PDA

View Full Version : New Cars!

TGS
03-13-2016, 11:10 AM
Excited for my new Subaru Outback. Well, used....it's a 2013, I never actually buy "new" cars. Subaru would certainly be the brand to do it with however, as they hold their value like crazy. It replaces my faithful 2002 Outback 3.0.

Drives really nice. Cruises at 90mph but feels like 45mph because of the CVT. Something I need to watch out for. Can't wait for next year's snowfall to take her out in!

http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q758/Finkerfuggles/20160312_130155_zpsynpsqqvg.jpg (http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/Finkerfuggles/media/20160312_130155_zpsynpsqqvg.jpg.html)

Anyone else get any new cars this year?

voodoo_man
03-13-2016, 11:19 AM
I am going to be buying a new vehicle in the next few months.

Up in the air about getting my wife a brand new Rogue SL AWD or getting myself something.

I like the XV Crosstrek enough to test drive it, though its just a little too small for my liking.

gkieser92
03-13-2016, 11:19 AM
I just got a used 2013 Honda Pilot. Seats 8 so I can haul the kiddos and their friends to basketball practice. Bucket seats are a little tight for strong side carry though. It should have enough off road ability for the roads I go hunting on too.

rd62
03-13-2016, 11:25 AM
I bought a new to me BMW 550i MSport. Love it. Comfortable for a long drive and for a four door sedan is an animal in sport mode.

pr1042
03-13-2016, 11:45 AM
posted in small truck thread but picked up last month

http://i65.tinypic.com/2d1pmk4.jpg

LockedBreech
03-13-2016, 11:50 AM
I got a 2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited two months ago, replacing a 2004 Honda Accord EX.

I loved my Honda, but the Subaru is so much better in the snow it's ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VolGrad
03-13-2016, 12:02 PM
What's a new car?

Still rolling along in my 2003 Tacoma and hoping to get another 10 years out of it.

TGS
03-13-2016, 01:30 PM

Up in the air about getting my wife a brand new Rogue SL AWD or getting myself something.

I like the XV Crosstrek enough to test drive it, though its just a little too small for my liking.

The XV Crosstrek is super cool looking (at least to me). I test drove it as well. It's just a lifted Impreza, so it's smaller than the Outback but that wasn't a huge deal for me. The Outback drives smoother, is comparable in price, gas mileage isn't an appreciable difference, and has the added benefit of the extra space.

Why not the Outback versus the Rogue?

I could see the XV Crosstrek being a fantastic option for someone with rough, tight roads....like St Croix or other third world/developing islands.

LockedBreech
03-13-2016, 02:24 PM
I liked the crosstrek, I thought it was super cool looking (dealership had an awesome fully loaded one with blue accents). Sadly, I'm 6'5" and 250 pounds so it was a bit tight.

Notable if you're a big guy like me, I have TONS of leg, knee, shoulder, and headroom in my Outback.

I know it was financially dumb to buy a brand new car, but so is owning 21 guns. I have no kids and it makes me happy, screw it.

Also I was enough of a nerd to pay for a month of Consumer Reports and nearly all Subarus get extremely high marks across the board. Loved my Honda and I test drove and enjoyed a 2016 CR-V but nearing 1000 miles with the new Subie I have zero complaints. It rules. It also gets BETTER mileage with AWD than my Accord got with FWD.

TGS
03-13-2016, 02:41 PM
I liked the crosstrek, I thought it was super cool looking (dealership had an awesome fully loaded one with blue accents). Sadly, I'm 6'5" and 250 pounds so it was a bit tight.

Notable if you're a big guy like me, I have TONS of leg, knee, shoulder, and headroom in my Outback.

I know it was financially dumb to buy a brand new car, but so is owning 21 guns. I have no kids and it makes me happy, screw it.

Also I was enough of a nerd to pay for a month of Consumer Reports and nearly all Subarus get extremely high marks across the board. Loved my Honda but nearing 1000 miles with the new Subie I have zero complaints. It rules.

I don't think buying a new Subaru is an entirely stupid thing, considering you are getting a brand new car with a warranty. They hold their value really, really well. To get one in my price range (under $20k), I had to go a few years old and 62000 miles. The only other Outbacks in my price range were older and higher mileage.

Fortunately I found one that is near pristine besides the miles. It's like they drove it 62000 miles in one trip and then sold it back to the dealership....looks perfectly brand new inside. The other one I was looking at was a Limited, a year older with 20,000 more miles, and the interior was apparently used as a dog's chew toy for a Fairfax County firefighter (they had literally just got the car in, hadn't taken his stickers off yet).

Totem Polar
03-13-2016, 02:49 PM
Just bought an *immaculate* 1986 Lincoln Town Car, in "collateral" grey inside and out, because: 18.5 feet long; Reagan era; 4 dead body trunk. Does that count?

TGS
03-13-2016, 02:55 PM
Just bought an *immaculate* 1986 Lincoln Town Car, in "collateral" grey inside and out, because: 18.5 feet long; Reagan era; 4 dead body trunk. Does that count?

That's actually pretty cool.

Pics.

ffhounddog
03-13-2016, 02:56 PM
Just got the wife and babies a Nissan Rouge. Finally something that get better than 18mpg.

Joe in PNG
03-13-2016, 03:11 PM
Not a car, but I'm in talks to pick up a new Honda NC 700 ABS this summer.

BehindBlueI's
03-13-2016, 03:18 PM

1995 Lincoln TC was the most comfortable car I ever owned. My wife *hated* it. She called it "your old man car" and reminded me routinely that it made me look like an old man. I sold it at roughly 286,000 miles and it was still on it's original drive train and rear airbags. The only major work it ever needed was a front suspension overhaul.

LockedBreech
03-13-2016, 04:08 PM
I don't think buying a new Subaru is an entirely stupid thing, considering you are getting a brand new car with a warranty. They hold their value really, really well. To get one in my price range (under $20k), I had to go a few years old and 62000 miles. The only other Outbacks in my price range were older and higher mileage.

