2016, 12:13 PM
Dr No, I seem to recall you saying this before. Can you elaborate on why you feel the VP9 shoots better than the P30L?

My general theory:

The position of the slide lends to much more controllability. (Is that even a word?) The way it sits further back in your hand lets you point more naturally. The trigger and how it moves lends to a very predictable break which lends to accuracy. Shorter trigger travel helps to not have so long to make a mistake while pulling the trigger. The way its sprung with 124gr ammo seems to return exactly to a natural POA for me.

Overall you just don't have to fight the gun much. That allows you to run it harder and still be accurate. It really is a no brainer.

warpedcamshaft
03-19-2016, 01:13 PM

A case and a half...

Sam
03-19-2016, 01:27 PM
AIWB. I can carry and have carried everything I own in AIWB, including 4.9 inch bbl Berettas and 5 inch 1911s. I have done the same with P30L. That said, 4" barrel is a sweet spot for appendix carry for me.

Ahhh, okay. I just ordered a P30L JM Custom AIWB for a P30 because my AIWB G19 doesn't conceal as well as a 17 or 19 in a 17 sized AIWB holster. I wish I could pull off 19 sized AIWB holsters.

Ed L
03-19-2016, 03:22 PM
My general theory:

The position of the slide lends to much more controllability. (Is that even a word?) The way it sits further back in your hand lets you point more naturally. The trigger and how it moves lends to a very predictable break which lends to accuracy. Shorter trigger travel helps to not have so long to make a mistake while pulling the trigger. The way its sprung with 124gr ammo seems to return exactly to a natural POA for me.

Overall you just don't have to fight the gun much. That allows you to run it harder and still be accurate. It really is a no brainer.

The VP9 also has a higher beavertail that lets the shooter attain a higher grip, which results in a lower bore axis than the P30 which makes the VP9 more controllable. Also, for me the higher grip means a different trigger finger position. With the P30 I sometimes found my finger getting whacked by the troth/groove in the inside bottom of the trigger guard. This does not occur with the VP9.

Ed L
03-19-2016, 03:34 PM
Wayne Dobbs shot the VP9 next to a P30L as part of an article I wrote for SWAT Magazine. Both of us preferred the VP9’s striker fired trigger pull to the single action mode of the P30LS. Wayne pointed out that the VP9’s trigger release point was further forward than that of the P30LS, which makes it break sooner without having to be pulled back as far.

Also, the VP9 has a shorter reset than the P30L.

I bought a P30L only to have the VP9 come out like a month or two later. The only thing I liked better about the P30L is that mine has a manual safety and I use it in the cocked and locked mode as a bedroom gun. I wound up sending the P30L to Grayguns to have the troth/grove in the inside bottom of the trigger guard removed, and also to have it set with a shorter reset. The P30 has a longer reset that seems to be a German police specification. Grayguns, or someone who used to work at Grayguns shortens the trigger reset on the P30.

Here is a link to his page with the HK-Hammer Fired Master Reduced Reset Action Package. I elected to keep the same weight springs. http://www.lazywolfguns.com/heckler---koch.html

Honestly, if you already have a VP9 I would call it good, lest you wind up chasing rabit holes with modifications the way I did.

Stephanie B
03-19-2016, 04:07 PM
Need my own timer, though...

There are smartphone apps for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talionis
03-19-2016, 04:55 PM
There are smartphone apps for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that do anything like a semblance of a good job.

JV_
03-24-2016, 03:36 PM
ffhounddog - Let me ask you this:

Why do you have so many posts about buying suppressors and guns, like the one in this thread and this one (1/10/16):
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?18683-Help-me-spend-some-money-on-suppressors&p=393167#post393167

and this one (3/24/16):
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?19792-Dead-Air-In-Stock-Now-including-Ghost&p=423513#post423513

And yet you have a gofundme page, dated 12/23/15 with $1755 donated, about your family's medical hardship? The GoFundMe seems to be authored by your wife, so you must have some knowledge of it.

ffhounddog
03-24-2016, 10:14 PM
First, my wife started it, I did not. I did post it in a few places becase she asked.

