PDA

View Full Version : Brand New Gen 3 G19

JonInWA
10-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Having won a pistol certificate from a June GSSF match, I decided to get a G19, to go with my previous Gen 3 G19. I vacillated between the Gen 3 and Gen4, but ultimately decided on the Gen 3 for several reasons: 1) The stellar reputation and personal experience I've had with my Gen 3 G19; 2) That 2010 and later Gen 3 G19 issues seem to center around the extractor, and I have the earlier appropriate extractor in my Armorers parts box; 3) general uncertaintly on whether or not the Gen4 issues with the 9mm Gen4 Glocks have truly been resolved (with the new "final" recoil spring assembly, extractor, and trigger mechanism housing/ejector), and finally 4) If the issue(s) have been resolved, and if I ordered an Gen4, would it be one of the ones with the "fix components" installed (Glock tends to batch-produce, so there could be a lag while the Glocks in the pipeline are flushed out-I didn't want to be a "flushee" (despite my ability to get the corrective parts expeditiously). Finally, I'm franky unconvinced that the 9mm Glocks, and the G19 in particular really need or benefit all that much from the Gen4 changes.

Upon arrival, I had the department Armorer install Glock steel sights to replace the polymer ones-I've actually had excellent results with the Glock sight picture, and for a grand total of $26, the steel sights give me a durable and inexpensive solution, until I decide to go with a set of Warren Tacticals (as on my G34) or Ameriglo Kyle Defoors-or just remain with the Glock steels. I also immediately replaced the OEM extractor with an older, but brand new extractor. There was a discernable finish difference between the two extractors; the one that came OEM with the gun was shiny black (and somewhat difficult to remove from the gun); the older extractor is matte gray. The one that came with the gun also had the dip at the top, so despite the fact that my particular G19 was very recently produced (with an "SDA" serial prefix, and an expended cartridge casing envelope collection date of 10/11/11-the gun arrived on 10/14/11, so they don't get much newer than that). Judging by previous descriptions, it certainly sounds like mine came with the MIM extractor, so I'm uncertain how effective the distribution of the new non-MIM extractors to the production line has been (or if they're being constrained to the Gen4 guns for the time being).

Along with the extractor and sight replacements, I also replaced the serrated triggerbar with a smooth trigger (using a Gen 3.5 triggerbar); the standard 5.5 lb connector was replaced with a 4.5 "minus" connector, and the coil trigger spring was replaced with a NY1 unit, and the flat OEM slide stop was replaced with a Glock extended slide stop/release.

The gun was then lubed with TW25B (connector/triggerbar interface, cam bump-out in the slide, locking block and barrel lug interface) and with Weapon Shield for the other lube points. On dry-firing, the slide reciprocation seemed to be noticably harsh and grating (compared to my earlier black oxide finished Gen 3 Glocks-this new one has the new chalky gray finish, so I'm assuing that the harshness was finish-related), so I also applied TW25B to the slide and receiver rail areas, on top of the previously applied Weapon Shield; hopefully this lubrication plus burnishing through use will significantly smooth things out.

The triggerpull with the Gen 3.5 triggerbar, minus connector, and NY1 seems to be pretty nice-crisp and with a short, but discernable reset, with pull weight probably around about 6-6.5 lbs.

I'll do my initial familiarization/function confirmation/zeroing firing shortly, but I thought this information pertaining to the current production Gen 3 gun(s) might be of some interest in the meantime.

Best, Jon

Kyle Reese
10-16-2011, 03:54 PM
I'm jealous. I've shot a bunch of GSSF matches and never won a free gun. :D

doose
10-18-2011, 06:27 AM
Having won a pistol certificate from a June GSSF match, I decided to get a G19, to go with my previous Gen 3 G19. I vacillated between the Gen 3 and Gen4, but ultimately decided on the Gen 3 for several reasons: 1) The stellar reputation and personal experience I've had with my Gen 3 G19; 2) That 2010 and later Gen 3 G19 issues seem to center around the extractor, and I have the earlier appropriate extractor in my Armorers parts box; 3) general uncertaintly on whether or not the Gen4 issues with the 9mm Gen4 Glocks have truly been resolved (with the new "final" recoil spring assembly, extractor, and trigger mechanism housing/ejector), and finally 4) If the issue(s) have been resolved, and if I ordered an Gen4, would it be one of the ones with the "fix components" installed (Glock tends to batch-produce, so there could be a lag while the Glocks in the pipeline are flushed out-I didn't want to be a "flushee" (despite my ability to get the corrective parts expeditiously). Finally, I'm franky unconvinced that the 9mm Glocks, and the G19 in particular really need or benefit all that much from the Gen4 changes.

