PDA

View Full Version : Pa. to Florida auto trip

11B10
03-14-2016, 10:41 AM
I apologize if this is in the wrong place - please feel free to move it if needed. I am planning on driving from Pa. to Florida this summer and have been trying to research how NOT to be a felon while crossing state lines with my firearms. I can think of no better place to seek the right information.

As near as I can determine: Pa. - ok. Md. - gun locked up in trunk. Va./North Carolina - ok. South Carolina - gun locked up in trunk. Ga./Fla. - ok.

There is no way I would use anybody's opinion given here as fact - I just want to hear if you folks think this sounds good to go - does it?

Much thanks in advance!

zml342
03-14-2016, 11:18 AM
Do you only have a PA LTCF or do you have an out of state license/permit as well? That will also determine what you need to do in Delaware (if you are taking 95S the whole way).

RoyGBiv
03-14-2016, 11:22 AM
+1 Need to know what permits you have, if any.

Www.handgunlaw.us is a great resource.

Josh Runkle
03-14-2016, 12:09 PM
Not an attorney...You should also read up on the interstate commerce clause. It is my understanding that you can transport just about anything through any state as long as you do not stop in that state. Obviously, this would mean boxed up, unloaded and not on the hip, but would allow for guns at your final destination that don't meet the standards of other states along the way.

Also, you could make a "round about" trip and take a different route that would add a lot of time, but allow you to drive through free states.

RoyGBiv
03-14-2016, 12:26 PM
Not an attorney...You should also read up on the interstate commerce clause. It is my understanding that you can transport just about anything through any state as long as you do not stop in that state. Obviously, this would mean boxed up, unloaded and not on the hip, but would allow for guns at your final destination that don't meet the standards of other states along the way.

Also, you could make a "round about" trip and take a different route that would add a lot of time, but allow you to drive through free states.

I think you meant FOPA, not ICC.

Josh Runkle
03-14-2016, 12:41 PM
I think you meant FOPA, not ICC.

Probably. Like I said...not an attorney. Good info. Thanks.

11B10
03-14-2016, 01:01 PM
+1 Need to know what permits you have, if any.

Www.handgunlaw.us is a great resource.

I have a Concealed Carry License for Pa. only.

KeeFus
03-14-2016, 01:15 PM
I have a Concealed Carry License for Pa. only.

NC recognizes PA permit. You're good here.

http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/19be6294-bfbf-4875-bbef-ac2ebb6f47b2/Concealed-Weapon-Reciprocity.aspx

Rob79
03-14-2016, 01:22 PM
Delaware has open carry and you should be fine if it is visible such as on the dashboard. However, for the twenty minute ride down 95 it would probably be easier to lock it away before Maryland.

voodoo_man
03-14-2016, 01:38 PM
Delaware has open carry and you should be fine if it is visible such as on the dashboard. However, for the twenty minute ride down 95 it would probably be easier to lock it away before Maryland.

DE does not accept PA LTCF and I would recommend locking it up.

coldcase1984
03-14-2016, 04:35 PM
I recommend moving to one of the 41 free states in America if possible...��

Hambo
03-14-2016, 04:55 PM
The only advice I can give is that some places here in Florida are at least two gun territory.

11B10
03-14-2016, 05:56 PM

Guess I wasn't very clear in my first post. First, this is two handguns - no long guns. I was planning on locking them up just before leaving Pa., leaving them there until we crossed into Va. - through NORTH Carolina, back in the trunk just before SOUTH Carolina - getting them out after crossing into Ga., keeping them out for the rest of the trip. That's how I interpreted handgunlawus.com. Someday I may bore you all with the saga of my quest for a license. It taught me a lot - is my CCL precious to me? Let's just say right now, I won't take ANY chances with a stupid state law ruining the beautiful relationships I have with my firearms! I've actually considered (and rejected) leaving them at home just so there was NO chance of a problem. Thanks so much for all the posts.

mc1911
03-14-2016, 06:20 PM
11B10, pm sent