Fortunately I found one that is near pristine besides the miles. It's like they drove it 62000 miles in one trip and then sold it back to the dealership....looks perfectly brand new inside. The other one I was looking at was a Limited, a year older with 20,000 more miles, and the interior was apparently used as a dog's chew toy for a Fairfax County firefighter (they had literally just got the car in, hadn't taken his stickers off yet).

Yeah and I paid for the extended warranty and gap coverage, so it's fully covered about 1 year PAST the period of my financing. It'll be covered in every way the entire time I owe money on it. And I have great credit so my interest rate is nearly nothing. So I feel okay about it despite hating a car payment.

Awesome that you got a good one. I baby the heck out of my cars. My 04 Honda, if you aren't familiar with the various generations of Accords, you'd probably have guessed was about 3-4 years old, not 12.

JM Campbell
03-13-2016, 04:16 PM

The rogue has:
Extremely low warranty complaints on drive train and the whole vehicle in general.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

JV_
03-13-2016, 04:20 PM
and gap coverage

Why did you get gap insurance?

LockedBreech
03-13-2016, 04:28 PM

It was cheap, and as I understand it if I total the vehicle it closes out the loan if my insurance doesn't cover it.

It might be for suckers, I dunno, but it was a few hundred bucks for a clause in my purchase agreement that says if the car dies, so does anything I still owe on the loan. Worth it to me.

JV_
03-13-2016, 04:48 PM
Worth it to me.That's the only thing that matters.

Totem Polar
03-13-2016, 04:58 PM
That's actually pretty cool.

Pics.

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab79/Sidheguitarist/DWC/bikez/Mobster_zpsnfew4hvu.jpg (http://s851.photobucket.com/user/Sidheguitarist/media/DWC/bikez/Mobster_zpsnfew4hvu.jpg.html)

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab79/Sidheguitarist/DWC/bikez/Hooooood_zpsekp1wjxe.jpg (http://s851.photobucket.com/user/Sidheguitarist/media/DWC/bikez/Hooooood_zpsekp1wjxe.jpg.html)

okie john
03-13-2016, 05:12 PM
Just after Christmas, I retired my 1998 Jeep Wrangler that had 205k miles and replaced it with a 2013 Volvo S60 T5.

The Jeep was cool but I do not miss it.

Okie John

LockedBreech
03-13-2016, 05:18 PM
Just after Christmas, I retired my 1998 Jeep Wrangler that had 205k miles and replaced it with a 2013 Volvo S60 T5.

The Jeep was cool but I do not miss it.

Okie John

Jeeps are badass, but I still have nightmares about maintaining my ex's 2000 Grand Cherokee. Was like a fuse blew or a piece fell off if you sneezed at it.

Crusader8207
03-13-2016, 05:24 PM
Just picked up the wife a 2016 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. Got rid of the van (thankfully). Our 2 year old refers to it as "Momma's cool car". Every time she sees a Jeep on the road she exclaims "Momma cool!!!" I don't get to drive it as much as I would like to.

LittleLebowski
03-13-2016, 05:37 PM
Jeeps are badass, but I still have nightmares about maintaining my ex's 2000 Grand Cherokee. Was like a fuse blew or a piece fell off if you sneezed at it.

It seems like there's a huge difference in reliability between the Grand Cherokees and the old Cherokees.

Shellback
03-13-2016, 05:38 PM
Something to be aware of with the Subarus... Wife has the 2013 Outback 3.6R and it's a great car in all respects, with one exception. The electronic emergency brake has locked up on several occasions and will not disengage. You have to use a special tool in the trunk kit and turn a manual disengagement screw about 200 revolutions by the passenger rear wheel, half way under the car, seriously. It is a major pain in the ass! Besides that, the car kicks ass in the snow, and runs like a champ.

TGS
03-13-2016, 06:11 PM
Something to be aware of with the Subarus... Wife has the 2013 Outback 3.6R and it's a great car in all respects, with one exception. The electronic emergency brake has locked up on several occasions and will not disengage. You have to use a special tool in the trunk kit and turn a manual disengagement screw about 200 revolutions by the passenger rear wheel, half way under the car, seriously. It is a major pain in the ass! Besides that, the car kicks ass in the snow, and runs like a champ.

Is this concerning the hill-assist? Can it still do this if it's not turned on, or does your wife use the hill assist?

Shellback
03-13-2016, 06:25 PM
Is this concerning the hill-assist? Can it still do this if it's not turned on, or does your wife use the hill assist?

Not using the hill assist, she doesn't even know what it is. Simply using the e-brake while parked and attempting to disengage it to start rolling after starting the car, nada. Car beeps at you, lights blink and nothing happens, no disengagement. It's happened 4 or 5 times and we've since stopped using the e-brake and no issues.

It's a known issue by Subaru and is covered in the manual. Just something to be aware of.

ETA - When trying to disengage it I mean about 30 or 40 times trying to do it. Not giving up after one or two tries.

voodoo_man
03-13-2016, 06:32 PM
Re; Rogue - my wife has a '13 Altima SL that she wants to replace with a newer vehicle (she gets a new car every 2-4 years), so the Rogue SL AWD seems like the right option because is really likes the Altima and wants to keep it but I need her to have an SUV.

Re; XV Crosstrek - I like the vehicle overall, it just needs to be a tad bit bigger in size, like more SUV less Impreza Wagon, but I may end up with one in '19 or '20 when my wife decides to get another car and I'll tell her to shove it as its my turn, lol.

orionz06
03-13-2016, 06:45 PM

It hasn't been too terribly expensive for us on bike and cars. A co-worker who told me it was BS just got his recent new car smoked and only has a few more months left of paying for the totaled car and its replacement.

LOKNLOD
03-13-2016, 06:56 PM
I just rolled over 3k miles on the new Tacoma I got after Thanksgiving, if that counts. I'm enjoying it and have thus far resisted the urge to spent any money on it.