Upon arrival, I had the department Armorer install Glock steel sights to replace the polymer ones-I've actually had excellent results with the Glock sight picture, and for a grand total of $26, the steel sights give me a durable and inexpensive solution, until I decide to go with a set of Warren Tacticals (as on my G34) or Ameriglo Kyle Defoors-or just remain with the Glock steels. I also immediately replaced the OEM extractor with an older, but brand new extractor. There was a discernable finish difference between the two extractors; the one that came OEM with the gun was shiny black (and somewhat difficult to remove from the gun); the older extractor is matte gray. The one that came with the gun also had the dip at the top, so despite the fact that my particular G19 was very recently produced (with an "SDA" serial prefix, and an expended cartridge casing envelope collection date of 10/11/11-the gun arrived on 10/14/11, so they don't get much newer than that). Judging by previous descriptions, it certainly sounds like mine came with the MIM extractor, so I'm uncertain how effective the distribution of the new non-MIM extractors to the production line has been (or if they're being constrained to the Gen4 guns for the time being).

Along with the extractor and sight replacements, I also replaced the serrated triggerbar with a smooth trigger (using a Gen 3.5 triggerbar); the standard 5.5 lb connector was replaced with a 4.5 "minus" connector, and the coil trigger spring was replaced with a NY1 unit, and the flat OEM slide stop was replaced with a Glock extended slide stop/release.

The gun was then lubed with TW25B (connector/triggerbar interface, cam bump-out in the slide, locking block and barrel lug interface) and with Weapon Shield for the other lube points. On dry-firing, the slide reciprocation seemed to be noticably harsh and grating (compared to my earlier black oxide finished Gen 3 Glocks-this new one has the new chalky gray finish, so I'm assuing that the harshness was finish-related), so I also applied TW25B to the slide and receiver rail areas, on top of the previously applied Weapon Shield; hopefully this lubrication plus burnishing through use will significantly smooth things out.

The triggerpull with the Gen 3.5 triggerbar, minus connector, and NY1 seems to be pretty nice-crisp and with a short, but discernable reset, with pull weight probably around about 6-6.5 lbs.

I'll do my initial familiarization/function confirmation/zeroing firing shortly, but I thought this information pertaining to the current production Gen 3 gun(s) might be of some interest in the meantime.

Best, Jon

I bought a new Gen 3 G19 last week. The date on the cartridge envelope was 09/11/11. I didn't know they were still making Gen 3 as the Gen 4s are now out. Can you give me a link as to where to find the NY triggers?? Nice gun and I have put 300 flawless rounds through it so far.

JV_
10-18-2011, 06:44 AM
Can you give me a link as to where to find the NY triggers??

Glockmeister has both the NY1 trigger spring and OEM 4.5# connectors
http://www.glockmeister.com/Trigger-Parts/products/94/

doose
10-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Glockmeister has both the NY1 trigger spring and OEM 4.5# connectors
http://www.glockmeister.com/Trigger-Parts/products/94/

Thank you sir!! Sorry, I should have searched first. I will next time. Thank you for the link.
Are they easy to install??

JV_
10-19-2011, 12:56 PM
Are they easy to install??Yep.

BN
10-19-2011, 02:53 PM
I won a "random Glock" at a GSSF match. I have the certificate and still haven't decided what to get. A Gen 3 G17 is winning right now. :)

Bill

JonInWA
10-19-2011, 02:57 PM
It's hard to go wrong with that choice, Bill. If a Gen 3 RTF2 G17 had been an available selection, I might well have gone that route as a companion G17 to my existing Gen 3 G17.

Later this afternoon, I'm meeting with a friend (who luckily secured one of the Gen 3 RTF2 G19s earlier this year) at the range, and we're going to have "G19polluza" with him bringing and shooting his (to which we've retained the standard connector, but gone the NY1 spring route) and me breaking in my new G19, and also sending some rounds downrange with my other Gen 3 G19 to which I've installed one of the "dot"/#5 connectors in a new trigger housing mechanism with a new coil triggerspring.

Best, Jon

JHC
10-19-2011, 05:06 PM
I really like the RTF2 G19 I bought this year but one must be extra selective about cover garments. Some it grabs like a pitbull.

