PDA

View Full Version : What are the differences in 3.5 connectors for glock?

frankepc
10-16-2011, 09:20 AM
Can anyone make a good suggestion as to what are the major differences if any between the Zev Tech V3 Race Connector, The ghost 3.5 Connector, and the vanek Tuned 3.5 Glock Connector? I just want a drop in part that will work well In conjunction with the NY trigger spring. What are your experiences with these or other connectors, good or bad.

JConn
10-16-2011, 09:30 AM
I know there are people more qualified to answer this than me, but if you want a part that will drop in with no issues, just use an OEM 3.5 "-" connector. I have used the zev-tech and I did not like the way it broke. It felt like the shot went off after I finished pulling the trigger. I currently run the OEM - connector with ny1 and like it a lot. YMMV.

Ga Shooter
10-16-2011, 11:00 AM
FWIW (not much) I personally hate the NY combo of any kind. To me it makes my Glock feel weird( I am sure I will get flamed for that comment), but I do like the Ghost 3.5 connector. It has been so long since I have run the OEM - connector that I do not remember why I stuck with the Ghost but there was a difference to me anyway.

Long tom coffin
10-17-2011, 12:23 PM
FWIW (not much) I personally hate the NY combo of any kind. To me it makes my Glock feel weird( I am sure I will get flamed for that comment), but I do like the Ghost 3.5 connector. It has been so long since I have run the OEM - connector that I do not remember why I stuck with the Ghost but there was a difference to me anyway.

Actually, I like the NY1/3.5 combo. It does make the the trigger pull heavier, but that doesn't really bother me. What I'm really interested in is smoothing out the break; the stock setup is too sharp for my tastes. The NY1 seems to inspire either love or revulsion, depending on your trigger preferences :). For the same reason I have moved on to the "." connector for the Gen 4. With my carry G19, which has several thousand rounds through it, the dot gives an even 5# trigger with a smooth, easy break. Love it love it love it. I shoot better with that G19 than I ever have with any other gun.

As for the 3.5# connectors, I would highly encourage the OP to go with previous advice and stick with the OEM "-". It is my general advice as well to stick with OEM parts for your Glocks whenever and wherever possible. Aftermarket parts, generally do not have the same QC and tolerance control as OEM parts do. While it is very true that some aftermarket parts are quality, you can never be 100% sure. There are some situations that will require aftermarket parts (for example, some of the issues with Gen4's have been fixed with aftermarket parts for some), but on the whole it's safer to stay OEM . Vanek seems to be okay, but I have see some absolutely hideous QC fails with Ghost parts and other aftermarket suppliers.

EDIT: I also forgot to clarify as to whether or not you are asking because you intend to drop into a race gun, or a dedicated self defense pistol? Since you are posting on a self defense themed forum, I'm assuming it is for a carry weapon, so all my above advice applies. Keep it OEM wherever and whenever possible to increase reliability and reduce the chance of malfunction. I use an OEM 3.5 and NY1 in my Gen 3 19, and besides being cheap it gives a nice, smooth pull with an easy break. If this is a race gun, feel free to screw around with it however much you desire. Vanek parts are good for that, and I've seen some pretty amazing race guns with Vanek connectors and Fulcrum triggers.

frankepc
10-17-2011, 02:05 PM
This is going to be for a duty gun (BUG), but if I like it I may update my primary duty weapon with the same set up. Thanks for all the advice much aprreciated. Even though I've been working with the glock for the past year and a half I haven't really put as much time training with the platform as I'de like.

JonInWA
10-17-2011, 06:10 PM
Tom and others have made some excellent points. Particularly if the gun is to be used in line of duty, I'd keep it in compliance with departmental policy-check with your Armorer/chain of command for specific guidance. I just found out literally today that one department (and a fairly large one) that issues Glocks cannot deviate from them as supplied by Glock per their contract, with the exception of the "dot" connector replacing the OEM ones on their Gen4 guns.

In other words, you're probably gonna have to keep the gun pretty much stock (or stock as your department defines it), and sticking with OEM or approved vendor components.

For training and quality assurance points, that actually makes a lot of sense. If nothing else, it'll force you to learn to train and use the tool "as is" instead of constantly chasing around for interesting hardware solutions.

Best, Jon