JV_
03-13-2016, 07:00 PM
It hasn't been too terribly expensive for us on bike and cars. A co-worker who told me it was BS just got his recent new car smoked and only has a few more months left of paying for the totaled car and its replacement.

You have to run the numbers for each purchase.

A lot of it depends on what car you buy, the rate, and the term length. I tend to pay my cars off early, as long as they're not financed at 0%. For me, the number of months where gap insurance would be applicable is pretty small, and at that point, I'll run the risk.

TGS
03-13-2016, 07:02 PM
I've always heard people say to not buy all the extra insurances.

When my turn came on this buy in particular, I could see most of them were of dubious value. I denied everything except the 3 year comprehensive warranty for $1800........I figured the greater expense now is worth the piece of mind if my car ends up having gremlins. I did make sure to ask about any limitations (cost cap, where it can be serviced, ect) and the only catch is a $100 deductible.

JV_
03-13-2016, 07:08 PM
I will probably never buy gap insurance, I think it's largely covering a corner case and a backdoor to sweeten the deal for the dealer. I say that but I do buy cars which old their value longer, so there's less of a gap in the first place.

I will also not buy an extended warranty when purchasing a car. I always go online, to the many forums which support that car, and there's always a supporting dealer that will offer them for about $50 above cost. I got the extended warranty on our Toyota at about 1/2 the cost the dealer wanted at purchase time. I told them the price I could get it for, and he said he won't do the paperwork on it for $50 profit - it's not worth his time. That's fine with me. I've stopped trying.

orionz06
03-13-2016, 07:09 PM
You have to run the numbers for each purchase.

A lot of it depends on what car you buy, the rate, and the term length. I tend to pay my cars off early, as long as they're not financed at 0%. For me, the number of months where gap insurance would be applicable is pretty small, and at that point, I'll run the risk.

Yup.

Also depends on how the deal is worked. In the past I was able to work with the kid selling the car and get a low interest rate, buy a Zurich wheel/tire warranty, and the gap insurance and made out for less than what the anonymous dealer employees would post on a VW forum. Not much less but it was a solid deal that was less than what I was set on paying. The Zurich warranty has paid for multiple brand new sets of tires and for my dealer was merely padding their numbers.

littlejerry
03-13-2016, 08:36 PM
Looking seriously at a new Mazda 6. Full size sedan, handles well, available with a 6 speed manual. Also easy to find for low 20s new.

orionz06
03-13-2016, 08:43 PM
I will probably never buy gap insurance, I think it's largely covering a corner case and a backdoor to sweeten the deal for the dealer.

It sweetens the deal greatly for some makes.

okie john
03-13-2016, 09:07 PM
It seems like there's a huge difference in reliability between the Grand Cherokees and the old Cherokees.

I've had three Cherokees and a Comanche in addition to the Wrangler. All of them had the in-line six-cylinder engine. The Comanche died of neglect, much of which happened before I got it, but the rest ran strong.

Okie John

cosine
03-13-2016, 10:11 PM
You know what follows shortly after one's kid is born? A minivan for mom. Bought a new 2015 Toyota Sienna. Now I can finally haul stuff from the home center back to the house for the home improvement projects I'm planning.

Welder
03-13-2016, 10:36 PM

There definitely was back in the early 2000's when I was a Dodge / Jeep mechanic. The XJ's (Cherokees) were a tough, simple design that didn't change all that much between 1984 and 2001. The Grand Cherokees were in the shop for all sorts of problems by comparison. Never liked the Wranglers much, but they didn't give too much trouble, either. My own vehicle was an '01 XJ with 5-spd transmission, the last year of production. Had to drive to NC to find one; the stick shift late model XJ's were very rare.

We've done a lot of vehicle changing in the last 6 months. My wife now drives a '15 XV Crosstrek which I saw y'all were talking about earlier. Really nice car but I just have a hard time getting into all of the gizmos and widgets on these newer vehicles. Built-in nav, buttons all over the steering wheel, touchscreens, etc. If you like all of that stuff then you'll love the XV with the high option level packages. Hers is the orange color which was discontinued after '15.

The two cars I picked up are an '04 Corvette Z06 Z16 edition and a somewhat-modified '95 Miata R package that spent some time on the track before I got it. I'm in the vast minority, but I prefer the manual steering on the stripped-from-the-factory Miata and I also like the fact that the C5 didn't come with even one real cupholder (but the 'cupholder' does make a nice shallow spot where my flip-phone can ride).

voodoo_man
03-14-2016, 05:58 AM
You know what follows shortly after one's kid is born? A minivan for mom. Bought a new 2015 Toyota Sienna. Now I can finally haul stuff from the home center back to the house for the home improvement projects I'm planning.

Told my wife if she pops another one she gets a van, she went on to threaten me with a kitchen knife.

So much for that idea...

JV_
03-14-2016, 06:12 AM

After our first kid, I resisted getting a van for 2 years. Resisting was a mistake, they're amazingly convenient, especially as you fill up the other seats.

Kyle Reese
03-14-2016, 06:23 AM
I'd like to get an East German Trabant.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

JV_
03-14-2016, 06:31 AM
I'd like to get an East German Trabant.

I found one for you:

LittleLebowski
03-14-2016, 09:39 AM
My own vehicle was an '01 XJ with 5-spd transmission, the last year of production. Had to drive to NC to find one; the stick shift late model XJ's were very rare.

I would probably buy that now.

45dotACP
03-14-2016, 10:11 AM
Got my "done with college" car after my Accord died (after a very rough 230k mile life).

'13 Hyundai Elantra because 100k warranty and decent gas mileage...and it's the GT model in red because I didn't want to buy a car I'd always go the speed limit in.

Been awesome thus far...and even though winter isn't exactly the best time for a super tiny car.