JonInWA
10-20-2011, 07:58 AM
Yesterday afternoon's initial firing went well. Just what you would expect out of a Gen 3-Zero issues of any kind, and a normal ejection pattern regarding expended cartridge cases (replacing what appeared to be a MIM extractor with the slightly earlier non-MIM LCI extractor might have been a good call on my part-the OEM extractor will probably reside unused in my Armorer's spare parts box). With the Gen 3.5 triggerbar, the "-" connector feels a bit heavier than with the previous Gen 3 triggerbar (or it could simply be individual variation inherent to the connector). I may replace the Gen 5.5 bar with the earlier Gen 3 triggerbar; I'll spend a bit more time with the current set-up first. My understanding is that the extended "dogleg" on the 3.5 bar can slightly increase the triggerpull weight (which may account for the carrying case's lable specifying "5.5 lb" triggerpull versus the previously (pre Gen 3.5 triggerbar) "5 lbs" specification). The gun seems exceptionally accurate; estimated accuracy (most shots were at 7-10 yards) was 1" to 1.5"-works for me. The triggerbar/minus connector/NY1 spring does require more familarization/work for consistant, instinctive accurate shot placement-I found myself tending to pull shots a bit low due to the triggerpull characteristics.

I also shot my older Gen 3, with its Gen 3.5 triggerbar, coil trigger spring, and "dot" #5 connector. It shot like a house afire-exceptional accuracy and exceptionally easy, natural triggerpulls, 1" accuracy at 7 yards. I was originally a bit concerned after dryfire practice that the "dot" connector might be a tad too light (with an estimated 4.5 - 5 lb triggerpull) in a Gen 3 gun, and that I might need to replace the coil trigger spring with a NY1, but now things are staying just as they are, at least for the time being.

Best, Jon

JonInWA
10-26-2011, 01:41 PM
After discussing the respective characteristics of the Gen 3 and Gen 3.5 triggerbars with our Glock LE rep (essentially the Gen 3.5 triggerbar was designed in correlation with the Gen4; I've found that while it provides a very crisp, rolling break and a discernable reset point, it does slightly increase the triggerpull weight (apparently as a byproduct of the lengthened and channeled "dogleg" coil spring attachment point). The difference was very noticable when working out with my Gen 3 G34, which I also have set up with a "minus" 4.5 lb connector and NY1 spring; the G34's triggerpull was lighter and seemed a bit "looser" (for lack of a better term-although it's hardly sloppy).

Since I found that the Gen 3.5's pull weight required me to work a bit harder to get ideal hit tuning, and since I'd had excellent results (for me) (particularly accuracy-wise) at our monthly IDPA match with the G34, I decided that a lighter pull on the new G19 might be a bit more ideal. I wanted to keep the minus connector/NY1 combination, so I've gone back to a Gen 3 triggerbar, which does in fact provide a bit of a lighter pull weight. Fortunately, the one I installed also provides a crisp, rolling break and a crisp, discernable reset point. The shorter "tail" does seem to lighten the pull weight, and the lack of the Gen 3.5's coil trigger spring's preserving bend and channel is irrelevant, since I'm running the NY1 in the gun.

The trigger pull is still a bit heavier than that on my G34, but that may simply be a function of gun-to-gun (or connector/triggerbar) variation. Or simply becaues I have more rounds through the G34, and the parts have burnished together more so than on the G19 at this stage.

Since I don't have a trigger pull weight tool, I'd guess the the pull weight with the Gen 3.5 triggerbar (with the 4.5lb minus connector and NY1 spring was about 7.5 lbs; with the Gen 3 triggerbar, minus/4.5 lb connector and NY1 spring, I estimate the pull weight to be somewhere around 6-7 lbs. I plan on using the new G19 in this configuration for my November IDPA match.

In my older Gen 3 G19, I remain very pleased with the combination of the Gen 3.5 triggerbar, "dot"/#5 connector, and coil trigger spring. It's pull weight is slightly lighter (but with a totally different/two-stage pull feel) that that on the new G19 outfitted as discussed above.

Best, Jon

JonInWA
11-28-2011, 04:09 PM
The new G19 performed very, very nicely at our local IDPA match last weekend. It's always a good sign (and feeling) to achieve a "down 0" on the first stage of the day, which included a combination of fast close-in shooting on the move, while retreating to cover, and then some medium-distance shooting. I was pleased with the rest of the stages, although I didn't quite equal my first stage performance on any of the subsequent ones. My "points down" penalties tended to be for shots a bit low, so I need to practice/concentrate on my triggerpulls. No operational issues whatsoever were encountered, and the expended cartridge ejection pattern was unremarkable/normal, so the extractor switch from the get-go was probably a good move on my part. And while I'm hardly going to assert that the Glock (steel) sights are equal to the set of Warren Tacticals that I have installed on my G34, the reality for me is that they provide a very quick and usable sight picture, despite the crowded "goal post" rear sight notch with insignificant light bars due to the wide front sight with its large white dot.

Best, Jon