PDA

View Full Version : Bad Idea # Eleventy Billion

JV_
03-17-2016, 07:37 AM
No comment.

rob_s
03-17-2016, 07:47 AM
I get why someone might think this is a bad idea for a carry gun or whatever, but I think it's pretty funny, and would totally rock that color scheme in a game-only gun that just gets used at matches. Given the configuration of that gun I'd assume it's a range toy anyway.

TCinVA
03-17-2016, 08:21 AM
I would definitely use that at matches.

Chris Rhines
03-17-2016, 08:25 AM
It's for dry practice.

LOKNLOD
03-17-2016, 08:26 AM
1.). Maybe this'll finally shut up that friggin' dog.

2.) I'm with Rob. While it would be dumb for general mass production, as a one-off it's kind of cool. It behooves the owner to be a little extra responsible (really, same rules should apply as all guns) to ensure nobody gets ahold of it that might confuse it (kids) or point it at somebody who might hesitate (crime gun). Honestly though, I think anyone who recognizes that as a Nintendo gun are probably in their 30s. Kids today would probably be equally leery of both if you left them laying out (sadly).

3.) If he was really committed, he'd saw the trigger guard off like the original. :p

Dropkick
03-17-2016, 08:27 AM
I get why someone might think this is a bad idea for a carry gun or whatever, but I think it's pretty funny, and would totally rock that color scheme in a game-only gun that just gets used at matches. Given the configuration of that gun I'd assume it's a range toy anyway.

Just needs one of those bolt on mag well funnels.

TCinVA
03-17-2016, 08:40 AM
It's for dry practice.

And when you screw up:

http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/laughing_dog_duck_hunt_.gif

I am convinced that the reason for my slow progress as a shooter and general lack of skill is because I'm trying to unlearn everything I learned about trigger control from the Nintendo Zapper.

In fairness, though, the Nintendo Zapper still has a better trigger than a factory Glock, so...

Peally
03-17-2016, 08:43 AM
I doubt it's a carry gun.

As a USPSA gun or something that is 100% bad ass.

spinmove_
03-17-2016, 08:45 AM
I want one of those in a G17 or G34 format without the comp and with an RMR. It would be a purely competition gun. Gamer gun for the gamer games.

JV_
03-17-2016, 08:46 AM
I'm struggling to see how this is different from painting the tip of the gun orange, to make it resemble a toy gun.

It's interesting, I appreciate the TBT, but it just seems like it's better off not done.

rob_s
03-17-2016, 08:48 AM
I'm struggling to see how this is different from painting the tip of the gun orange, to make it resemble a toy gun.

I'm struggling to see how you think they're the same.

You seem to be implying intent to this, which I don't think is there. Painting the tip orange, allegedly, is to try to fool a victim into thinking your badguy gun is just a toy so you can get the drop on them. I don't see how any of that applies here.

JV_
03-17-2016, 08:52 AM
In general, making any real gun look more like a toy seems like a bad idea.

rob_s
03-17-2016, 08:54 AM
In general, making any real gun look more like a toy seems like a bad idea.

Why? What is the harm? What is the scenario you envision wherein this is a problem?

Peally
03-17-2016, 08:56 AM
Not all guns are 100% dedicated to a home defense role. I see nothing but an awesome project here. The weiner mobile isn't designed for NASCAR but it's still pretty neat from a design perspective.

spinmove_
03-17-2016, 08:56 AM

It's interesting, I appreciate the TBT, but it just seems like it's better off not done.

If someone was doing this to their gun with the intent on carrying it or using it in a defensive manner, then yes, I would agree with you that it would be a completely bad idea. However, personally, I have other tools for those roles. A gun such as that would literally only fill the competition role and nothing more. For obvious reasons.

JV_
03-17-2016, 09:06 AM
What is the scenario you envision wherein this is a problem?A place where kids are around their gear. My older kids know the difference between toy guns and real guns, but I'm sure something like this would fool the younger ones.

breakingtime91
03-17-2016, 09:11 AM
A place where kids are around their gear. My older kids know the difference between toy guns and real guns, but I'm sure something like this would fool the younger ones.

Thats what I thought. If i did that it would stay in the safe until I got ready to go to the range.

JV_
03-17-2016, 09:14 AM
You can be sure mine are locked up when not in use, but I'm not going to do something which invites confusion.

I seem to be in the minority on this, that's fine, I'd rather be overly cautious. I'll have to hope my neighbors, especially those with kids, take the same approach.

breakingtime91
03-17-2016, 09:18 AM
You can be sure mine are locked up when not in use, but I'm not going to do something which invites confusion.