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

11B10
03-14-2016, 10:15 AM
"new car?" Well, let's see - my wife drives an '02 Camry with approx. 15,000 miles (really was an old lady's car). I drive.....are you ready? A 2000 Mercedes Benz S430 that my brother bought new and sold to me a little over three years ago. It now has 252,000 on the odometer and has yet to squeak or rattle - no oil consumption, never less than 22 mpg. I used to be one of those guys that laughed at BMW and Benz drivers - not anymore! I do much of the routine stuff myself and have a close friend who does the heavy lifting, selling me replacement OEM parts at cost. I'll be honest here: I bought it because of the previous ownership and the support of my buddy. Oh - almost forgot - my really bad weather vehicle is a 1978 Chev. Cheyenne 4x4 that I bought from a neighbor. Most knowledgeable guys won't believe this, but as a former Chevy parts guy, I can tell you it's true: it has all the original sheet metal! Very few rust spots - NONE in the bed! Starts at the turn of the key and goes through/over anything. The only thing it won't get by - is a gas station. Full time 4WD will do that - even with the after market hubs.

Welder
03-14-2016, 05:21 PM

I haven't been following all of your house-buying threads so I'm not sure where you moved to, but there aren't very many places that an XJ won't take you. That particular Jeep is now owned by my uncle back on the home farm, and is his get-around vehicle. It's slowly descending into the pit of never-to-return as 'farm repairs' are made whenever anything needs worked on. I haven't seen any baler twine on it yet. Anyway, the 4.0 straight six was a great engine, and the last year or two that had coil-on-plug ignition topped out at just under 200 hp. Which despite the ridiculous power that modern engines make, is more than enough.

Heck, we used to haul cattle, silage, and stone on GMC medium-duty trucks with little 366 gas V8 engines (the smallest big blocks) powering them...those engines probably had all of 160 hp. Back then nobody knew you had to own a 300 hp diesel to pull around a trailer with a 4-wheeler on it. But I digress. And I suppose nobody needs a 405 hp Z06 to go to town in, either. So this pot had better stop calling the kettle black. :)

mmc45414
03-14-2016, 08:54 PM
Recently got a Focus ST an have been realizing I love my truck but have been missing having a car....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Duelist
03-14-2016, 09:17 PM
Traded off my 2wd 2000 F150 that I'd just put a third starter in (<18 months after the first new one) for a 2007 Durango 4x4. Bigger, more powerful engine, more comfortable ride, more internal cargo space. Worse mileage. Starts every time we get in it. Nervous to take it anywhere rough - it's too pretty to want to scratch up.

So far, I only occasionally miss the manual tranny, and since I'm babysitting a buddy's 2500HD Chevy Duramax while he's overseas, I don't have to miss having a truck yet.

Painkiller7
03-15-2016, 12:59 AM
My parents have a Crosstrek and Forester. Subies are some stout little machines. I had a 2000 forester when I was 16 and put that thing through hell and back.
As for new cars, since I've got a baby on the way, the ext cab powerstoke doesn't really have the room I'll need. I've been eyeballing some v6 tdi Touaregs.

LockedBreech
03-15-2016, 02:10 AM
My parents have a Crosstrek and Forester. Subies are some stout little machines. I had a 2000 forester when I was 16 and put that thing through hell and back.
As for new cars, since I've got a baby on the way, the ext cab powerstoke doesn't really have the room I'll need. I've been eyeballing some v6 tdi Touaregs.

A Touareg straight up saved my bacon, for what it's worth, on two occasions, both times I was the driver's side passenger. First time, horrible storm visiting the ex's family, going through Provo Canyon, UT. Pileup. Thanks to that thing's able handling we were literally the only car or one of the only cars out of 20+ to emerge unscathed. Second time was a straight up car-totaling T-bone (dude blew a red light). We all walked away unharmed.

Tough critters.

Corey
03-16-2016, 02:43 PM
I had a 1997 4Runner that finally died last fall with 315,000 miles on it. Subie's made the short list but I ended up buying a 2013 Honda CR-V that only had 14,000 miles on it. Got a great interest rate (1.49%) from my credit union, and with a 20% down payment they didn't even try to sell me gap insurance.

Love the CR-V, it is a great car. I have been getting little over 30 MPG with and it has plenty of room inside. I will be driving down to Arizona in a couple of months and I am really looking forward to being out on the open road with the CR-V.

LockedBreech
03-16-2016, 06:16 PM
I had a 1997 4Runner that finally died last fall with 315,000 miles on it. Subie's made the short list but I ended up buying a 2013 Honda CR-V that only had 14,000 miles on it. Got a great interest rate (1.49%) from my credit union, and with a 20% down payment they didn't even try to sell me gap insurance.

Love the CR-V, it is a great car. I have been getting little over 30 MPG with and it has plenty of room inside. I will be driving down to Arizona in a couple of months and I am really looking forward to being out on the open road with the CR-V.

Very very nearly went CR-V but the salesman was a jerk. I loved my Honda and they're about always a good choice.

rob_s
03-16-2016, 10:31 PM
Bought a 2016 Ram Crew Cab Sport HEMI in 2wd, white with black leather about 3 months ago. Got the unicorn,mad it was exactly the options I wanted without having to special order.

Wish I'd gotten the 4wd black Chevy z71 but maybe in two years.

vaspence
03-16-2016, 10:42 PM
I've had three Cherokees and a Comanche in addition to the Wrangler. All of them had the in-line six-cylinder engine. The Comanche died of neglect, much of which happened before I got it, but the rest ran strong.

Okie John

That Jeep inline 6 is a mule. I had a 99 XJ I should not have sold and just had the 92 YJ inspected today.

mmc45414
03-17-2016, 11:55 AM
Very very nearly went CR-V but the salesman was a jerk.

The Jeep salesman was a real jerk when I bought my Pontiac GXP.

LockedBreech
03-17-2016, 12:03 PM
The Jeep salesman was a real jerk when I bought my Pontiac GXP.

