PDA

View Full Version : Concealable OWB holster?

Duces Tecum
03-16-2016, 01:01 PM
Are there any recommendations for a concealable OWB holster? Appendix doesn't work for me when wearing go-to-meetin' clothes. I'm hoping someone makes a highly concealable outside waistband holster suitable for wear beneath a suit?

FNFAN
03-16-2016, 01:05 PM
Alessi DOJ works well. Keeps everything snug against your hip and is available with thumb break retention.

3-7-77
03-16-2016, 01:07 PM
Galco Concealable or Combat Master holsters have worked well for me in the past.

HopetonBrown
03-16-2016, 02:03 PM
JM Custom Kydex owb v1 or v2

JonInWA
03-16-2016, 02:04 PM
Biachi's Professional 100 has worked pretty well for me; it's slimness is achieved at the cost of not having a reinforced holster mouth, so be aware that re-holstering will probably 1) not be speedily accomplished, and 2) may end up being a 2-handed affair.

Another good one is Tactical Tailor's Low Profile Holster; it's inexpensive, and a surprisingly good piece of kit, and adaptable to a variety of platforms.

Olen Holsters has some excellent kydex models, but they're a little on the larger size compared to the 2 above.

Best, Jon

Ntexwheels
03-16-2016, 02:21 PM
The Galco Double Time holster is another good one. Depending on the fitting you use from the kit that comes with it, it can be used OWB or IWB

BillSWPA
03-16-2016, 02:36 PM
I have had excellent results with a Kramer Belt Scabbard. On a good belt, it conceals very well. It retains the gun well, and provides a smooth draw. Retention is quite secure despite the open top style. Height and cant are ideal in my opinion.

I prefer leather for OWB holsters due to issues with some polymer OWB holsters breaking during gun grab attempts in training classes.

SAWBONES
03-16-2016, 03:16 PM
Concealability with OWB carry obviously very much depends upon the size, especially the length, of the gun, and of course upon the cover garment being adequately long. (With a suit jacket, almost anything should be OK.)

I'll cast another vote for JM Kydex's original OWB.

Though I'd occasionally carried a J-frame OWB in a leather Alessi CQC/S before, I'd never even considered carrying a semiauto pistol OWB till I tried JM's. I use one with the G26 frequently now, and it conceals quite well with just a sweater or vest, and is both comfortable and accessible.

okie john
03-16-2016, 03:52 PM
I have had excellent results with a Kramer Belt Scabbard.

This was my experience when I carried a 1911.

Okie John

Duces Tecum
03-16-2016, 05:33 PM
Thanks guys. None of those suggestions were on my radar, so I'm grateful for the referrals.

ReverendMeat
03-16-2016, 09:16 PM
There's a billion similarly styled Kydex OWBs on the market right now, pretty much any of them ought to do the trick. My personal favorite is a Cane & Derby Pardus, but unfortunately it looks like they no longer exist. I've been using a setup like this (http://raven-concealment-systems.mybigcommerce.com/owb-pancake-wings/) for awhile with a 5" 1911 and a P229 and it worked very well for me.

LSP552
03-16-2016, 09:29 PM
The Mitch Rosen 5JR is the best OWB holster I've used. It holds the pistol tight to the body, is fast, and conceals very well. It's the only OWB Ive used for several years.

JAD
03-16-2016, 09:53 PM
I'm very impressed with my Jim Ryan SSA.

SeriousStudent
03-16-2016, 10:15 PM
I'm very impressed with my Jim Ryan SSA.

I have an SSA, and love it. It is my favorite holster, and looks very classy as well.

Sero Sed Serio
03-16-2016, 10:57 PM
For leather I like the Kramer belt scabbard (I prefer horsehide), for kydex the JMCK OWB #2

JTQ
03-17-2016, 06:14 AM
There are a lot of options, but the two characteristics I'd look for would be a trailing loop and muzzle rear (FBI) cant. The trailing loop will pull the grip to the body and the cant will get the grip more vertical and slide more horizontal.

The two basic OWB styles would be either a pancake (already mentioned Rosen 5JR and Kramer Scabbard) or a Bruce Nelson #1 Professional/Avenger style like Milt Sparks 55BN.

I prefer pancakes. I think the two outboard loops holds the gun closer and allows me more options for placement on the belt.

BillSWPA
03-17-2016, 07:55 AM
Cant is going to be dependent on where you carry the gun on your belt. More cant only helps to a point, after which it becomes counterproductive. While some cant can keep the grip from protruding out when you bend at the waist, too much causes the back of the slide to protrude out, as well as complicating the draw.

For me, considering the belt buckle as 12:00, I carry at about 3:30. In this position, 10 degrees of cant is perfect for most guns. 15 degrees works reasonably well, but any more is problematic. With my Glock 26, with its short grip and long back end, vertical to 5 degrees works best.

JTQ
03-17-2016, 08:12 AM
It also depends on the size of the gun.

A little gun like a G26 could be carried with straight drop with no issues. The barrel and grip are so short, cant makes very little difference for concealment, and you are really only choosing cant with that little gun for draw stroke preference.