This page was due to not being able to have a baby shower like it said the donations were from family and friends.

If you want to know what I sold for the medical bills are: (my gun of the month addiction finally helped a little) most of my 1911s (5/7) and beretta 92s (4/6) all but one Sig (4/5) (just have 1 now in 40) all my 45acp HKs (3), 4 of my 6 LWRCis, my HK mr556, all my BCMs (5), all my revolvers, my khar pm40, a m1 carbine, all but 2 milsurp rilfes, 2 cx4s and alot of support gear. This went to medical bills, but I guess I need to get rid of everything before my wife does something I hesitated giving permision but because I knew she was going to do it anyway and I was already run down mentally at the time doing everything for pregnant wife. Why fight it if my wife is going to do it anyway.

It just took me a little while to sell the items to pay for what we needed in medical bills.

Not posting all the other non-gun stuff I got rid of through ebay.

My class 3 items I bought before my wife went on bed rest in November and the AR9 was a trade of one of my custom 1911s

I did not sell the suppressors partly because you always take a huge loss and Then partly 41f.

The cans were bought in July and Sept when my wife was working. That is what I am picking up.

"Taking my info for another" was wishful thinking because I was hoping for a lower price on the can I wanted from shot show. I thought better of getting another at this time.

"I wish I could buy just one, hmm, two, hmmm no three more suppressors!" I wish means I wish I could.

If you want to know about the new hvac system I had to get due to my system dying, my dogs vet bills, my wifes car breaking down on the 14th street bridge needing major engine work, my wifes car getting broken into and items taken, other family issues that do not need to be shared and I can go on what I have been shelling out while my wife cannot work its fine. I invite you to come into my finances for the past few months and my stress.

My wife is using these funds for the kids, just like the page says.

I do not always buy in the first place like this P30l I was planning on trading my VP9. I Decided not to do it.

Now thanks for letting me know how much I have gotten rid of just to pay for stuff my wife would have been able to help pay for if she did not have to go into preterm labor multiple times, almost losing my the kids multiple times, letting the doctor put her on bed rest. Yeah I am such a bad person I guess for allowing my wife to try and do something for the kids the best she could at the time, and friends and family decided to help.

I do not regret getting rid of my items for what I have gained.

JV_
03-25-2016, 06:17 AM
It just took me a little while to sell the items to pay for what we needed in medical bills.

Your story is interesting, but you'll have understand why it's tough to believe. You go from 12/23, the startup date of the GoFundMe page, to:

thinking about ordering a can on 1/6 (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?18636-BUY-NOW-IF-YOU-WANT-TO-USE-A-TRUST-Obama-requiring-background-checks-for-NFA&p=391691&viewfull=1#post391691)

and

listening to your heart about getting a Gen4 19 ... and "Gun money is ammo, mags, and Bolt Carrier Groups, for the next year. At least that is what I keep telling myself." (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?15195-Glock-34-MOS-First-Impressions&p=393499&viewfull=1#post393499)

If you want to know about the new hvac system I had to get due to my system dying, my dogs vet bills, my wifes car breaking down on the 14th street bridge needing major engine work, my wifes car getting broken into and items taken, other family issues that do not need to be shared and I can go on what I have been shelling out while my wife cannot work its fine. I invite you to come into my finances for the past few months and my stress.

Reasonable people who have these kinds of hardships don't start buying new gear/guns/cans less than 2 weeks after asking friends for financial assistance and liquidating 20+ guns.

If you and your wife really have this many financial hardships, I hope that you can curb your acquisition issues for the health of your marriage.

You'll have to understand why I won't be making any contributions to your GunFundMe campaign.

Luke
03-25-2016, 06:23 AM
I can see why some of that raises a red flag.. But does it really matter? Weather or not he's a douche nozzle he hasn't (that I'm aware of) done wrong by anyone here.. So who what he does or doesn't do in the real world shouldn't matter too much here right?. Not everyone is financially responsible or even consistent. I have high and low times financially and they are not always spread out far apart.