I seem to be in the minority on this, that's fine, I'd rather be overly cautious. I'll have to hope my neighbors with kids take the same approach as well.

I think its cool but probably wouldn't do it unless its a SIRT

Luke
03-17-2016, 09:20 AM
What kid is going to even know what a Nintendo gun is? I believe you have to be over 20 atleast.

Peally
03-17-2016, 09:36 AM
Liar, you'd dress up like Luigi and rock that shit at Nationals.

JV_
03-17-2016, 09:36 AM
What kid is going to even know what a Nintendo gun is? I believe you have to be over 20 atleast.

My kids play with Transformers from the 1980s. They also watch the Andry Griffith show. They even had (until last week) a Fisher Price record player, it took my 3 YO son to break the needle. My kids are not clueless to the toys of my generation.

rob_s
03-17-2016, 09:40 AM
A place where kids are around their gear. My older kids know the difference between toy guns and real guns, but I'm sure something like this would fool the younger ones.

So the scenario you envision is that somebody goes and drops $600 on a gun, another god knows how much on accessories, then another $200+ on cerakote, and then leaves the gun lying around in a situation where someone old enough to remember what a nintendo gun is but young enough to be stupid with same finds it unattended and unsecured and picks it up, loads or finds it loaded, and harms themselves or someone else?

LOKNLOD
03-17-2016, 09:42 AM
My kids play with Transformers from the 1980s. They also watch the Andry Griffith show. They even had (until last week) a Fisher Price record player, it took my 3 YO son to break the needle. My kids are not clueless to the toys of my generation.

As a complete aside to this discussion....
Awesome. :cool:
Every kid needs some Andy Griffith exposure.

JV_
03-17-2016, 09:43 AM
So the scenario you envision is that somebody goes and drops $600 on a gun, another god knows how much on accessories, then another $200+ on cerakote, and then leaves the gun lying around in a situation where someone old enough to remember what a nintendo gun is but young enough to be stupid with same finds it unattended and unsecured and picks it up, loads or finds it loaded, and harms themselves or someone else?

I envision a scenario where a guy getting ready to hit the range, leaves his range bag in the garage - unattended - for 2 minutes, to grab something he forgot in the house.

LOKNLOD
03-17-2016, 09:43 AM
I think its cool but probably wouldn't do it unless its a SIRT

Actually... That'd be even cooler. A Nintendo SIRT and a dry fire "game" on the TV...

spinmove_
03-17-2016, 09:44 AM
I think it's cool, but I'd never own anything like it (sort of like the donks (https://www.google.com/search?q=donk&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch) I just learned about from VDM).

If I was a single, childless, dude again (with fat stacks of disposable income) I might consider that gun, but probably not. I'm pretty vanilla and prefer not to draw attention to myself or my things.

I didn't even realize there was a name for that sort of thing. I wonder if this is where the term "redonkulous" comes from...

JV_
03-17-2016, 09:45 AM
Every kid needs some Andy Griffith exposure.It's kind of nice hearing my oldest laugh at and quote Barney Fife. Even she said the ones that are in color, and with that replacement deupty (Warren), aren't nearly as good.

rob_s
03-17-2016, 10:20 AM
I envision a scenario where a guy getting ready to hit the range, leaves his range bag in the garage - unattended - for 2 minutes, to grab something he forgot in the house.

So the scenario you envision is that somebody goes and drops $600 on a gun, another god knows how much on accessories, then another $200+ on cerakote, and then while getting ready to hit the range, leaves his range bag in the garage - unattended - for 2 minutes, to grab something he forgot in the house, someone old enough to remember what a nintendo gun is but young enough to be stupid with same finds it unattended and unsecured and picks it up, loads or finds it loaded, and harms themselves or someone else?

JV_
03-17-2016, 10:54 AM
rob_s - Do you have kids?

Peally
03-17-2016, 11:27 AM
So put a gun lock on it? This isn't rocket science.

Is this thing as offensive as a Sig Mosquito in pink? Or a car painted in barbie colors? I feel like I'm missing something here.

BehindBlueI's
03-17-2016, 11:28 AM
Sometimes guns are tools. Sometimes they are collectibles or heirlooms. Sometimes they are fun.

JV_
03-17-2016, 11:45 AM
I suppose this comes down to: Do you want guns to look like toys? No, I don't. My answer does not change if it's a new toy or an older toy.

spinmove_
03-17-2016, 11:52 AM
I suppose this comes down to: Do you want guns to look like toys? No, I don't. My answer does not change if it's a new toy or an older toy.

I get where you're coming from, but honestly there have been far worse offenders IMO on this. Like pink Ruger LC9s or Muddy Girl Pink Camo AR-15s. Those examples look like Barbie threw up all over them and are branded by Mattel.