Wonder how many times that has been the tipping point on two great cars. All that money spent on advertising wrecked by one salesman.

rob_s
03-17-2016, 12:21 PM
Wonder how many times that has been the tipping point on two great cars. All that money spent on advertising wrecked by one salesman.

It largely led to my Dodge purchase over a GM. I stopped in a GM dealership, got some masshole with a Boston accent, couldn't seem to be bothered with me, and told me to come back in March (this was in December). Told him to take his carpetbagging ass back north and wound up with the Dodge.

iheartglock
03-17-2016, 01:11 PM
Picked this up last month. What is it with car salemen (and women)?? Was actually 95% sold on picking up a '16 Subaru WRX....until the genius sales lady said "no test drives". Do you really think I'm going to spend that kind of money on a new car that I've never driven?? The Toyota dealer OFFERED me a drive, I didn't have to ask! I'm typically not like this, but I couldn't help but email the lady back at Subaru (after she kept nagging me) and tell her that for what I paid for this truck, she could have up-sold me a WRX STi. Oh well for her.

JM Campbell
03-17-2016, 01:32 PM
Picked this up last month. What is it with car salemen (and women)?? Was actually 95% sold on picking up a '16 Subaru WRX....until the genius sales lady said "no test drives". Do you really think I'm going to spend that kind of money on a new car that I've never driven?? The Toyota dealer OFFERED me a drive, I didn't have to ask! I'm typically not like this, but I couldn't help but email the lady back at Subaru (after she kept nagging me) and tell her that for what I paid for this truck, she could have up-sold me a WRX STi. Oh well for her.
A customer can not take delivery of a new Nissan GTR without a test drive (of course there are steps you have to complete before the test drive, not any smo can walk in and drive one), stupid on her. In fact no customer can take delivery of a new or used car without a test drive at my company.

orionz06
03-17-2016, 02:23 PM
Was actually 95% sold on picking up a '16 Subaru WRX....until the genius sales lady said "no test drives".

WTF kinda dealer is that and more so what moron buys a vehicle without a test drive?

Chuck Whitlock
03-17-2016, 02:50 PM
There definitely was back in the early 2000's when I was a Dodge / Jeep mechanic. The XJ's (Cherokees) were a tough, simple design that didn't change all that much between 1984 and 2001. The Grand Cherokees were in the shop for all sorts of problems by comparison. Never liked the Wranglers much, but they didn't give too much trouble, either. My own vehicle was an '01 XJ with 5-spd transmission, the last year of production. Had to drive to NC to find one; the stick shift late model XJ's were very rare.

Interestingly, I just came across a '99 Cherokee with a stick shift. Not 4WD, but it is pretty clean.

iheartglock
03-17-2016, 02:52 PM
A customer can not take delivery of a new Nissan GTR without a test drive (of course there are steps you have to complete before the test drive, not any smo can walk in and drive one), stupid on her. In fact no customer can take delivery of a new or used car without a test drive at my company.

WTF kinda dealer is that and more so what moron buys a vehicle without a test drive?

Yeah, my thoughts exactly, both ways. She even went as far as saying "we could sell you the car subject to driving it" when I pressed the issue..... but seriously, are you f***ing kidding me? Nobody is pulling my credit until I'm serious about buying, and I'm not serious about buying without driving. I was truly impressed at the stupidity. I considered talking to the sales manager but instead said F it and left. Happy I did!

RevolverRob
03-17-2016, 03:06 PM
Sales people are dumb. I worked sales for years. It's not difficult to be a good salesperson. But you have to be passionate about what you are selling. And remember, the person who comes onto your lot/into your showroom is already more than half-way to spending money. All you have to do is work with them to get what they want (and you want).

A new car sounds nice, but that is a way off for me. I admit, the old man in me is digging the new Lincoln Continental. The young man in me screaming mercilessly going, "CONTINENTAL?! A GT350R is only 10k more!!! What are you about to retire?!"

-Rob

LockedBreech
03-17-2016, 03:13 PM
My Subaru sales guy was just the best. After the sleazy delivery of the Honda sales guy (asked what I did for work and then later condescendingly called me "Mr. Lawyer" when I was truly very politely negotiating) it was a breath of fresh air. Zero hard sell treatment, wanted me to test drive everything on the lot, was super respectful when negotiating. I'd buy five more cars from that guy.

Edit: in fact you know what, I'll even plug him. Jay True at Courtesy Subaru in Rapid City, SD

Edit 2: wait is that allowed? Mods please kill my post with my apologies if not

TGS
03-17-2016, 04:02 PM
Picked this up last month. What is it with car salemen (and women)?? Was actually 95% sold on picking up a '16 Subaru WRX....until the genius sales lady said "no test drives". Do you really think I'm going to spend that kind of money on a new car that I've never driven??

They probably didn't think you were a real buyer. Lots of people show up to test drive cool cars without any intention of buying.

My Subaru sales guy was just the best. After the sleazy delivery of the Honda sales guy (asked what I did for work and then later condescendingly called me "Mr. Lawyer" when I was truly very politely negotiating) it was a breath of fresh air. Zero hard sell treatment, wanted me to test drive everything on the lot, was super respectful when negotiating. I'd buy five more cars from that guy.

Edit: in fact you know what, I'll even plug him. Jay True at Courtesy Subaru in Rapid City, SD

Edit 2: wait is that allowed? Mods please kill my post with my apologies if not

Sounds like every subaru dealership I've been to. They tend to be that way because it fits their target audience (loyalists) better than the average Honda/Toyota/Nissan/Chevy/et al dealership.

LockedBreech
03-17-2016, 04:37 PM
They probably didn't think you were a real buyer. Lots of people show up to test drive cool cars without any intention of buying.

Sounds like every subaru dealership I've been to. They tend to be that way because it fits their target audience (loyalists) better than the average Honda/Toyota/Nissan/Chevy/et al dealership.

Well shoot, if their strategy is politeness and no pressure, consider me a loyalist :D

JV_
03-17-2016, 05:11 PM
I've always test driven the same model car I'm buying, but may not have driven the exact car I'm taking home.

