PDA

View Full Version : new to precision rifle

Argus
10-15-2011, 05:31 PM
I've got a .308 Remington LTR that I bought several years ago. I got it primarily for deer hunting, and when I got it, all I did was add a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40 scope pulled off an old Savage .30-06 that I had sold. The scope is mounted on a 2-piece Leupold dovetail base with Leupold rings. I've got a cheapo Dick's Sporting Goods sling on the rifle, and no bipod.

I guess I've decided that I need yet another new and expensive gun-related hobby, so I'd like to get started with precision shooting. I figure I'll want to get a bipod, and upgrade the base, rings, glass and sling. I'd like opinions on what I should get and in what order I should upgrade. Right now I could probably only put about $400 - $500 towards this project, which rules out replacing the scope currently. Does it make more sense to just buy some ammo, practice with what I've got and save my pennies until I can buy everything at once? Or can I start off with some incremental upgrades (bipod, base, etc), then save up for a better scope?

Honestly, as it sits the rifle is probably already capable of more accuracy than I am at the distances that I currently shoot (under 200 yards). But I'd like to build my capability to shoot farther, and besides, what fun is a new hobby without expensive new stuff? So any recommendations on upgrades as well as resources and tips for getting started would be most appreciated.

JV_
10-15-2011, 06:04 PM
Here's how I'd spend your $$:

Harris Swivel Bipod (BRM-S) w/ KMW Pod Lock (don't get a cheap no name kit - get the KMW)
TAB rifle sling
NightForce Ultralight Base & Ultralight Rings

With some decent hand loads, that setup will last you a long while.

Argus
10-15-2011, 09:08 PM
Thanks JV. I will most likely start off with the bipod and pod lock first. The NF ultralight base looks really cool. Unfortunately, my Bushnell scope has a 1" tube. I'm sure that whatever scope I end up going to in the long run will be a 30mm. So I guess I'll have to hold off on that until I upgrade the scope, or maybe get a different base and plan on buying new rings when I get a new scope.

The TAB sling is new to me. I have previously looked at the TIS Quick Cuff, but pretty much all I know about employing slings for precision shooting is what I've read on the interwebs. Any particular reason to pick the TAB over the TIS?

JV_
10-15-2011, 09:16 PM
If you wanted to get new 30mm rings now, you could run it with 1" ring reducers.

The Quick Cuff has a velcro arm band that clips in to your sling. I prefer slings without that arm band. TIS makes a non cuff sling, the Slip Cuff, but I've never used it.

I have a personal preference for TAB products, but Mike Miller / TIS makes a quality product.

Ga Shooter
10-16-2011, 11:07 AM
JV hit the nail on the head but I would like to add lots of money and time on practice. If the setup you have is more accurate than you out to 200 (not really that far for precision work) I would not upgrade to much until it become a problem because you are better than the rifle. Even with certain equipment limitations once you really know the weapon and how it handles your skill should be able to ovecome those limitations to a certain extent. YMMV

Argus
10-16-2011, 04:10 PM
Thanks. Went out today and got a BRMS and KMW Pod-Lok at the gun show. For $120 with the pod lok installed, seemed like a reasonable price compared to online. Somehow the idea of ring reducers never even occurred to me. I will definitely look into the NF ultralight base/rings with some reducers so I can use my current scope.

GA Shooter, I do intend to practice as much as I can (while continuing to focus on building my pistol skills). Thanks for the suggestions.

I've been reading SnipersHide for a while now, and have started looking at some YouTubes, but as a relative newbie it's hard to filter out the BS from the good info. Any suggestions for additional information sources to explore?

Ga Shooter
10-16-2011, 06:05 PM
Check and see if there are any local schools close to you that offer long range precision training. If not maybe some .mil guys close by that are/was snipers. Also what I have found is once you get the squeezing of the trigger down and your breath control right is studying ballistics. Memorize the ballistics charts of the ammo you are using and then prove it right(or wrong) on paper. This has helped me more than anything.

JV_
10-16-2011, 06:17 PM
Have you shot any of the Quantico matches yet?