PDA

View Full Version : Benelli M1,M2 vs M4 tactical?

gqllc007
03-16-2016, 07:52 PM
What are the differences between these three? Looking for a home defense semi auto pistol gripped shotgun. The M4 is quite a bit more money. What does that extra money buy me?

SpyderMan2k4
03-16-2016, 07:55 PM
The short version- the M4 is gas operated, opposed to inertia driven, which seems to be generally more reliable, though heavier.

VolGrad
03-16-2016, 08:25 PM
My M1 is heavy enough. Don't need that extra weight

HCM
03-17-2016, 01:43 AM
The M2 is a slightly updated version of the M1. The biggest upgrade being the comfort tec stock. The M1/M2 is intertia operated. Very reliable with full power duty / defense loads, may not be 100 % with light birdshot etc. the inertia operation also gives you slightly more felt recoil.

I've had my M1 since 1988. They are awesome. It points like a fitted sporting shotgun. Like pointing your finger.

I had an M4 - it is heavier, reliable with all types of loads but points and handles like a 2x4. It went down the road. I'd like to try the 14" version with a conventional stock as it may address some of the deficiencies I found in the M4.

SteveB
03-19-2016, 09:40 AM
The M2 is a great gun. Mine shoots everything without a hitch. Our local club does a lot of 2-gun matches; I loan out the M2 for guys to try, so it sees a lot of #7 1/2-8 target loads (clays loads not ultra low recoil loads) and it runs great. I put the Scalarworks mount on it, an excellent mount for an RMR:

JAD
04-05-2016, 10:19 AM
Sorry to necro this thread, but I had a couple of questions on this line based on what I /used/ to know about shotguns, which was a long time ago and a couple lanes over.

First, for those familiar with the Haught technique: when I took his class in the nineties, there were a couple of M1s in the class, and the technique properly applied seemed to make them not work. I like the technique and would not want a gun that was incompatible with it. Is the M2 incompatible with it?

Second, I vaguely remember stuff about receiver stretching when using a pinned-on side saddle. Is that an issue with the M2? Does it affect the problem with the Haught technique I described above? Does it matter now that side saddles seem to be glued on rather than pinned?

GJM
04-05-2016, 05:15 PM
Don't get a Benelli M2 if you want to hang crap on it. Recently, a PF member reported problems even with a SF fore end. Not sure about the Haught push, as I have heard it to be a problem. Hasn't been for me with Brenneke magnum slugs, but maybe so with crap hung on it, lighter loads and a stronger push.

JAD
04-05-2016, 09:33 PM
I run my shotgun smooth, but you never know.