Looking back, that was a mistake, it would have saved me a few trips to the dealer for squeaks fixes.

JM Campbell
03-17-2016, 05:44 PM
I've always test driven the same model car I'm buying, but may not have driven the exact car I'm taking home.

Looking back, that was a mistake, it would have saved me a few trips to the dealer for squeaks fixes.
Pure gold right there gents.

Vinh
03-17-2016, 06:17 PM
Regarding the WRX, no test drives for in-demand, fast cars is fairly common practice. Back when I was 25, I wanted to buy a new 350Z, but no one would let me test drive one. Bought a used 911 instead with a take-home overnight test drive.

LockedBreech
03-17-2016, 06:22 PM
Regarding the WRX, no test drives for in-demand, fast cars is fairly common practice. Back when I was 25, I wanted to buy a new 350Z, but no one would let me test drive one. Bought a used 911 instead with a take-home overnight test drive.

Regardless of practice, I would never buy a car with a "no test drives" policy or a gun with a "no touching" policy. Asking for me to spend significant sums and then in the same sentence saying you don't trust me is an extra disrespectful middle finger in my opinion.

iheartglock
03-17-2016, 06:23 PM

Maybe. However, if she couldn't tell by the emailing back and forth about a single, specific car, getting that specific car's VIN to talk to my insurance agent, and knowing I drove the vehicle I planned on trading 2 hours to get there that morning, that I was a serious, real buyer....she needs her head checked.

orionz06
03-17-2016, 07:14 PM

Usually only for kids.

Welder
03-17-2016, 07:57 PM
Interestingly, I just came across a '99 Cherokee with a stick shift. Not 4WD, but it is pretty clean.

Now that is a REAL oddball, at least here in VA. 2WD's aren't really seen much here, except for RH drive mail-delivery vehicles. Can't say I've ever seen a 2WD stick-shift XJ unless it was a stripped-down 4-cyl model.

Jim Watson
03-17-2016, 11:48 PM

Just after the stone age, I was pretty much pre-sold on the then-new RX7.
I got a test drive in the second one delivered here because they bashed it getting it off the transporter so it was hung up waiting on a rocker panel. Otherwise, it was spoken for and would have sold right off the truck.
Love at first Zoom.
I got the next one that came in because the several people ahead of me on the waiting list agreed that its red-bronze paint job was not what any of them wanted.

When I went to get it, a prospect asked me if he could drive it. A mechanic whispered that he was hard on cars and would hotrod mine, even though the rotary had a break-in ritual that was strict even by 1978 standards. So I turned him down.

Would I have bought it if a dent had not let me try one out? I dunno.

In my Golden Years, I got a weekend test of a used Toyota Sienna. I liked it and bought a new one. Still hauling shooters to the ranges after 9 years.

SecondsCount
03-17-2016, 11:50 PM
2010 Dark Cherry Maxima that I just picked up for my wife.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/tightgroup/motors/darkcherrymax2.png

rob_s
03-18-2016, 07:19 AM

Usually only for kids.

I bought a 2005 GTO right off the boat, at a dealership 5 hours away from me. When I went to look at the 2004 model at a local dealer, I got stuck with a salesman that was probably in his 60s, overweight, Yankee, miserable, and clearly hated me. He also clearly thought that there must be no way that I, at 30 years old, could possibly afford a $35k car in 2005. He barely even wanted to let me breathe on it.

I found the out of town dealer on the GTO forums. A sales guy there, about my same age, had taken it upon himself to sell the shit out of the GTO because he loved the car. He and I hooked up via PM, moved it to email, and I had all my paperwork done before I left town, and they paid for the rental car for me to drive up and pick up the new car.

Dealerships would be smart to try and pair up salespeople with customers, rather than just stick the next guy through the door with the next moron outside on a smoke break. Sticking me with some fat, old, guido is pretty much guaranteed to get you no sale. Likewise, now that it's 2016, they would also be wise to let a "kid" run their "internet sales" department instead of having some old fuck, or worse the old fuck's secretary, answer every email that comes in with "when would be a good time to call you?" You know when? When you're not fucking stupid. If I wanted to talk to you on the phone I would have called you on the phone. Find a young guy to run that department (like some of the Toyota dealerships I've dealt with) and leave him alone. You'll sell cars with zero effort and the customer that buys online will literally walk in, take their car, and walk out.

But none of this is really specific to car dealerships. There is a large amount of this in all sales, and every business has some amount of sales. My first construction company was run, and owned, by old men. While I enjoyed working there, getting anything "new" done was next to impossible. Several companies later and most of my bosses are younger than me. There's still some resistance to change due to the construction business being what it is, but it's night and day dealing with guys that are <40 and really just getting started vs. >50 and starting the downward slide (professionally).

Exurbankevin
03-18-2016, 09:46 AM
Recently got a Focus ST an have been realizing I love my truck but have been missing having a car....

I've been car-shopping for over a year now. I wanted something fun to drive (I had been driving a Civic Hybrid, which is... not fun), and my sons dictated it must have four doors and an actual back seat. I had narrowed it down to the Focus ST, a GTI, a Mazda Speed 3 and a Civic SI, when I found a new ST without all the bells and whistles upgrades at a dealer near me.

I'm simply blown away by the fact I now own a four door compact car with performance equal to Thomas Magnum's Ferrari. We are living in a golden age of horsepower.

SecondsCount
03-18-2016, 10:04 AM
I've been car-shopping for over a year now. I wanted something fun to drive (I had been driving a Civic Hybrid, which is... not fun), and my sons dictated it must have four doors and an actual back seat. I had narrowed it down to the Focus ST, a GTI, a Mazda Speed 3 and a Civic SI, when I found a new ST without all the bells and whistles upgrades at a dealer near me.

I'm simply blown away by the fact I now own a four door compact car with performance equal to Thomas Magnum's Ferrari. We are living in a golden age of horsepower.