Can't we all just get along :)

JV_
03-25-2016, 06:33 AM
So who what he does or doesn't do in the real world shouldn't matter too much here right?I certainly like to know who's buying my gear and/or asking for free gear in the karma section. It could be helpful if someone agrees to purchase something, but may not have intentions of following though.

Can't we all just get along :)

Sure, I can let it go. It's probably for the better considering that I can't come up with any explanation that he can type up which will change my opinion on this situation.

ff - Good luck with your family and financial matters.

ffhounddog
03-25-2016, 07:18 AM
You'll have to understand why I won't be making any contributions to your GunFundMe campaign.

I did not ask you too, and thank you for your candor.

I do not think I was saying I was going to buy that Glock 19 either that day. I read the election is coming posts and well I still need ammo for training correct? Mags for the future disposables, and BCGs were going for $200 and over during the ammo and AR shortages. They seem to be investments like my 1911s and revolvers were.

It seems you take "I better order this" or "I like this" or "I want this" that I am going to be buying those items right then and there. A lot of the items I want I do run it by my wife and when we have any disposable income (does not seem like it lately but it might happen again) I might get those items or something totally different like a new coffee table.

If you have a problem with me personally just tell me. I do have a line item for ammo in our family budget my wife and I both have qualifications to do.

Oh the gun/gear items I was selling well I consigned them from 4 Dec 2015 to 23 Feb 2016 or I sold them on vaguntrader, through facebook, through bulletin boards at my and my wifes work.

Now if you want to hit me up on email PM me and I will send you my work email because personnel email is blocked at my detail site.

I am done trying to explain that wants and likes do not translate to buying right then and there. I save up for this stuff, I do not go crazy with credit cards, or go into debt for fun due to the nature of my job.

Lastly, I really do not need to explain to you if I am buying anything or not. I am just doing this out of courtesy and since you did this in a public forum instead of PM like others you are bringing out a character issue of me and indirectly my wife. I thank you for thinking about my marriage but except for lack of sleep we are stronger than ever.

I hope you have a Good Friday and a Happy Easter.

nwhpfan
03-25-2016, 07:23 AM
As a general rule, if you feel the need to ask on a forum whether to buy a gun, the answer is always yes.

fify

JV_
03-25-2016, 07:29 AM
I won't address each of your points, since I already agreed to let it go. I've stated my side, and as I said earlier, it's unlikely I'll change my opinion with a further back and forth.

I am just doing this out of courtesy and since you did this in a public forum instead of PM like others you are bringing out a character issue of me FWIW: I specifically didn't link to your donation page just so your name was not made public.

but except for lack of sleep It won't get any better in the near future.

I hope you have a Good Friday and a Happy Easter.To you as well.

TCinVA
03-25-2016, 07:38 AM
Lastly, I really do not need to explain to you if I am buying anything or not.

No, you're not obligated to.

At the same time, you can't be surprised that people examine the totality of your behavior and it raises questions.

rcbusmc24
03-27-2016, 11:14 AM
Especially since your screen name is known for shenanigans on some other respected boards as well.......

StraitR
03-27-2016, 12:52 PM
I agree with TC, and believe he summed it up nicely to the point that we should move on. Continuing to leave this thread open for people to come by periodically and take a shot at the OP has little usefulness to the membership and content of PF.

Dagga Boy
03-27-2016, 11:14 PM
I have gotten down to one P30 LEM. I kept all three of my P30L's (two of the V1 LEM's with ambi safeties and one with a TLG LEM). The two with the safeties are going to get short take up kits and I just like them. The other P30L is dedicated as a "light gun" with an X300U. I use older X300's on my VP9's. For the U-Boat, the thing is long, so I may as well get the benefit. I have a solid pistol for a bedside gun, good people management capability, and a powerful white light. I am not sure about on the timer, but the L's just feel right to me in the P30 platform. I actually replaced the P30's with P2000's for a AIWB concealment gun, as those are a better fit for that role. I no longer carry striker guns AIWB. Not preaching to anyone, just a personal choice.

Mjolnir
03-27-2016, 11:22 PM
Looking at P2Ks right now. Currently all over the VP9 but the thought of LEM and AIWB makes me smile. That and the size of the P2K just makes sense, doesn't it?

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."