Hambo
03-17-2016, 12:53 PM
As a complete aside to this discussion....
Awesome. :cool:
Every kid needs some Andy Griffith exposure.

I hate that fucking show. They lost me with a sheriff without a gun and a deputy who can't be trusted with ammo...

With that off my chest, kids shoot people with guns that look like guns on a regular basis. The NintendoGlock isn't my style, but it's only one gun. If somebody wants to rant about colored guns, there are plenty of production versions out there.

Dropkick
03-17-2016, 12:53 PM

What about toys that look like guns?

EricM
03-17-2016, 12:56 PM
Gotta admit, my initial reaction was "ha, that's awesome!" Personally I'm more concerned about people who treat guns like toys, than a gun that looks like a toy. That said, I can appreciate JV_'s concern that a gun that looks like a toy is a greater danger in case of negligence (or criminal intent). I don't think Glock ought to make this a special edition.

Now, who here has a shorty AUG that needs a makeover?

http://icedesigns.com/echo0603/pf/031616/ss.jpg

orionz06
03-17-2016, 01:00 PM
I don't see the issue. I can appreciate the hard line in the sand though but mine is a little further away.

JV_
03-17-2016, 01:05 PM
Slightly related: I was somewhat scolded at Rogers Shooting School for not treating a SIRT like a gun.

They said it should be treated like a gun. I disagreed.

JAD
03-17-2016, 01:16 PM

Such an interesting question that it deserves a thread.

rob_s
03-17-2016, 01:22 PM
rob_s - Do you have kids?

Irrelevant to the question, but yes we do.

nice dodge.

JV_
03-17-2016, 01:33 PM
Irrelevant to the questionNo, it's not.

People without kids, often think they know how parenting works, and they have plenty of criticism and lots of answers. It's one of those things where you don't know how much you don't know. I've certain done this, and learned quite a number of lessons. My kids have gotten in to an amazing amount of stuff, despite our best efforts. It really does go back to the question I posted earlier.

It's fine if you draw the line in a different location. I don't need to come up with every situation where it could be an issue. I look at that Glock and know it would trip up my kids. I'll avoid owning things which blur that line, you're free to draw your line as you see fit.

I'm not sure why you have such a chip on your shoulder when someone draws a different conclusion from you.

Default.mp3
03-17-2016, 02:17 PM
I'm genuinely curious, why all the antagonism?

(If you feel like this question is directed at you, it probably is. If you don't feel like this question is directed at you, it probably is.) :)A combination of this:
https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png

And this:
https://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/215499488_8pSZr/0/2100x20000/215499488_8pSZr-2100x20000.jpg

Personally, I was tripped up by the Glock, mainly because I'd previously only had exposure to this colorway for the Nintendo Zapper:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/80/Wikipedia_Nes_Zapper.jpg

Alright, alright, I'm getting off your lawn, calm dawn.

rob_s
03-17-2016, 03:11 PM
No, it's not.

People without kids, often think they know how parenting works, and they have plenty of criticism and lots of answers. It's one of those things where you don't know how much you don't know. I've certain done this, and learned quite a number of lessons. My kids have gotten in to an amazing amount of stuff, despite our best efforts. It really does go back to the question I posted earlier.

It's fine if you draw the line in a different location. I don't need to come up with every situation where it could be an issue. I look at that Glock and know it would trip up my kids. I'll avoid owning things which blur that line, you're free to draw your line as you see fit.

I'm not sure why you have such a chip on your shoulder when someone draws a different conclusion from you.

There's no chip, you just haven't adequately explained anything. Typically, that's when people start the "chip" and "you're being mean" and attempts to make the argument about me not the topic (this is at least your second, if not third, such attempt in this thread) nonsense. I'm not being mean, I'm asking you questions and disagreeing with the (limited) answers you give. The fact that you had to ask if I had any kids is a pretty clear indicator that you're struggling.

you're right, you don't need to come up with any situation at all. you are free to have a hysterical knee-jerk reaction to something you found online, post what you think is going to be a love parade on a forum, and then struggle when you can't figure out why the majority of the respondents don't agree like you thought they would.

To the topic at hand, despite your attempts to drag the discussion away from it, what harm is there in this gun? I'm having a hard time figuring out what you're worried about.

Are you concerned that a child might find it, unsecured, and somehow inflict harm on themselves or others because they think it's a toy?

Are you concerned that a criminal might paint their gun like this in order to make a cop or someone else think it's a toy only to be able to get the drop on them or hesitate?

I don't get what you're worried about or why you think it's a bad idea, and so far you really haven't offered any sort of explanation at all. you don't need every situation, I'd just be interested to hear even one.

