PDA

View Full Version : Stable Shooting Platform

xmanhockey7
03-17-2016, 04:52 AM
Recently I've become more and more interested in finding the right ammo for each gun. With my Glock 19 at 25 yards I'll shoot around a 70, 10 shots on a B8 target. I know, not good. With my Nighthawk 9mm RMR I'm low 90s. Anyway, I have purchased some different types of carry ammo to shoot in my Nighthawk, G19, and S&W Shield. What I'm trying to figure out is the best way to give myself a stable platform to remove as much of me from the equation as possible. I will be doing all the testing at 25 yards.

Currently I shoot on a friend's private property and don't have any tables or chairs out there with me. I've tried shooting prone, but I found I shoot as good or even better standing up unsupported. One way I'm considering is sitting on my butt with my knees up and resting my forearms on my knees. Messing around with it and a red dot I find the dot stays very still in that position.

What have you all found works best? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

PNWTO
03-17-2016, 08:56 AM
Obviously, a bench and a rest are the only way to really Occam-ize your efforts. In the past I have found fair success with a sitting position Elmer Keith was fond of; here it is supported and unsupported.

I'm sure there is name for it. What are the mechanics of your prone? I find making a fist with my off-hand and rest the grip on it works well.

1slow
03-17-2016, 10:05 AM
Elmer Keith is worth reading. Ross Seyfried said that when he met Keith that he was getting old and frail but was still good past belief. This from a world combat pistol champion among other notable shooting skills.

Top position is very solid if you have something to lean against.

2nd position is Creedmore prone I believe.

okie john
03-17-2016, 10:32 AM
Currently I shoot on a friend's private property and don't have any tables or chairs out there with me. I've tried shooting prone, but I found I shoot as good or even better standing up unsupported. One way I'm considering is sitting on my butt with my knees up and resting my forearms on my knees. Messing around with it and a red dot I find the dot stays very still in that position.

What have you all found works best? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

A lot of folks think that changing position to a rest, prone, or some variation of the Keith position will shrink groups all by itself, but that's not true. Any of these things CAN do that, but each has its peculiarities. You have to learn how to shoot well in each position and then practice them to get the best results. If you don't, as you've found, your results may even be worse. For example, I've found some keys to shooting well in the Keith position.

Eating a big meal in the 2-3 hours before you shoot will cause your heart to pound, which makes it far harder to shoot small groups. This is true for any rested position or when shooting a rifle with a classic loop sling.
Rest your back against something solid. Look at pictures in Keith's books and you'll see his back up against a tree or a car tire or a post. What you don't see is that you have to put the meaty part of your back (on one side of the spine, not the center) up against the rest.
Breathing matters, and it's hard to breathe in the Keith backrest position. Every 2-3 shots, take a break, get a few deep breaths, and get the oxygen levels in your blood back up.

I've had good luck with the Keith position and rollover prone, but I never mastered shooting seated from a rest with a pistol, probably because I never figured out the secrets.

Okie John

HopetonBrown
03-22-2016, 07:28 PM
What I'm trying to figure out is the best way to give myself a stable platform to remove as much of me from the equation as possible.

Aren't you the critical part of the equation?

45dotACP
03-22-2016, 07:33 PM
Obviously, a bench and a rest are the only way to really Occam-ize your efforts. In the past I have found fair success with a sitting position Elmer Keith was fond of; here it is supported and unsupported.

I'm sure there is name for it. What are the mechanics of your prone? I find making a fist with my off-hand and rest the grip on it works well.

Man, that is a thirty gallon hat on a ten gallon head....