Very nice!

I have a friend that has one and have driven it. Fun car but too small for my needs.

hurley842002
03-18-2016, 10:06 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160318/02de796293b7aa46966468c1b2404d41.jpg

11 Xterra Pro4x. Love it so far, and the thing moves for an SUV.

mmc45414
03-19-2016, 07:16 AM

Or even worse, just a stupid sticker on the door.

I had a XJ Cherokee and a Grand Prix that used to be my mom's. Thought I could combine them and was looking at the Liberty with the (then new) CDI diesel. Drove one at the closest dealer, liked the vehicle but the showroom had the No CC signs. So I go check out the dealer across town and while they have no CC signs, the nitwit does a trial close on me and refuses to do a simple inventory search (where he would find the one I was interested in that I had already found on the www) before I verbally commit to buy it at the approximate price point he was pulling out of his ass. Being in sales myself I find it particularly difficult to deal with poor tradecraft, so I broke contact and headed out of there, considering just going to the dealer that had the one I thought I wanted that was only 40 miles from home. Somewhere in the process I stopped in at a GMC dealer and drove the Colorado and really didn't like it (this was back in 2006) and started contemplating the delta in mileage and cost to the full size truck was not that much. And the salesman commented that the mileage was using some of the same tricks that were used in the Grand Prix GXP with the 302hp 5.3L aluminum V8 and I said:

Got any of those here?.... :)

mmc45414
03-19-2016, 07:20 AM
Picked this up last month.
Cool Taco...

mmc45414
03-19-2016, 07:31 AM
I found a new ST without all the bells and whistles upgrades at a dealer near me.

Great analogy on the Ferrari, I would have to look it up but I might guess they probably cost the same.

Like every other guy my age I thought I wanted a Mustang, but rented one on a trip and was not sure that was what I wanted to deal with daily and thought I would be better off with something not quite as fast but could be useful year round. Boy am I glad I did, we have had a mild winter but I would have had a Mustang cooped up in the garage under a cover while I scraped my truck windows all winter. This thing is plenty fast and I get to enjoy it everyday, and I keep the miles offa my truck unless I need a truck. I also got a basic one, the only option is all weather tires instead of summer tires. I might end up with a second set for winter someday but didn't want to take delivery of a car in the fall with tires I had to switch out.
A good friend has a dealership a couple hours away, had another friend fly me down in his 172.

Nephrology
03-19-2016, 08:18 AM
I got a CPO Rav4 Sport about 3 years ago. Great car. Only complaint was that I got the 4cyl.... it does not do well when I get up to Vail Pass. I'm not going to be in the market for a new car for a while, but when I do, I'll be looking at 4Runners for sure.

Exurbankevin
03-19-2016, 10:40 AM
I also got a basic one, the only option is all weather tires instead of summer tires. I might end up with a second set for winter someday but didn't want to take delivery of a car in the fall with tires I had to switch out.

Yeah, I live in Florida, and the only option was also all-weather tires. That's like getting heated seats here, what's the @#$!!$% point? Those tires are getting swapped out for something stickier at the first opportunity I get.

rob_s
03-20-2016, 07:43 AM
Yeah, I live in Florida, and the only option was also all-weather tires. That's like getting heated seats here, what's the @#$!!$% point? Those tires are getting swapped out for something stickier at the first opportunity I get.

I live in Florida. I have heated seats on my truck. Heated and cooled actually. Love both.

Hansohn Brothers
03-20-2016, 07:55 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160320/51d7cf4a2d29124876df1fdef7b6328a.jpg

Picked this up 3 weeks ago. Sold my '03 Dakota, '02 SVT Focus and BMW F800. Kinda nice having to maintain just 1 vehicle. ;)

JM Campbell
03-20-2016, 10:33 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160320/51d7cf4a2d29124876df1fdef7b6328a.jpg

Picked this up 3 weeks ago. Sold my '03 Dakota, '02 SVT Focus and BMW F800. Kinda nice having to maintain just 1 vehicle. ;)
Plus a bunch of NFA items look bad ass in it.
[emoji41]

Salamander
03-22-2016, 01:06 AM

We've done a lot of vehicle changing in the last 6 months. My wife now drives a '15 XV Crosstrek which I saw y'all were talking about earlier. Really nice car but I just have a hard time getting into all of the gizmos and widgets on these newer vehicles. Built-in nav, buttons all over the steering wheel, touchscreens, etc. If you like all of that stuff then you'll love the XV with the high option level packages. Hers is the orange color which was discontinued after '15.

The two cars I picked up are an '04 Corvette Z06 Z16 edition and a somewhat-modified '95 Miata R package that spent some time on the track before I got it. I'm in the vast minority, but I prefer the manual steering on the stripped-from-the-factory Miata and I also like the fact that the C5 didn't come with even one real cupholder (but the 'cupholder' does make a nice shallow spot where my flip-phone can ride).

Bought my Cherokee new in 1999 and it's still going strong at 180,000 miles. Very reliable vehicle. We've finally worn out another one, a 2000, a company vehicle; that one lasted 260,000 miles with many of them on construction sites and often driven by technicians who didn't exactly baby the vehicle.

I'm thinking about getting something new, needs to be able to handle a mix of highway and easy offroad, up to national forest roads or construction sites, not a hard core four wheeler but AWD and with some ground clearance. I've considered the Crosstrek among others, haven't driven one yet. Anyone able to offer impressions? We have lots of mountain grades here, and I've seen a few reviews that claim it's a little underpowered. For comparison, a '99 Cherokee with the 4.0 L is barely adequate for the hills here. The Mazda CX5 is also under consideration and the 2.5 L AWD does fine on the hills, 8.5 inches ground clearance.

Seven_Sicks_Two
03-22-2016, 02:16 AM
Well I've got a new to me car... but one that isn't even remotely new. It's a '93 Honda Accord that was owned by a guy that was moving into a retirement home. Over 22 years old and it only had 103k on the odometer. After the purchase, the owner's daughter handed me a manila envelope with over two decades of service records from the local Honda dealer. Both the interior and the exterior were immaculate. It cost me all of $1,500 last July.

