PDA

View Full Version : Doing so many things wrong at so many levels..

Jillybean
03-15-2016, 08:54 AM
Beginner. That's me. First thing I did wrong was to buy a gun online without trying it out. It has been over 20 year's since I have fired or even held a gun. Second thing I did wrong was not applying for the permit prior to purchasing the gun. Third(or maybe first) was not enrolling in at least a safety class. The gun that I bought is a Taurus 1-809041. I really don't even know the best ammo(low recoil) to buy for this weapon. I do plan to enroll in some classes even though I really do not think this is not the gun for me to carry concealed(long, long way from that). Really, I just want to keep my Dad stimulated when he retires. He is retired military and currently aged 77. Shooting was something we did together when I was a child and I think he needs it in additional to his favorite pastime. Please help!! Is this too much gun for a 5'1" woman? What ammo do you recommend? Have a great week everyone!!:D:D:D

Luke
03-15-2016, 09:17 AM
It looks like you've made a turn for the better coming here!

This thread was started by a lady with similar questions/worries. I think you may find it helpful.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?18784-So-new-to-owning-a-weapon-it-is-scary

David S.
03-15-2016, 10:15 AM
Sweet. Welcome to the forum and welcome back to firearms.

Much of your questions depend on your budget and how interested you are in using the firearm for defense.

Ammo: 9mm generally 115, 124 and 147 grain varieties which indicate bullet weight. Practice ammo generally has a round nose and defense ammo has a hollow nose (hollow point) that expands on impact. This increases the damage done by the bullet. On defensive ammo (and some practice ammo) you may also see +P or +P+. This indicates higher pressure rounds that increase bullet velocity, possibly increasing terminal performance. A side effect of this increased pressure is increased recoil.

For now, look for 115 gr. round nose and avoid the +P and +P+ designation, especially if you are recoil sensitive. You can generally buy this by the box at wal-mart or your local sporting goods store, or in bulk online at vendors like SGAmmo.com and many others.

Gun. If your budget allows, you might consider upgrading to a higher quality gun, but don't necessarily need to. In all honesty, the Taurus PT-809 is a cheap gun that may work fine or it may not. You could say this about any gun, but it's especially true in this case. Only time will tell. Because you intend to spend time training before you rely on it for self defense, I see no problem learning with it and then reevaluating after you have significant number of rounds through it. There are some benefits to doing so.

Good training should be able to help you manage the size and recoil.

Look into competition such as IDPA and USPSA as a good way to have fun with each other with guns.

Lomshek
03-16-2016, 01:21 AM
If the Taurus is mechanically safe/not prone to malfunctions and fits your hands such that you can manipulate the controls it'll do at the least as a starter pistol until you get more practice and an idea of your preferences.

The full size gun is far better to practice on than some compact or tiny "girl's gun" so you're actually doing the right thing by starting with a bigger gun (as long as it fits your hand size).

For practice ammo it's as David says. Go with basic Winchester, Federal or Remington 100 packs (or larger) of FMJ (non hollowpoint) ammo that you can get at Walmart or the local gun store. Bullet weight isn't that important for practice especially initially.

HCM
03-16-2016, 02:28 AM
Good advice above regarding ammo.

Does your dad already have pistols ? If so what caliber? If you both get into shooting regularly, it might make life easier logistically and financially if you can share ammo. Once you know what you like / need ammo in bulk is cheaper than buying retail.

For recreational shooting your Taurus should be fine, assuming it fits you and you can safely manipulate the controls. The downsized to Taurus is their quality control. You gun may work fine or not (reliability). It may work for awhile and break (durability). The good news is Taurus is very good about honoring their lifetime warranty.

jiminycricket
03-16-2016, 06:39 AM
Welcome! You're going to do great! Perhaps you put the cart before the horse, but it's no biggie. Definitely take a class, but I would even suggest a private lesson for both you and your father. One on one instruction almost always proves more beneficial.

A proper introduction to handgunning will at least consist of:

Safety—first and foremost and always in the foreground throughout the lesson

Pistol/Revolver nomenclature and functioning
which will segue into
Operation of the weapon—how the weapon is loaded, fired, unloaded, proper ammo selection

Marksmanship—stance, grip, sight alignment, trigger control, etc.

Maintenance and Storage

Suggested reading

In the meantime, read the manual that comes with your gun, get yourself some eye and hearing protection, figure a means to keep the gun secure when you're not present, and write down the gun's serial number just in case it ever gets stolen.

Again to stress safety, always treat the gun as though it were loaded. We go about doing so by keeping our finger completely out of the trigger guard unless we have made the conscious decision to fire, and we never point the gun at anybody or anything we do not wish to destroy. Also be certain of your target as well as what's behind it and beside it.

It's always good to have a healthy dose of fear when handling a firearm; this breeds respect for the tool. It is when we become too accustomed and relaxed that accidents typically occur.

JFK
03-16-2016, 10:10 AM
This is all solid advice. I would also add looking into an all women's group. A Girl and a Gun is a national organization that may have a chapter in you area.

http://www.agirlandagun.org

The nice part about this is you can get objective and valuable advice with out the "let me show you how" that can sometimes accompany a different chromosome configuration.

In addition when you do decide to carry you will have access to people who have tried many products and carry methods specific to women. Sounds insignificant but let's face it the carry world makes products designed for men then adapted to women. Having a group that has done the research and real world testing from a women's view can really help you find what you want.

Welcome to the forum! You choose a good place.

peterb
03-16-2016, 11:55 AM
Welcome!

This site is a great resource for information on firearm skills and safety.

Make sure you have good eye and ear protection before you shoot.

For another perspective on firearm ownership and use, you might enjoy https://www.corneredcat.com/contents/

danok1
03-16-2016, 01:44 PM
Hi Jillybean,

Did you get the NC PPP yet? The process may take quite a while, depending on your county sheriff's office. I live in Union...took a week to process (and that was over the Washington's Birthday holiday). I know in Mecklenberg county it's taking well over a month.

(If you already have the permit, please disregard. :) )

-Dan

Jillybean
03-20-2016, 08:04 AM
Not yet. Put in the application on 3/14. Called 3/16 and it hadn't been processed yet. In all fairness, the lady in the Sheriff's office(Gaston County) said 8-10 business days. Even though the paperwork still said 3-5 business days. I will call tomorrow to see if it has been processed.

danok1
03-21-2016, 02:07 PM
I believe the law states the sheriff has 14 days after all paperwork is in to issue the PPP (assuming there are no disqualifying factors). I'd hold off on calling for another few days (I know you're anxious to get the pistol you've already paid for).

-Dan

Jillybean
04-02-2016, 07:10 AM
Got my permit, gun and some 9mm 115 grain ammo.

RJ
04-02-2016, 07:40 AM

Great. :)

Just to add my welcome to the others here. I'm a noob also; my wife and I started shooting in 2013, and pistol-forum is a great place to learn about shooting. My only take-away after two years is I wish I had spent less on hardware and cool gadgets and more on ammo and a basic firearms class (or classes) with a good instructor.

Good luck at the range!

Rich

Exurbankevin
04-02-2016, 08:27 AM

You have no idea how much hearing about people like yourself warms my heart. Keep doing what you're doing, and don't be afraid to ask "stupid" questions, they help avoid stupid mistakes.

Now get to the range! ;)