A full size gun like a 1911 or Beretta 92 gets a lot of benefit from more cant. Getting the longer grips more vertical, as you mentioned, keeps it from poking out the back, and getting the longer barrel more horizontal helps you avoid an extremely high riding holster or a very long cover garment.

Irelander
03-17-2016, 10:22 AM
Fricke Gideon Elite.

Duces Tecum
03-17-2016, 10:27 AM
JTQ, BillSWPA, thank you.

peterb
03-17-2016, 12:02 PM
There was a thread here about the Safariland 537 if you want something with a retention feature.

MGW
03-17-2016, 10:03 PM
It been using a Raven with the wings. It works really well for me with a Glock 19.

Crews
03-18-2016, 02:34 PM
I have an SSA, and love it. It is my favorite holster, and looks very classy as well.

So I am a pretty small guy, but I find the SSA decidedly unconcealable with a double stack 9mm. It is a great holster, but with the front loop under the body of the gun, it just sticks out too far for my taste. No grip printing issues though. I use it all the time, but it is usually in the boat, at the ranch, or other places where open carry is okay. Never for concealment.

YVK
03-18-2016, 07:33 PM
Fricke Gideon Elite.

Yes, an excellent OWB holster.

SteveB
03-19-2016, 12:49 PM
Are there any recommendations for a concealable OWB holster? Appendix doesn't work for me when wearing go-to-meetin' clothes. I'm hoping someone makes a highly concealable outside waistband holster suitable for wear beneath a suit?

Which pistol?

SteveB
03-19-2016, 12:55 PM
The Mitch Rosen 5JR is the best OWB holster I've used. It holds the pistol tight to the body, is fast, and conceals very well. It's the only OWB Ive used for several years.

This is a great holster, as is Rosen's Upper Limit. Check out the Express Line which is cheaper, usually available quickly; still great quality.

Holmes375
03-19-2016, 02:14 PM
I quite like Rosen's Upper Limit for compact and sub-compact pistols at the 3:00-3:30 position or cross draw.

Ryan77
03-21-2016, 07:51 PM
I have a Galco concealable, x-concealment C-model, Glock sport holster, safariland als, and desantis tac pro for owb. Would probably recommend the x-concealment model "C".

The galco is nice but cant forces it to 5-530.

Chuck Whitlock
03-24-2016, 06:10 PM
I have had excellent results with a Kramer Belt Scabbard. On a good belt, it conceals very well. It retains the gun well, and provides a smooth draw. Retention is quite secure despite the open top style. Height and cant are ideal in my opinion.

I prefer leather for OWB holsters due to issues with some polymer OWB holsters breaking during gun grab attempts in training classes.

Another vote for the Kramer.

farscott
03-24-2016, 06:22 PM
I have had decent luck with a Sparks Axiom mated to a Sparks tapered belt under a suit jacket. One caveat: the gun is tough on the lining of the suit jacket. No matter how dehorned the gun, the jacket lining takes a beating and the jacket does not drape properly. I take my gun and holster to my tailor, so my bespoke suit jackets and pants can be suitably reinforced. This is fairly common for custom suits, so just check with your tailor before visiting.

GyroF-16
03-24-2016, 10:18 PM
This is a great holster, as is Rosen's Upper Limit. Check out the Express Line which is cheaper, usually available quickly; still great quality.

x2 (or x3) for Mitch Rosen's 5JR. I tried the Galco Concealable for awhile, but it had too much cant for my taste. The 5JR from the Express Line was pretty much perfect. Gun was a Beretta 92 Compact with a bobbed hammer. This holster was my go-to for years before going to a Milt Sparks VM2 IWB. It spoiled me, and I've rarely gone with OWB since.

Cool Breeze
03-25-2016, 12:48 AM
So I am a pretty small guy, but I find the SSA decidedly unconcealable with a double stack 9mm. It is a great holster, but with the front loop under the body of the gun, it just sticks out too far for my taste. No grip printing issues though. I use it all the time, but it is usually in the boat, at the ranch, or other places where open carry is okay. Never for concealment.

what do you you use for something concealable if you don't mind me asking?

Crews
03-25-2016, 01:08 PM
For the full size guns, a Raven with pancake wings works well. Also, a JMCK has worked well too. I am currently awaiting a JRC HR-1 with forward cant, to be used with a compact gun.

Lost River
03-25-2016, 02:04 PM
The old school Milt Sparks 55BN straight drop has always worked great for me.

Shown with large and small frame Glocks:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/015.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/015.jpg.html)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/ArmoryM242009.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/ArmoryM242009.jpg.html)

Wondering Beard
03-25-2016, 04:27 PM
I have a 55BN for my gen2 G21 (bought way before kydex became so easily available) and while it's a great holster overall, the unreinforced leather covering the trigger guard had a tendency to bend in (under the down push of the trigger guard) when trying to reholster. It just made me more careful about reholstering.

JAD
03-25-2016, 10:44 PM

DB runs his with a 5' reverse cant forward of the hip -- his is for a VP9. Mine is for a government model. It has a 5' forward rake and I run it at 3:00. No problems concealing that gun in that holster with a blazer.