That Accord replaced the '03 VW GTI that I bought brand new in October 2002 as an 18 year old kid. I put 219k on that thing before it threw in the towel. I'm hoping to get a few years out of the Honda so that I can get a loan to buy a house. My morning commute is a whopping 3.6 miles, so I think I'm go to go for a little while longer.

I miss having a "fun to drive" car in the GTI, but that Honda came along at just the right time and does exactly what I need it to do.

SecondsCount
03-22-2016, 09:45 AM
I'm thinking about getting something new, needs to be able to handle a mix of highway and easy offroad, up to national forest roads or construction sites, not a hard core four wheeler but AWD and with some ground clearance. I've considered the Crosstrek among others, haven't driven one yet. Anyone able to offer impressions? We have lots of mountain grades here, and I've seen a few reviews that claim it's a little underpowered. For comparison, a '99 Cherokee with the 4.0 L is barely adequate for the hills here. The Mazda CX5 is also under consideration and the 2.5 L AWD does fine on the hills, 8.5 inches ground clearance.

Once again I will throw in my vote for a Toyota Venza. AWD, handles great and ride is smooth, plenty of power with the 268 HP V6 option, and mileage is decent with an average in the mid 20's. Mine has been nearly 100% reliable with the only issue in 98K miles is a wheel sensor.

OnionsAndDragons
03-22-2016, 10:26 AM
Well I've got a new to me car... but one that isn't even remotely new. It's a '93 Honda Accord that was owned by a guy that was moving into a retirement home. Over 22 years old and it only had 103k on the odometer. After the purchase, the owner's daughter handed me a manila envelope with over two decades of service records from the local Honda dealer. Both the interior and the exterior were immaculate. It cost me all of $1,500 last July.

That Accord replaced the '03 VW GTI that I bought brand new in October 2002 as an 18 year old kid. I put 219k on that thing before it threw in the towel. I'm hoping to get a few years out of the Honda so that I can get a loan to buy a house. My morning commute is a whopping 3.6 miles, so I think I'm go to go for a little while longer.

I miss having a "fun to drive" car in the GTI, but that Honda came along at just the right time and does exactly what I need it to do.

Man, that is awesome.

My Beetle kicked 2 years ago after nearly 10 of dutiful service. It was quick and super fun to drive with the turbo. I had a very similar fortunate experience looking for a replacement interim car.

Found a 2-door Kia Sportage 4x4, ~50k on it, driven all by a female college student commuting back and forth on vacations. It was nice inside, and her dad did all of the small maintenance, dealer did the major stuff and all receipts were available to me. Even had extra lock hubs for the 4WD. I think I got him down to $2300 cash. I'm gonna have to drop 3-500 on a new top for it in the next year, but I expect to get a lot more service out of it since most of my driving is close to home.

On the new car front, Hannah got a barely used Hyundai Veloster a few months ago. It's a nifty little thing, though we both wish it were a manual trans...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LockedBreech
03-22-2016, 06:27 PM

As much as I've been loving the honeymoon with my '16 Outback Limited, I will always, always feel guilty for killing my '04 Accord. That car was the definition of steadfast reliability and with only 81K on the odo I know it had so much left to give.

Chuck Whitlock
03-25-2016, 01:29 PM
Now that is a REAL oddball, at least here in VA. 2WD's aren't really seen much here, except for RH drive mail-delivery vehicles. Can't say I've ever seen a 2WD stick-shift XJ unless it was a stripped-down 4-cyl model.

I've only ever seen one other Cherokee w/ a stick.....an '01 4x4 that I got beat out on. It looks like this one is a 4 cyl. model. If it were the 4x4 and I6, it would be in my driveway already.

JAD
03-25-2016, 01:46 PM
Selling cars is a tough gig. I did it fresh out of school for two months -- wiped the floor with the tards, took some poor guy for 15% over sticker which was a /great/ education in the idea that even if guilt is the only penalty for a bad action it's still not worth it, and then realized that I had worked 72 hours a week every single week I'd been there, and I was averaging $20 an hour. Worked my way into B2B and am a very happy man who loves what he does and spends a lot of time with his kid.

LockedBreech
03-25-2016, 10:35 PM
even if guilt is the only penalty for a bad action it's still not worth it.

This is good. I'll remember this.

JAD
03-25-2016, 10:36 PM
This is good. I'll remember this.

So have I.

Duelist
03-26-2016, 01:00 AM

That is a killer car. I would have one *right now* if I came across a reasonable deal on one that wasn't beaten to death. Got my daughter a 98 Civic last year to take to college, and paid $1500 for it. Wears me out to drive very far, (size doesn't agree with my joints) but it is a great car.

LittleLebowski
03-26-2016, 07:28 AM
That is a killer car. I would have one *right now* if I came across a reasonable deal on one that wasn't beaten to death. Got my daughter a 98 Civic last year to take to college, and paid $1500 for it. Wears me out to drive very far, (size doesn't agree with my joints) but it is a great car.

I miss the smaller, sensible Civics that were just good, fun to drive but economical cars.

JV_
05-14-2016, 03:43 PM
For all of you Subaru owners (2016-17 Legacies and 2015-17 Outbacks):

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2016/05/a_recall_so_serious_automaker_warns_stop_driving_t .html

"The steering column in your vehicle may not have been manufactured to specification," Subaru says in a customer service message online. "If this condition exists, turning the steering wheel may have no effect on the direction of the wheels, increasing the risk of a crash."

LockedBreech
05-14-2016, 04:30 PM
For all of you Subaru owners (2016-17 Legacies and 2015-17 Outbacks):

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2016/05/a_recall_so_serious_automaker_warns_stop_driving_t .html

Well frick. Glad I'm darn close to scheduled maintenance.