JV_
03-17-2016, 03:37 PM
you just haven't adequately explained anything.It seems pretty clear to me. And the fact that others have commented that they saw my side (whether they agreed or not), or liked my post, indicates that it's adequately explained for others too.

Frankly, I have no interest in continuing this with you. You don't agree with me, and I'm just fine with that.

guymontag
03-17-2016, 03:58 PM
someone old enough to remember what a nintendo gun is but young enough to be stupid with same finds it unattended and unsecured and picks it up, loads or finds it loaded, and harms themselves or someone else?

Millennials... :rolleyes:

Dropkick
03-17-2016, 05:18 PM

Slightly related: I was somewhat scolded at Rogers Shooting School for not treating a SIRT like a gun. They said it should be treated like a gun. I disagreed.

This is kind of what I was alluding to with my question. Things like cap guns, or airsoft, or nerf, or water guns, etc.

JV_
03-17-2016, 05:23 PM
Things like cap guns, or airsoft, or nerf, or water guns, etc.The cap guns and water guns I've seen were obvious toys, but I certainly see your point with Airsoft guns. I don't have them around my house, but that wasn't an intentional act. For my purposes, which doesn't include FoF, Airsoft would be treated as a gun.

Hambo
03-17-2016, 07:19 PM
I'm genuinely curious, why all the antagonism?

(If you feel like this question is directed at you, it probably is. If you don't feel like this question is directed at you, it probably is.) :)

Repressed hostility. It all goes back to staying at my grandparents house and being forced to watch the Andy Griffith show.

Dropkick
03-17-2016, 07:42 PM
The cap guns and water guns I've seen were obvious toys, but I certainly see your point with Airsoft guns. I don't have them around my house, but that wasn't an intentional act. For my purposes, which doesn't include FoF, Airsoft would be treated as a gun.

Thanks. I appreciate your point of view on it.

rob_s
03-18-2016, 07:21 AM
It seems pretty clear to me. And the fact that others have commented that they saw my side (whether they agreed or not), or liked my post, indicates that it's adequately explained for others too.

Frankly, I have no interest in continuing this with you. You don't agree with me, and I'm just fine with that.

Of course you aren't, you're losing! :cool:

Your position just makes zero sense if you can't provide a context for your hysteria. That's ok, and it seems you're ok with that, and have pretty much acknowledged that, so I'm good with it too.

11B10
03-18-2016, 10:13 AM
There's no chip, you just haven't adequately explained anything. Typically, that's when people start the "chip" and "you're being mean" and attempts to make the argument about me not the topic (this is at least your second, if not third, such attempt in this thread) nonsense. I'm not being mean, I'm asking you questions and disagreeing with the (limited) answers you give. The fact that you had to ask if I had any kids is a pretty clear indicator that you're struggling.

you're right, you don't need to come up with any situation at all. you are free to have a hysterical knee-jerk reaction to something you found online, post what you think is going to be a love parade on a forum, and then struggle when you can't figure out why the majority of the respondents don't agree like you thought they would.

To the topic at hand, despite your attempts to drag the discussion away from it, what harm is there in this gun? I'm having a hard time figuring out what you're worried about.

Are you concerned that a child might find it, unsecured, and somehow inflict harm on themselves or others because they think it's a toy?

Are you concerned that a criminal might paint their gun like this in order to make a cop or someone else think it's a toy only to be able to get the drop on them or hesitate?

I don't get what you're worried about or why you think it's a bad idea, and so far you really haven't offered any sort of explanation at all. you don't need every situation, I'd just be interested to hear even one.

Just an observer here (with three grown kids) - rob s., it seems abundantly clear it is your first premise jv has problems with - he said so more than once. Even I got that!

jon volk
03-18-2016, 02:02 PM
Id probably participate in more gun games if I had that to shoot with. ;)

iheartglock
03-28-2016, 11:37 AM
I'll just leave this here. Ran across the video last night and remembered seeing this thread. Leave it to Jerry Miculek to get his hands on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJbS5PYQudQ

HCM
04-01-2016, 09:12 PM
JV was right - just saw this at a local video game store:

Default.mp3
04-01-2016, 11:16 PM
Tangentially related:
http://i.imgbox.com/2Eskv8vk.jpg
http://i.imgbox.com/KNHP2M26.jpg

Work done by Scalpel Arms (http://www.scalpelarms.com/).

Bigghoss
05-03-2016, 12:46 AM
Here's a guy that was inspired by the Glock that started this thread and it taking it several steps further. He has some...interesting...firearm projects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJhBCiWHZ8w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxau-X3UEAQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LICIjeKt4AU